Leather on dash delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
UPDATE
Vehicle was left at the dealer while wife and I traveled to Jamaica for a week at a Sandals Resort. Arrived home late Wednesday night, checked phone messages Thursday morning, dealer had completed the replacement while we were gone. Covered under warranty, dash looks new, no electrical issues, pleased with out come, but fail to understand why a special OK was necessary for what should be an ordinary warranty issue.
I have no way of knowing for sure but I suspect the approving managers are incentivized by GM to closely monitor the total amount of warrany approvals. I am sure they must be looking for any reason whatsoever to deny any claim and all claims must be preapproved.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:27 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,146 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I have no way of knowing for sure but I suspect the approving managers are incentivized by GM to closely monitor the total amount of warrany approvals. I am sure they must be looking for any reason whatsoever to deny any claim and all claims must be preapproved.
Some dealer Service Managers have more latitude with warranty approvals than do others. This difference is dependent on whether the dealership's warranty experience is within guidelines or not. The warranty system is incredibly complicated and people would have just no idea how in detail it is tracked.

Any time a part of any kind is replaced, the dealer has to hold that part for a period of time. The claim is submitted and the factory has the right to review the claim and call for the part to be sent to them as a "return". It is then inspected and a determination is made as to whether the part should have actually been replaced. Obviously, in the case of trim parts, there are a variety of conditions that could be interpreted. Often, with parts in a problem area, almost 100% are called for and often these are shared with the supplier for information of improvement. Suppliers also have a failure rate they must fall within or they can be responsible for the parts or can ultimately lose the contract.

Contrary to popular opinion, dealers nor the factory are working to reject any claim they can. Both dealers and the factory want to satisfy the customer if there is actually something that should be covered under warranty. On the other hand, the factory does not want to pay for problems they are not responsible for and dealers do not want warranty claims rejected and they have to eat them. When replacing a $3,000 leather dash, pre-approval can be the prudent move. Trim items have always been a controversial area and very often a source of faulty claims.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Some dealer Service Managers have more latitude with warranty approvals than do others. This difference is dependent on whether the dealership's warranty experience is within guidelines or not. The warranty system is incredibly complicated and people would have just no idea how in detail it is tracked.

Any time a part of any kind is replaced, the dealer has to hold that part for a period of time. The claim is submitted and the factory has the right to review the claim and call for the part to be sent to them as a "return". It is then inspected and a determination is made as to whether the part should have actually been replaced. Obviously, in the case of trim parts, there are a variety of conditions that could be interpreted. Often, with parts in a problem area, almost 100% are called for and often these are shared with the supplier for information of improvement. Suppliers also have a failure rate they must fall within or they can be responsible for the parts or can ultimately lose the contract.

Contrary to popular opinion, dealers nor the factory are working to reject any claim they can. Both dealers and the factory want to satisfy the customer if there is actually something that should be covered under warranty. On the other hand, the factory does not want to pay for problems they are not responsible for and dealers do not want warranty claims rejected and they have to eat them. When replacing a $3,000 leather dash, pre-approval can be the prudent move. Trim items have always been a controversial area and very often a source of faulty claims.
Might need to Chev. Dealer shop for a warranty claim on something this subjective to interpretation. Especially when dealers' Service Managers may have varying degrees of latitude on this.
​​​​​​​
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,146 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Might need to Chev. Dealer shop for a warranty claim on something this subjective to interpretation. Especially when dealers' Service Managers may have varying degrees of latitude on this.
Let me re-phrase that a bit because it could be a little misleading. Some Service Managers may be more able to self authorize the repair and more confident to do so without seeking guidance. At the end of the day though the warranty repair must meet the same factory criteria and can be charged back to the dealer if it is found lacking. One dealer will not have an advantage over another to be able to get it handled under warranty but may be able to do it more expeditiously. Some dealers may also have been through this repair previously and have more experience dealing with it.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Thanks for the amplification, ​​​​​​​^^^ JALLEN. 👍
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
UPDATE
Vehicle was left at the dealer while wife and I traveled to Jamaica for a week at a Sandals Resort. Arrived home late Wednesday night, checked phone messages Thursday morning, dealer had completed the replacement while we were gone. Covered under warranty, dash looks new, no electrical issues, pleased with out come, but fail to understand why a special OK was necessary for what should be an ordinary warranty issue.
Whas your car still in the 3 year warranty? I believe after 3rd year this would not be covered?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by smajicek
Whas your car still in the 3 year warranty? I believe after 3rd year this would not be covered?
Yes still under warranty, and while the leather dash is technically a trim item, it is not subjected to any type of continual wear, as where many other interior items are. Cleaned with a microfiber and water only.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:46 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Unacceptable and unsatisfactory! Personally could not tolerate looking at this everyday and wouldn't. If GM won't fix it they would lose my business forever to someone else. To those who think this is ok, or just to live with it....you have lost your mind!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

When I brought my car in for the dash replacement it was approved on the spot. And I didn't purchase my car at this dealer. There are some good ones out there.
MMD (11-10-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 AM
gandkand3
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big bubble in front of the HUD

So I've had my 18 Z06 for about three months and I noticed a huge bubble in the dash right in front of the HUD. I talked to my sales guy here at Hendrick and he said to bring it in for a warranty repair and their was a service bulletin Now I'm a little scared after reading about all the electronics that will be affected if they do a dash replacement. Maybe I didn't read far enough, but I didn't see anyone talking about results after having their dash replaced..... just a lot of people saying they are going to live with their problems to avoid a dash replacement.
Coach32 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:31 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gandkand3
So I've had my 18 Z06 for about three months and I noticed a huge bubble in the dash right in front of the HUD. I talked to my sales guy here at Hendrick and he said to bring it in for a warranty repair and their was a service bulletin Now I'm a little scared after reading about all the electronics that will be affected if they do a dash replacement. Maybe I didn't read far enough, but I didn't see anyone talking about results after having their dash replaced..... just a lot of people saying they are going to live with their problems to avoid a dash replacement.
Do you think you could find what the TSB number is that you mentioned and post it here? TIA
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM
gandkand3
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time I get to the dealership I'll see if I can get that. As soon as I called and talked to my sales rep he knew right away about the issue and said it was a TSB for all 2&3LT trims for the dash. When I originally called for the service appointment the service advisor didn't know anything about it. I had to cancel that appointentment to get a different issue taken care of first thats going to take two to three weeks. Had dogs or something jump all over the car and scratch it up pretty good on Halloween. I have pics on another post.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Next time I get to the dealership I'll see if I can get that. As soon as I called and talked to my sales rep he knew right away about the issue and said it was a TSB for all 2&3LT trims for the dash. When I originally called for the service appointment the service advisor didn't know anything about it. I had to cancel that appointentment to get a different issue taken care of first thats going to take two to three weeks. Had dogs or something jump all over the car and scratch it up pretty good on Halloween. I have pics on another post.
dogs...scratching a Corvette! Now that's something you don't hear about every day.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Maybe I didn't read far enough, but I didn't see anyone talking about results after having their dash replaced..... just a lot of people saying they are going to live with their problems to avoid a dash replacement.
My dealer did the dash replacement flawlessly. No damage to inside of car, no rattles etc. You need to choose a good dealer.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Even if you could call your dealer and get the TSB# and date would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jim
MMD (11-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Mark Another 3LT with the horrible dash issue. My Car is far out of the Warranty. Im going to call the dealership first and see what they say
Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone with a 2019 3LT have this problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JFJr
Anyone with a 2019 3LT have this problem?
too early to say if 19s 3LTs will be impacted. Need too wait another summer season.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:06 PM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Update on my 3LT. Gm is replacing mine as a goodwill. 31k miles on the car. 2014. Looks like they will have it a total of 15-20 days.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

^^^
That's great news. The first I've hear of full goodwill for a car out of warranty. The job itself takes two days once they have the part.

Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating