C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking NEWS - 2019 Orders start early!

Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Those features should be in Corvette now since its supposed to be the technology leader in Chevrolet. Its pretty sad that a Toyota at half the price has those features. Corvette does not have the latest tech any more no matter which model you get.
I strongly disagree with you on this observation. Corvette has never been the technology leader. The emphasis has always been on performance, which isn't just about HP/TQ, it's also about light weight. The latter usually means leaving certain thing off for weight savings. High performance street cars represent a complex design compromise.

Every new system or piece of new technology requires a new module or some other bits and pieces, and every little nut, bolt, and box counts on the scales.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:42 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

GM does not agree with you.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...cal-oview.html

Here is a snip from that link.

Corvette established its reputation as leader in technology, design and performance from the moment its sleek, fiberglass-bodied concept was introduced at the General Motors Motorama exposition at New York City’s Waldorf Astoria hotel, on Jan. 17, 1953
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, that's just marketing-speak. Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter, as well as his predecessors, have many times said otherwise. You can peruse that at your leisure in the "Ask Tadge" section of this forum, when he addressed this very issue.

It's hard to argue Corvette is a technology leader when they still incorporate engines w/ push rods, and suspensions with leaf springs, but they are tried and true. Corvette has positioned itself as the value leader in high performance, street sports cars.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-21-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
1950silverstreak (10-21-2017), Maxie2U (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I also agree that the Corvette has never been GM's technology leader, Cadillac has always been the GM brand to offer up the latest in new stuff. Heck, just look at the interiors in the C5 and C6, many of the things in those cars were straight out of the parts bins from Cobalts and Malibus.

I'd rather have a new Corvette priced in the mid $60,000s (CDN dollars) and be rather basic than have all the gadgets and need to start in the mid $70s.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
Foosh (10-21-2017), MikeyTX (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:29 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that's just marketing-speak. Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter, as well as his predecessors, have many times said otherwise. You can peruse that at your leisure in the "Ask Tadge" section of this forum, when he addressed this very issue.

It's hard to argue Corvette is a technology leader when they still incorporate engines w/ push rods, and suspensions with leaf springs, but they are tried and true. Corvette has positioned itself as the value leader in high performance, street sports cars.
Push rod engines and transverse leaf springs are not inherently without technology.

To compare different suspension types and call one more technologically advanced as another is incorrect. Each has design strengths and weaknesses. However the comparison between same type suspension can shed light on technology.

The traverse composite leaf spring is for example more technologically advanced versus a pickup truck leaf spring.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I know. I said it was tried and true, and agree it's been adapted and perfected. The Porsche 911 is a another great example of the perfection of an old and somewhat flawed design using technology.

That wasn't the main point, just an example, but no one else is using push rod engines, the leaf spring concept, or builds cars with the engine behind the rear axle, anymore. They are considered out-dated by modern standards, even though a lot of technology is still invested in them by the companies still building them.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-21-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,057 Posts

The only gadgets I want are performance gadgets. Like supercharger, MSRC, NPP exhaust, etc. Those are my kind of gadgets. That is why I have a 1LT package, and on the next one will be a manual tranny. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
AZ is a blast! Don't miss Oregon one bit. Just the people, but our friends and relatives are starting to come down in droves now to visit us. Could it be the weather up there? Sorry. I couldn't help myself.
Go ahead rub it in .

THe rain (and cold) has started here in Portland. This weekend alone we are expected to get three inches of rain. I am so tired of the rain and it's only fall

I would move in a heartbeat to Arizona if it wasn't for my wife's refusal to move. I understand why, our cuties (grand kids) and our kids live close by and we see them all the time.

But I'm not sure I can take another winter so I may have to get a winter place in AZ.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Those features should be in Corvette now since its supposed to be the technology leader in Chevrolet. Its pretty sad that a Toyota at half the price has those features. Corvette does not have the latest tech any more no matter which model you get.
I for one don't want ANY of those features in my Corvette. My other cars, yes all of them.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:11 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I for one don't want ANY of those features in my Corvette. My other cars, yes all of them.
I think any car at this price point should be available with all the best safety features that are out there. Just having a fast car is not enough these days in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Patman
Race Director

I think any car at this price point should be available with all the best safety features that are out there. Just having a fast car is not enough these days in my opinion.
If we want to continue seeing the Corvette priced as low as it is, then they can't offer the latest gadgets, you can't have it both ways. The Corvette is all about affordable performance, and always has been so I don't see them straying from that philosophy anytime soon. If you want a sports car with all the latest tech, you're gonna have to move up into a higher price bracket, it's as simple as that.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Corvette is all about performance but it is probably still the most comfortable sports car around. Who cares about electronic assist gadgets that don't affect performance that only increase weight and price. Heated seats are nice since GM's almost leather is cold during cool days and real hot during warm days.

Besides Corvette has 16 valve push rod motor with leaf springs in the rear. Not exactly a technology leader but I'm glad it is that way.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

OHC tech actually predates OHV tech in auto use. And neither is new tech. Just different tech with different pros/cons.

I welcome features that aid performance in my Corvettes. Would rather not have to buy features that don't (if they're stand-alone options, then great as I appreciate the fact some would like to have them). These cars are becoming heavy turds. I don't want any more crap added to my sports cars.

In my family car - you bet, bring 'em on. Just not in my sports car.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
LT1 Z51 (10-21-2017), Patman (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by OnPoint
These cars are becoming heavy turds. I don't want any more crap added to my sports cars.
I appreciate the fact that the Corvette has kept it's weight down compared to other rear drive V8s. Just look at how bloated the Camaro and Mustang have become! I remember the days when a Mustang 5.0 LX coupe weighed just a tick over 3100 pounds. Now the V8 Mustang is 3700 pounds! The Camaro was never as light as that back in the 80s but it too weighs around 3700 pounds now.

I ordered my C7 as a 1LT not only to save money but to keep the car simple and lighter. I don't absolutely need heated/vented seats, heads up display, more speakers for my stereo (that I won't listen to often anyways), etc. Just give me the basic Corvette without all the added weight and price tag and I'll still be very happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
3 Z06ZR1 (10-22-2017), OnPoint (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Patman - I agree. I think team Corvette has done a pretty good job of balancing these interests, and your comparison of the other cars is a good one. Tastes evolve, and of course the regulators play a significant role as well regarding the weight issue. As you point out, Corvette has managed that balance better than some others.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:24 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I know. I said it was tried and true, and agree it's been adapted and perfected. The Porsche 911 is a another great example of the perfection of an old and somewhat flawed design using technology.

That wasn't the main point, just an example, but no one else is using push rod engines, the leaf spring concept, or builds cars with the engine behind the rear axle, anymore. They are considered out-dated by modern standards, even though a lot of technology is still invested in them by the companies still building them.
I'm arguing that its impossible for something to be outdated as a type of technology when it comes to powertrain and chassis. Suspension designs of any type can't be outdated. They just don't meet the needs to the customer. We got rid of solid front axles on cars not because it is outdated, but because it didn't meet the ride and handling qualities customers in that segment wanted. In heavy trucks you'd be an idiot to not have this type of axle because for that customer the strength is needed.

If technology could be outdated, then manual transmissions are outdated, which I totally disagree with.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Owning a sport cars does not require diapers. Maybe you should own a Prius instead of a real sports cars. .
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (10-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking NEWS - 2019 Orders start early!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I spent 4 days in Austin 5 years ago when I flew down to see the F1 race.
Nice friendly folks, great food/drink, and music.

The city put on a great show.
Looks like we are all out of sunshine until next June...
I hope you get a nasty sunburn this winter you lucky duck!
Without a doubt, the races at COTA are awesome. In fact, they were this weekend. I would have gone except I was still recovering from driving straight back from Spring Mountain on Weds to make sure my son wouldn't miss his weekend with his daughter.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'm arguing that its impossible for something to be outdated as a type of technology when it comes to powertrain and chassis. Suspension designs of any type can't be outdated. They just don't meet the needs to the customer. We got rid of solid front axles on cars not because it is outdated, but because it didn't meet the ride and handling qualities customers in that segment wanted. In heavy trucks you'd be an idiot to not have this type of axle because for that customer the strength is needed.

If technology could be outdated, then manual transmissions are outdated, which I totally disagree with.
Fair enough. You're an automotive engineer, and I'm not. Your post above sounds like the kind of thing you guys philosophize a lot about. I'm just a customer.

BTW, I hope I'm not an idiot for having purchased a 42K lbs. GVWR diesel pusher, tag-axle, motorcoach with an independent front suspension.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-22-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

TOYOTA? There is not Toyota ever made that doesn't need serious tow rope attached as the only way to keep up with a Z06! The Corvette is a sports car
that cuts Toyota out of the picture! Enjoy your PRIUS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking NEWS - 2019 Orders start early!