C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many plan on cancelling their 2018 order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
I was told differently by MacMulkin in that I could not transfer my deposit to another order and I asked the same day I heard the 2019 announcement. I asked that specific question about transferring my order as my TPW is 01/01/2018 which means mine will be delivered just as they start making 2019s. This is later than I envisioned as I had my order placed on 15 August.

The deposit is tied to the car ordered and MacMulkin cannot simply cancel the order. Thus they end up with an unsold car to add to their own large number of orders of 2018s which they will probably have to discount more to clear their inventory. Please let me know if this is incorrect but that is my understanding

Where are these contracts as all I got was an e-mail? I never saw anything resembling a contract.

So I checked the e-mail I got from MacMulkin and this is what it said:

"The deposits do become non refundable once the order is placed with allocation. We do this since at that point, the order cannot be changed at all and we have used up an allocation for your personal sold order. We will give you a heads up prior this happening in since we want to confirm the order one last time before it's tied with allocation"

I think that is very plain language when it says the order cannot be changed at all and asking to have the deposit switched to a new order would clearly be a change.

For a couple of reasons, I personally am not happy about all this, especially the timing of the GM allocation sweep and then the next day hearing about the early 2019 production. The timing smells on this and I think it was an unintended leak from GM. However in response to the thread query on cancellation, I am proceeding with my order.
md,
I agree, their language in the quoted email is extremely clear.
If they have given you that heads-up one last chance to confirm, you're locked in.

If you absolutely want a built-to order C7, then I believe baring any massive 2019 MY changes, then you're going to be a very happy buyer.

The value of your 2018 in $s going forward, will be inconsequential on sale day. As explained by Jeremy and Foosh.

I don't believe there will be any consequences to having bought a 2018 C7, vs a 2019 C7.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
That was my rationale as well. Have had both black leather and light gray seats in FL and it does make a difference having a lighter color as well
I have gray seats in my C6 right now and it definitely is more comfortable on a hot day than the black seats that my C5 had! Even though I don't live in Florida, our summers can get warm up here too (we hit 95 degrees here just a few weeks ago on the first weekend of fall actually!), plus in 2022 my wife and I are retiring and will be spending every winter in Florida, and bringing the C7 with us every year

We have similar tastes for our C7s, as I also ordered mine with the body color roof, carbon flash badges, black wheels and red calipers
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
With Rick Conti's announcement today that 2018s are going to stop production early and the 2019s will start around the end of January, how many of you that have 2018 orders in the system plan on cancelling that order?

I'm keeping my order alive! I'm especially looking forward to the possibility that my C7 could share my birthday of December 8th! So I can't turn my back on my possible twin

I would also imagine if you cancel an order at this point you would lose your deposit? If true, that could be a costly decision, as you'd also be almost guaranteed the 2019 price will not be as good as the 2018 either.

Either way, GM is going to need to tell us what the 2019 changes are going to be pretty soon! Hopefully some info will start to leak out on here in the next few weeks.
Your saying that A dealer could keep A $3,000 to A $15,000 deposit
Really?I would never purchase another GM vehicle.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It means if you have custom-ordered a car to your specs, and once that car is scheduled for production, you lose your deposit if you do not take delivery. That's only fair as many who custom order specify color combos and specs that a dealer would likely not order for stock.

That's true of all manufacturers. If you're not 100% positive you're going to take delivery then you should not be custom ordering a vehicle of any make. Any deposit you place on an in-stock car to hold it until you have a chance to inspect is fully-refundable.

The exception to this rule is if your custom-ordered car shows up defective. You would then have recourse to refuse delivery.

Lastly, it would be idiotic to put anything other than the minimum-required deposit down on a custom-ordered vehicle.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-16-2017 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Lastly, it would be idiotic to put anything other than the minimum-required deposit down on a custom-ordered vehicle.
Who in their right mind puts down $15,000 as a deposit on a car?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Perf n Restore
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, that is true. And just for the record, I think your color choices and, of course, transmission choice are perfect, and indicative of good taste. It will be gorgeous, but it's not what dealers generally order for the masses.
MD -
You have to ask yourself; What is the cancellation worth to me?
How much is your deposit? I would assume $1,000

If you feel it is worth it,, just walk, looe your deposit, and place your order with one of the other top 2.
Trust me when I say your dealer does not want you to walk away from the order. They would not want other potential customers to know that they would not refund your deposit. Most likely, your dealer will offer some sort of discount for you to stay.
So ask yourself.... you don't owe your dealer anything....you can walk away. (they will most likely send you a check for your deposit.)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:51 PM
SuprChrgdC7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

so when should I see big price drops for the used Z06? my wallet is open and waiting for the right time.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Perf n Restore
MD -
You have to ask yourself; What is the cancellation worth to me?
How much is your deposit? I would assume $1,000

If you feel it is worth it,, just walk, looe your deposit, and place your order with one of the other top 2.
Trust me when I say your dealer does not want you to walk away from the order. They would not want other potential customers to know that they would not refund your deposit. Most likely, your dealer will offer some sort of discount for you to stay.
So ask yourself.... you don't owe your dealer anything....you can walk away. (they will most likely send you a check for your deposit.)
Its the standard MacMulkin $2K deposit. Forgetting about the loss of $2K, it is just not worth it to start this convoluted and extremely uncertain order process all over again. I thought that by ordering on 15 August, I would be early enough to get one of the first ones built in November. Instead the car just got a TPW on 1 Jan assigned and now I won't get it until late January or early February because of allocations and constraints issues. I didn't know about all this uncertainty when I ordered. The two Porsches I ordered many years ago never had this level of uncertainty on delivery and they had to come from Zuffenhausen not Bowling Green. The thought of starting all over is not appealing as who knows what will happen next.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprChrgdC7
so when should I see big price drops for the used Z06? my wallet is open and waiting for the right time.
Depends what you mean by big price drops, but I suspect the best used deals will be over the winter. You can probably find some now if you know how to negotiate. But don't expect anything below low $60K to high $50's..
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It means if you have custom-ordered a car to your specs, and once that car is scheduled for production, you lose your deposit if you do not take delivery. That's only fair as many who custom order specify color combos and specs that a dealer would likely not order for stock.

That's true of all manufacturers. If you're not 100% positive you're going to take delivery then you should not be custom ordering a vehicle of any make. Any deposit you place on an in-stock car to hold it until you have a chance to inspect is fully-refundable.

The exception to this rule is if your custom-ordered car shows up defective. You would then have recourse to refuse delivery.

Really???? You sure of that statement of fact you just made!!!!!

How about this manufacturer....

"Model 3 Reservation Deposit

The cost of a reservation is approximately $1,000 USD. Please see the table below for the amount in your local currency. Note that the reservation payment is fully refundable if you cancel your reservation."

PS- That manufacturer is Tesla and the deposit if for a Model 3 that will be built in the FUTURE(not a deposit to hold an IN-STOCK Model 3).

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-...vation-deposit

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-16-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Really???? You sure of that statement of fact you just made!!!!!

How about this manufacturer....

"Model 3 Reservation Deposit

The cost of a reservation is approximately $1,000 USD. Please see the table below for the amount in your local currency. Note that the reservation payment is fully refundable if you cancel your reservation."

PS- That manufacturer is Tesla and the deposit if for a Model 3 that will be built in the FUTURE(not a deposit to hold an IN-STOCK Model 3).

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-...vation-deposit
Actually Joe since I have a tesla model 3 reservation for $1000. Once I spec out the tesla with the options I want. I must give another $2500 dollars and both that amount and the $1000 becomes non refundable.

Possibly the 2018 corvette will be the rarest c7 and be very valuable ....for those who keep cars a long time. I would not sweat the normal depreciation any car deals with as it ages...

With corvettes more than any other car ...for the most part it's performance and mileage...

Now those with 2018 s on order have an incentive to drive their car more often.

As Joec5 can attest to and has many times...driving his corvette is truly enjoyable (and it's a c6 too)
Foosh (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
SuprChrgdC7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Depends what you mean by big price drops, but I suspect the best used deals will be over the winter. You can probably find some now if you know how to negotiate. But don't expect anything below low $60K to high $50's..
I think I would be happy with a Z06 in the higher 50s!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Actually Joe since I have a tesla model 3 reservation for $1000. Once I spec out the tesla with the options I want. I must give another $2500 dollars and both that amount and the $1000 becomes non refundable.

Possibly the 2018 corvette will be the rarest c7 and be very valuable ....for those who keep cars a long time. I would not sweat the normal depreciation any car deals with as it ages...

With corvettes more than any other car ...for the most part it's performance and mileage...

Now those with 2018 s on order have an incentive to drive their car more often.

As Joec5 can attest to and has many times...driving his corvette is truly enjoyable (and it's a c6 too)
Do you have a Tesla document that spells that out that you can share with us?

The link I provided is clear as to Tesla's reservation deposit refund policy. I'm not talking about a signed purchase contract where you are paying a down payment on the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-16-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
nuke_1
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

"Possibly the 2018 corvette will be the rarest c7 and be very valuable ....for those who keep cars a long time. I would not sweat the normal depreciation any car deals with as it ages..."

That's what I'm hoping for, low production leads to desirable down the road!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

If the 2019 MY C7 represents almost zero changes - then the 2018 MY is going to be awful darned attractive over time - especially if the 2019 gets a bump Up in pricing.....

The joke may be on those (like me) that will only buy a built-to-order Corvette, and missed the opportunity to order a C7 2018 MY by it's deadline.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Bassassin
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Future, proud, 2018 GS owner with a TPW of 1/8/18. I never thought of canceling, but I was pretty sure the 19’s weren’t going to ship with another 90HP.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Night Tripper
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=FL_guy;1595755340]
Originally Posted by MSG C5

The car is on order targeted for production week of 1-1-18. I ordered from Macmulkin and am having it shipped via Intercity after they prep.

Very tough in Florida to get reliable courtesy delivery dealer!

I will post pics when I take delivery.
My 3LT/Z51 also has a TPW of 1-1-18. According to the owner of my Chevrolet Dealership, the early start for the 2019 model year, is because the ZR1 is supposed to be unveiled in Las Vegas, in April.

Get notified of new replies

To How many plan on cancelling their 2018 order?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

[QUOTE=Night Tripper;1595779768]
Originally Posted by FL_guy

My 3LT/Z51 also has a TPW of 1-1-18. According to the owner of my Chevrolet Dealership, the early start for the 2019 model year, is because the ZR1 is supposed to be unveiled in Las Vegas, in April.
Jump in

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1-2018-a.html
Old 10-17-2017, 01:46 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

[QUOTE=Night Tripper;1595779768]
Originally Posted by FL_guy

Your dealership is correct about the early start reason, but is way off on the reveal. It will be much sooner than April...much sooner.
Patman (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 PM
67 coupe
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts

Any speculation on ZR1 price?

Quick Reply: How many plan on cancelling their 2018 order?