C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have 3M clear bra and 44k on the car. I have some minor damage that got through the film in about 7 or 8 spots. So I don't think 3M is the best. I presume Xpel is better, the ultimate version. Any of the films mitigate the damage, not full prevention.
Where the stones damaged the front are pin hole size and I used a dab of Dr colorchip on two of the spots and worked pretty good. Believe it or not the best chip paint I found was a permanent marker the color of my Long Beach Red. What a hoot. Who would have thought a permanent marker would do the job. You can't even see where the chip was.
But yes, the clear film is worth it, and it really depends on the installer.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the complete front end, mirrors, rear quarters covered on my 09 Cyber/Grey Z. The majority on for 6 years. No issues.

Just traded the 09 on 17 Watkins Grey Z--had complete front end, mirrors, lower bottoms including runners, rear quarters done.

Yes I would recommend Expel.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

As others mentioned.
I also had the entire nose, entire hood, entire front fenders, mirrors, rockers, bottom part of the doors up to the crease, and area behind the rear wheels covered for $2,500- and it's literally invisible.
Can't count the number of times it's saved the paint from things hitting the car.
After 14,000 miles there's zero damage anywhere to the paint and only minor, if any, tiny witness marks where the film has taken hits.
And you have to really know where they are to even see them.
It's a personal choice but if you don't like dings in the paint, it's worth it
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
Foosh (10-12-2017), MSG C5 (08-09-2018)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 PM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

LS3ZOB shamed me into expel on our Z, so I ended up with fascia, splitter, mirrors, rockers, ground effects, brake duct shoots, forward rear quarter and door handle pockets. Funny thing, was taking my dad for his first ride in the car, on a subtle left turn, right front tire kicked up a rock, it hit the outside mirror and glanced in nailing my dad on the chest. No mark on the expel.

I don't know and won't know in the end if the expense was worth it, but it does bring a small piece of mind on these crappy MI roads.
The following users liked this post:
LT4CMG (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 PM
ppeller2
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the Expel is the way to go...I had the front fascia, bikini cut on the hood and front fenders , headlights , rockers , mirrors and brake ducts and also behind the rear tires. I have 9k on the car and she looks like new. The product is great but if the person that is putting it on doesn't know what he is doing it will look like He**! Take it from me, I had to replace the first application that was put on my car. It was the worst job I had ever seen! Streak marks left in the plastic finger prints UNDER the plastic and dirt trapped underneath! Luckily I put it on my charge card and told VISA about the problem so I disputed the purchase and won my case! I did NOT have to pay for the first application but I did have to pay the next guy to remove it. They did a fantastic job.... You really have to look for it to see it! Which is the whole point of INVISIBLE paint protection. I would buy it again , no regrets here...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM
ppeller2
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expel on the nose. Looks Awesome!! Really have to look at it to see it!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 PM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Cannot see the expel thru that awesome color!

Originally Posted by ppeller2

Expel on the nose. Looks Awesome!! Really have to look at it to see it!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I drive in heavy No. Virginia traffic so Expel was a necessity, especially on a black car. This has 5000 miles on it and it is taking the abuse like a champ. It also protects the paint from ‘handling marks’ like swirls and such which seem to be magnified on dark paint. Keeps bird droppings and other environmental pollutants off the finish too. I apply a quality paste wax over it and simply wash it when necessary. This was $1800 to cover the entire hood, front end/Bumper, front quarter panels, all hood and side vent inserts, mirrors, both door edges and lower rear brake intake vents.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Bvvet
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

$2000 is a bargain price. Ask to see some of the jobs the installer has done. MacMulkin did my front end for $1800, not cheap, but very good job. I since had the entire hood done, by a local installer, acceptable but have one small air bubble. I have the visible CF hood insert. The X Pel seemed to change the color, looks like it has a less gray look and more like a yellow tint. I can remove if it bothers me.
I had the surface polished, and it really has quite a shine.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll probably bite the bullet & get this done. The Watkins Glen Grey is too pretty of a color to get destroyed by all the **** on Raleigh roadways.

And I have about ~20 DE weekends on my 2015 Shark Grey Z51, which really took a blasting. Some impact marks I can't figure out how to remove.

Is there anything that can help protect these crappy soft windshields? My Z51 is severely sand blasted.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by BuLion
LS3ZOB shamed me into expel on our Z, so I ended up with fascia, splitter, mirrors, rockers, ground effects, brake duct shoots, forward rear quarter and door handle pockets. Funny thing, was taking my dad for his first ride in the car, on a subtle left turn, right front tire kicked up a rock, it hit the outside mirror and glanced in nailing my dad on the chest. No mark on the expel.

I don't know and won't know in the end if the expense was worth it, but it does bring a small piece of mind on these crappy MI roads.

I wouldn’t say I shamed you my friend, I simply showed you the light.

Now we have to get those fenders and hood done, then I can rest easy. None of this patch crap either with lines showing, full hood and fenders. You should be honored buddy, I think of you so highly that my car OCD extends to protecting your car too.

Last edited by LT4CMG; 10-12-2017 at 11:38 PM.
BuLion (10-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I have 3M Pro Series on the entire front end, the rocker panels, the mirrors and door sills. Having driven 10,000 miles I have no dents, nicks or scratches. I have even heard (and seen) rocks hit the front end and hood One so big after it bounced off the hood it broke my windshield.

So yes, to me it's worth the price.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:20 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I have to agree with some of the other comments about the price. That is extremely low for a full wrap. If they are pricing a full wrap for that price, and are a factory trained shop, you've scored. If they're not a factory trained shop, or have little experience in wrapping cars in Xpel, I'd have to take a long hard look at having it done by someone else. Xpel is one of the best, if not the best, products on the market, but if it's not installed properly you're not going to get the best result.

Mike
Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 AM
Gangrel
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
That 2k quote sounds more like a graphics wrap, not PPF. If not, please ask to see their finished products, that's way too good to be true.

I've got the same coverage as Foosh, based on his description, the same seamless finish, and he's East coast, I'm midwest, and our prices paid for high quality are almost identical. And I don't think either of us are careless with our money. So keeping this in mind, please ask them lots or questions before you commit
where did you get yours done at?
I am in midwest area, and would like to know good places to have it done.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

^considering we’re about 800 miles apart, my installer will probably be of no help to you. Here’s what I recommend. Google Xpel installer in your zip code and surrounding areas. This is where homework becomes important. Ask them to see a car they just finished wrapping, preferably close to your color. I’d prefer you see their job on a solid color. I say this because it’s somewhat easier to hide application mistakes on metallic colors, but solid colors such as black or red don’t allow the installer to hide many mistakes.
Hope this helps.
Foosh (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Gangrel
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
^considering we’re about 800 miles apart, my installer will probably be of no help to you. Here’s what I recommend. Google Xpel installer in your zip code and surrounding areas. This is where homework becomes important. Ask them to see a car they just finished wrapping, preferably close to your color. I’d prefer you see their job on a solid color. I say this because it’s somewhat easier to hide application mistakes on metallic colors, but solid colors such as black or red don’t allow the installer to hide many mistakes.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I didn't think about the solid color being harder.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That is true. Metal flake hides a lot of little imperfections.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
LT1 Z51 (10-16-2017), LT4CMG (10-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:45 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Gangrel, you’re going to spend good money on this, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Who cares if it’s protecting your car if it looks like garbage? I’ve had this on my Camaro for 5 years and now the Vette too. Feel free to PM with questions you have or odd answers you may question from your installer before you hand them a check. Here’s a tip, if they mention “this is protection not perfection” more than once, find someone else.

Last edited by LT4CMG; 10-13-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Well worth it man. The only down side just get a good person that does really good prep work before it goes onto the car. If you don't get good prep work done before it WILL SHOW every bad place under the xpel coat of clear...
I think the community is good enough to give you solid advice on who to look out for (depending on where you live) if that's an investment you're willing to take. My car is Xpel wrapped (except for the rear), and there's no regrets on doing so. Looks as good as the day I pulled it out of the lot

Originally Posted by Foosh
My partial XPEL Ultimate wrap cost $2500, with no visible seams and all edges wrapped. This is not the type of job you want to award to the low-bidder, which more often than not, is the least experienced.
TOTALLY agree.
LT1 Z51 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes and yes.

Just two days ago, I was overtaking a concrete truck on a freeway, and as I was about to pass, it hit a bump and rocks started flying out of the folded delivery chute. Despite evasive action and braking, hundreds of good sized rocks started bouncing off the road, and I heard multiple impacts on the front end.

I was dreading the inspection once I was able to stop, but the only damage was to my front license plate, which was folded back on one side along with a deep dent in the plate.
It ironically saved the grill.

My entire front end is XPEL Ultimate wrapped. The only other damage was a 1/4" tear in the film on the chin, along with a dozen or so dusty impact marks on the film. Those all washed off with no film damage whatsoever, and I was able to repair the tear and make it largely disappear with touch-up paint.

Without XPEL, I would now easily have a dozen or more pretty nasty paint chips on the nose.
only I went with the whole car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?