Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Does anyone have any installer recommendations in the RDU area?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Does anyone have any installer recommendations in the RDU area?

Thanks.
You'll have to decide whether this qualifies as "RDU area", but I HIGHLY recommend Custom Wheels Boutique in Fredericksburg VA. About a 3 hour drive from Raleigh. He's done a lot of Corvettes. Here are some photos of mine during the install.

Facebook Post

Last edited by grandsport2017; 10-16-2017 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Newton06 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have the Expel on my car. Don't know whether you noticed it or not when we were at the track. I have the front fascia and the front part of the front fenders and hood covered, along with the front splitter and side skirts. From the front wheel well back I have the side covered up to the crease that runs along the lower door/side. I also have the mirrors, brake ducts and the rear quarters covered. This cost me $2300 in January 2015. I had the work done at Exclusive Detail in Charlotte.

If I was going to do it again I would get the entire door covered. With the ACS mud guards and the full side skirts there is still a lot of debris that flies under the mud guards, past the side skirt and hits the rear of the door and the quarter panels. The only part of the door without expel on it that gets hit by debris is basically under the door opening switch pads. The debris sort of makes a diagonal line across the door in that area.

Don't believe Expel will heal itself as it won't. When you collect a bug or tire turd running down the VIR back straight at 150 mph it will leave a mark. Stones and debris thrown by you own wheels will tear up the Expel under and on the brake ducts. However, all of that wear and tear on the Expel isn't happening to your paint.

One other thing. Pay extra to have the edges wrapped. I didn't do that and I think I would have liked it better if I had done it.

Bill
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have the Expel on my car. Don't know whether you noticed it or not when we were at the track. I have the front fascia and the front part of the front fenders and hood covered, along with the front splitter and side skirts. From the front wheel well back I have the side covered up to the crease that runs along the lower door/side. I also have the mirrors, brake ducts and the rear quarters covered. This cost me $2300 in January 2015. I had the work done at Exclusive Detail in Charlotte.

If I was going to do it again I would get the entire door covered. With the ACS mud guards and the full side skirts there is still a lot of debris that flies under the mud guards, past the side skirt and hits the rear of the door and the quarter panels. The only part of the door without expel on it that gets hit by debris is basically under the door opening switch pads. The debris sort of makes a diagonal line across the door in that area.

Don't believe Expel will heal itself as it won't. When you collect a bug or tire turd running down the VIR back straight at 150 mph it will leave a mark. Stones and debris thrown by you own wheels will tear up the Expel under and on the brake ducts. However, all of that wear and tear on the Expel isn't happening to your paint.

One other thing. Pay extra to have the edges wrapped. I didn't do that and I think I would have liked it better if I had done it.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

I did not even notice your car was wrapped. It just looked very clean.

BTW, it looks like they are going to total my Z51.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM
GregNYC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
What does that mean, the edges wrapped?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The film's ability to resist tearing and penetration is obviously a function of projectile impact speeds. Clearly, impacts at 140 mph on a track are going to do more damage than normal street speeds. Projectiles being hurled off tires toward the rockers are also very high speed impacts. My experience described in post #2 above amazed me, that there was little or no damage to the film considering the number of impacts, but those rocks weren't tire-launched, just bouncing off the road and colliding w/ my car at 50 mph or so.

As for self-healing, no film is going to self-repair a tear or hole through the film. However, my experience w/ XPEL Ultimate is that minor blemishes and scratches can self-heal to some extent, either in the sun, or by pouring hot water on the area.

The bottom line is that the film is clearly intended to be sacrificed in order to protect the paint. The film on the nose, mirrors, rockers, and areas in front of the rear wheels will take impact damage if you drive the car routinely in a high-traffic area and at high speeds. But, it's much more cost-effective and convenient to replace those small areas of film every couple of years if necessary, and your factory paint job stays largely pristine.

Originally Posted by GregNYC
What does that mean, the edges wrapped?
It means wrapped around the edges and underneath doors, fenders, hood, etc., so you don't see any seams. The film is also less likely to peel up as well. A lot of the lower-cost installers will go up to the edges, but not around them, because it takes a lot more time and skill.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
A lot of it depends upon where you live and how you use the car. All these stories of no film, and no rock chips simply do not apply to daily-driven cars in heavy traffic areas with vehicles packed like sardines on crumbling roads with construction vehicles everywhere.

If mine were a garage queen that only came out on sunny, summer days on deserted country roads, I wouldn't have had the film installed either.
Mine are always GQ's and I still have them covered with PPF which I have been using for about 15 years now - long before most even knew what it was. Sure, GQ why bother...but it only takes one time....SF is the worst. My 16 is now just over a year in service with 900+- miles but went to the film shop first thing.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 10-16-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Expel

Originally Posted by Newton06
I purchased a 2018 Z06 Z07 last night and have a 2015 Z51 with no paint protection and a lot of track days. The front fascia & splitter are pretty pitted.

I got an over-the-phone estimate of $2k to completely cover the 2018.

My question is 'does it work, and is it worth covering everything?'

I asked for lower cost options like just covering the front fascia, splitter, mirrors, and rear brake duct areas and was told ~$900. On my Z51, all other areas were not pitted; just the front fascia & splitter primarily.

Anyone with paint protection please share your feedback.

Thanks
Wish I had pics. The other day backed out of garage. Wife put her car over too far and I saw it in time but garage door continued down onto hood and top of. bumper.Three long paint scraps with scratches. Looked horrible. Used alcohol followed by polish. Scratches still there. Gone after hot water. I was fortunate expel was not ripped. I'm sold!👍
Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes and Yes but it's all in the installation. Two crap jobs in a row, it's peeling off.

22k miles on mine and 100% satisfied with the protection.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I had the lower parts of my car done at Corvettes@Carlisle. Well worth it!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Yatagon41
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Any recommendations in Central New Jersey?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Say Yes to PPF

We want to thank everyone for the kind words about XPEL. We're happy to answer any questions y'all may have.

In regards to finding a qualified installer, be sure to check out our XPEL Installer Locator -- http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clearbra_installers/

Half the battle with any paint protection film is finding a reputable installer to put it on. Be sure to ask for wrapped edges, badge removal, and pre-cut patterns. This will ensure your Corvette has the maximum amount of protection and least amount of seams.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Yatagon41
Any recommendations in Central New Jersey?
I had mine done at MacMulkin (Xpel Ultimate). Job came out excellent.
If I were to do it locally, I'd probably use Detail Doctor in Shrewsbury.
I used LeeBerbs for my last one and job was less than satisfactory.
XPEL (08-07-2018)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Raymond Grand Sport
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Most has been said, I will echo most and add a little:

1) I have put xpel on most all my cars over the last several years
2) With one exception, always the same application, front bumper, first few inches of the hood, front fender tips, a small piece behind each tire, and the mirrors
3) I just had a C7 GS done as stated above, $1150
4) Installer is 95% of how you will feel. Films are not that different, install is everything!
5) To judge install quality, i used message boards like these, members of our local car clubs, and asked high end dealers where they sent their work done
6) My general experience has been that dealers do not do this well

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Find a good installer.

Trying to get Xpel properly installed on the front of my car has been a nightmare since day 1 of ownership of the car.

I had the car transported down from Michigan to the detail shop to have xpel job done. It was bad at first pick-up. 2nd pick-up it was even worse. 3rd pick-up there's still lint, some edges are jagged and crooked, and there's a 1" cut on my paint that looks pretty deep.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

My wife provided a real world test of the protective power of XPEL Ultimate last night. She scraped a post with the nose of her almost new 2017 Infiniti Q60 RS400 last night. Nose, full hood, and fenders are XPEL Ultimate wrapped. My wife called crying and described it as horrible damage.

When I got home I started studying the damage and all the scratches and paint transfer from the post. When I rubbed the white paint residue transferred from the post, it started peeling right off the film. I then noticed the film was slightly torn in an area where there were multiple scrapes on the side of the nose. I then started peeling away the film from the torn area, which looked like hell, and to my great surprise, there is absolutely no paint damage on the nose. After a quick light wax, it looks like new.

Amazing, to say the least.
XPEL (08-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Default My take C7 daily drivers X2

I agree that most Hat have spent the fortune to cover their cars will rarely telll you to do otherwise , I respect that. I am on my 2nd C7 6th Corvette All have been daily drivers to the tune of 20k miles a year. Yes there will be a few noticeable rock impacts none to involved for Dr. color chip as far as the make them visually go away concept goes. On all of them I paid the dealer $600 to repaint the front end. Mirrors I never had an issue with. I do have the movie stretch on 65% of tr time with the mirror covers. Where you drive has every bit as much to do with what things will look like as well ...

Get notified of new replies

To Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 PM
red500man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installer info

Does anyone have any experience with Rose Detailing in Carlisle, Pa?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,294 Likes on 13,967 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, Xpel is well worth the cost. I have it on my DD and it has protected the finish very well.
XPEL (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM
redstar299
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Service

Originally Posted by XPEL
We want to thank everyone for the kind words about XPEL. We're happy to answer any questions y'all may have.

In regards to finding a qualified installer, be sure to check out our XPEL Installer Locator -- http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clearbra_installers/

Half the battle with any paint protection film is finding a reputable installer to put it on. Be sure to ask for wrapped edges, badge removal, and pre-cut patterns. This will ensure your Corvette has the maximum amount of protection and least amount of seams.
I have had nothing but problems with Xpel. I do not track the car and and have had 3 rocks blast right through it and tear it. Now they refuse to fix it. Thiis stuff is garbage and I would never waste my money on this **** again

Quick Reply: Does Xpel work/is it worth the cost?