Sponsored by:

Rotate tires ? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
I was told by a Michelin rep at Barret Jackson that rotating the tires from side to side will reduce road noise. His reasoning was that, over time, the tires become cupped which creates road noise. Swapping the tires side to side reduces cupping. If you rub your hand over the tread and it is smooth counterclockwise, but ruff clockwise, the tires are cupped and should be rotated.
That is one reason I do it too..
Maybe even a little feathering.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I was told by a Michelin rep at Barret Jackson that rotating the tires from side to side will reduce road noise. His reasoning was that, over time, the tires become cupped which creates road noise. Swapping the tires side to side reduces cupping. If you rub your hand over the tread and it is smooth counterclockwise, but ruff clockwise, the tires are cupped and should be rotated.
If your tires are "cupping" you need an alignment.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Not necessarily. If you're an occasional track person, or more aggressive curve carver, you'll benefit greatly from an alignment that uses more negative camber, but still within GM spec. If so, you can avoid cupping and uneven wear by rotating from side-to-side.

For the average street putters, who prefer a "zero camber" alignment for tire wear, it probably doesn't make any difference.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That's feathering. Cupping is when the tread block is worn in a "U" like pattern. (Not as aggressive as a u.) More like when a mud tire is worn and gives that droning noise like a really bad hub bearing but much louder.

Quick Reply: Rotate tires ? Yes or No