Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy, 3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

OP, my two previous cars to my current Corvette were owned by multiple owners. The first one was an 03 C5 Z06 that was purchased from Kerbeck by a guy who used it to commute from Newark, DE to NC on a weekly basis. Over a 6 month period he put 18K miles on the car. The second owner had the car for 2 months and put 200 miles on it and then decided to sell the car and buy a 61 that needed restoring. That car was great. I kept it for 6 years put another 25K miles on it (and a lot of track miles) and sold it when C6Zs started running away from me on the track. My C6Z was a two owner car as well. The first owner had the car for 2 months and traded it. The second owner had the car for 11 months and was selling because he was being transferred to a location where he couldn't take the Vette. That car was great as well and I kept it for 6 years before trading it for the C7Z.

Multiple owners doesn't mean a thing. There are many reasons a car has multiple owners and being a lemon is a rare reason. The reason it is a rare reason is because what one person perceives as a problem isn't even a thought for another person. Just read the threads of people who turn their cars in as a lemon and judge for yourself.

Bill
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Jim Ellis Chevy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jim Ellis News

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
OP, my two previous cars to my current Corvette were owned by multiple owners. The first one was an 03 C5 Z06 that was purchased from Kerbeck by a guy who used it to commute from Newark, DE to NC on a weekly basis. Over a 6 month period he put 18K miles on the car. The second owner had the car for 2 months and put 200 miles on it and then decided to sell the car and buy a 61 that needed restoring. That car was great. I kept it for 6 years put another 25K miles on it (and a lot of track miles) and sold it when C6Zs started running away from me on the track. My C6Z was a two owner car as well. The first owner had the car for 2 months and traded it. The second owner had the car for 11 months and was selling because he was being transferred to a location where he couldn't take the Vette. That car was great as well and I kept it for 6 years before trading it for the C7Z.

Multiple owners doesn't mean a thing. There are many reasons a car has multiple owners and being a lemon is a rare reason. The reason it is a rare reason is because what one person perceives as a problem isn't even a thought for another person. Just read the threads of people who turn their cars in as a lemon and judge for yourself.

Bill

Check us out
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2017, 08:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Bill
Bill, not every potential buyer is as car savvy or sophisticated as you are (I am sure I'm not).
For the ordinary guy it's better to make a purchase that has a manufacturer's warranty.
This is one reason why I mentioned buying a new vehicle.
That, plus the wonderful feeling of it being just yours...your baby...unsullied, so to speak.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Bill
A Big difference IMO between a car having (2) different owners over a very short period (as yours) and having (3) owners which is the topic of discussion here.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-19-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 AM
xlaziox
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aaaaaand PROBLEM SOLVED...

So, what I was interested in was really the warranty and non cop magnet color. I tortured myself all day because deep down that 3 owner car freaked me out, and I was supposed to meet them tomorrow morning. I lucked out tonight on the way home from work. I found a cyber metallic Z51 with saddle brown 3LT ONE owner (a female I think based on the height of the hud). Clean carfax, no motor shake, no funny bumper, I like the saddle brown almost as much as the red... I talked them down on the price and they offered to chevy certify it. They even gave me an extra 1k on my trade. Very happy. Now I'm part of the club.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

The car could be a lemon, it's very strange that the two last owners keep the car for just 3 months. Look elsewhere there are many secondhand Corvettes available. I would first look for a GM certified and would purchase an extended warranty for peace of mind. I was on your shoes, I left go of my first option that had very low miles but three owners, and after a test drive noticed several things wrong, afterwards I found my perfect '14 Corvette. No regrets!
Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Welcome to the Permagrin club. FWIW it's cyber gray. Saddle brown is not a C7 color. You must mean brownstone, if not, then kalahari. What do you mean they offered it to Chevy to certify it? They sold it to a dealer, dealer certified it, then sold it to you? How much more did u pay to have it certified. Then you paid state sales tax. Would it have been cheaper to purchase it privately and pay the sales tax base on a table they use as opposed to a certain percentage? In Illinois there is a cap on the sales tax on used vehicles purchased privately at $1250 I believe.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All of this discussion could have been cured before passage of the Privacy Act. This Privacy act should have been called: Screw the Consumer Act. It Protects the dealers from having You the consumer calling and speaking to the Other consumer. Get to the truth. Now you have to take the word from a Used car dealer. Oh great.
Sprouting from this secretive world: Carfax. Carfax is great but wouldn't it be even greater to speak to the previous owners? Yes speaking to the previous owners you get the real poop. Someone with no skin in the game. Why he dumped/traded the car. Again, now we are stuck taking a Used car dealers word. Dang.
Yes, I know, everyone is scared of the internet boogeyman, and the spooks trying to hack your life. All I want is the ability to speak to the previous owner.
Who is being hurt?
I asked one of these (trustworthy) used car dealers to ask the previous owner to call me. I gave the dealer permission to give the previous owner my phone number. Nope.
We can't do that.
Who is being protected here? The dealer. He can lie his butt off and you will never know.
The car was owned by a little old lady. Drove it on Nice Sunday afternoons.
Sure.
At least buying here, directly from the owner, you get the opportunity to speak to the previous owner.
Buyer beware.
By the way, Autocheck was available to view a corvette's previous life I was interested in. No Accidents listed. I went to my local Chevrolet dealer and he did a Carfax, guess what, an accident was listed. Again, if I could speak to the previous owner, I could have gotten all the good and bad upfront. Maybe the accident was a scratch. I don't know.
If Carfax wants to improve, then give us details of the repairs. Was it a scratch or a panel change out.
Someone needs to go after this screw the consumer act. You'll be fighting lobbyists from Carfax, Autocheck, the big 3 car manufactures, etc.
Sorry for the rant.
Drive Safe

Last edited by vettnut; 10-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:53 AM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnut
I asked one of these (trustworthy) used car dealers to ask the previous owner to call me. I gave the dealer permission to give the previous owner my phone number. Nope.
When I set up OnStar on my 16, the password for the WiFi Hotspot was the previous owner's phone number. I called him, and got a brief history on the car. Granted, it was after the purchase, but it confirmed what the dealer told me about the previous owner...
Old 10-20-2017, 06:43 PM
KeithFl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned 4 c7 corvettes, traded them all in, I would NOT want to buy one of those. :-( Good Luck
Old 10-21-2017, 01:34 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by KeithFl
I have owned 4 c7 corvettes, traded them all in, I would NOT want to buy one of those. :-( Good Luck

weird that it took four C7’s to determine it’s not he Car for you. Seems like a massive Contradiction or perhaps trolling. After one or benefit of doubt two but four, really? Just saying!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 AM
KeithFl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KGrant
weird that it took four C7’s to determine it’s not he Car for you. Seems like a massive Contradiction or perhaps trolling. After one or benefit of doubt two but four, really? Just saying!
White 16 base model had for 2weeks, tranny blew

Racing yellow, 16 z51 everywhere a panel touched another panel, paint chipping, had the entire car painted, clicking in brakes, replaced all front braking parts 3 times, bad vibration in car on highway

Laguna Blue 16 z51 tranny broke, twice, was replaced, twice.

Current car, 18 grand sport, has 2k miles on it, vibration on highway, brakes clicking. Can’t fix the problem in talks now with GM on buy back.

All with below 10k miles . All never abused, all just fall apart.

I wish you to buy one of my old turds. Good luck, troll. Lol
Attached Images     
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by KeithFl
White 16 base model had for 2weeks, tranny blew

Racing yellow, 16 z51 everywhere a panel touched another panel, paint chipping, had the entire car painted, clicking in brakes, replaced all front braking parts 3 times, bad vibration in car on highway

Laguna Blue 16 z51 tranny broke, twice, was replaced, twice.

Current car, 18 grand sport, has 2k miles on it, vibration on highway, brakes clicking. Can’t fix the problem in talks now with GM on buy back.

All with below 10k miles . All never abused, all just fall apart.

I wish you to buy one of my old turds. Good luck, troll. Lol
Wow! I Apologize as it sounds to unbelievable that one person can have such bad luck. Yikes! Good Luck! Perhaps let someone else buy the 5th one and then turn it over to you and break the bad luck cycle or maybe GM should give you a car out of LOYALTY in that you keep trying.... I hope all works out well for you! BTW, all are very beautiful cars!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 AM
KeithFl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KGrant
Wow! I Apologize as it sounds to unbelievable that one person can have such bad luck. Yikes! Good Luck! Perhaps let someone else buy the 5th one and then turn it over to you and break the bad luck cycle or maybe GM should give you a car out of LOYALTY in that you keep trying.... I hope all works out well for you! BTW, all are very beautiful cars!
Agree. Hard to believe. I love the car, I’ll keep trying. My goal is to take delivery of every color. Break them in perfectly for next owner. :-/ j/k

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy, 3 owners