Plant re-opens 6 Nov

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Plant re-opens 6 Nov

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/gear...f2734cdb6.html

“The paint shop is now complete and has been designed specifically to optimize the performance of carbon fiber and other materials that are used in the Corvette body panels,” said Langille. “As a result, customers can expect to see an improved paint appearance and finish. In addition, the paint shop is equipped with the latest advanced environmental controls to minimize our ecological footprint.”

In addition to the paint shop, Langille said other changes have been made to the plant.

“During the shutdown, we made significant changes to the build process to enhance ergonomics for the operator and to improve vehicle quality,” she said. “For example, panels will be installed near the end of the build process in one location, as opposed to several locations throughout the process.”

Workers will be assembling 2018 Corvettes when the plant reopens and continue doing so through the week of Jan. 22, 2018. They will then shift gears and start manufacturing the 2019 model of the iconic sports car Jan. 29."

Last edited by Frosty; 10-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I'm still curious as to what's happening in the first few weeks after the plant reopens. I know this forum is a small sample size of the amount of orders out there, but I don't recall anyone on this forum having a TPW in the first or second full week of production. Could the plant only be fulfilling dealer orders at first?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Training
Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Training
I believe the training has been ongoing during this shut down time. The exact quote from the National Corvette Museum article from last week says this:

"Production at Bowling Green Assembly starts back up November 6, and at that time the ‘basics’ (Black, Arctic White, Torch Red, Corvette Racing Yellow) will begin rolling through the state-of-the-art paint shop. "

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/2019-c...ion-announced/
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patman
I believe the training has been ongoing during this shut down time. The exact quote from the National Corvette Museum article from last week says this:

"Production at Bowling Green Assembly starts back up November 6, and at that time the ‘basics’ (Black, Arctic White, Torch Red, Corvette Racing Yellow) will begin rolling through the state-of-the-art paint shop. "

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/2019-c...ion-announced/
Although workers will be reporting back on November 6th, that doesn’t mean they are starting up retail production immediately. We checked with several of our dealers who tell us the first Target Production Week (TPW) they are seeing on new orders is November 20th.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...erm=2017-10-17
Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Patman
Race Director

The NCM should have reworded their article differently then, because they certainly led me to believe that cars would be produced that day. Considering the fact that nobody has a TPW of earlier than the 20th, this now makes more sense.

There sure has been a lot of confusion over the last few months
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Although workers will be reporting back on November 6th, that doesn’t mean they are starting up retail production immediately. We checked with several of our dealers who tell us the first Target Production Week (TPW) they are seeing on new orders is November 20th.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...erm=2017-10-17

Is two weeks from Nov 6 to Nov 20 all the training these employees need? Very frustrating indeed. I was hoping the point for the shutdown was among many things, training - three months of it. This would mean that retail production would resume immediately. November 20 is the earliest TPW I've seen posted. No doubt Kerbeck and MacMulkin will be first in line. I have November 27 with Mike @ Criswell. On a side note, I understand these are just targets but part of me is wondering if these targets will be missed earlier rather than later with the announcement of the early production of 2019's. I think that the people who do not have an order will wait and as a result fewer 2018's will be produced the first few weeks meaning mine may get moved up.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
Is two weeks from Nov 6 to Nov 20 all the training these employees need? Very frustrating indeed. I was hoping the point for the shutdown was among many things, training - three months of it. This would mean that retail production would resume immediately. November 20 is the earliest TPW I've seen posted. No doubt Kerbeck and MacMulkin will be first in line. I have November 27 with Mike @ Criswell. On a side note, I understand these are just targets but part of me is wondering if these targets will be missed earlier rather than later with the announcement of the early production of 2019's. I think that the people who do not have an order will wait and as a result fewer 2018's will be produced the first few weeks meaning mine may get moved up.
I am with MacMulkin and have 1 Jan 2018 TPW. I still suspect that there have been different national allocation sweeps for different models but I have given up trying to figure out this convoluted order process
Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Patman
Race Director

I think that the people who do not have an order will wait and as a result fewer 2018's will be produced the first few weeks meaning mine may get moved up.
Even though I'm kinda happy with my TPW being the same week as my birthday, I wouldn't be disappointed to find out my car was going to arrive sooner than I thought either! Fingers crossed that both of us have our cars in our garages well before Christmas!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Vonfido
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats on your order - You are going to love the car and they will be trained enough to do their stations. My car is almost a year old now and I love it more every day!
The following users liked this post:
SouthOCBoy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It will be interesting to see the improvement in the paint quality.
JerriVette (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 AM
Perf n Restore
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 79 Posts

Rob -
I firmly believe that 11/6 to 11/20 is startup "buffer". I would be willing to bet that all our TPWs will move up 1 week. Best of luck to all of us. For those of us that have TPW 1/1/18, please let us know as soon as yours is built as this will give us an indication if BG is on schedule.

Last edited by Perf n Restore; 10-18-2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by Perf n Restore:
LT1 Z51 (10-20-2017), Patman (10-18-2017), SouthOCBoy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

There's other information not being discussed here, but was discussed in earlier threads. When they begin manufacturing marketed Corvettes, the line will be running at half speed to assure better build quality. Also, there will be additional QC of the first cars. I don't recall how long this will last but it's in the plans. Maybe that has something to do with the late January MY change date.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if the new paint shop is going to run at the same speed as vehicle assembly. As I understood it, the paint shop had to run all 3 shifts to keep up with 10 hours of car assembly in the old configuration.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

I think they won't move up TPW's until they actually start the line. Remember the T in TPW is Target. If your Target moves up, you are happy, if it moves backward you are not. GM is clearly playing it safe. I'm guessing the first week or so the line won't run at full speed.

I'm interested to see the new paint. I always thing automotive paint could be better, but my Arctic White Corvette paint is not appreciably worse than the Oxford White on my Focus ST. My 2016, I think was better than my 2008, FWIW.

I'm also interested to see the new line layout, as the old line had some funky stuff going on it. I wonder how much "free" floor space will be in the plant now.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Patman
Race Director

I wonder if any of the guys with TPWs of Nov 20 might see their cars built on the week of Nov 6 or even the week of Nov 13 or will those weeks be used entirely for training? I was also thinking that if they built half of the cars from Nov 20 in the first week and the other half in the second week, then everyone with a TPW after that could get moved ahead by one week.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Perf n Restore
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I wonder if any of the guys with TPWs of Nov 20 might see their cars built on the week of Nov 6 or even the week of Nov 13 or will those weeks be used entirely for training? I was also thinking that if they built half of the cars from Nov 20 in the first week and the other half in the second week, then everyone with a TPW after that could get moved ahead by one week.
Patman: check my post #12. I agree
Patman (10-20-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Plant re-opens 6 Nov

Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Is two weeks from Nov 6 to Nov 20 all the training these employees need? Very frustrating indeed. I was hoping the point for the shutdown was among many things, training
Per videos posted right after the NCM Labor Day Celebration (thanks jagamajajaran for posting the 4 lengthy videos — now on YouTube (two each by Kai Spande and Nora Roper — she’s the assistant Plant Manager, a GM Engineer with 30 years experience at seven different plants), the employees are right now back training at BGA. They are working on a combination of specialized computer training videos for every job, then after 8 hours of progressive proper tool selection and parts assembly on the computer, all sequenced for every single job in their 5 minute work assembly station, they then go to a separate area for hands on training.

In this second area, they pick up real tools and assemble the specific sub-section of the car — identically as they will during their five minutes on the assembly line. Then they go back to the computer for more training and job mastery training. Each employee must work their way through this training, up to the maximum job mastery level (level 4) for their job, and then they learn a second job. There are weeks and weeks of this training BEFORE they touch an actual 2018 Corvette on the assembly line.

Last edited by elegant; 10-20-2017 at 10:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
DWS44 (10-20-2017), proexpert (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Per videos posted right after the NCM Labor Day Celebration (thanks jagamajajaran for posting the 4 lengthy videos — now on YouTube (two each by Kai Spande and Nora Roper — she’s the assistant Plant Manager, a GM Engineer with 30 years experience at seven different plants), the employees are right now back training at BGA. They are working on a combination of specialized computer training videos for every job, then after 8 hours of progressive proper tool selection and parts assembly on the computer, all sequenced for every single job in their 5 minute work assembly station, they then go to a separate area for hands on training.

In this second area, they pick up real tools and assemble the specific sub-section of the car — identically as they will during their five minutes on the assembly line. Then they go back to the computer for more training and job mastery training. Each employee must work their way through this training, up to the maximum job mastery level (level 4) for their job, and then they learn a second job. There are weeks and weeks of this training BEFORE they touch an actual 2018 Corvette on the assembly line.
Appreciate the info. But the question still remains - WHEN? It is fun speculating but all of us want to know for sure: WHEN will our cars be built? Is the Nov 6 date designated for retail cars or for practice/quality control cars"? Will they be ahead of schedule and our cars will be built a week early? And WHEN will we receive our cars? The first person who relays that info wins!
Perf n Restore (10-20-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Workers will be assembling 2018 Corvettes when the plant reopens and continue doing so through the week of Jan. 22, 2018. They will then shift gears and start manufacturing the 2019 model of the iconic sports car Jan. 29."
One week of retooling time will probably put an end to the speculation that the 2019 is going to be rear mid engine.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Plant re-opens 6 Nov