Is there some sort of requirement that dealerships all suck

Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Escalade, Dinali, raptor
Denali?

And yeah, I'd be pissed if I got this same **** level of service if I bought any of those cars. Caddy should be treating their customers like BMW does anyway
Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 PM
BBKenney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
My wife has a Lexus and I can definitively say the dealer has outstanding service. So no, not all dealers suck.
I too own a Lexus and Park Place in Dallas area definitely do not suck at either sales or service.
I own a Vette and the Plano chevy dealer sucks on the sales side but is quite good on the service side. I have an '06 which has had DBS since the day it was born. They busted their a** trying, they didnt solve it but they sure tried, had Chevy engineers in, tested it for two weeks, etc. I use a battery minder now so it works fine, but the problem was never really solved
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I just finished driving my Corvette to Atlanta (from Memphis) to have my alignment and corner weighting done by a private (non-dealer) shop that is really excellent when it comes to alignment, balancing, tire mounting, and corner weighting. While waiting for my alignment, I noticed several local car dealers (non-Chevy) brought their cars to this shop to have alignment done for their customers. I was amazed these dealers did not have this expertise in-house, but this shop is REALLY good.

Sales price of the new car is not the issue. Corvettes are high-performance vehicles and they need to be set up correctly and maintained correctly so they can go to a race track or high performance environment and perform as designed. Any car that can touch 200 mph or close to it is not your father's Oldsmobile. The rear suspension of the C7 is complex, but many dealers do not know how to set it up and do not have the equipment. We have seen dealers unable to mount Corvette tires. Corvette maintenance and service is about more than oil changes and multi-point inspections (although changing the oil in the Corvette's dry sump system can be challenging to those used to the old wet sump V8 oil pan.).

Many Chevy dealers rarely sell Corvettes and rarely see them. I would not expect them to invest the time and money to be good at maintaining them. But, Chevy should certify dealers for Corvette maintenance and service and make that information widely available, and that certification should at a minimum mean the dealer has all of the equipment, trained personnel, and parts inventory to handle Corvettes. GM should re-evaluate every year and issue an updated list. Valid consumer complaints should figure into the mix.

Chevy should pay dealers fairly for warranty repairs (some manufacturers low-ball warranty work) so experienced personnel are willing to do this work. Dealers should pay well for Corvette techs, too, so they can get and keep experienced people.

There may end up only being 20 or 30 certified dealers nationwide, and while one may not be convenient to every Corvette owner, at least you will know when take your car to one the work should be done correctly.

Just how I see it.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I just finished driving my Corvette to Atlanta (from Memphis) to have my alignment and corner weighting done by a private (non-dealer) shop that is really excellent when it comes to alignment, balancing, tire mounting, and corner weighting. While waiting for my alignment, I noticed several local car dealers brought their cars to this shop to have alignment done for their customers. I was amazed these dealers did not have this expertise in-house, but this shop is REALLY good.

Price is not the issue. Corvettes are high-performance vehicles and they need to be set up correctly and maintained correctly so they can go to a race track or high performance environment and perform as designed. Any car that can touch 200 mph or close to it is not your father's Oldsmobile. The rear suspension of the C7 is complex, but many dealers do not know how to set it up and do not have the equipment. We have seen dealers unable to mount Corvette tires. Corvette maintenance and service is about more than oil changes and multi-point inspections (although changing the oil in the Corvette's dry sump system can be challenging to those used to the old wet sump V8 oil pan.).

Many Chevy dealers rarely sell Corvettes and rarely see them. I would not expect them to invest the time and money to be good at maintaining them. But, Chevy should certify dealers for Corvette maintenance and service and make that information widely available, and that certification should at a minimum mean the dealer has all of the equipment, trained personnel, and parts inventory to handle Corvettes. GM should re-evaluate every year and issue an updated list. Valid consumer complaints should figure into the mix.

Chevy should pay dealers fairly for warranty repairs (some manufacturers low-ball warranty work) so experienced personnel are willing to do this work. Dealers should pay well for Corvette techs, too, so they can get and keep experienced people.

There may end up only being 20 or 30 certified dealers nationwide, and while one may not be convenient to every Corvette owner, at least you will know when take your car to one the work should be done correctly.

Just how I see it.
This would be great.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:34 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BBKenney
I too own a Lexus and Park Place in Dallas area definitely do not suck at either sales or service.
I own a Vette and the Plano chevy dealer sucks on the sales side but is quite good on the service side. I have an '06 which has had DBS since the day it was born. They busted their a** trying, they didnt solve it but they sure tried, had Chevy engineers in, tested it for two weeks, etc. I use a battery minder now so it works fine, but the problem was never really solved
Huffines is pretty good- but they're far.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I just finished driving my Corvette to Atlanta (from Memphis) to have my alignment and corner weighting done by a private (non-dealer) shop that is really excellent when it comes to alignment, balancing, tire mounting, and corner weighting. While waiting for my alignment, I noticed several local car dealers (non-Chevy) brought their cars to this shop to have alignment done for their customers. I was amazed these dealers did not have this expertise in-house, but this shop is REALLY good.
Wish I could find a competent dealer in central Kentucky.
Sales price of the new car is not the issue. Corvettes are high-performance vehicles and they need to be set up correctly and maintained correctly so they can go to a race track or high performance environment and perform as designed. Any car that can touch 200 mph or close to it is not your father's Oldsmobile. The rear suspension of the C7 is complex, but many dealers do not know how to set it up and do not have the equipment. We have seen dealers unable to mount Corvette tires. Corvette maintenance and service is about more than oil changes and multi-point inspections (although changing the oil in the Corvette's dry sump system can be challenging to those used to the old wet sump V8 oil pan.).

Just how I see it.
I wish I could find a competent dealer in Central Kentucky.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Having been in sales, management, and service advisor at a dealership I can tell you that it's a beating. 1. The hours are long, and finding the caliber of people needed to assemble a well functioning team isn't easy. Obviously a customer isn't going to be happy, you write it up forget to put alignment on the work order, tech doesn't know to check alignment, car finishes, cashier books ticket customer picks up, asks about the alignment andd the whole store looks bad because a guy was thinking about the wrecked front end and forgot to put alignment on the work order 2. On the sales end someone doesn't know the product, customer asks a question sales guy doesn't know panics and says yes rather than I'll find out and down the road the whole store looks like a bunch of liars. Attention to detail, process and clear communication have to be carried out 100% of the time for all customers to have a good experience, and with the level of turnover in that business, building a team like that is not overly common. So yes most dealers do suck, but most of the time it's not because they don't care, it's simply that you can never seem to eliminate or strengthen all the weak links.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Having been in sales, management, and service advisor at a dealership I can tell you that it's a beating. 1. The hours are long, and finding the caliber of people needed to assemble a well functioning team isn't easy. Obviously a customer isn't going to be happy, you write it up forget to put alignment on the work order, tech doesn't know to check alignment, car finishes, cashier books ticket customer picks up, asks about the alignment andd the whole store looks bad because a guy was thinking about the wrecked front end and forgot to put alignment on the work order 2. On the sales end someone doesn't know the product, customer asks a question sales guy doesn't know panics and says yes rather than I'll find out and down the road the whole store looks like a bunch of liars. Attention to detail, process and clear communication have to be carried out 100% of the time for all customers to have a good experience, and with the level of turnover in that business, building a team like that is not overly common. So yes most dealers do suck, but most of the time it's not because they don't care, it's simply that you can never seem to eliminate or strengthen all the weak links.
That is a good assessment. For me the most unforgivable experience is that the sales person has very limited product knowledge of the car he or she is selling. That shows a lack of initiative. You would think that anyone selling something would be knowing all about what they are trying to sell. Go figure.

Last edited by joemessman; 10-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by joemessman
That is a good assessment. For me the most unforgivable experience is that the sales person has very limited product knowledge of the car he or she is selling. That shows a lack of initiative. You would think that anyone selling something would be knowing all about what they are trying to sell. Go figure.
Most of the times it's when the person is new, learning all the vehicles trim levels and whats standard versus package and such on all of the vehicles, plus dealership process on sales, learning the customer management/database software etc. It takes a little bit.
Or you have the guy that just doesn't care and management only sees that sell 15 cars a month, until the third or fourth month of said guy working at the store, when they start to notice he has been lying to customers as issues begin to surface and even if you fire him right there you still have 45- 60 customers he lied to and you don't know what about or when it'll resurface.

But I will say things have become a lot better with transparency and such in the business due to technology and I only see it improving as time goes on.

Me on the other hand, I am 100% thrilled to be on the aftermarket performance side where I'm either selling a part, planning a high hp/track build with a customer or on here. And the sound of a 700rwhp vette on a dyno is so much better than listening to the same 80's songs over and over at a dealership.
joemessman (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
I have a TON of respect for the guy that looks me in the eye and says "I don't know, but I'll find out".

I have ZERO respect for the guy that tries to blow smoke up my *** and ultimately screws me over in his lie.
joemessman (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I have a TON of respect for the guy that looks me in the eye and says "I don't know, but I'll find out".

I have ZERO respect for the guy that tries to blow smoke up my *** and ultimately screws me over in his lie.
I agree 100%. My first day in the business the GM told me never lie to a customer, if you don't know the answer, say I don't know but I'll find out. Then find out, follow up answer the question and remember what you learned so next time you don't have to find out. In management, I'd just have them come get me when they had a customer with a lot of technical questions. (Every dealership should have a Genius team or person Apple and BMW are smart by doing that)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Corvette Dealers

I bought my Z06 from Larry H Miller in Salt Lake City. He built the track I go to, just outside of town. Didn't consider another dealer. The folks there have been great to Me. Rik is my shop go to guy, and he knows a lot about Corvettes. I couldn't be more pleased with a dealer. They take care of me.
Sorry you don't have a good dealer in your neighborhood.

Paul
Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The screw ups are alive and well in service department land.
In just the past 3 years, I've encountered an almost perfect record in shop screw ups, on every visit.
No clue how someone could equate being racist against service departments, when the victim is being injured. That's one for the books!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry you are having problems, but there are great dealers. I have two here in SoCal, Rydell and Santa Paula have given me great deals and great service.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

service advisor at a dealership I can tell you that it's a beating
thats one job Id never want to do again. P'od people all day long hours crap pay. Everything is your fault and if you get a "not so satsified" review or if its not returned watch out. That is another job all in itself

After 3 new trucks back to back Id never buy new again. Warranty isnt worth beans if noone wants or can fix it.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

After 25 days they just "discovered" the problem.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I go to Discount tire with wheel problems my dealer. I don't think even works on Corvette wheels or tires.

My dealer is great they don't ask about my headers or tune. They fix all issues and have good techs who know these Corvette's!
So there are good dealers out there!

Get notified of new replies

To Is there some sort of requirement that dealerships all suck

Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Update. Without much fuss or fight, they are buying me a new wheel. I'm fairly impressed.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Update. Without much fuss or fight, they are buying me a new wheel. I'm fairly impressed.
Who's the dealer?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:47 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Other dealership by me:
Bring in car for repair after it got hit in a parking lot

Me: I think it needs an alignment now too (a truck crushed the front end, on video)
Dealership: We will of course check that

Pick up car: There are parts still in the trunk. They make we wait an hour while they get the car on a lift to figure out why there are parts in my trunk and reinstall them.

Ask about alignment. No, we didn't check. We can do it for you for $xxx and you can submit the claim to the insurance company if you'd like.
Whenever you make a broad statement like 'this entire industry sucks' it's always advisable to do the thorough homework Mr. Idiot has done with his huge sample of two auto dealerships in the entire USA. You don't want to be accused of not being fair and balanced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there some sort of requirement that dealerships all suck