C7 used buyers guide

Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default C7 used buyers guide

Hey Guys,

I didn't see a sticky on this so I thought I would get some advice.

Looking at a used vette, coupe. What should I ask, look for, and check on?

Here is my list at the moment:
- Carfax and frequency of maintainence
- VIS report to see what warranty and recalls have been done
- view window sticker or build sheet to make sure the car has the options that are stated
- if not buying from a dealer, check the VIN with the local police to make sure its not stolen (far fetched, but I have read a few stories recently)
- Chevy dealer inspection
---> ensure ECU pull to see if engine was tuned or something would void the warranty
- Look at signs for water damage in the carpet and under the car
- listen for a dreaded t-top rattle
- check the display for signs of cracking or going black
- (if auto) listen for any issues in shifting
- side bolster wear from poor exiting technique
- fender walls for stuck-on rubber splatter (burning out evidence)
- tire life
- oil level after test drive (wait for the oil to get up to operating temperature)

Anything else?

z51 specific things to look for?
--> if the oil was NOT changed at 500 miles, should that be a deal breaker? (assuming not on the carfax)
Magride specifics to look for?

Last edited by ~Stingray; 10-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Some guys have mentioned to check the fender wells for stuck on spatters of rubber. They say indicative of track use, and rear with lots of rubber chunks could mean a lot of trips down the 1320.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Have Chevy dealer pull entire service/maintenance history.

Also have them check the ECU for any flashings or reflashings so you can see if it was ever tuned and would have the powertrain warranty voided.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-19-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
pika
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

--> if the oil was changed at 500 miles, should that be a deal breaker? (assuming not on the carfax)

wouldn't that be a good thing? or do you mean not changed at 500 miles

I would possibly add tire wear, and definitely have it inspected
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Dry sump engines like on the Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 call for an oil change at 500 miles so that's a good thing to see.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,585 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey Guys,

- view window sticker or build sheet to make sure the car has the options that are stated
- if not buying from a dealer, check the VIN with the local police to make sure its not stolen (far fetched, but I have read a few stories recently)
- Chevy dealer inspection (maybe)

Anything else?

--> if the oil was changed at 500 miles, should that be a deal breaker? (assuming not on the carfax)
Look for a musky/moldy scent or more a strong scent of air freshener or febreze where someone has tried to cover the musky/moldy smell of floor/water damage. It's usually harder to get rid of the smell of flood/water damage in a car than cleaning up the mess.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by pika

wouldn't that be a good thing? or do you mean not changed at 500 miles

I would possibly add tire wear, and definitely have it inspected
Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Dry sump engines like on the Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 call for an oil change at 500 miles so that's a good thing to see.
Yes, that was a typo. I updated it. Would it be bad it there was not a service record for a 500 mile oil change?

Example:
05/29/2014------27------Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com------Vehicle sold
06/02/2014---------------Nevada Motor Vehicle Dept. Elko, NV-------------------------------------------Registration issued or renewed
06/25/2014------251-----Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com-----Maintenance inspection completed, Electrical system checked
06/26/2014---------------Nevada Motor Vehicle Dept. Elko, NV-------------------------------------------Title #NV007046746-1 Title issued or updated - First owner reported - Titled or registered as personal vehicle Loan or lien reported
08/14/2014------2,525---Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com-----Maintenance inspection completed, Steering/suspension checked
08/15/2014---------------Riverton Superstore - Chevrolet Sandy, UT 801-576-4600 rivertonchevy.com------Vehicle serviced
12/15/2014------3,334---Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com------Maintenance inspection completed, Oil and filter changed

Last edited by ~Stingray; 10-19-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Yes, that was a typo. I updated it. Would it be bad it there was not a service record for a 500 mile oil change?

Example:
05/29/2014------27------Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com------Vehicle sold
06/02/2014---------------Nevada Motor Vehicle Dept. Elko, NV-------------------------------------------Registration issued or renewed
06/25/2014------251-----Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com-----Maintenance inspection completed, Electrical system checked
06/26/2014---------------Nevada Motor Vehicle Dept. Elko, NV-------------------------------------------Title #NV007046746-1 Title issued or updated - First owner reported - Titled or registered as personal vehicle Loan or lien reported
08/14/2014------2,525---Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com-----Maintenance inspection completed, Steering/suspension checked
08/15/2014---------------Riverton Superstore - Chevrolet Sandy, UT 801-576-4600 rivertonchevy.com------Vehicle serviced
12/15/2014------3,334---Riverton Elko GM Superstore Elko, NV 775-738-5131 rivertonelko.com------Maintenance inspection completed, Oil and filter changed
I would not be worried about it (no record of first 500 mile oil change). When they first released the 2014 Z51 GM did not request the first oil change be at 500 miles. They added that later.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by thill444
I would not be worried about it (no record of first 500 mile oil change). When they first released the 2014 Z51 GM did not request the first oil change be at 500 miles. They added that later.
Why did they add it in later? I assume there was an issue so should there be something I concern myself about?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Why did they add it in later? I assume there was an issue so should there be something I concern myself about?
My understanding is there were a few blown engines and they determined that within 500 miles any small metal fragments ( I mean really small) would be captured and removed with an oil/filter change.
If the car you're looking at did not have the oil changed at 500 miles, but now has 10K on the clock, I think it's past the point where you have to be concerned. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

If you are looking at a 2014 this is not an issue, but 2015's and later A8 automatics can and do have issues w/ surging and other anomalies.

These issues can be infrequent and random or can occur a lot, but mine started to occur when I did a bit of spirited driving (nothing crazy, just some quicker accelerations w/ some braking and more accelerations) and then resume normal traffic operations.

Surging occurs (for me) when rolling slowly up to stopped traffic, the car will surge or lunge forward before coming to a complete stop. Some can be fairly mild other can feel like someone behind you hit the car in the rear end. You can check for this during a test drive w/o appearing to 'flog" the car.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:03 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
If you are looking at a 2014 this is not an issue, but 2015's and later A8 automatics can and do have issues w/ surging and other anomalies.

These issues can be infrequent and random or can occur a lot, but mine started to occur when I did a bit of spirited driving (nothing crazy, just some quicker accelerations w/ some braking and more accelerations) and then resume normal traffic operations.

Surging occurs (for me) when rolling slowly up to stopped traffic, the car will surge or lunge forward before coming to a complete stop. Some can be fairly mild other can feel like someone behind you hit the car in the rear end. You can check for this during a test drive w/o appearing to 'flog" the car.
So the needed 500 mile oil change was more for automatics? I am looking at a manual.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

I thought that was for z06/7 cars
Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

This is what the service bulletin said. Honestly at this point if there was an issue with this car not having it's oil changed in the first 500 miles you would know it by now:

To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance
The following message only applies to dry sump Corvettes that have not had their first oil change performed.
Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This
condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone
sealants in the engine’s gaskets degrading the oil’s anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine’s durability.
Effective Immediately:
GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. The new
schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring
system for all future oil change needs.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Hey Guys,

- Chevy dealer inspection
---> ensure ECU pull to see if engine was tuned or something would void the warranty
- fender walls for stuck-on rubber splatter (burning out evidence)
- tire life

Anything else?

--> if the oil was NOT changed at 500 miles, should that be a deal breaker? (assuming not on the carfax)
Wheel wells can have smeared rubber stuck in the surface if the car was on the track. Also look under the car as tire rubber will catch in various locations on the frame and floor pan support bars.

Check behind the front wheel wells, the lower doors, the rockers and the rear quarters for signs of paint chipping. The sides of the car are subject to debris blasting from the front tires and it is a cumulative affect on all cars whether or not they have side skirts and wide mud guards. The chips start as very small barely seen marks in the clear coat but eventually add up to the point the finish looks sort of foggy and when water is run over it the finish looks great.

If the car is a dry sump car run the engine until the oil temperature (NOT the coolant temperature) is above 175 degrees F. Then turn off engine, wait 5 minutes and check the oil level.

As for the dry sump 500 mile oil change some early cars may not have it done as it was something that came about after 2014 cars were being delivered for a while. I know of one 14 Z51 that did not receive the 500 mile oil change since the owner had the car for 6 months or so and several thousand miles and had already received one of the two annual oil changes that were provided for in the price of the car. This all occurred before the 500 mile oil change was introduced by GM. He has almost 20K miles on the car now and the engine is doing fine. I suspect that any car that didn't get the 500 oil change and has a fair number of miles on it by now won't be affected by the problem GM discovered.

Bill
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Wheel wells can have smeared rubber stuck in the surface if the car was on the track. Also look under the car as tire rubber will catch in various locations on the frame and floor pan support bars.

Check behind the front wheel wells, the lower doors, the rockers and the rear quarters for signs of paint chipping. The sides of the car are subject to debris blasting from the front tires and it is a cumulative affect on all cars whether or not they have side skirts and wide mud guards. The chips start as very small barely seen marks in the clear coat but eventually add up to the point the finish looks sort of foggy and when water is run over it the finish looks great.

If the car is a dry sump car run the engine until the oil temperature (NOT the coolant temperature) is above 175 degrees F. Then turn off engine, wait 5 minutes and check the oil level.

As for the dry sump 500 mile oil change some early cars may not have it done as it was something that came about after 2014 cars were being delivered for a while. I know of one 14 Z51 that did not receive the 500 mile oil change since the owner had the car for 6 months or so and several thousand miles and had already received one of the two annual oil changes that were provided for in the price of the car. This all occurred before the 500 mile oil change was introduced by GM. He has almost 20K miles on the car now and the engine is doing fine. I suspect that any car that didn't get the 500 oil change and has a fair number of miles on it by now won't be affected by the problem GM discovered.

Bill
Is there a gauge that tells you that? I know my mustang doesn't have that.

And what am I looking for? Should it be over the fill line because of heat expansion, smelling it for burning, etc.?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Is there a gauge that tells you that? I know my mustang doesn't have that.

And what am I looking for? Should it be over the fill line because of heat expansion, smelling it for burning, etc.?
Yes there is a oil temp gauge in the car. See the picture below. My dipstick reads pretty accurate. You are looking for the car to either be overfilled or under-filled.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by thill444
Yes there is a oil temp gauge in the car. See the picture below. My dipstick reads pretty accurate. You are looking for the car to either be overfilled or under-filled.
Got it, updated the list.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 used buyers guide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 used buyers guide