Sponsored by:

Changing Driving Mode in a Turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Changing Driving Mode in a Turn

It is a safer practice, not to change the steering wheel mode in a turn.

Selecting different driving mode changes multiple parameters in C7, including steering wheel ratio and firmness. Sometimes when I am in a ramp merging to a highway I change driving mode from Touring to Sport. After a second or so I feel the steering wheel gets firmer, but ratio stays same. Coming of the ramp, as soon as the steering wheel centers, the ratio changes to sport too. To me, that inconsistent feeling of the steering wheel action in a turn is not safe. Recently I change driving mode only on a straight line and way before entering a turn.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Why would you do such a thing? At low speed I'm sure it's not a problem but no logical reason for it. Too many things change in the handling characteristics to be safe at higher speed. I don't do it.
The following users liked this post:
juanvaldez (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The steering ratio remains the same regardless of mode, it is mechanically determined and not changeable outside of installing a different rack and pinion. It is variable ratio in that the ratio changes depending upon the distance the wheel is turned either side of center but that is the same regardless of mode and the lock to lock turns of the wheel is invariant across mode.

I agree that changing driver mode during a turn isn't a good idea.

For me touring mode steering offers too much assist so I have it unlinked from driver mode and set to sport at all times.
The following 3 users liked this post by NSC5:
bimmerborn (10-19-2017), daixloxbmw (10-20-2017), LT1 Z51 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

If I am approaching a cloverleaf or long onramp and know that there is no traffic that will impede a spirited jaunt, I will switch to sport mode at least a few hundred yards prior to entering that turn/ramp. I do not think I would ever consider changing it while negotiating a turn.

bimmerborn (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Probably the biggest risk is not from upsetting the electronics but from taking your hand off the wheel in order to monkey with a ****, looking at the dash for feedback (since you cannot 'feel' the **** change modes reliably), and so on... all in the middle of demanding curve.

Last edited by davepl; 10-19-2017 at 04:27 PM.
bimmerborn (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Very good point. Additional reasons not to change driving mode in a turn.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
If I am approaching a cloverleaf or long onramp and know that there is no traffic that will impede a spirited jaunt, I will switch to sport mode at least a few hundred yards prior to entering that turn/ramp. I do not think I would ever consider changing it while negotiating a turn.

Indeed. There's a great ramp by my home where there are two lanes going into a jughandle. People all tend to herd into righthand lane. Additionally the turn has a signal that is red but has a right turn arrow on green so you know that you are free to go.

I usually get into sport mode on the straightaway heading into this turn and then take the second from the right lane. Often nobody's in that lane. As I enter the turn most of the people in the right lane are slow and leave gaps. If the gap is right I change lanes to the left and if I'm lucky I can easily pass everybody on the highway entrance where the two lane merge to one.

I cannot picture also trying to get into sports mode while turning. I know about this jughandle in advance as it's right by my home and I set the sport mode way before I enter the turn.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Not sure the point of this. If you want to go fast just step on the throttle. On the street I don't see any performance difference between tour and sport. I personally drive in sport the majority of the time. I believe the only time I've used tour was a trip up to Seattle to see if I could feel a difference in the suspension. I also believe Sport mode keeps the exhaust valves open more often. Hence making it sound even better.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
Not sure the point of this. If you want to go fast just step on the throttle. On the street I don't see any performance difference between tour and sport. I personally drive in sport the majority of the time. I believe the only time I've used tour was a trip up to Seattle to see if I could feel a difference in the suspension. I also believe Sport mode keeps the exhaust valves open more often. Hence making it sound even better.
You probably have mostly better roads in your area. In my 2016 Z06 sport mode is way too stiff for a lot of the streets in this area that would look right at home in a 1970s Soviet Bloc country.

The setup options are a little different by year but I have both engine sound management and steering unlinked from driver mode with the sound management either in sport or track mode and steering in sport mode. Although there isn't a huge steering effort difference between tour and sport I find the small difference in effort makes sport mode steering feel far more solid. If the vehicle doesn't have NPP then mode has no effect upon engine sound and without MSRC there are suspension stiffness differences by mode.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by saleen556
Do you have magnetic ride suspension? If not, then changing to sport will not change much other than sound. If you do then you will notice.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Do you have magnetic ride suspension? If not, then changing to sport will not change much other than sound. If you do then you will notice.
Yes I have a Z with the Z07 package. The car doesn't ride as soft as my previous M3. However even in sport mode it feels better than my 02 Saleen mustang ever did. I guess I'm just used to sports cars riding a bit rough. I guess it's a trade off.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

You sure its changing in the turn? What's your torque input on the wheel?

When it comes to these drive mode selections in steering there are two schools of though, allow the change when the driver requests it, or ignore the driver and change at the next neutral steering event (on center, low torque)

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Driving Mode in a Turn

Quick Reply: Changing Driving Mode in a Turn