Sponsored by:

Detailer/No wax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Detailer/No wax?

If you keep enough quick detailer on the paint, and often enough; would you still need to wax the car?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I use ICE Spray Wax and ICE Detail Spray.
Both of these are very easy to use.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Fcal
I use ICE Spray Wax and ICE Detail Spray.
Both of these are very easy to use.

I use ICE paste wax. I tried the detailer only route (Mequiars) , but I could feel that the paint surface was not smooth. I've tried ICE on several other cars we own and like it best compared to other waxes/polishes. The only major I haven't tried is Adams.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56

I use ICE paste wax. I tried the detailer only route (Mequiars) , but I could feel that the paint surface was not smooth. I've tried ICE on several other cars we own and like it best compared to other waxes/polishes. The only major I haven't tried is Adams.
Try using a clay bar to remove any contamination,ie; tree sap, hard water spots, bird crap, etc. Last year I did the clay bar on my 67, which was not exposed to many elements/contamination and it was amazing on how smooth the surface ended up.
The following users liked this post:
roadbike56 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Yes. The detailer works great on waxed vehicles and also keeps car cleaner. Of course select your wax carefully and don't use the cheap wax over your dirt. Car need to be...
1. Washed and rinsed
2.Detailed with claybar
3. Polished with detailing spray and microfiber towel
4. Waxed with heated good wax (I use Collinite #845 Insulator Wax) but others good
5. Apply a second coat, same deal
6. Finish with microfiber and quick wax

Using only the spray doesn't protect much for long. Get wax, microfibers, and beer and you're good to go. Perfect "sick day" activity.

DON'T wax if you don't claybar.
Har-ray (10-21-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ Thank you for finally answering the OP's question.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:10 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I am a pro detailer, and it depends on the quick detailer product. Some are nothing more than heavy Silicone Oil that give a great shine, but absolutely zero protection.
What product are you using?
With the plethora of products and techniques, and vbdenny has it nailed for the basics.
Wax/Polish opinions are like politics, everyone has an opinion on the best.

You need to do a little research and figure out what kind of look you want and how much effort you want to put in.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:13 AM
RiCorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts

I like Chemical Guys Hybrid V7
I wash using a variation of Garry Dean Wash method and finish up with CG V7
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
I daily mine. Need to clean my car every 2 weeks. There's no way I'm cleaning, claying, and waxing the car every time. I only clay my car once every maybe 6 months to a year, or when i can feel the car has rough surface by running my finger along the body. I always put a layer of wax tho. Having an infant means I don't have a lot of time to pamper my car, so I sometimes use a liquid wax instead of carnauba wax. Often I compromise and use the carnauba on the front hood and fender, and the rest of the car gets a quick liquid wax. It helps get rid of dirt easier, otherwise more dirt sticks to the surface and it gets harder and harder to clean. It may not be ideal, but it's better than not cleaning the car at all.

I guess I should also confess that I commit the sin of using a drive through car wash, but it's a soft cloth kind. I do the drive through car wash, then wax it at home. I know it scratches the surface, but I got no time. And it's just a car.

My vote for OP's question would be YES, even if it's a liquid wax, which takes the same amount of time as a detailer spray.

Last edited by amphora001; 10-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:40 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I think the OP would like Meguiar's new Ultimate Fast Finish, as it's a sealant that comes in an aerosol can, and you use it similar to a detailing spray but it provides an actual layer of protection when you're done. I just started using it a couple of weeks ago and it's much faster to use than a normal LSP where you need to wait 20min for it to dry and then buff off the hazy residue. It behaves similar to a ceramic coating too, in that the paint stays cleaner looking after driving in the rain and seems to attract much less dust too. I even applied it to the neglected paint on my 11 year old Civic and without any prep work beforehand as well and I can see a noticeable difference in the shine. The stuff is cheap too, I got it for $12.97 at Walmart! I've done three cars with it so far and the can still feels full. I bet I will get at least 10-12 coats out of one can. It really seems to be one of the best ways to protect your paint without spending a ton of time on it. (they do recommended claying the finish before, but I didn't bother on any of my cars and still see great results)

Meguiar's does claim that it protects for one full year, so this stuff definitely provides more protection than a spray on wax. I think one year for any product other than a coating is not realistic though but even if this stuff lasts 2-3 months that's still cool since it's so easy to add a fresh layer of protection you won't want to wait a full year.

Last edited by Patman; 10-21-2017 at 05:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
dvilin (10-22-2017), Har-ray (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:27 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

This is the greatest detail/wax spray that I've ever used, and my cabinet is full of them!

Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by amphora001
I daily mine. Need to clean my car every 2 weeks. There's no way I'm cleaning, claying, and waxing the car every time. I only clay my car once every maybe 6 months to a year, or when i can feel the car has rough surface by running my finger along the body. I always put a layer of wax tho. Having an infant means I don't have a lot of time to pamper my car, so I sometimes use a liquid wax instead of carnauba wax. Often I compromise and use the carnauba on the front hood and fender, and the rest of the car gets a quick liquid wax. It helps get rid of dirt easier, otherwise more dirt sticks to the surface and it gets harder and harder to clean. It may not be ideal, but it's better than not cleaning the car at all.

I guess I should also confess that I commit the sin of using a drive through car wash, but it's a soft cloth kind. I do the drive through car wash, then wax it at home. I know it scratches the surface, but I got no time. And it's just a car.

My vote for OP's question would be YES, even if it's a liquid wax, which takes the same amount of time as a detailer spray.
Guess I should qualify. Don't wax if you haven't maintained the finish until you claybar. You only need to claybar if you haven't waxed prior.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
I am a pro detailer, and it depends on the quick detailer product. Some are nothing more than heavy Silicone Oil that give a great shine, but absolutely zero protection.
What product are you using?
With the plethora of products and techniques, and vbdenny has it nailed for the basics.
Wax/Polish opinions are like politics, everyone has an opinion on the best.

You need to do a little research and figure out what kind of look you want and how much effort you want to put in.
Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Detailer
I daily 33 mi. to and from work and remove any bird poop and spots at the end of the day. If it rains, I go over the entire car w/the detailer. There is definately something wrong w/me; but it only takes 10 min. I will NOT have dried water spots!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:27 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

After applying a good wax your paint should be Non Grabbing your Micro-Fiber towels.On daily no rain drives the car gets a look over when parked.All marks be dead bugs etc get removed then.
Tried a detailer.Maguiers,Didn't like the way it grabs the MF.If it grabs it SCRATCHES the Clear Coat.
I touch-up area's that need attention with a spray-on Wax.Wax is protection.Wax slides the MF.Less scratching the Clear.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Yes. The detailer works great on waxed vehicles and also keeps car cleaner. Of course select your wax carefully and don't use the cheap wax over your dirt. Car need to be...
1. Washed and rinsed
2.Detailed with claybar
3. Polished with detailing spray and microfiber towel
4. Waxed with heated good wax (I use Collinite #845 Insulator Wax) but others good
5. Apply a second coat, same deal
6. Finish with microfiber and quick wax

Using only the spray doesn't protect much for long. Get wax, microfibers, and beer and you're good to go. Perfect "sick day" activity.

Clay bar.......NOPE!

You're doing it the hard way with a Clay bar.....that's very yesterday.

What you want to look at for an easier way to go comes along at the 3:50 mark in this 23 minute video with more in it than just the clay bar alternative.

As for wax though....... the companies that sell it talk about the shine......but the real reason to use IMO..... it is found in how it amounts to suntan lotion for your paint.
thrilled (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:45 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,924 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Detail Spray alone will not protect the paint, you need to apply a coat of wax at least once every six months.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Skip the wax and go with a sealant for lower maintenance imo. Optimum Opti-seal. Wash, spray on, wipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailer/No wax?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,714 Likes on 2,921 Posts

I use Meguiar's Ultimate spray detailer and spray wax regularly with no complaints. Both are very quick and easy to use. I use their paste wax typically twice a year so the spray wax acts like a nice booster. I've claybar'd the car once and it didn't pick up much (likely because these cars are all fully wrapped while in transport).
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
Har-ray (10-21-2017), Rebel Yell (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:23 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ Thank you for finally answering the OP's question.
Really - I was just starting a count to see how long it would take before that happened - amazing!

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 10-21-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Everyone has a fav.....these are mine & why.

1:Rejex on the front nose,hood & windshield.Makes bug guts removal EZ.Learned this with my 1st plane.

2:Collinite for remainder of car,including glass.

3:After every drive,a quick wipe down with Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer.

I clay each car (4) every spring and do steps 1&2 twice a year.
Just my routine.

\db2
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Detailer/No wax?