General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire Warranty cost

Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

Default Wheel/Tire Warranty cost

Looking into getting a new GS but concerned about the wheels bending too easily. What is the cost for a warranty that covers the wheels/tires? Heck I worry about going over the bridges here since they are not level with the road and you have a nice bump at the beginning and especially at the end.
phileaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

I paid $499 through Criswell for wheel/tire insurance on a '17 GS
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
village idiot
CF Senior Member

It's not THAT big of a deal. They're not made of glass. It definitely shouldn't be enough of a big deal to impact your purchase decision.
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

$500 isn't bad. It probably wouldn't affect my decision on buying but is a concern. OEM wheels are never cheap. I bent two on my 08 C6 but I was forced off the road and hit some pretty good holes.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Ramler
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
Looking into getting a new GS but concerned about the wheels bending too easily. What is the cost for a warranty that covers the wheels/tires? Heck I worry about going over the bridges here since they are not level with the road and you have a nice bump at the beginning and especially at the end.
I just came all the way from Mesquite to Butte on I15 in my 17GS and didn't see anything to worry about. Of course I was in Tour or Sport at all times. I have only heard about wheels bending in Track mode. I'll take mine anywhere I need to go and just try to watch for big potholes, etc. Well over 150,000 miles on Corvettes and never bent a wheel.
Ramler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramler For This Useful Post:
phileaglesfan (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 AM   #6
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Like ANY insurance it's a gamble that you will need it/or not. Do what feels right for you!
Avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
pika
CF Member

I have also heard about these wheels bending easily and I live in NJ (the roads suck). I might have to spring for this insurance too. Is it really as bad as people are saying? I understand if I whack a pothole any wheel will bend. But roads like 287 and 22 in NJ never get maintained, little rivets and imperfections all over and it is impossible to avoid all of them. All of the posts about the bending have definitely caused me concern, but (in my opinion) the wide body is so badass

Last edited by pika; 10-22-2017 at 02:26 AM.
pika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #8
gottaz51
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
I have also heard about these wheels bending easily and I live in NJ (the roads suck). I might have to spring for this insurance too. Is it really as bad as people are saying? I understand if I whack a pothole any wheel will bend. But roads like 287 and 22 in NJ never get maintained, little rivets and imperfections all over and it is impossible to avoid all of them. All of the posts about the bending have definitely caused me concern, but (in my opinion) the wide body is so badass
My buddy has a new Grand Sport that suffered a cracked rim which was repaired and now has failed again within a month of the first issue. Insurance seem like a good deal to me, my opinion only.
gottaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 AM   #9
gtam85

Sunrise Chevrolet here in NYC charged about $4000 for 5 years or 50k miles (+/-) for the tire/wheel warranty for my '18 GS. I picked her up at the NCM in July and drove back about 900 miles w.o issues but once I entered NYC, I picked up a screw somewhere on the driver rear tire and had the it replaced a few days later no questions asked. Last month while driving through NJ I experienced another flat on the passenger rear and just had that replaced as well. Haven't had any issues with the wheels cracking/denting but the tire warranty in itself is worth it considering the price of each tire

Last edited by gtam85; 10-22-2017 at 05:00 AM.
gtam85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
daixloxbmw
CF Senior Member

I also paid $500 for a 5 year insurance on the wheels and tires on my 2017 Grand Sport. At just 3k miles, I already had 2 flat tires replaced and it would have cost me over $1200 had it not been for the insurance.
daixloxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
Travelor
CF Senior Member

With all the above discussion, you are not talkng about the tires. Should you have a flat and need a new tire the cost of the insurance will just about be recouped.

Get the insurance.
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
Fcal
CF Senior Member

Black Wheels = Wheel Insurance
Just in case of curb rash alone, it's worth it.
Fcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Marcho Polo
CF Senior Member
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcal
Black Wheels = Wheel Insurance
Just in case of curb rash alone, it's worth it.
I do not believe these policies cover curb rash. At least the one that we have on our ATS does not. Does anyone have one hat does cover curb rash?
Marcho Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Waste of cash! IMO Probably has deductible and new GM wheels are pretty cheap here but very high at a dealer. Plus you likely will never bent a wheel unless you hit something.
Your too worried about the wheels bending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
I paid $499 through Criswell for wheel/tire insurance on a '17 GS
I curbed a cup wheel on my 2015 Z06 and I replaced it for 325 from a forum vendor.

Quote:
$500 isn't bad. It probably wouldn't affect my decision on buying but is a concern. OEM wheels are never cheap. I bent two on my 08 C6 but I was forced off the road and hit some pretty good holes.
I bought 1 set of 4 new black cups from Doc's Wheels vendor here a year ago for my 2015.
about 1400.00 shipped not sure of todays price but will close.

Then yesterday I ordered another set of the machine face for 1400.00
shipped. From Bob's house of wheels! Another vendor here. For my 2017 hard to beat the cups. They weigh 10 pounds less than the heavy stock Z06 wheels. Open barrel and very easy to clean shows your brakes nicely.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-22-2017 at 06:02 PM.
3 Z06ZR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
Waste of cash! IMO Probably has deductible and new GM wheels are pretty cheap here but very high at a dealer. Plus you likely will never bent a wheel unless you hit something.

I curbed a cup wheel on my 2015 Z06 and I replaced it for 325 from a forum vendor.

I bought 1 set of 4 new black cups from Doc's Wheels vendor here a year ago for my 2015.

shipped. From Bob's house of wheels! Another vendor here. For my 2017 hard to beat the cups. They weigh 10 pounds less than the heavy stock Z06 wheels.
I was mostly worried because of reading about people bending wheels without hitting a pothole. Maybe there is nothing to worry about or maybe because the dealers push wheel damage back tot he customer these claims are never documented by GM. I'm sure most owners check on line before paying the dealer $700 or more.

I will just have to decide at the time of purchase.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #16
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
With all the above discussion, you are not talkng about the tires. Should you have a flat and need a new tire the cost of the insurance will just about be recouped.

Get the insurance.
My tires are covered by road hazard from Discount tire.
Ruin one they throw one on for free. 1650 for 4 Stock Mpss and 1840 mounted with road hazard on all 4. No taxes here though.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
I was mostly worried because of reading about people bending wheels without hitting a pothole. Maybe there is nothing to worry about or maybe because the dealers push wheel damage back tot he customer these claims are never documented by GM. I'm sure most owners check on line before paying the dealer $700 or more.

I will just have to decide at the time of purchase.
I don't buy bending a wheel without striking a nasty pothole or a curb they don't just bend to be bending.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #18
tpawlak
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcho Polo View Post
I do not believe these policies cover curb rash. At least the one that we have on our ATS does not. Does anyone have one hat does cover curb rash?
I have 6 year / $0 Deductible Roadvantage Insurance. Covers all wheel damage including road rash and tire damage including TPMS (if TPMS damaged due to road damage). Only limitation for tires is depth of 3/32 or greater at time of incident. Also includes replacement of damaged tire, if not able to be repaired, and replacement is not prorated. Policy also covers lost or damaged key replacement, towing, rental car during repairs, windshield repairs for repairable chips but not replacement, and paintless dent and ding protection which is pretty useless on C7 due to composite material. Hope I never need to use any of it...

http://roadvantage.com/products-1/to...ferred-program
tpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

shipped. From Bob's house of wheels! Another vendor here. For my 2017 hard to beat the cups. They weigh 10 pounds less than the heavy stock Z06 wheels. Open barrel and very easy to clean shows your brakes nicely.
no deductible. And driving around NY/NJ as I do, the $500 is cheap.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #20
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcho Polo View Post
Cosmetic is covered on mine
TXshaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Wheel/Tire Warranty cost
  •