Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a good A8

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:54 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

2016 Z51 with 4300 miles and no problems. v8/v4 change is totally imperceptible.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
Honest question here - If you drive the A8 in Manual 100% of the time, why not just buy an M7?
I believe most people that purchase A 8’s is cause their coordination isn’t that great with the clutch accelerator brake and shifter control.So when they have the A8 it’s easy for them doing manual.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 PM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Does anyone have a good A8

Originally Posted by Kev4
Seeing that there are so many GM cars and trucks using the A8, are there any confirmation stories about how good they are?
Here, I will start. I have only great things to say about my 2017 Z51 A8, it's shifts are quick and solid. It cruises well and it seamlessly switches from V8 to V4 and back again when power is required.
It is my impression that the 2017 models have been modified with different TC and are using different fluid. These Mods have remedied the majority of problems related to the TC.

I invite all members to write there good experiences with the A8

Thanks, looking forward to hearing all the good stories.
I have a 2016 Stingray with the A8 tranny. 5800 miles on in so far, and the transmission has worked flawlessly the entire time.

Save the Wave!!

2V

Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing that there are so many GM cars and trucks using the A8, are there any confirmation stories about how good they are?
Here, I will start. I have only great things to say about my 2017 Z51 A8, it's shifts are quick and solid. It cruises well and it seamlessly switches from V8 to V4 and back again when power is required. Using the paddle shifters is fun but the automatic selection has more accurate shifts with no human lag.
It is my impression that the 2017 models have been modified with different TC and are using different fluid. These Mods have remedied the majority of problems related to the TC.

Same set up as you, and love it. 7,200 miles in the first 6 months. I now manually downshift to 5th when I have lots of room to pass on 2 lane highways. The computer senses the pass and sends too much power. A few have seemed angry about the "aggressive" pass. Love the paddles on twisty country roads, made me a better driver compared to my M6 04. Save the wave!
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Here, I will start. I have only great things to say about my 2017 Z51 A8, it's shifts are quick and solid. It cruises well and it seamlessly switches from V8 to V4 and back again when power is required. Using the paddle shifters is fun but the automatic selection has more accurate shifts with no human lag.

I swear I don't know. I had the flush then I thought the rotors were screwed up now it's frigging cold and it's rough sounding on start up and just acts "funny" what ever that means. Maybe I'M A HYPOCHONDRIAC
Old 01-01-2018, 12:18 PM
G8ME
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I swear I don't know. I had the flush then I thought the rotors were screwed up now it's frigging cold and it's rough sounding on start up and just acts "funny" what ever that means. Maybe I'M A HYPOCHONDRIAC

2015 Stingray Z51 I had the notorious shudder, I had the TC replaced after on 3100 miles and after a few hundred more still experienced the shudder so dealership did the triple flush and immediately could tell the difference when driving the 200 miles suggested from GM. The cars runs great even though its in hibernation mode

Last edited by G8ME; 01-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM
drobbins
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

2017 base Stingray and it's been flawless although I do use the Range gadget
Just sent that in for firmware update
only 5000 miles
Old 01-01-2018, 04:44 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It is my impression that the 2017 models have been modified with different TC and are using different fluid. These Mods have remedied the majority of the problems related to the TC.

I also assume that GM is incorporating fixes to major problems like the A8 in subsequent productions being the 2017,s and 2018's respectively having the least if any A8 issuers. I purchased my C5 and C6 in the first year of production and experienced serious problems that were subsequently resolved in later years. For this reason I have since decided to purchase latest model after at least the 3rd year of production. This being the reason that I am presently in the process or ordering a 2019 instead of taking advantage of the fantastic discounts being offered on 2017's and 2018's despite no obvious changes for 2019. I am assuming either rightly or wrongly that with every new year of production there is going to be some mechanical improvement even if not well advertised for obvious reasons by GM.
Looking through this thread, I haven't seen any owners of 2018"s models appreciating there are not many out there, about experiences with the A8. Any A8 experiences with the 2018 models Would definitely be the most revealing to know about.? Many thanks for any 2018 model A8 experiences if any? Also BEST Wishes for 2018
Old 01-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertc6
I also assume that GM is incorporating fixes to major problems like the A8 in subsequent productions being the 2017,s and 2018's respectively having the least if any A8 issuers. I purchased my C5 and C6 in the first year of production and experienced serious problems that were subsequently resolved in later years. For this reason I have since decided to purchase latest model after at least the 3rd year of production. This being the reason that I am presently in the process or ordering a 2019 instead of taking advantage of the fantastic discounts being offered on 2017's and 2018's despite no obvious changes for 2019. I am assuming either rightly or wrongly that with every new year of production there is going to be some mechanical improvement even if not well advertised for obvious reasons by GM.
Looking through this thread, I haven't seen any owners of 2018"s models appreciating there are not many out there, about experiences with the A8. Any A8 experiences with the 2018 models Would definitely be the most revealing to know about.? Many thanks for any 2018 model A8 experiences if any? Also BEST Wishes for 2018
Funny, I had a first year C5 and first year C6 and the only "first year issue" I had was the noisy fuel pump with the C5.

Even with everything replaced, this A8 is just not great.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2BHPPY
Same set up as you, and love it. 7,200 miles in the first 6 months. I now manually downshift to 5th when I have lots of room to pass on 2 lane highways. The computer senses the pass and sends too much power. A few have seemed angry about the "aggressive" pass. Love the paddles on twisty country roads, made me a better driver compared to my M6 04. Save the wave!
Just an FYI: I know what you mean by too much power when trying to pass.
In my experience when in full auto, I found I was using too much throttle, "too quickly", when attempting to pass.
Pushing the pedal down to far too fast it downshifts more gears than needed.

With a little practice, I found by progressively pushing the pedal down, I can control exactly the gear it needs to be in for a controlled acceleration.
When it hits the right gear, I hold it there and only push it further if needed.
I do the same thing accelerating onto a highway entering moving traffic.
It's second nature for me now and like it much better.

Not saying you shouldn't use the paddles
But try it in auto a few times on the highway and you'll see what I mean
Old 01-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Just reached this milestone last Thursday with no problems...

Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 PM
phisch
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

5400 miles on my 2016 A8 Stingray with no problems at all. Although the V8/V4 transition is smooth and undetectable, I recently installed the Range AFM device just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a good A8