Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default 2018 builds Nov-Jan. Did you get new paint

Many of us here have orders placed for a 2018 Corvette and most already have a TPW. I thought we should have a dedicated thread to see who new paint vs old paint.

To know if/when certain colors get the new paint, we might need Intel and info from some of our CF insiders and or maybe a GM release. This is just a consolidated thread for everyone to compare notes. I have a TPW 12-18-17 Admiral blue GS.

Relevant info to post would be;

The week your Vette was built
The exterior color of your Vette
If your Vette got new or old paint

Last edited by Iconic; 11-16-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Edited to show my new TPW
The following 3 users liked this post by Iconic:
Patman (10-24-2017), Perf n Restore (10-24-2017), SouthOCBoy (10-24-2017)

Popular Reply

10-25-2017, 05:59 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
If one cannot tell if their car was painted in the old or the new facility... I'd say that it really doesn't matter which it was.

And as much as I would like to get my 2018 painted in the new shop, I really don't think it's the end of the world if it goes through the old one. Looking over the paint on my 12 year old Corvette I'm very impressed with it's level of orange peel. It's on par with my wife's 2010 BMW. And with my C6 being LeMans Blue, orange peel would be more noticeable than it would be with my Torch Red C7. I've looked closely at a lot of Torch Red paint jobs on the lots of new car dealers and have not found one yet that I thought looked bad in any respect.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

How is someone going to know if they got "new" or "old" paint? Orange peel is not a reliable indicator becasue some painted in the old paint shop have very little orange peel. Plus, I'm convinced there are a number of people here who just can't see it when it is there.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
How is someone going to know if they got "new" or "old" paint? Orange peel is not a reliable indicator becasue some painted in the old paint shop have very little orange peel. Plus, I'm convinced there are a number of people here who just can't see it when it is there.
I thought I covered this in my original post. And I actually thought you might be one of the guys in the know on this subject based on your extensive knowledge posted here. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by US Icon

To know if/when certain colors get the new paint, we might need Intel and info from some of our CF insiders and or maybe a GM release. This is just a consolidated thread for everyone to compare notes.
For example, it is known that all Sebring Orange Vettes get new paint since GM has anounced this. Perhaps they will do the same with other colors. We have a CF member here who writes for the NCM magazine and he shares to ton of intel. That is how, in part anyways. Mileage may vary..
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I have seen conflicting information on this, so unless Chevy announces it, I'd be skeptical of any info.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Sounds like an Ask Tadge question. How can one determine if their 2018 was painted in the new facility or the old facility, or can they?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Sounds like an Ask Tadge question. How can one determine if their 2018 was painted in the new facility or the old facility, or can they?
Thats a good thought. Tadge should be able to find out what the starting VIN # for each color OR production date for each color on the new paint line would be.........or something like that
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

If one cannot tell if their car was painted in the old or the new facility... I'd say that it really doesn't matter which it was.
Bob-G (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Mike Furman sent out an email last weekend, which I did not save or I'd post it here, but he said when the plant resumes production in early November, only black, white, red, and yellow (all non-metallic, non-tint coats) will be painted in the new facility. Sebring Orange will be painted in the new facility starting in early December, and other tint coats will be added at a later date (TBD).

Last edited by Foosh; 10-25-2017 at 12:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Gonzo (10-25-2017), Grimlock13 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Here is a reminder to all where the “each color paint is scheduled to be painted”:

Production at Bowling Green Assembly starts back up November 6, and at that time the ‘basics’ (Black, Arctic White, Torch Red, Corvette Racing Yellow) will begin rolling through the state-of-the-art paint shop. Tintcoats will follow the basics at a later date (Admiral Blue, Blade Silver, Cyber Matrix Gray, Long Beach Red, Sebring Orange and Watkins Glen Gray.”

However, we first learned from jagamajajaran about 7 weeks ago, as there is very limited storage space in the Plant right now due to two paint shops running (roughly 50% of the total plant size), and due to that limited storage space, Kai told us at the NCM event the end of August, that if there are assembly issues, they would use already pre-painted panels from the old paint shop to keep the line moving — and some cars thus might have panels coming from the old paint shop in contraction to the “norms” listed above.

Thus it is not 100% accurate to assume that any color other than Sebring Orange, in spite of the above plans for where each color will be painted, definitively applies to any specific car., i.e., it remains possible ifthere are assembly line production issues, an Arctic White, a black, a Torch Red and/or a Corvette Racing Yellow vehicle could have been painted in the “old” paint shop.

Perhaps VIN’s will be the definitive after assembly determinant, but I personally doubt that even that would work.

I have thus advised my friends for whom getting their 2019 painted in the new shop is a dealbreaker, to not begin to order any color other than Sebring Orange at this time, and perhaps not even until several months from now when we know how this all filters out. And maybe the only 100% guaranteed safe time to insure your car has been painted in the new paint shop, is the day after the old paint shop has been partially dismantled.

Last edited by elegant; 10-25-2017 at 01:02 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by elegant:
Iconic (10-25-2017), Kevin A Jones (10-25-2017), LuckyGuy (10-25-2017), Rebel Yell (10-26-2017), Zymurgy (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:59 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

And as much as I would like to get my 2018 painted in the new shop, I really don't think it's the end of the world if it goes through the old one. Looking over the paint on my 12 year old Corvette I'm very impressed with it's level of orange peel. It's on par with my wife's 2010 BMW. And with my C6 being LeMans Blue, orange peel would be more noticeable than it would be with my Torch Red C7. I've looked closely at a lot of Torch Red paint jobs on the lots of new car dealers and have not found one yet that I thought looked bad in any respect.
The following 7 users liked this post by Patman:
Gonzo (10-25-2017), Iconic (10-25-2017), John Micheal Henry (10-25-2017), Kevin A Jones (10-25-2017), Perf n Restore (10-25-2017), Rebel Yell (10-26-2017), SouthOCBoy (10-25-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
and some cars thus might have panels coming from the old paint shop in contraction to the “norms” listed above.
Just to add to the above- Panels from the old and new paint shop cannot be mixed on a car.

In addition while nothing is ever certain and there will always be a chance that you could get a Red, Black, White, Yellow car with its panels painted in the old paint shop after the plant re-opens, I am betting my $2K deposit that this won't be the case for a number of reasons that I can spell out if needed in another post. This production management hedge from Kai is nothing more than CYA (I would do the same in his shoes) and if it actually occurs after GM spent $400M+ on a new paint shop and close to $1B overall in improving production flow, heads will roll. You can bet one of their top priorities is to showcase this huge capital investment without any hitches.

I recommend that anyone with a White, Yellow, Black and Red 2018 car on order should rest easy.
Patman (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:00 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Good point, if your paint is free of op then who cares old or new .
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patman

I went to the Vettes on Space Coast car show last weekend where there were a ton of Vettes, many of which were C7. Since I have ordered a C7, I focused my attention on that generation and while I agree the paint looks good, I could certainly see what everyone talks about with regards to the orange peel when I looked down the sides. IMHO, they were not glass smooth and I can see what management is talking about when they say there will be a noticeable decrease in orange peel with their new paint shop.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman

I am more worried about panel rub making the paint chip.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Just another reminder that OP is not the only finish appearance issue. SMC panels also have variability coming out of the molds. Panel waviness is another issue that can only be resolved by sanding before paint.

A lot of people are reporting panel waviness as OP, but it's a different issue. However, like OP, you have to look for it at certain angles to see it.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-25-2017 at 09:37 AM.
John Micheal Henry (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Agreed. It sounds like folks have some high expectations for the cars coming out of the new paint shop, I hope there isn't a lot of disappointment compared to the expectations. The rest of the car isn't perfect, there isn't any reason to expect the paint will be. If you go over every inch of the car looking to find something, odds are you will.
Foosh (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I am more worried about panel rub making the paint chip.
The way the new production line operates should help avoid this, especially in the front fender to bumper interface where it seems to happen. Apparently the necessary clearance seems to disappear in the first few hundred miles of road operation and with body flex. Panels will be now be bolted in place with the wheels loaded instead of hanging from a rig, thus less adjustment or re-work should be required during final QC.
robertbruce (10-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 builds Nov-Jan. Did you get new paint

Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,720 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just another reminder that OP is not the only finish appearance issue. SMC panels also have variability coming out of the molds. Panel waviness is another issue that can only be resolved by sanding before paint.

A lot of people are reporting panel waviness as OP, but it's a different issue. However, like OP, you have to look for it at certain angles to see it.

Originally Posted by Bob-G
Agreed. It sounds like folks have some high expectations for the cars coming out of the new paint shop, I hope there isn't a lot of disappointment compared to the expectations. The rest of the car isn't perfect, there isn't any reason to expect the paint will be. If you go over every inch of the car looking to find something, odds are you will.

Very good points made above
Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bob-G
There will be disappointment because of unrealistic expectations. I have no doubts that on average, quality will improve, but they aren't going to be anywhere close to perfect. No mass production vehicle on the planet is.
Eminitrader (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:57 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Panel waviness is another issue that can only be resolved by sanding before paint.
I have noticed the waviness mostly on the hood and rear hatch, and only at certain angle and light combinations on my 2017. The car still looks great and has some orange peel. I will take these trivial flaws (to me anyway) over any mechanical, or electrical problem any day! The new paint shop will continue the improvement of the final product and will continually evolve.

Quick Reply: 2018 builds Nov-Jan. Did you get new paint