NJPROS
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in on Verts
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Yep, either you are Vert type, or you aren't.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
thunderglide
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I am a Vert Owner as well. I have two. And yes I have always been one to drool over convertibles. My wife loves them as well. We don't track our Verts so roll bars and the like aren't an issue.

We just love that open air experience you can't get with a coupe. JMO. I have attached ours that we love and take on trips with our club.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Hi All,
I posted this in the main C7 forum, but my problem seems to only occur when the convertible top is down on my 2015 Corvette Convertible.

With the top down, there is absolutely NO difference in air temperature from the 4 upper heat vents if I have the temp set from 61 to 89 degrees (manual mode). For example, setting it at 61 feels like 75 and like 89. The only way I can get the car to blow very hot air is to have it set as "HI".
So it's either very lukewarm (61-89) or roasting hot (HI)......nothing in between.

What's very strange is that as soon as I press the button to raise the top, I can hear some sort of noise trigger in the upper vents- and the heater can be felt from 72-89 degrees (as it should).
I have 1 hand pressing the button to raise the top, and the other hand in front of the vent- and can feel the air temp change to be warmer within a second of pressing the button to raise the top (it doesn't even have to finish the cycle of raising).
As soon as I press the button to lower the top- the vent air temp immediately goes from hot to lukewarm.
Such a strange phenomenon.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I'm kinda sick of always having to drive around at night with the heater set at "HI" just to feel any hot air with the top down.
It's going to be tough to problem-shoot the issue at the dealership, and I only have 2.5 months of bumper to bumper warranty left.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I do not have that problem. The first year I had my 16 Z I never drove it with the top up. That meant many days I was leaving the house at 6 am and it was in the very low 40's, so I would put up the windows and turn on the heater and it would keep me pretty toasty except for the wind. I do admit in my 2nd year of ownership I tend to drive to the course with the top up and only take it down after golf, so can't swear to its performance this winter. But I never used the top vents to deliver heat. Only the floor vents as the top vents weren't effective at fighting the outside air coming in.

Last edited by pkincy; 04-17-2018 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:21 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
I do not have that problem. The first year I had my 16 Z I never drove it with the top up. That meant many days I was leaving the house at 6 am and it was in the very low 40's, so I would put up the windows and turn on the heater and it would keep me pretty toasty except for the wind. I do admit in my 2nd year of ownership I tend to drive to the course with the top up and only take it down after golf, so can't swear to its performance this winter. But I never used the top vents to deliver heat. Only the floor vents as the top vents weren't effective at fighting the outside air coming in.
Love that you drive with the top down in the low 40s!!
My limit is usually mid 50s, but that's pretty rare in San Diego.
The floor vents don't feel very strong, so I like having it set on just upper vents for maximum airflow blowing on me.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Well it is colder up here, as I live in North County and play golf in Rancho Santa Fe. <g>
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

With the top down it throws the HVAC system into spasms. I've learned this from experience. I've driven through the Smokey Mountains in spring many times where the temps can vary 20 degrees within a mile, and the only way to keep the air in the vents close to good is to keep adjusting the temp controls. Remember, that little bitty thermostat is only designed to keep up with the cabin temps with the top up, not world wide temps in the open air.. There's nothing wrong with the system itself, it just doesn't know what's going on with the top down.

With all that babbling said, the best way I have found is to run the system in manual. Split the air between the floor vents and dash vents, and control the temp of the air yourself.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-19-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
With the top down it throws the HVAC system into spasms. I've learned this from experience. I've driven through the Smokey Mountains in spring many times where the temps can be 20 degrees difference within a mile, and the only way to keep the air in the vents close to good is to keep adjusting the temp controls. Remember, that little bitty thermostat is only designed to keep up with the cabin temps with the top up, not world wide temps in the open air.. There's nothing wrong with the system itself, it just doesn't know what's going on with the top down.
I can understand this argument if the temp is set in "AUTO" mode and you are driving at freeway speeds. The issue is that adjustments (from 61-89) aren't changing the temperature at all in manual mode- it's either lukewarm or roasting hot- nothing in the middle. It's not even blowing out the correct air temp while sitting still (at a traffic light, in my garage, etc). I didn't have any problems like this with my Cadillac XLR. I scheduled a dealership visit tomorrow- hopefully they can diagnose and fix the problem!

p.s. Jealous you get to drive through the Smokey Mountains- absolutely beautiful there!! Have you tackled the Tail of the Dragon? Must be a blast in the C7.

Last edited by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego; 04-19-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:41 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 2017 GS Vert

Put her back on the road yesterday, rode about 50 miles with the top down and heat on, great!!! First time using the new Range 8.6 so really the first time in auto for any length of time. Very nice staying in V8 mode. And what do you know, snow today!!! Well, nice weather is close.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 AM
New driver
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in with this sub-section on convertibles.
just bought 2015 Z06 / 3LT / w/ Z07 performance. Pachage And convertible. Registered it today...yea!!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelO
Put her back on the road yesterday, rode about 50 miles with the top down and heat on, great!!! First time using the new Range 8.6 so really the first time in auto for any length of time. Very nice staying in V8 mode. And what do you know, snow today!!! Well, nice weather is close.
Me too. Heading up to MacMulkin next week to put summer tires/wheels on, oil change and MRC recalibration. Betting on May weather.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Italianfox
Me too. Heading up to MacMulkin next week to put summer tires/wheels on, oil change and MRC recalibration. Betting on May weather.
Bought mine at MacMulkin also, getting my oil change the following week.
Mine doesn’t see winter so stays with summer tires.
If you don't mind, let me know what you think of the MRC recalibration, Thanks
Enjoy

Last edited by MichaelO; 04-20-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:04 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Hi All,
I posted this in the main C7 forum, but my problem seems to only occur when the convertible top is down on my 2015 Corvette Convertible.

With the top down, there is absolutely NO difference in air temperature from the 4 upper heat vents if I have the temp set from 61 to 89 degrees (manual mode). For example, setting it at 61 feels like 75 and like 89. The only way I can get the car to blow very hot air is to have it set as "HI".
So it's either very lukewarm (61-89) or roasting hot (HI)......nothing in between.

What's very strange is that as soon as I press the button to raise the top, I can hear some sort of noise trigger in the upper vents- and the heater can be felt from 72-89 degrees (as it should).
I have 1 hand pressing the button to raise the top, and the other hand in front of the vent- and can feel the air temp change to be warmer within a second of pressing the button to raise the top (it doesn't even have to finish the cycle of raising).
As soon as I press the button to lower the top- the vent air temp immediately goes from hot to lukewarm.
Such a strange phenomenon.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I'm kinda sick of always having to drive around at night with the heater set at "HI" just to feel any hot air with the top down.
It's going to be tough to problem-shoot the issue at the dealership, and I only have 2.5 months of bumper to bumper warranty left.
UPDATE- I took the car to Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet here in San Diego. The service writer, Derek, told me that the heater vent temp problem is ONLY limited to convertibles. They have had it reported on at least 9 cars, and had 2 GM engineers look into the problem. Apparently, it's related to an algorithm in the heater control module. Having the top down throws off the algorithm and doesn't allow it to function correctly. GM engineers are aware of this design defect, and they are working on an update. It's considered "low priority" though since it doesn't impact safety. Once it is released, your car can receive a flash software update- however, it won't be covered under warranty. Will probably cost $100-150. Kinda lame.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego:
Allen_B (04-21-2018), billiam01 (01-01-2019)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm in the club as of today, picked up my 2019 WGG M7 Vert at the NCM today.

Last edited by DarthKickA; 04-20-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sp again
Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 PM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
Just had the garage floor redone for my 'Vert "Twins".....LK

That floor treatment is stunning. What's that called and how is it installed?
Thanks, Bill Ingram
lennykoll (04-24-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
UPDATE- I took the car to Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet here in San Diego. The service writer, Derek, told me that the heater vent temp problem is ONLY limited to convertibles. They have had it reported on at least 9 cars, and had 2 GM engineers look into the problem. Apparently, it's related to an algorithm in the heater control module. Having the top down throws off the algorithm and doesn't allow it to function correctly. GM engineers are aware of this design defect, and they are working on an update. It's considered "low priority" though since it doesn't impact safety. Once it is released, your car can receive a flash software update- however, it won't be covered under warranty. Will probably cost $100-150. Kinda lame.
This confirms what I have suspected from observations- With the top down the HVAC system seems to operate in a "minimal" mode. The auto functions work fine with the top up but skitz out with the top down. Noted this pretty obviously one afternoon when I was coming home and put the top back up and the system (in auto mode) shifted back to "normal" to meet the temp set on the thermostat.

May not be the "right" answer but I have just accepted it as the normal operation. If needed, just tweak the settings in manual mode. Have to say it actually makes more sense to override auto mode with the top down anyway since the system would be adjusting temps based on inaccurate info, the limited area where the temp sensor is. That is, if it is a cool day the system in auto would just try to cook your feet with the heat blasting or on a hot day, blowing cold air from the top vents accomplishing little. If GM "fixes" it, I would be surprised because it seems to be operating as designed.

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 04-21-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Sub Section

Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 AM
MichaelO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allen_B
This confirms what I have suspected from observations- With the top down the HVAC system seems to operate in a "minimal" mode. The auto functions work fine with the top up but skitz out with the top down. Noted this pretty obviously one afternoon when I was coming home and put the top back up and the system (in auto mode) shifted back to "normal" to meet the temp set on the thermostat.

May not be the "right" answer but I have just accepted it as the normal operation. If needed, just tweak the settings in manual mode. Have to say it actually makes more sense to override auto mode with the top down anyway since the system would be adjusting temps based on inaccurate info, the limited area where the temp sensor is. That is, if it is a cool day the system in auto would just try to cook your feet with the heat blasting or on a hot day, blowing cold air from the top vents accomplishing little. If GM "fixes" it, I would be surprised because it seems to be operating as designed.

Allen
Yup, my 17 GS Vert does this also, I noticed it the other day. Would be nice to get it fixed, but, it should be done under warranty in my opinion!!! I like driving in "cool" weather with the top down, some heat makes it that much more enjoyable.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelO
Bought mine at MacMulkin also, getting my oil change the following week.
Mine doesn’t see winter so stays with summer tires.
If you don't mind, let me know what you think of the MRC recalibration, Thanks
Enjoy
My vettes used to hibernate all winter too but I'm getting too old not to drive the C7 at every opportunity. Put AS 3+ tires and extra rims on it but it doesn't go on salt roads, snow, sleet, etc. I also don't mind driving in the rain although I did in my last vettes, guess i'm developing a different attitude towards my toys in my old age. Appointment is Wednesday so I'll let you know about MRC by the weekend. i'm interesting to see what they charge me for it as I've seen folklore that it is free if still under warranty and $350 if not. Don't know which is correct. I am still under warranty so i guess I cudda aked but I planned to do it anyhow as I've read some very positive things about it. I have a Z-51 which can be quite harsh over some surfaces in sport mode.
MichaelO (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM
MichaelO
Instructor

Originally Posted by $Bill
That floor treatment is stunning. What's that called and how is it installed?
Thanks, Bill Ingram
Nice rides, enjoy

Quick Reply: Convertible Sub Section