Sponsored by:

Trouble shifting into 2nd gear at low speeds and rear diff qs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM
xlaziox
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble shifting into 2nd gear at low speeds and rear diff qs

(2014 manual Z51 Corvette) I have only owned this car for a week or so now, but it hadn't been doing this until yesterday that I noticed. When I was in this parking lot, the system was warmed up, because I had been on the highway prior. There was a speed limit of like 25 on this parking lot road, so I was just kind of putt putting along and went to shift into 2nd at maybe 20 mph, and when I went to push the shifter into second, it was like it was being physically blocked from going down. Not grinding or anything, like blocked entirely for a split second. I noticed it flashed something up on the HUD, but it went away faster than I could tell what it said. Rev matching was not on or anything, and it didn't do it on every shift into second. Kind of intermittently while I wasn't really taking off through the gears and just driving to coast at low speed in 2nd. Anybody know what that might be?

I also picked up the Chevy certified paperwork yesterday and it included a history of all of the things that had been repaired under warranty. Looks like the car got a new rear diff mid 2014, and roof and door panel trim? Maybe they damaged interior while repairing something else? I read some about the rear diff issues. They also mentioned during the chevy certified inspection that the rear diff was low on fluid at 12,000 miles. Should I be concerned it is leaking or something? Or did maybe someone do a fluid change after the diff was replaced and had the old amount of fluid put back in? Any pointers on rear diff maintenance?
Old 10-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 594 Likes on 348 Posts

Totally normal.when driving non aggressive,the system will make you shift from 1 to 3 skipping 2nd. For miliage reasons.it sucks so I bought the popular skip shift eliminator kit for about 20$ and installed in 10 mins. All gone but you will still get message when it thinks it's doing it. Best mod for manual c7!! Gary.
The following users liked this post:
xlaziox (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:53 PM
xlaziox
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh great. Liberal nannying of my second gear . I already have to dump 3 gallons of liberal urine into my diesel every few tanks of gas, and my truck will only go 5mph until I add more if I run out. <eye roll> Thanks for the quick reply. One thing not to worry about.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:37 PM
ProudZowner
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

correction: 1 to 4, not 1 to 3.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:59 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default yup

skip shift but in the M7/2014 second can be alittle "graunchy" until the tranny warms up......
Old 10-28-2017, 04:09 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Just give it a bit more gas and shift at a very slightly higher rpm and no need for any type of over ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble shifting into 2nd gear at low speeds and rear diff qs

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting into 2nd gear at low speeds and rear diff qs