Sponsored by:

Small town dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 PM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Small town dealer

Hi, I recently visited a small town chevy dealer; lekner chevy in woodstock va. This dealership has a large number (at lest 26 new) and several used c7 vettes. Nice people and I was wondering if anyone has bought vettes from them or had their cars serviced there--opinions?

Thanks, e-fish
Old 10-28-2017, 04:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Nope, haven't heard of them. That's alot of Corvettes for a small-town dealership.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have worked through my small town dealers for years, and been quite lucky with pricing. Albeit their pricing isn't as low as some of our forum dealers I have built a good relationship with them. In my mind that means a lot when I need something. So I say give 'em a chance, you might be surprised. Good luck.

I looked at Lekner's Vettes, and it looks like they have a very good selection with some quite good prices. Keep in mind if the prices shown don't include the 3K loyalty discount from GM you still have to the 31st to get that. Some dealers include that in their advertised discounts, and some don't. The only thing I see that would make me hesitate is their $999 doc fees. Man that's high.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 10-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:02 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

You might want to contact the local Corvette Club and get any feedback they have. With that much inventory they must be doing something right and it is a good bet members of the Corvette Club have some experience with them.
The following 3 users liked this post by dvilin:
AORoads (10-30-2017), Rebel Yell (10-29-2017), walker3 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Maybe they are attempting to build up their corvette allocations and might give you a deal. Give them a try. I would ask them to match one of the big forum dealers prices.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

WOW! A "small town dealer" with 26 new Vettes!!! Apparently, we speak different lanquages!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

It comes down to how their discount compares to the many Forum dealers.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Lake Havasu is approx. 50,000 population, we have one Chevy dealer and they haven't had a Corvette for I'd say 6 months at least, or used ones for that matter.
Maybe that's why they called last week about mine and if I would be interested in a trade/sell deal, I said not at this time thanks
NSF
Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i was just looking at pricing and i honestly don't get the used market on the c7. people are asking the same money for a 2-3yr old car with 20k miles as forum dealers are selling new ones for.

reminds me of toyota. a new tacoma or 4runner on a year end event is the same as the 2015-2016 model with 15-20k down the street.

what's the point
Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by racebum
i was just looking at pricing and i honestly don't get the used market on the c7. people are asking the same money for a 2-3yr old car with 20k miles as forum dealers are selling new ones for.

reminds me of toyota. a new tacoma or 4runner on a year end event is the same as the 2015-2016 model with 15-20k down the street.

what's the point
Used car asking prices are just that, asking/starting price. Highly negotiable. The discounted new car prices are usually firm and not negotiable.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Used car asking prices are just that, asking/starting price. Highly negotiable. The discounted new car prices are usually firm and not negotiable.
i agree. that is the mentality

but if someone can't price their car correctly out of the gate i for one don't want to deal with them. best case i may make an at book or at market value offer within the first 2 minutes of conversation. if they go for it, what was the point in asking high? if they don't.....well it goes back to the waste of time with people asking more than an object is worth. the past 3 used cars i have sold i priced at market value and sold within 2 weeks and at that asking price. it's easy. people respect it and there is no hassle

Last edited by racebum; 10-29-2017 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (10-30-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I shopped the Chevy dealers in fairly large cities, Raleigh and Durham, and neither had anything like 27 Corvettes. They had five Grand Sports between them and none of the colors/trim levels/options I wanted, not to mention price.

I just flew up to Kerbeck and got exactly what I wanted at the best price available. Your a helluva lot closer to NJ than I am. If you can't get what you want there, I'd give Kerbeck a try.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
i agree. that is the mentality

but if someone can't price their car correctly out of the gate i for one don't want to deal with them. best case i may make an at book or at market value offer within the first 2 minutes of conversation. if they go for it, what was the point in asking high? if they don't.....well it goes back to the waste of time with people asking more than an object is worth. the past 3 used cars i have sold i priced at market value and sold within 2 weeks and at that asking price. it's easy. people respect it and there is no hassle
When selling a car that easy it generally leaves me thinking I sold it too cheap.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Avanti
WOW! A "small town dealer" with 26 new Vettes!!! Apparently, we speak different lanquages!
That's one heck of an inventory they have.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:25 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you happen to read the disclosures? You need to add freight and $1K dealer processing fee to the prices, in addition to the usual TTT fees.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 AM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
When selling a car that easy it generally leaves me thinking I sold it too cheap.
When I sell my cars, I usually manage to get it done in a day or two. I do my pricing research ahead of time, and then price it close to where I believe it should sell. Buyers who have an interest in the car immediately know that the price is more realistic than every other comparable car, and they respond quickly. Of course, my cars are always in great shape with complete service documentation, so when buyers come to see them, they usually make an offer quickly. In most cases I sell to the first person who looks at the car, and the sale is at or very close to my list price. I never feel that I have sold it too cheap.

Time is money. If you want to spend one, two, three months or more trying to sell your car, is that really the best strategy? The longer your car is on the market, the less it will be worth in the buyer's opinion. I bet I get more money for my cars than the guy who prices well above the market "so he has room to negotiate."

I have been looking for a Corvette convertible for a few months. Many of the cars that were available at the beginning of my search are still for sale. Several have moved from one dealer to another, sometimes with an auction sale in between. If they had been priced properly at retail, I'm pretty sure that the dealer would have made more money than they got at auction. Private sellers are the same. How many Corvettes have you seen on Craigslist with asking prices that are insane? If those cars ever sell, I bet they don't get above market value.
The following users liked this post:
racebum (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQ Vette
When I sell my cars, I usually manage to get it done in a day or two. I do my pricing research ahead of time, and then price it close to where I believe it should sell. Buyers who have an interest in the car immediately know that the price is more realistic than every other comparable car, and they respond quickly. Of course, my cars are always in great shape with complete service documentation, so when buyers come to see them, they usually make an offer quickly. In most cases I sell to the first person who looks at the car, and the sale is at or very close to my list price. I never feel that I have sold it too cheap.

Time is money. If you want to spend one, two, three months or more trying to sell your car, is that really the best strategy? The longer your car is on the market, the less it will be worth in the buyer's opinion. I bet I get more money for my cars than the guy who prices well above the market "so he has room to negotiate."

I have been looking for a Corvette convertible for a few months. Many of the cars that were available at the beginning of my search are still for sale. Several have moved from one dealer to another, sometimes with an auction sale in between. If they had been priced properly at retail, I'm pretty sure that the dealer would have made more money than they got at auction. Private sellers are the same. How many Corvettes have you seen on Craigslist with asking prices that are insane? If those cars ever sell, I bet they don't get above market value.
I guess we all have our strategies for selling cars that seem to best fit our particular circumstances, definitely not a 'one fit all' process.

Personalty, I've sold A LOT of Vettes and collectible cars over the years and fortunately many all I do is contact someone who has previously communicated interest in a particular car and deal is done.

Other times I'm in no real hurry, I know the values of cars I collect and have sold some same Vette and DeLorean models multiple times. I typically set prices towards the higher end of the scale as this helps limit tire kickers and wholesalers and my cars are always in immaculate condition. Sometimes it may take a little while but as you the first potential buyer most always takes it.

But as I stated above, there's been a time or two were a buyer has shown up quickly and paid what I was asking without even trying to negotiate leaving me wondering how much $ I left on the table.

Get notified of new replies

To Small town dealer

Old 10-30-2017, 08:37 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Maybe they are attempting to build up their corvette allocations and might give you a deal. Give them a try. I would ask them to match one of the big forum dealers prices.
Seems like a fairly large auto group with 3 Ford stores, Nissan and Chrysler Jeep Dodge as well as Chevrolet. He must move some with that inventory
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think the two posters above on selling cars just have different styles of selling and different "wants" as to time-to-sell, pricing, etc. Neither one is necessarily wrong. Time is money. Sometimes a dealer or priv. party can wait, sometimes they don't want to wait.

As to dealers making "bad deals" by waiting too long and having to wholesale, trade to another dealer, or auction it off, if they were doing such a lousy job they'd be out of biz or experience a complete staff replacement including theselves. So, they're not doing that badly, just bad on a car or two that the public thinks should have been sold at a lower price, and quicker.

I've sold and I've bought. Most recently, just like mentioned above, I watched a car sit for awhile--about 4+ weeks, and the price dropped at least once. Then, I arrived. It dropped some more and I'm the owner. Sometimes I wait, and like the example above, sometimes I don't. I'll pay it because the next real buyer coming along will offer 100 less and sign the papers in five minutes. I know it happens; I've done it on both sides of the deal.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

It depends. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask a small town Chev. dealer if they'll deal. I lucked into a small town of 3,500 population Chev. dealer, that had bought (15) new Corvettes. When I called, he said he had (9) left. I drove out and dealt on one. Saved a bundle vs BIG city dealers I had shopped.

Quick Reply: Small town dealer