Car running too cool? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running too cool?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Slappy3243
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NSC5 View Post
The only vehicles I have ever owned that would cool excessively after initial warmup have been two diesel pickups when driven in very cold weather without grill covers in place. Because diesels have no air throttle and very little fuel is injected under light load they can cool excessively through the amount of fresh air ingested (similar to how Cadillac allowed their Northstar V8 to run in "camel mode" which allowed operation at reduced power after cooling system failure via shutting off fuel to alternate cylinders while allowing intake air to cool them).

My Z06 stays at normal operating temperature even when I was driving it in the mountains using engine braking on long downhill runs. It shouldn't have any problem maintaining normal temperature (at least staying warm enough) once initial heating has occurred.

Yeah, I don't remember this happening previously so something is up. I think it is the thermostat. I will try to check the gauges in "Touring" mode on my ride home to see if I can get a digital read.

As far as the problem goes - is this something that can wait until my next oil change? My mileage is the same as it was before and there are no check engine lights. I would rather get this done during a routine oil change to save me some time.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,002 Times in 678 Posts

As long as it is hanging up open rather than closed it shouldn't be a problem as long as your next oil change occurs before the outside temperature really starts to fall. But keep an eye on the temperature because a thermostat that is sticking open likely has an increased chance of sticking in the closed position.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM
Slappy3243
CF Senior Member

As long as it is hanging up open rather than closed it shouldn't be a problem as long as your next oil change occurs before the outside temperature really starts to fall. But keep an eye on the temperature because a thermostat that is sticking open likely has an increased chance of sticking in the closed position.
Keeping in mind that I do live in Florida, I am not too worried about the temperatures getting too cold . I grew up in NY so the case would be quite different during a cold spell there and potentially not having effective heat in my car.

I really appreciate the help. I will update this thread with any updates when I have them. I think my oil life monitor is at 80% right now but I drive a lot.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:06 PM
hangman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 View Post
Can you post a link to your thread? I would like to read it. Have you discussed it with the dealer or elsewhere?

Thanks
Hi Slappy, here is the link to my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-driving.html

What I find is that the indicator is as mentioned, dependent on engine temp. I have monitored it and as soon as my engine temp hits 180, the yellow line goes away. As soon as it drops to like 168, the yellow line appears and the engine would then take a few seconds to warm up to 180 and the line would go away again and vice versa. This condition only happens and show up when the outside temp is cool, usually in the 60's or lower, and only when I am cruising or the rpm is not very high. Which makes sense to me since this would cool the engine back down to 168 and then it warms up again and vice versa. I live in Houston and this does not happen in the summer time since the temp usually is around 190 or 200 during normal driving in the summer. I did compare it to another C7 of a friend and his does the same so I figured it was normal and I also like my engine to run a little cooler around 180 anyways.
The odd thing is that this appears only when the instrument cluster is in the sport or track display. The yellow line does not reappear after the initial warm up in the touring display tach.
Note, my car has behaved this way from new and since the yellow line at 3500 rpm doesn't go away until after the first 500 miles, that's when I first noticed it.

Last edited by hangman; 10-31-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Slappy3243
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hangman View Post
Hi Slappy, here is the link to my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-driving.html

What I find is that the indicator is as mentioned, dependent on engine temp. I have monitored it and as soon as my engine temp hits 180, the yellow line goes away. As soon as it drops to like 168, the yellow line appears and the engine would then take a few seconds to warm up to 180 and the line would go away again and vice versa. This condition only happens and show up when the outside temp is cool, usually in the 60's or lower, and only when I am cruising or the rpm is not very high. Which makes sense to me since this would cool the engine back down to 168 and then it warms up again and vice versa. I live in Houston and this does not happen in the summer time since the temp usually is around 190 or 200 during normal driving in the summer. I did compare it to another C7 of a friend and his does the same so I figured it was normal and I also like my engine to run a little cooler around 180 anyways.
The odd thing is that this appears only when the instrument cluster is in the sport or track display. The yellow line does not reappear after the initial warm up in the touring display tach.
Note, my car has behaved this way from new and since the yellow line at 3500 rpm doesn't go away until after the first 500 miles, that's when I first noticed it.
Thank you for that link and information. Yes, this started here with my car when the temps dropped recently, but I don't remember this happening other years. Also, my head's up display actually does match the tach when this happens. It's very subtle since the fluctuation is small, unlike when the car is first warming up from cold.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Slappy3243
CF Senior Member

I monitored the temps in touring mode last night. The engine temp stayed between 172 and 176 degrees while driving on the highway, well below the 190-200 degree range it should be at. This explains the tachometer lines. Oil got to about 180 degrees.

Thank you guys.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 PM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you found the digital display Slappy. Much of the menu system is anything but intuitive with the C7.

At some point the engine cooling temperature will be sustained at a point low enough to create an error as people installing 160 degree thermostats have found. When that happens your digital temperature readout will go to zero and the analog gauge will stay on the lower peg, the cooling fan will also continue to run when the car is shut off. The controller leaves the fan on because it assumes that the coolant temperature sensor may not be reading correctly. So don't panic if this happens because you can still drive it to the dealer but it will be time to get it replaced at that point.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Slappy3243
CF Senior Member

Glad you found the digital display Slappy. Much of the menu system is anything but intuitive with the C7.

At some point the engine cooling temperature will be sustained at a point low enough to create an error as people installing 160 degree thermostats have found. When that happens your digital temperature readout will go to zero and the analog gauge will stay on the lower peg, the cooling fan will also continue to run when the car is shut off. The controller leaves the fan on because it assumes that the coolant temperature sensor may not be reading correctly. So don't panic if this happens because you can still drive it to the dealer but it will be time to get it replaced at that point.
I appreciate all of your feedback. I'll update here if anything changes.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Flame Red
CF Senior Member

Funny, a lot of people run a 160 stat. I don't see them mentioning this, but some do report they do get some message (or code?) indicating that the car is not warming up.

I have run a 180 stat without this issue. I am now trying a 170 stat for the last couple of weeks and have not noted this behavior - yet. No tune.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 PM
DanZR1
CF Senior Member

Kinda off topic, but when the car is cold, and the red line is at 4500, will it shut off the fuel at 4500 RPM if you floor it? Always wondered about that, but don't really want to mat my throttle on a cold engine...
Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 PM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DanZR1 View Post
Kinda off topic, but when the car is cold, and the red line is at 4500, will it shut off the fuel at 4500 RPM if you floor it? Always wondered about that, but don't really want to mat my throttle on a cold engine...
The warning line is advisory only, the fuel cutoff is still at the normal redline RPM.

The tach warning line is a nice reminder but I like the oil temp to be up to 170 before I go to higher RPM and it will lag the coolant temperature quite a bit during warmup; at least with dry sump engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to NSC5 For This Useful Post:
DanZR1 (11-01-2017)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Roly16

To the op. Did you take it to the dealer to have the thermostat checked?
I have been doing some research since after a year of ownership I noticed the same thing happening. line coming up even after 30 minutes drives.

It looks like each dials are set to consider engine cold engine at different temperatures. The touring dialís yellow line goes away when temperatures reaches 163. However, the sport and track cold light wont go away until engine temperature reaches 176.

Here my thing, I donít remember seen this in my year of ownership until couple months ago. I was able to capture multiple videos showing the yellow line coming off and on. This only happens highway driving and not while idle or stuck in traffic. My concern is that if there has been report of c7 running too hot, how is mine running too cold? Is the thermostat defective?

I have been monitoring my temperature and highway driving its running between 174-186. If its at 174 or lower the line comes up on sport/track dial.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:31 PM
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Roly16 View Post
To the op. Did you take it to the dealer to have the thermostat checked?
I have been doing some research since after a year of ownership I noticed the same thing happening. line coming up even after 30 minutes drives.

It looks like each dials are set to consider engine cold engine at different temperatures. The touring dialís yellow line goes away when temperatures reaches 163. However, the sport and track cold light wont go away until engine temperature reaches 176.

Here my thing, I donít remember seen this in my year of ownership until couple months ago. I was able to capture multiple videos showing the yellow line coming off and on. This only happens highway driving and not while idle or stuck in traffic. My concern is that if there has been report of c7 running too hot, how is mine running too cold? Is the thermostat defective?

I have been monitoring my temperature and highway driving its running between 174-186. If its at 174 or lower the line comes up on sport/track dial.
If not he's been driving it that way for more than a year
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Roly16 View Post

You need a replacement thermostat regardless what the OP did!

These engines are not designed to run that cold unless you are looking for more power and have a tune increasing timing etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-12-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car running too cool?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: