Sponsored by:

Car running too cool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The only vehicles I have ever owned that would cool excessively after initial warmup have been two diesel pickups when driven in very cold weather without grill covers in place. Because diesels have no air throttle and very little fuel is injected under light load they can cool excessively through the amount of fresh air ingested (similar to how Cadillac allowed their Northstar V8 to run in "camel mode" which allowed operation at reduced power after cooling system failure via shutting off fuel to alternate cylinders while allowing intake air to cool them).

My Z06 stays at normal operating temperature even when I was driving it in the mountains using engine braking on long downhill runs. It shouldn't have any problem maintaining normal temperature (at least staying warm enough) once initial heating has occurred.

Yeah, I don't remember this happening previously so something is up. I think it is the thermostat. I will try to check the gauges in "Touring" mode on my ride home to see if I can get a digital read.

As far as the problem goes - is this something that can wait until my next oil change? My mileage is the same as it was before and there are no check engine lights. I would rather get this done during a routine oil change to save me some time.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

As long as it is hanging up open rather than closed it shouldn't be a problem as long as your next oil change occurs before the outside temperature really starts to fall. But keep an eye on the temperature because a thermostat that is sticking open likely has an increased chance of sticking in the closed position.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

As long as it is hanging up open rather than closed it shouldn't be a problem as long as your next oil change occurs before the outside temperature really starts to fall. But keep an eye on the temperature because a thermostat that is sticking open likely has an increased chance of sticking in the closed position.
Keeping in mind that I do live in Florida, I am not too worried about the temperatures getting too cold . I grew up in NY so the case would be quite different during a cold spell there and potentially not having effective heat in my car.

I really appreciate the help. I will update this thread with any updates when I have them. I think my oil life monitor is at 80% right now but I drive a lot.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Can you post a link to your thread? I would like to read it. Have you discussed it with the dealer or elsewhere?

Thanks
Hi Slappy, here is the link to my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-driving.html

What I find is that the indicator is as mentioned, dependent on engine temp. I have monitored it and as soon as my engine temp hits 180, the yellow line goes away. As soon as it drops to like 168, the yellow line appears and the engine would then take a few seconds to warm up to 180 and the line would go away again and vice versa. This condition only happens and show up when the outside temp is cool, usually in the 60's or lower, and only when I am cruising or the rpm is not very high. Which makes sense to me since this would cool the engine back down to 168 and then it warms up again and vice versa. I live in Houston and this does not happen in the summer time since the temp usually is around 190 or 200 during normal driving in the summer. I did compare it to another C7 of a friend and his does the same so I figured it was normal and I also like my engine to run a little cooler around 180 anyways.
The odd thing is that this appears only when the instrument cluster is in the sport or track display. The yellow line does not reappear after the initial warm up in the touring display tach.
Note, my car has behaved this way from new and since the yellow line at 3500 rpm doesn't go away until after the first 500 miles, that's when I first noticed it.

Last edited by hangman; 10-31-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hangman
Hi Slappy, here is the link to my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-driving.html

What I find is that the indicator is as mentioned, dependent on engine temp. I have monitored it and as soon as my engine temp hits 180, the yellow line goes away. As soon as it drops to like 168, the yellow line appears and the engine would then take a few seconds to warm up to 180 and the line would go away again and vice versa. This condition only happens and show up when the outside temp is cool, usually in the 60's or lower, and only when I am cruising or the rpm is not very high. Which makes sense to me since this would cool the engine back down to 168 and then it warms up again and vice versa. I live in Houston and this does not happen in the summer time since the temp usually is around 190 or 200 during normal driving in the summer. I did compare it to another C7 of a friend and his does the same so I figured it was normal and I also like my engine to run a little cooler around 180 anyways.
The odd thing is that this appears only when the instrument cluster is in the sport or track display. The yellow line does not reappear after the initial warm up in the touring display tach.
Note, my car has behaved this way from new and since the yellow line at 3500 rpm doesn't go away until after the first 500 miles, that's when I first noticed it.
Thank you for that link and information. Yes, this started here with my car when the temps dropped recently, but I don't remember this happening other years. Also, my head's up display actually does match the tach when this happens. It's very subtle since the fluctuation is small, unlike when the car is first warming up from cold.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

I monitored the temps in touring mode last night. The engine temp stayed between 172 and 176 degrees while driving on the highway, well below the 190-200 degree range it should be at. This explains the tachometer lines. Oil got to about 180 degrees.

Thank you guys.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you found the digital display Slappy. Much of the menu system is anything but intuitive with the C7.

At some point the engine cooling temperature will be sustained at a point low enough to create an error as people installing 160 degree thermostats have found. When that happens your digital temperature readout will go to zero and the analog gauge will stay on the lower peg, the cooling fan will also continue to run when the car is shut off. The controller leaves the fan on because it assumes that the coolant temperature sensor may not be reading correctly. So don't panic if this happens because you can still drive it to the dealer but it will be time to get it replaced at that point.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Glad you found the digital display Slappy. Much of the menu system is anything but intuitive with the C7.

At some point the engine cooling temperature will be sustained at a point low enough to create an error as people installing 160 degree thermostats have found. When that happens your digital temperature readout will go to zero and the analog gauge will stay on the lower peg, the cooling fan will also continue to run when the car is shut off. The controller leaves the fan on because it assumes that the coolant temperature sensor may not be reading correctly. So don't panic if this happens because you can still drive it to the dealer but it will be time to get it replaced at that point.
I appreciate all of your feedback. I'll update here if anything changes.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Funny, a lot of people run a 160 stat. I don't see them mentioning this, but some do report they do get some message (or code?) indicating that the car is not warming up.

I have run a 180 stat without this issue. I am now trying a 170 stat for the last couple of weeks and have not noted this behavior - yet. No tune.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-01-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Kinda off topic, but when the car is cold, and the red line is at 4500, will it shut off the fuel at 4500 RPM if you floor it? Always wondered about that, but don't really want to mat my throttle on a cold engine...
Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DanZR1
Kinda off topic, but when the car is cold, and the red line is at 4500, will it shut off the fuel at 4500 RPM if you floor it? Always wondered about that, but don't really want to mat my throttle on a cold engine...
The warning line is advisory only, the fuel cutoff is still at the normal redline RPM.

The tach warning line is a nice reminder but I like the oil temp to be up to 170 before I go to higher RPM and it will lag the coolant temperature quite a bit during warmup; at least with dry sump engines.
The following users liked this post:
DanZR1 (11-01-2017)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Roly16
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the op. Did you take it to the dealer to have the thermostat checked?
I have been doing some research since after a year of ownership I noticed the same thing happening. line coming up even after 30 minutes drives.

It looks like each dials are set to consider engine cold engine at different temperatures. The touring dial’s yellow line goes away when temperatures reaches 163. However, the sport and track cold light wont go away until engine temperature reaches 176.

Here my thing, I don’t remember seen this in my year of ownership until couple months ago. I was able to capture multiple videos showing the yellow line coming off and on. This only happens highway driving and not while idle or stuck in traffic. My concern is that if there has been report of c7 running too hot, how is mine running too cold? Is the thermostat defective?

I have been monitoring my temperature and highway driving its running between 174-186. If its at 174 or lower the line comes up on sport/track dial.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Roly16
To the op. Did you take it to the dealer to have the thermostat checked?
I have been doing some research since after a year of ownership I noticed the same thing happening. line coming up even after 30 minutes drives.

It looks like each dials are set to consider engine cold engine at different temperatures. The touring dial’s yellow line goes away when temperatures reaches 163. However, the sport and track cold light wont go away until engine temperature reaches 176.

Here my thing, I don’t remember seen this in my year of ownership until couple months ago. I was able to capture multiple videos showing the yellow line coming off and on. This only happens highway driving and not while idle or stuck in traffic. My concern is that if there has been report of c7 running too hot, how is mine running too cold? Is the thermostat defective?

I have been monitoring my temperature and highway driving its running between 174-186. If its at 174 or lower the line comes up on sport/track dial.
If not he's been driving it that way for more than a year
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

You need a replacement thermostat regardless what the OP did!

These engines are not designed to run that cold unless you are looking for more power and have a tune increasing timing etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 PM
AEK
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

So, I have exactly this problem, and have had it since I bought my 2014 Z51 LT1 used last year.

The one non-stock feature of my car is a nice aluminum radiator (I forget if it's a DeWitt or the other brand).

In slow traffic, around town, at idle, driven hard, etc. the engine always sits at 210-220F, on the real water temperature gauge on the right.

When I bought the car, it was previously a track car, with Mobil 1 15W-50. I had an incident one 49-degree evening, where the engine went "too cold" and into the mode where all the fans went on (this is mentioned earlier in this thread), etc. I limped home, and ended up replacing the thermostat housing and thermostat (the old one looked OK) with the stock GM part, replaced the lost coolant, etc. Before and since then, on any day while cruising, the coolant temperature will ALWAYS drop enough to trigger the "yellow bars", if/when I am cruising in 6th or 7th gear. If I drop down to 4th (or sometime 5th), the yellow bar will go away after a short while. This is with outside temps in the 50-to-80-degree range, day or night, etc.

A few days ago and around 1500 miles into owning the car, I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 (Dexos 2, yadda yadda yadda). The problem seems even worse now -- as an example, from a fully warmed-up engine in town (210-220F on water, mid-gauge on oil temps) on a 39-degree night, I drove home at highway speeds for around 35 miles and light throttle in the upper gears, and by the time I got home, the water temp was had fallen to around 160F, and the yellow bar had rotated CCW almost to the 12 o'clock position (just a little bit to the right of "4" on the tacho).

So, I'm kinda at a loss to understand this. I really can't believe that this aluminum radiator is so insanely efficient that it just sucks the heat of this engine in this manner. Furthermore, I thought C7s have 180-190F T-stats, and so 160 is on the low side (but may be incorrect, I need to use that other dash mode).

I really doubt my T-stat is stuck, since in all other situations except high-gear highway cruise, temps are stable at 210-220F. And I've seen the exact same behavior through two T-stats, both of which appear to be identical.

What am I missing?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:20 AM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Sounds like your thermostat is sticking in the open position after initial warm up. The engine temperature should definitely not drop back to the point where the "cold RPM" limits are displayed again after it initially reaches normal operating temperature.
If the thermostat was sticking open it would throw a code.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 AM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Nope.

Get notified of new replies

To Car running too cool?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AEK
So, I have exactly this problem, and have had it since I bought my 2014 Z51 LT1 used last year.

The one non-stock feature of my car is a nice aluminum radiator (I forget if it's a DeWitt or the other brand).

I really doubt my T-stat is stuck, since in all other situations except high-gear highway cruise, temps are stable at 210-220F. And I've seen the exact same behavior through two T-stats, both of which appear to be identical.

What am I missing?
FWIW, it could be sticking. Easy enough to check and not guess. Did it when selecting the proper thermostat for the 502 cid engine in my '34 Ford. In fact found a thermostat that had a wider, quicker opening NOT just the correct temp. It is a "range" NOT an instant temperature where it operates. The thermostat could be starting to open early. Could try a higher quality thermostat than the GM part. I found a Robert Shaw thermostat had a narrower opening range. Check with Jegs or Summitt tech folks (google for 800 #) and get the correct one.

This is a procedure I just copied:
Thermostat Testing

Unlike many other parts, you can’t just look at a thermostat and know if it is good or not. Thermostat testing is easy and it is kind of cool to watch, at least it is if you are a gearhead or science nerd. All you need is glass jar, some tap water, a microwave (or stove/hot plate), thermometer (not from your medicine cabinet, a diagnostic thermometer or a cooking thermometer), and a thermostat.

Start by inspecting the thermostat. If the unit is open at room temperature, then it is bad, and you need a new one. Sometimes they get stuck open, this is usually due to the wax on the inside leaking and when it hardens, it pins the unit open. Once this happens, it is junk.

Fill a jar, pan, or bowl with tap water and heat it until it is at least twenty degrees above the open temperature of the thermostat. You can do this on a hot plate or stove with the thermostat in the water, but it is best if you heat the water by itself, and NEVER put the thermostat in the microwave.
Use a thermometer to check the temp of the water. It needs to be above the rated temp for the thermostat.

Carefully lower the thermostat into the water. Use the thermometer to monitor the temperature of the water. Watch the unit slowly open. The water needs to be at least 20 degrees hotter than the unit’s rated temp. If the unit does not open at all or does not fully open, it is bad.
You can see the thermostat is open at this point. Keep the thermometer in the jar to monitor the temp.

Continue to monitor the thermostat as the water cools. Once the water temp is exactly 20 degrees above the rated temp, the unit will begin to close as the temp falls. Note the temp when it starts to move and when it is fully closed. If it is closed with three degrees of the rated temp, the unit is good.

PS: I just used a shallow pot on the stove and watched the opening and closing range as the temp increased and then decreased.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-25-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Roly16
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AEK

In slow traffic, around town, at idle, driven hard, etc. the engine always sits at 210-220F, on the real water temperature gauge on the right.

When I bought the car, it was previously a track car, with Mobil 1 15W-50. I had an incident one 49-degree evening, where the engine went "too cold" and into the mode where all the fans went on (this is mentioned earlier in this thread), etc. I limped home, and ended up replacing the thermostat housing and thermostat (the old one looked OK) with the stock GM part, replaced the lost coolant, etc. Before and since then, on any day while cruising, the coolant temperature will ALWAYS drop enough to trigger the "yellow bars", if/when I am cruising in 6th or 7th gear. If I drop down to 4th (or sometime 5th), the yellow bar will go away after a short while. This is with outside temps in the 50-to-80-degree range, day or night, etc.

A few days ago and around 1500 miles into owning the car, I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 (Dexos 2, yadda yadda yadda). The problem seems even worse now -- as an example, from a fully warmed-up engine in town (210-220F on water, mid-gauge on oil temps) on a 39-degree night, I drove home at highway speeds for around 35 miles and light throttle in the upper gears, and by the time I got home, the water temp was had fallen to around 160F, and the yellow bar had rotated CCW almost to the 12 o'clock position (just a little bit to the right of "4" on the tacho).

So, I'm kinda at a loss to understand this. I really can't believe that this aluminum radiator is so insanely efficient that it just sucks the heat of this engine in this manner. Furthermore, I thought C7s have 180-190F T-stats, and so 160 is on the low side (but may be incorrect, I need to use that other dash mode).

What am I missing?
now that you mention the oil switch. I don’t remember seeing my temp drop until I switch to the new 0 - someting oil that corvette are now filled with.

Hmmm
Old 01-25-2019, 07:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

now that you mention the oil switch. I don’t remember seeing my temp drop until I switch to the new 0 - someting oil that corvette are now filled with.

Hmmm
Interesting observation BUT....expect the viscosity at 200 F operating temp is not much different from 5-30 or 0-40! It's at the extremes where the differences occur.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-25-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Car running too cool?