Sponsored by:

HRE3D+ | The WORLDS FIRST 3D-Printed Titanium Wheel

Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts
Default HRE3D+ | The WORLDS FIRST 3D-Printed Titanium Wheel

HRE WHEELS PARTNERS WITH GE ADDITIVE TO CREATE FIRST 3D-PRINTED TITANIUM WHEEL
HRE and GE Additive’s AddWorks team have used Electron Beam Melting (EBM) technology to create a new prototype wheel made from an advanced titanium powder, unveiling the first automotive wheel to be made with this process.

Vista, Calif. (November, 2018) – HRE Wheels and GE Additive announced a partnership agreement today and unveiled the first titanium wheel created using EBM technology (a type of 3D printing). Known as “HRE3D+”, this new prototype wheel shows what the future of wheel technology will bring and how advanced materials like titanium can be harnessed to create complex designs.

The goal of the “HRE3D+” project was to test the capabilities of additive manufacturing in a practical application and to create a highly-sophisticated wheel design with an elusive material like titanium. With a traditional aluminum Monoblok wheel, 80% of material is removed from a 100-pound forged block of
aluminum to create the final product. With additive manufacturing, only 5% of the material is removed and recycled, making the process far more efficient. Titanium also has a much higher specific strength than aluminum and is corrosion resistant, allowing it to be extremely lightweight and to be shown in its raw finish.

There was an intensive design collaboration between the Vista, California based team at HRE and the GE AddWorks team out of Ohio. Using design queues from two existing models of HRE wheels, the two companies worked together to create a stunning example of what is possible with additive manufacturing.

The wheel was produced on two Arcam EBM machines - Q20 and a Q10 in five separate sections,, then combined using a custom center section and titanium fasteners.

"This is an incredibly exciting and important project for us as we get a glimpse into what the future of wheel design holds,” said HRE President Alan Peltier. “Working with GE Additive’s AddWorks team gave us access to the latest additive technology and an amazing team of engineers, allowing us to push the boundaries of wheel design beyond anything possible with current methods. To HRE, this partnership with GE Additive moves us into the future.”

“HRE prides itself on its commitment to excellence and superior quality in the marketplace. It was a natural fit for AddWorks to work on this project with them and really revolutionize the way wheels can be designed and manufactured,” said Robert Hanet, senior design engineer, GE Additive AddWorks

EBM Printing: Electron Beam Melting is an additive technology that uses and electron beam to melt and fuse fine layers of titanium powder into a solid. These fine layers are built up one at a time to create the full design.

Titanium Powder Bed: The additive design is built up in a bed of fine titanium powder which results in very little wasted material, unlike traditional subtractive methods like machining from a solid forging.

Powder Recovery: The excess titanium powder is removed to reveal the final design and recycled for future parts.

Support Removal: Temporary internal support structures are printed along with the part to provide support to the structure and to facilitate extremely complex designs. These are removed by hand and recycled after printing.

Post Machining: Mating surfaces and threads were CNC machined post-printing to ensure tight tolerances of assembly. Compared to traditional machining from forgings, this post-processing is minimal.

Hand Finishing: The tops of the spokes were hand brushed to create a beautiful decorative finish. Because Titanium has excellent corrosion resistance, no additional powder-coat or clear-coat was necessary.

Cleaning: Due to the minimal machining and finishing, cleaning is a simple process simply to remove any oils or remaining powder.

Assembly: All the parts were hand-assembled into a carbon-fiber rim barrel using titanium fasteners.

The “HRE3D+” wheel will be on display from November 13-16 on GE Additive’s booth (D30) at the form next tradeshow in Frankfurt, Germany. For more information on HRE Wheels, visit https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/concepts/hre3d

About HRE Performance Wheels:
HRE designs, engineers and manufactures 3-piece and 1-piece forged aluminum alloy wheels for Racing, Performance & Luxury cars and SUVs in their San Diego, California-based, TÜV-approved facility. HRE’s built-to-order wheel sets offer a customized choice of offsets, widths and finishes, resulting in a uniquely personal style and performance solution for each customer’s application. HRE wheels are sold through select high-end car dealerships, specialty retailers and performance companies worldwide. For more information, visit www.hrewheels.com or call an HRE wheel expert at (760) 598-1960.

About GE Additive:
GE Additive – part of GE (NYSE: GE) is a world leader in additive design and manufacturing, a pioneering process that has the power and potential to transform businesses. Through our integrated offering of AddWorks additive experts, advanced machines and quality materials, we empower our customers to build innovative new products. Products that solve manufacturing challenges, improve business outcomes and help change the world for the better. GE Additive includes additive machine providers Concept Laser and Arcam EBM; along with additive material provider AP&C. EBM machines create dimensionally accurate parts quickly and efficiently by using a high-power electron beam for high melting capacity and productivity. The EBM process takes place in vacuum and at high temperature, resulting in stress-relieved components with material properties better than cast and comparable to wrought material.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh my!!! These are fantastic. I would love to have these on my C7 -- but I will bet that the price is equal to the value of my car!!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck keeping those clean!
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

They remind me of my old Gilbert Erector Set!
Old 11-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Wow!!! Impressive.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

I wouldn't want them on my car, but it's an impressive tour de force. Shows what is possible.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

The detail is stunning. I can't tell whether I like them or not. It draws attention away from the car.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

I wonder if I can get a set to test???
Old 11-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Certainly an interesting design exercise... but, nothing more as far as I can see.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Wow !!! Impressive.

+1.....
Old 11-13-2018, 09:18 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

This is incredibly impressive, but as a balding male I take offense to this video!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts

Beautiful, but its going to be hard keeping them clean!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Those wheels are totally amazing. Tho they don't belong on a peasant mobile like the C7. Im sure they are worth more than the car itself. haha

PS. If this offends any of the Corvette affictionatos I didn't mean it bad. Just in relation to high end stuff such as this on it.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default Kale Salad

An acquired taste.

Last edited by papillion; 11-14-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Nice! I would rock those on my car. While they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ now this technology is only advancing and pretty soon they will be more affordable just like everything else.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by pewter99
Nice! I would rock those on my car. While they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ now this technology is only advancing and pretty soon they will be more affordable just like everything else.
You will be able to print new wheels in your living room in 20 years.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

impressive but fugly and way to busy

Get notified of new replies

To HRE3D+ | The WORLDS FIRST 3D-Printed Titanium Wheel

Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

@HRE_Jurrian I've been following this on instagram, as I'm sure everyone else with any interest in this tech has been... Surely you guys weighed them. Any details you can share about the weight?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:21 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
This is incredibly impressive, but as a balding male I take offense to this video!
I can understand why, we have a lot of hair in this office. If it's any consolation the guy behind the camera has no hair on his head whatsoever

Originally Posted by Sellout
@HRE_Jurrian I've been following this on instagram, as I'm sure everyone else with any interest in this tech has been... Surely you guys weighed them. Any details you can share about the weight?
These aren't for sale. This is proof of concept to push the industry in a new direction. We're looking to innovate what the wheels in the next generation will be by pushing the boundaries of technology today. Sure it's a very lightweight wheel but this being a concept we weren't concentrating on making this as light as possible, rather the question was, "can we actually make this?" Yes you would imagine that weights are insanely low, that would be correct, but an actual production model would weigh less than this. A 21" wheel could weigh 13lbs.
The following users liked this post:
devnull (12-05-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Very impressive... congratulation.

Many are missing the point. I don't think those wheels will be on the website for sale. I believe it is demonstration of what the designer and the technology are capable of. The future is here...
The following users liked this post:
HRE_Jurrian (11-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HRE3D+ | The WORLDS FIRST 3D-Printed Titanium Wheel