Sponsored by:

GM suspension tune upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 03:16 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The problem with that is that it sets a VERY expensive precedent. If manufacturers give free product software updates retroactively every time a new software feature appears in a subsequent MY, why aren't they all free?

For example, why don't they offer me free Apple Car Play, and the new software menus in my 2014?

just because GM does this once, does not mean they have to or will on others. luckly we still live in a place where business can make choices.

Not to argue if it is free or not. just saying just because someone gives out free car washes one day does not give anyone legal right to a free car wash... its the business choice.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 PM
richnj01
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
just because GM does this once, does not mean they have to or will on others. luckly we still live in a place where business can make choices.

Not to argue if it is free or not. just saying just because someone gives out free car washes one day does not give anyone legal right to a free car wash... its the business choice.
Agree with both these points....the long and short of it is that GM did a bad job of rolling this out which is causing unnecessary confusion
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Well first, they haven't done it in this case either. The cases we're hearing about are dealer mistakes, and second, it creates ill-will to set up an inconsistent policy on updates that are product upgrades as opposed to those associated w/ resolving safety or technical issues.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:53 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

We could also argue the cars are becoming more software involved, and like other products.... say a Iphone that the software can be updated for a good while to help it along... and then at some point its not supported with the new software coming out because the hardware is moving on...

again not saying your wrong just playing devisl advocate.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Right, the automotive industry is clearly behind the IT world in this regard. I think we are reaching the tipping point in the auto industry where free software upgrades with new and improved features will become more and more common.

However, it is a bit of a slippery slope. We see people on this forum routinely trading in 1-2 year old models to get new features on the latest models, but then again the same is true w/ both Android and iPhones. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I believe Tesla now routinely updates customer cars via Wi-Fi while they're parked in the garage just as Apple and Microsoft have been doing for years. Of course, Tesla has never come close to being profitable, and shows no immediate signs of doing so.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM
mrclean1
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts

It's pretty scary that a GM regional service rep can't read. He clearly missed the part of the bulletin saying labor associated w/ downloading and installation of the calibration is free and that the download itself is charged to the dealer.

A lot of dealers are going to be pretty pissed when they don't get reimbursed for the $350, but it will only happen once at each dealer. If you want it free, make sure you ask the dealer if they've ever done one before. If the answer is NO, get there as quickly as you can, but then you also have to hope whomever you work with there can't read either.
I agree, but I explicitly said I was going to do it 350.00 charge or not, and the reason for my request was to try and clarify what is a very confusing issue. They know that I am the VP of a local Corvette Club that they sponsor, and also know that the info is going back to the Club. So all I really wanted was a clear understanding, if they did in fact make this decision in error, it is going to blow back on them and won't be pretty.

Based on the conversation I think I am the first to get the update through them, so I guess we'll see what the fallout is going to be
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

We could also argue the cars are becoming more software involved, and like other products.... say a Iphone that the software can be updated for a good while to help it along... and then at some point its not supported with the new software coming out because the hardware is moving on...

again not saying your wrong just playing devisl advocate.
Interesting perspective, I have worked in the IT industry for my entire adult life and I have to agree to a point.

The reason I have opted for a Mac for my personal computing needs over Win options (not opening that can of worms) is because Apple does support their products better. I paid a premium for my 2012 MacBook Air but it is still rock-solid and has the latest OS and runs everything seamlessly. Same holds true for most of their phones- Older models updated and supported without being nickeled and dimmed to death. Offer a solid product and stand behind it...

GM (along with other outfits) live and die by planned obsolescence to move more iron year to year. That's a key reason they have the negative perception, rightfully earned or not. The C7 is a tremendous step forward in fit, finish, performance and tech.

Time will tell if Corporate will take the opportunities they get with the C7 to be a leader in support to their customers and change the narrative a bit or be just another Chevy...

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 12-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Like I posted before, with my Challengers, new PCM/transmission/Uconnect updates were N/C at the dealer or self installed with a flash drive by downloading the updated file & uploading it into your car..
Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yep, FCA is way ahead of GM on making customer-installed updates available. I've done several myself on my Jeep, but they've all been security-related, not desirable new features.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
The 17's don't have it. The bulletin and tech sheet shows part number for 17 FE06 and FE02 ...

Interesting. I have a '17 Grand Sport with a suspension code of FE6. The sheet lists an update for the '17 Z06 without the Z07 option (also with the FE6 suspension code), but does not list anything for the '17 Grand Sport.

I thought the GS had a different suspension tuning than the Z06, even though they seem to have the same FE6 code. Now I'm wondering if an update for the FE6 Grand Sport is different than that of the FE6 Z06 and it's simply not listed or not ready yet.

Anybody have any idea what the real story is? I have a feeling that if I go to my local dealer for an answer they will be completely clueless about it. I bought my car from MacMulkin so perhaps they can can chime in here with some info since they seem to be dialed in pretty well with all things Corvette.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Interesting. I have a '17 Grand Sport with a suspension code of FE6. The sheet lists an update for the '17 Z06 without the Z07 option (also with the FE6 suspension code), but does not list anything for the '17 Grand Sport.

I thought the GS had a different suspension tuning than the Z06, even though they seem to have the same FE6 code. Now I'm wondering if an update for the FE6 Grand Sport is different than that of the FE6 Z06 and it's simply not listed or not ready yet.

Anybody have any idea what the real story is? I have a feeling that if I go to my local dealer for an answer they will be completely clueless about it. I bought my car from MacMulkin so perhaps they can can chime in here with some info since they seem to be dialed in pretty well with all things Corvette.
Go to your Dealer, give them your Vin Number and they can tell you
if it is applicable on your car...

My Dealer is charging ZERO Dollars, my appointment is Wednesday

Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 12-09-2017 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:26 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories

Chip
Chip, please let us know how things go, thoughts on if it makes a difference
Old 12-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Chip, please let us know how things go, thoughts on if it makes a difference
Will do,

Should have a pretty good feel for it -Going to drive it from
VA to FL Sat after it’s done...

Chip
Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Chip
0 dollars to install> we all get it..
BUT WHAT ABOUT:
0 dollars to acquire the download from GM Performance?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The calibration is not the same for the GS as the Z06. Both FE6, different Cal's. It was said the GS Cal would be available"later". I had a 17 GS before the 17 Z06. Even the marketing material says the GS gets a "unique" Cal.
Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

Last edited by CSevenGS; 12-09-2017 at 10:43 AM.
VETTE-NV (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:05 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Will do,

Should have a pretty good feel for it -Going to drive it from
VA to FL Sat after it’s done...

Chip
Where about in flA? I am in JAX right now
Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by YO-EL
0 dollars to install> we all get it..
BUT WHAT ABOUT:
0 dollars to acquire the download from GM Performance?
This will all be clarified soon, after each dealer does it for the first time, then learns they're not getting reimbursed for the $350 calibration cost. They're not reading the bulletin carefully enough to understand only the labor associated w/ download time and labor is reimbursed.

I think some are also mistakenly thinking this is a tech-bulletin, service-oriented upgrade, not an optional feature upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To GM suspension tune upgrade

Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

It's been clarified...it's right in the document. Look at pics I'm posting. It specifically states customer has to pay the 350 MSRP...it's even in Bold...

This will all be clarified soon, after each dealer does it for the first time, then learns they're not getting reimbursed for the $350 calibration cost. They're not reading the bulletin carefully enough to understand only the labor associated w/ download time and labor is reimbursed.

I think some are also mistakenly thinking this is a tech-bulletin, service-oriented upgrade, not an optional feature upgrade.
Foosh (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

Why are people saying cars have to sit for a long time after the update or not to track the car immediately after the update? I would think that once the computers are updated they should be good to go.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:25 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Why are people saying cars have to sit for a long time after the update or not to track the car immediately after the update? I would think that once the computers are updated they should be good to go.
AI - "The Singularity"

"Am I the ONLY one that GETS-IT"

THE ROBOTS ARE COMING!!!

Peace
Chip

Quick Reply: GM suspension tune upgrade