Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM suspension tune upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Mike, thanks for confirming my thoughts in post #510 and #513.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
the concern over a default setting in case of failure is the same as OE if there is a failure to the system all four corners are treated equally. We addressed that in 2008 when we developed the first Porsche controller.
as far as wear and tear to the damper it may be less stressful to the shock than original as the frequency is different and we run a dither to help change the current direction and or control where the original relies on a check valve to unload mechanically
I'm talking about a durability of your hardware, testing of your software (I'm betting you're not ASPICE certified or use ISO 26262 Functional Safety), and other "automotive grade" requirements.

I'm sure your part works, and I'm sure you've done your homework. But from a liability and insurance concern the risk to me is too large.

If this was a modification of a calibration for the existing SW you'd still have all the fail safes built into the stock code, and you'd have the durability testing of the stock module.

Right now, you don't have any of that, and since this is an underbody module which is exposed to the elements the risk is much higher than say, putting in an aftermarket radio.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Coloradotexan
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mrc

I had the update done last week. I haven't been on a track yet but I have a nice twisty mountain road on the way to work everyday. Tour mode is very different. The ride over rough road is much improved.
Car definitely settles quicker after uneven spot.The handling is hard to judge as it already does pretty good. I also have brand new tires.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:55 PM
aceleo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just had the update done on my C7 Z06.
Gotta say, there is a noticeable amount of difference.
Tour mode suspension is a LOT comfier. Track is a little bit more stiffer I think.
But definitely touring suspension got less stiff and more comfy.

Totally worth the $350!
Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'm talking about a durability of your hardware, testing of your software (I'm betting you're not ASPICE certified or use ISO 26262 Functional Safety), and other "automotive grade" requirements.

I'm sure your part works, and I'm sure you've done your homework. But from a liability and insurance concern the risk to me is too large.

If this was a modification of a calibration for the existing SW you'd still have all the fail safes built into the stock code, and you'd have the durability testing of the stock module.

Right now, you don't have any of that, and since this is an underbody module which is exposed to the elements the risk is much higher than say, putting in an aftermarket radio.
C'mon, Fredo. You really need to quit finding ways to bash this product.

You can quote all the durability tests you want. Based on all that great durability testing GM did on the overheating C7 Z06's, I doubt their product is any better (or even as durable, based on where it was probably built by the lowest bidder) as the DSC product. You've made your point, give it rest.

I will try the GM upgrade first if they ever get it released in the foreseeable future (17 GS), but if not, I'd have no issues going with the DSC....but if I can save $850 and get an acceptable, similar result, even better.

I'm about to drop several grand on some custom forged wheels. Oh no! Wait!!! HRE probably hasn't done all that great durability testing GM surely has done on their stock GS wheels....you know....the ones that bend like a Cirque du Soleil contortionist.

No doubt you have a quite bit of insider knowledge to share, but your arrogant attitude indicates you may have some other agenda, leaving your input worthless.

Just like Fredo.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-05-2018 at 05:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
rikhek (02-14-2018), spinkick (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:24 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
C'mon, Fredo. You really need to quit finding ways to bash this product.

You can quote all the durability tests you want. Based on all that great durability testing GM did on the overheating C7 Z06's, I doubt their product is any better (or even as durable, based on where it was probably built by the lowest bidder) as the DSC product. You've made your point, give it rest.

I will try the GM upgrade first if they ever get it released in the foreseeable future (17 GS), but if not, I'd have no issues going with the DSC....but if I can save $850 and get an acceptable, similar result, even better.

I'm about to drop several grand on some custom forged wheels. Oh no! Wait!!! HRE probably hasn't done all that great durability testing GM surely has done on their stock GS wheels....you know....the ones that bend like a Cirque du Soleil contortionist.

No doubt you have a quite bit of insider knowledge to share, but your arrogant attitude indicates you may have some other agenda, leaving your input worthless.

Just like Fredo.
Your trivialization of my comments through ridiculous hyperbole is unwarranted. Electronic and mechanical components are different regardless. So your comparison is invalid.

Further, I take a similar stance on wheels. However there are standards those vendors can follow (such as TUV verification). Some vendors like BBS do follow them.

Get over your dislike of me and have a meaningful conversation.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Your trivialization of my comments through ridiculous hyperbole is unwarranted. Electronic and mechanical components are different regardless. So your comparison is invalid.

Further, I take a similar stance on wheels. However there are standards those vendors can follow (such as TUV verification). Some vendors like BBS do follow them.

Get over your dislike of me and have a meaningful conversation.

I do not dislike you. I don’t even know you. You may be the coolest guy in the planet or a child molester. This is the Internet and I have no way of knowing that. However the character you have a created on this forum is a complete douche bag.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Quit the petty bickering and get back on topic.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
blkvet6 (02-08-2018), magredrod (02-06-2018), Steve Garrett (02-05-2018), Woodson (02-05-2018), wow (02-12-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Agreed. Take it outside.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
The worst thing that could happen, in my opinion, is they apply a regular service update rather than the specific upgrade that the bulletin mentions.

Updates are basically bug fixes.

Upgrades are new or significantly revised functionality.
This is why i asked the moderators to rename this thread but I guess they have not read my post #489 "SUPER ADMINS, I would like to suggest for the title of this thread to be renamed from "GM suspension tune update" to "GM suspension tune upgrade" Why I am suggesting that is because if you call a dealer and ask them for suspension update they look for any updates and see nothing because it is not an update. This is an upgrade."

Seems like even members are getting confused that they need this?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Woodson
Agreed. Take it outside.
Would if I could. But this post isn't warranted either.

We can't have it both ways. Either we allow bickering or we don't. This includes peanut gallery type comments. Including those from moderators.

Being obnoxious isn't a crime, neither is being right.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by smajicek
This is why i asked the moderators to rename this thread but I guess they have not read my post #489 "SUPER ADMINS, I would like to suggest for the title of this thread to be renamed from "GM suspension tune update" to "GM suspension tune upgrade" Why I am suggesting that is because if you call a dealer and ask them for suspension update they look for any updates and see nothing because it is not an update. This is an upgrade."

Seems like even members are getting confused that they need this?
I'd agree. GM only does Upgrades, not Updates. Well usually, I think the Android Auto Radio update was an exception to this.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I really want to do this update because I really can't feel or tell a difference between Touring and Sport modes.
Originally Posted by Woodson
Really? I hate touring and only use it with my wife in the car.

Brother, I'm the same way. I use Touring when my wife is in the car. Even though I don't feel the difference, hopefully she does!

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'm surprised by that. When I'm in sport it feels a lot stiffer. It also depends on how smooth your roads are.

Our roads here in Kansas City are OK....not great, not terrible. I think if my Sport mode felt a lot stiffer, I wouldn't do the update. When I first bought the car, I actually took my sales person out for a ride after a month to insure the modes were actually changing.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I really want to do this update because I really can't feel or tell a difference between Touring and Sport modes.
Do you still have the OEM tires or have you moved away from the run flats? As I recall you have some beautiful aftermarket wheels and I was wondering if you had change the tires. That might make the perception of a difference between tour and sport less obvious.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-05-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Would if I could. But this post isn't warranted either.

We can't have it both ways. Either we allow bickering or we don't. This includes peanut gallery type comments. Including those from moderators.

Being obnoxious isn't a crime, neither is being right.

Or you could choose to not be obnoxious. All good information is valued but if it comes with arrogance and condescension you lose credibility and find yourself deflecting a few snarky barbs. It doesn’t take any extra effort to be civil, but that may not be in your nature.

Either way, no hard feelings here. This is just a forum and getting good information is the key. Sometimes you just have to wade through the crap.

Getting back on track, does anyone know if the upgrade for the 2017 GS is now available?[/left]

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-06-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
INSTALLATION!!!!

The "PURCHASE" of the flash update costs $350...

See there is a difference....

One is the INSTALLATION or DOWNLOAD which the dealer charges back to GM, so its FREE for the LABOR FOR THEM TO INSTALL...

BUT the consumer has to PAY or BUY this performance update!

The dealer is basically installing a "part" you purchased...

"Free INSTALLATION with PURCHASE.."

Get it??

Think of it this way.. for your computer there is a new program that just came out, Windows 100, available only thru Microsoft dealers... Your dealer or computer guru will install it into your computer for FREE, BUT, YOU have to BUY the program from him!

SAME THING!
GM will re-imburse your dealer for his time to upload the flash update, but you need to BUY the program itself from him first!

So there is NO COST FOR DEALER INSTALLATION.
but there IS COST to "BUY" the program!
My dealer said that the cost to me is $500.HE SAID THAT THE COST TO INSTALL THE UPGRADE IS $150 + $350 from GM. Is this correct?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MDPD23
My dealer said that the cost to me is $500.HE SAID THAT THE COST TO INSTALL THE UPGRADE IS $150 + $350 from GM. Is this correct?
NO, that is not correct. The $350 includes the labor to install. The dealer will be given a special code to charge for the install. It should be in the instructions they download with the update/upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To GM suspension tune upgrade

Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Read all of the posts. No its not correct.

The $350 includes the update and installation labor.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 AM
MIKESZ51C
3rd Gear

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

had mine done last friday...z06...definite improvement in the ride in tour and sport modes..can not tell much difference in track mode on street..also for those in the savannah ga. hilton head area..had it done at the cadillac gmc dealer in bluffton sc..they service several corvettes in the area..mine was their 3rd update..350.00 out the door...
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (02-08-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
Read all of the posts. No its not correct.

The $350 includes the update and installation labor.
or even a couple of them. Jesus.

Quick Reply: GM suspension tune upgrade