Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather shrinking on 3LT dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you use any kind of cleaning or conditioning products on the leather?
Old 11-05-2017, 03:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
This is one of the reasons I didn't get the 3LT package.
I know I would skip any suede purchase in the car next time. I wonder if the 1 lt dash holds up better? My cars sit inside.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:53 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I know I would skip any suede purchase in the car next time. I wonder if the 1 lt dash holds up better? My cars sit inside.
3LT is leather, not suede. I would guess in this instance the 1LT would be less prone to this issue, but who knows.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

just picked up 2014 premium edition and have the same issue. plus there are a couple of spots where the leather has bubbled. the original owner always garaged it and i garage the car. just paid $2400 for an extended warranty. guess i need to take a trip to the dealer. hope it’s covered.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 PM
LBS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Did you use any kind of cleaning or conditioning products on the leather?
Only cleaned with micro fiber towel and a detail spray. Most everyone on here said no leather conditioner because it was treated leather. I bet the 1 or 2lt would not do this because the man made material probably won't shrink.

Anyone have an e-mail address for Chevy customer service?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorse
just picked up 2014 premium edition and have the same issue. plus there are a couple of spots where the leather has bubbled. the original owner always garaged it and i garage the car. just paid $2400 for an extended warranty. guess i need to take a trip to the dealer. hope it’s covered.
I hope so, too. GM's language in the Exclusions section is vague. Please let us know what the dealer says!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

OP, I do not have a 3LT interior, but why is the material that is coming up any different than the material used in the 1LT and 2LT. It appears the material coming up is not associated with the 3LT leather on the dash.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
LBS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
OP, I do not have a 3LT interior, but why is the material that is coming up any different than the material used in the 1LT and 2LT. It appears the material coming up is not associated with the 3LT leather on the dash.
I never looked at a 1 or 2lt. The interior repair shop I took it to said it was leather and it had shrunk. I don't know for sure but it sure looks like it did shrink and pull out
Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 PM
TorchZ51
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 14 with 3LT, always used Lexol on the interior leather. No issues with the dash, and the interior looks like new with 13k miles. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another C7 with the 3LT package. Something to consider.....

GM made 55,412 Vettes with the 3LT option from 14-17. Even if there are 500 people out there with this issue, that would represents less than 1%. Not really a widespread issue from a manufacturing standpoint.

Again I’m not sure how many C7s are out there with this issue. Just some food for though.

Last edited by TorchZ51; 11-05-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Red_
Cruising

Go up the ladder & you'll get it fixed
Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by LBS
Only cleaned with micro fiber towel and a detail spray. Most everyone on here said no leather conditioner because it was treated leather. I bet the 1 or 2lt would not do this because the man made material probably won't shrink.

Anyone have an e-mail address for Chevy customer service?
No but a simple google turned up this: https://www.gm.com/site-help/contact-us/email-us.html. And I think you're wasting your time by not starting from top down with the mary email (not that she will read it).

Also, if you haven't tried more than one dealer, I think that's a mistake, too.

And finally, Virtual sez to get the part, I wouldn't. Not sure what upholstery shop you went to but try again and this time a couple different shops. Look for standard convertible top/upholstery shop and then also a hot rod custom upholstery shop. I know you can find one if you google the words street rod or hot rod. Or Corvette club in your area. Or NCRS.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Red C8 of Jax (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

One other thought I have for you. Maybe this will help? Call Jaguar, BMW, and some other real high end car dealers in your area and ask the used car manager who they use for their mobile leather repair. They usually have a local guy that comes in periodically and fixes the rips, tears, and wear patches on their used cars they get in trade so they look perfect and can flip them. I have seen some of these mobile guys on car TV shows and they can do amazing things on the cheap.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-06-2017 at 07:43 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Flame Red:
DWS44 (11-06-2017), Foosh (11-06-2017), Red C8 of Jax (11-06-2017), The Rabbi (07-14-2019), Vetteram (07-26-2018)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
It just amazes me all the different problems people have with this car.
Have you spent much time on any other car forum for any other make? The number and wide variety of complaints you hear on all car forums happen with essentially the same frequency.

It's the essence of car forums.

I agree with others and would pursue an upholstery shop repair over a dash replacement. I was talking to a master Corvette tech a few weeks ago, who was currently involved in replacing one, and described it as a nightmare.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Spyderdale (06-29-2020)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:24 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The 3 LT leather dash on my 2014 Corvette is also pulling up from the glue holding it down on the dash of my car too...I noticed this back in August when I got my car out to detail it and go to a car show. I started researching this problem on the forum and discovered this issue has been talked about previously. Anyways, shortly after I discovered the problem, Hurricane Harvey hit...I happened to be in Houston at the time and ended up stranded there when all the roads home were underwater. My parents home flooded, they lost their only car and had to be rescued in a canoe. Thus, I had to evacuate (with them) to the Austin area since we couldn’t travel back to my home. I have now been living up here since August. Mom is in a rehab facility, as she has fallen numerous times since their home flooded. I am staying in dads fema hotel and chauffeuring him around the area.

I don’t know if it will do any good but I wrote GM today about the problem with the dash on my 2014 Corvette 3LT. They emailed me back asking for additional information, which I sent back to them today.

I am hoping they will fix the leather coming up on my cars dash but I don’t know what GM will do, if anything, about this matter. The 3 years/36000 mile warranty ran out on my car back in Janauary. The warranty was out on years not mileage, as I currently only have 9600 miles on my car. I am hoping it will be repaired by GM but I don’t know what their final word will be on this matter.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 PM
tadehz51
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LBS
Anyone have a e-mail for customer service. I'd like to give them a message before I move up the chain.
I know it's out of warranty but this is not the type of problem that I would have bought an extended warranty for. Car only has 29000 miles on it.

Max that's for the part only!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i did buy the extended warranty for this same reason. guess what! they don't cover trim items because they're considered wear and tear. what a joke for a bumper to bumper warranty i payed 4K for
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 PM
tadehz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by AttyVette
The 3 LT leather dash on my 2014 Corvette is also pulling up from the glue holding it down on the dash of my car too...I noticed this back in August when I got my car out to detail it and go to a car show. I started researching this problem on the forum and discovered this issue has been talked about previously. Anyways, shortly after I discovered the problem, Hurricane Harvey hit...I happened to be in Houston at the time and ended up stranded there when all the roads home were underwater. My parents home flooded, they lost their only car and had to be rescued in a canoe. Thus, I had to evacuate (with them) to the Austin area since we couldn’t travel back to my home. I have now been living up here since August. Mom is in a rehab facility, as she has fallen numerous times since their home flooded. I am staying in dads fema hotel and chauffeuring him around the area.

I don’t know if it will do any good but I wrote GM today about the problem with the dash on my 2014 Corvette 3LT. They emailed me back asking for additional information, which I sent back to them today.

I am hoping they will fix the leather coming up on my cars dash but I don’t know what GM will do, if anything, about this matter. The 3 years/36000 mile warranty ran out on my car back in Janauary. The warranty was out on years not mileage, as I currently only have 9600 miles on my car. I am hoping it will be repaired by GM but I don’t know what their final word will be on this matter.
im in the same situation. what did GM do? I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Last edited by tadehz51; 03-16-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

This happened on my '14 3LT with Brownstone. Happened just before warranty expired fortunately. They replaced the whole unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather shrinking on 3LT dash

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by LBS
Anyone have a e-mail for customer service. I'd like to give them a message before I move up the chain.
I know it's out of warranty but this is not the type of problem that I would have bought an extended warranty for. Car only has 29000 miles on it.

Max that's for the part only!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look in your little warranty booklet, there are numbers to call but since it is out of warranty they may not play but finding a good dealer service manager who can run it through somehow might be your best bet. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by LBS
I know it's out of warranty but this is not the type of problem that I would have bought an extended warranty for.
Bet dollars to donuts an EW, top tier or not, would cover defective interior piece(s) anyway.

As GJ said perfectly, welcome to the world of GM using proven bad engineering over & over again.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM
tadehz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by tadehz51
i did buy the extended warranty for this same reason. guess what! they don't cover trim items because they're considered wear and tear. what a joke for a bumper to bumper warranty i payed 4K for
i bought that too lol a week later I called for the dash and they told me the same thing. I cancelled the warranty right there on the phone
Texan1Z06 (12-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Leather shrinking on 3LT dash