Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

What we really need is for GM to offer ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) in the Corvette like demonstrated below. After market solution? Didn’t investigate because with my bad hearing tire road noise is not an issue in my ‘14 Base C7 and probably not cheap.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by roller11
Just got a 2016 Z06 with 3000 miles, completely stock with OEM run flat tires. The road noise is unbearable, so much so my 10 speaker Bose is drowned out unless I'm driving 30 MPH on a smooth concrete road surface. I've tried the 'Blockit" product, it was totally ineffective, no help at all. As much as I love this car, I''ll need to sell it If I can't solve this problem. Anyone have a fix for 'tire roar' on a C7 Z06?
On my 2017 Stingray coupe I improved highway tire noise a lot by installing Hushmat on the bulkhead behind the seats (you just pull up the carpet from the bottom and then tuck it back in when you're done) plus using a Weathertech mat over the rear carpet. You might try this before going to more extreme solutions, but I don't know if the Z06 noise is worse than on the base car.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

It's real simple: large tires + no sound insulation = noise.

Same issue with my 911.

There are plenty of options for adding sound insulation. None of the good ones will be easy or cheap. I took out the rear hatch interior and put in two layers of stuff to remediate the noise in my C6. Unfortunately, I did not do a before and after DB level test. It was better, but really not worth all of the trouble and expense. I have one of those drop-in mats in the back of the C7. One of these days I need to do a test to see if it really makes a difference. If any, it's negligible, as far as I can tell.

When I bought new tires for my SS, I *did* do a before and after, and road noise did drop about 2db, which is significant. Remember, db is logarithmic.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (03-14-2018)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 AM
g_man_007
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my C5, changing over to non-run flats made a huge difference, not only in road noise but handling, over any unsmooth surfaces in particular. Clearly an expensive proposal, and run the risk of punctures, so getting a repair kit is advisable.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I traded in my 2014 Z51 vert for a 2018 GS vert and found that the road noise is louder, especially with the top down. IMO, the additional road noise is caused by the extra wide tires. I am not sorry I made the switch to the GS, the wide body look and improved performance is definitely worth the additional noise to me and part of the Vette experience.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2017 GS coupe is noticeably quieter than mu 2012 GS coupe I traded in. I added a block it mat in the rear and behind the seats and then put a Lloyd's deluxe mat over it and put the carpet in the foot wells of the car. The car is quieter now than before.

Last edited by Travelor; 11-07-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:10 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

With my C6 Z51 and C7 Z51 I installed sound dampening materials in the back coupe area and behind the seats on the waterfall. It only cost a couple hundred dollars and took a couple days but the end result is a much quieter ride. I do not do the back wall on purpose to allow the exhaust to be heard. On the plus side the CCF sound deadening can also be used to eliminate rattles and squeaks.

We just got a Z06 this past weekend and I already put an order in for sound deadening materials. The Z06 is a lot louder with the wider tires so it definitely will benefit from sound dampening.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

This was the main reason I decided to order the convertible over the coupe.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

A couple of ideas/thoughts:
* Please check out this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...surements.html. We now have a GS, and I installed the same kit in the GS. My wife and I just completed a 3K mile road trip in the GS and had no issues at all - same results as the Z51.
* On worn concrete roads, the noise on any car is really loud. On our road trip there were stretches of freeway around Seattle, Portland, and other areas with worn concrete and we were sure happy when the asphalt sections were back. Worn concrete is the worst, and no car is quiet on those roads. If you don't believe it: when you get on one of these worn concrete roads try driving in the lane that is less traveled or 'out of the grove' a bit and hear the difference.
* There is no short-cut to making the C7, or any car for the matter, more quiet. It takes a combination of solid products and some work to do it right. But it can be done. That's why I did before/after measurements that were as controlled as possible. That kit works.
* It's a sports car, with huge tires. Non-runflats will surely help, but I didn't want to go that way. I got very acceptable results with the kit and the work.

Best of luck!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 391 Likes on 195 Posts

Years ago, about 10 or so, I installed a complete partition in my 2007 Z06. The vendor was here on the Corvette forum. It went from top to bottom and from side to side, in the cargo compartment, just behind the rear seats and to the top of the glass on the hatch.

It's completely sealed off the cargo area and made the cabin very very quiet.

It was carpeted and made out of particle board.

Surely, I for one, would purchase this, although at the time, the black carpet used did not exactly match the carpeting in the car, but was close.

It used velcro on the bottom and it had a nice tight fit on the top. Probably wouldn't take much for someone to use cardboard for a mock-up to get the fit right and then cut a piece of particle board and perhaps put a rubber edge around it so that it would fit tight and not chafe any of the interior parts. I believe it was priced at $175 or so.

The Block it 3 piece mats that I now have, which I initially thought held down the noise, seem not to be as quiet now.

I'm no expert but I believe the noise stems from the wheel well area and reverberates off the glass so a partition between the cockpit and the rear hatch area would be more beneficial than just throwing some sound deadening material down over the rear floor area.

Last edited by VNAMVET; 11-06-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Years ago, about 10 or so, I installed a complete partition in my 2007 Z06. The vendor was here on the Corvette forum. It went from top to bottom and from side to side, in the cargo compartment, just behind the rear seats and to the top of the glass on the hatch.

It's completely sealed off the cargo area and made the cabin very very quiet.

Surely, I for one, would purchase this, although at the time, the black carpet used did not exactly match the carpeting in the car, but was close.

It used velcro on the bottom and it had a nice tight fit on the top. Probably wouldn't take much for someone to use cardboard for a mock-up to get the fit right and then cut a piece of particle board and perhaps put a rubber edge around it so that it would fit tight and not chafe any of the interior parts. I believe it was priced at $175 or so.

The Block it 3 piece mats that I now have, which I initially thought held down the noise, seem not to be as quiet now.

I'm no expert but I believe the noise stems from the wheel well area and reverberates off the glass so a partition between the cockpit and the rear hatch area would be more beneficial than just throwing some sound deadening material down over the rear floor area.
I wonder if anyone has experience with a Windrestrictor in the C7 coupe. It seems primarily designed to cut turbulence with the top off, but fills about 2/3 of the opening between cabin and the area under the hatch and thus might cut noise.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by roller11
Just got a 2016 Z06 with 3000 miles, completely stock with OEM run flat tires. The road noise is unbearable, so much so my 10 speaker Bose is drowned out unless I'm driving 30 MPH on a smooth concrete road surface. I've tried the 'Blockit" product, it was totally ineffective, no help at all. As much as I love this car, I''ll need to sell it If I can't solve this problem. Anyone have a fix for 'tire roar' on a C7 Z06?
This has been an issue since I got my September 2013 Z51. Coupe are worse than Verts, as folks report. My 2014 was worse than my C6 Z51 and my Grand Sport with wider tires still worse.

However I find the added sub woofer compared to my C6, really helps. I set sound system with high bass and rear bias. My sound system starts automatically when I start the car. It plays the >1000 songs in shuffle mode I have on a flush thumb drive. I seldom have anyone in the car and do not turn on my cell phone when driving the Vette.

Janis Joplin singing “Cry Baby’” etc mitigates the noise! Bought the Vette for performance and with the sound system playing can ignore the noise.

Have seen posts where various sound absorbing materials were added but must cover the aluminum behind the seats and under the rear plastic rear wheel well covers. Some data shows a moderate but not great noise reduction.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:58 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinny
Try replacing the tires with non-runflats. This made a big difference for me.
Amen!! Soon as I replaced the OME run craps it was like a totally different C7..
Old 11-06-2017, 06:13 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I have the convertible and it's not bad, really. It comes with extra sound insulation, which is available aftermarket, which I recommend.

I'm by no means an expert in the field, but you want sound INSULATION. Your problem is tire roar, not reverberation of body panels, where you'd want deadening. Insulation is by its nature thick, not like boommat or similar. I mean a layer of that can't hurt but I don't think it solves it on its own.

Take a look at this, which is called deadening but it includes multilayer insulation:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx

Unless you meant BLOCKIT when you said BLOCKOUT, then you've already tried it and I'd like to hear more about the results! I've never heard from anyone before/after.
Sorry the vert does not come with extra insulation. But it is quieter. It comes from a partition behind the seats and the fabric convertible top. The area behind the seats in coupes serves as a sound enhancer.
VNAMVET (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
I installed a complete partition in my 2007 Z06. ... It's completely sealed off the cargo area and made the cabin very very quiet.

I'm guessing that you couldn't see behind you.

I'm wondering how weird it would look to make one like that, but with a window in it. Maybe double-pane polycarbonate.

I had a half partition in my C5 Z07, and it worked great except that it would get loose under hard braking (think track). I seem to recall that it did knock down some of the sound.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have found that if I run the recommended tire pressure (35 lbs for my base car) the road noise, and of course the ride is worse. I dropped it back to 32 lbs, and it was much better. Just a thought that could help you some. I've owned a lot of Vettes, and yep they do have road noise. Some are worse than others. I hope you get yours acceptable so you can enjoy.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 391 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I'm guessing that you couldn't see behind you.
......correct. It rendered the RV mirror useless.
The side mirrors were used 100% as would a driver of a semi truck.

You've raised a good question. What would be nice is if one could utilize the rear camera to be on constantly, allowing you to see what's behind you.
EcoBrick Bob (12-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Road noise

Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
This was the main reason I decided to order the convertible over the coupe.
It just was a bonus to me, but a welcome one. My C6Z was pretty noisy by comparison. This is a much more livable road trip car.

Our main roads are, however, by and large asphalt. If you're on concrete, it's going to be louder.

Sorry the vert does not come with extra insulation.
I've read several times that it DOES have extra insulation. I don't know the truth, but would like to. But this is just kind of tossed into the thread with no support...

Last edited by davepl; 11-07-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2016 1LT is loud on the highway and it makes the drive at 75mph less enjoyable than in my wife's ATS. It is hard to hear when having the radio on. I blame the runflats and the large hatch area.
I'll probably get a Lloyd's mat since I haven't done that yet but I have a JL stealthbox which makes it difficult. The JL stealthbox is also a disappointment as the sound quality is subpar so it might come out.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
My 2016 1LT is loud on the highway and it makes the drive at 75mph less enjoyable than in my wife's ATS. It is hard to hear when having the radio on. I blame the runflats and the large hatch area.
I'll probably get a Lloyd's mat since I haven't done that yet but I have a JL stealthbox which makes it difficult. The JL stealthbox is also a disappointment as the sound quality is subpar so it might come out.
FWIW have seen folks post the things they have tried. Frankly just covering the rear hatch area, which is plastic composite have not provided much help.

The best covered the aluminum panel behind the seats, the rear hatch floor, remove the plastic wheel well covers and cover that inside area with quality sound deadening materials.

Believe there are kits but costly, it takes time and some skill.

Even the best say it's not great!

Jusy Say'n!

Quick Reply: Road noise