Sponsored by:

C7 Stingray winter storage battery tender question

Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 PM
DoCho
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Stingray winter storage battery tender question

Hi,
pardon me if this is a stupid question but I'm storing the Vette for the winter and am a little confused about the battery tender. The car will be stored under and open shelter with car cover so I CAN NOT leave the back hatch slightly open using the cigarette lighter option. In the past with other vehicles even with ones with battery in the trunk, I've been able to use a standard battery tender using the charging posts under the hood..... is this still possible and is there some room to drop the cord through some open space around the engine compartment? I like the rear cigarette lighter option but not if I have to leave the hatch slightly open outdoors. Plus a regular battery tender inside engine compartment will keep it safe from theft.....
any thoughts and advice would be helpful. Haven't bought a new battery tender yet either so recommendations would be appreciated.
THANKS in advance.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I'd put the charger inside the trunk of the car and just run a slim extension cord inside. The trunk will close without a problem. Open shelter in BC, man oh man, calling that tough. Best.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 PM
DoCho
6th Gear

Default Rear hatch option.

I've heard that it won't damage the seal if I do that.... it's a good option. And yes it's a car shelter just open on the front... but in Vancouver, it rarely snows and if it does, it's gone next day. I'd still like to hear more about the under hood option using the charging posts....
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Okay but with both the battery and the hot plug in the back, very simple. I keep the charger on mine every time I park it. Assuming you'll park face in, if the sun hits the back, you might get by with a solar charge which plugs in to hot socket. To keep a basic charge, you might get by with that. I bought one on amazon 40us.

Last edited by vbdenny; 11-06-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Forgot about the cover
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 PM
DoCho
6th Gear

I back in and it won't be moved for 4 months. Just not 100% convinced of sealing the hatch with a chord hanging out. But... what brand of charger do you recommend for that hatch option... I've heard the CTEK 3300 is ok, then there's the original GM brand... under hood I've always used the original Battery Tender Plus, but I've heard the junior option will just do fine also.... not sure if the AGM battery makes a difference on the charger.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

You can close the hatch without any concern about damage to the CTEK cord or weather-stripping. I've done it for years, and you can still move the cord in and out with the hatch closed, which is a good indication it's not causing any harm.

The CTEK 3300 is what GM sells as the "Battery Protection Package." However, I'd purchase the CTEK 4.3 MUS, which is a better maintainer for less than GM charges for the 3300. It has the same gauge power supply cord, but you'll need the 12v adapter, which is still cheaper as a package than GM charges. Or, you can wire it directly to the battery, and leave the plug-in hanging out of the battery compartment cover.

A Battery Tender Plus will also work equally well, with the same gauge cord, and you can purchase a plug-in adapter for the rear port. AGM or standard battery makes no difference on a low amp maintainer like the CTEKs or BTs.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:04 AM
DoCho
6th Gear

Thanks Foosh, didn't realize that the GM was the same CTEK 3300.... and I'm sure the cable would be fine as its though rubber.... I'm more concerned about the hatch seal and weather it will bounce back out let in water later. Also, can I safely leave the charger inside the hatch of a locked car? And just have the power cord sticking out?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

No, I wouldn't worry about it. Lubricate the weather-stripping w/ Aerospace 303 before you put it to bed and forget about it.

It's most likely not a problem to leave the maintainer inside the car, but I'd prefer not to do that. Supposedly, they fail safe without fire danger, but one never knows. I'd rather leave it under the car, and cover with a plastic bucket or something.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-07-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,232 Posts

I have plugged in my battery tender and completely close the hatch for two years now. No damage or deformation of either the hatch seal or the tender cord.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-07-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 AM
DoCho
6th Gear

Thanks guys...i think I'll do that... didn't realize CTEK 3300 and others were so pricy. The original Deltran Battery Tenders are way more inexpensive. I'll call GM tomorrow and see what those are worth.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

You can always remove your battery and bring it inside.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 AM
DoCho
6th Gear

I appreciate the input c54u, but that defeats the purpose; of having the vehicle alarmed outside and having to reset all the memory settings afterwards.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:25 PM
blackc7z51
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe this helps
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by DoCho
Thanks guys...i think I'll do that... didn't realize CTEK 3300 and others were so pricy. The original Deltran Battery Tenders are way more inexpensive. I'll call GM tomorrow and see what those are worth.
Just checked amazon. A CTEK 4.3 costs $63. A 3300 costs $56.00 A Deltran 1.25amp costs $50. Same ballpark if you ask me, plus the 4.3 does a whole lot more. Take a good look at the features of both.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Mine sits on a lift all winter. It's a '14 so I run the maintainer dc cords up to the under hood connections behind the front wheel well up through the right side to the terminals, one behind the fuse block and the ground on the right front frame. Works just fine.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

This works well:

Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by blackc7z51
Maybe this helps
that is what I do. Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Stingray winter storage battery tender question

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 PM
ProudZowner
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I have plugged in my battery tender and completely close the hatch for two years now. No damage or deformation of either the hatch seal or the tender cord.
Now that's a LONG winter!!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Bob_Ash
4th Gear

Default C7 Stingray winter storage battery tender not working

In late November, I stored my 2016 C7 Stingray, and connected the Corvette Battery Tender to the car. I inserted the plug into receptacle in hatch area, plugged in battery tender, closed hatch and left it plugged in. Today, about 8 weeks since I left it, the outside temp got over 40 F, so I took it out for a drive. I disconnected the battery tender, and when I started the car it barely turned over before catching. I drove about 10 miles until the coolant and oil temperatures were in the normal range. I stopped for a few minutes, and when I started it, there was very little juice in the battery, but it did start and run fine. I got home after driving another 10 miles or so, and when I got it into the garage, I turned it off and re-started it and it turned over easily. That seems like the classic definition of a battery that was NOT on a tender, and needed a drive to recharge the battery.

When I plugged in the tender to the outlet in the hatch, then plugged in the tender to 110V, I noticed that only the green "on" LED was lit. I circled the only active LED in the photo. None of the 3 LEDs on the upper row light up. So, either I have a defective tender, or the hatch receptacle isn't connected to the battery. Any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

Hi,
pardon me if this is a stupid question

is this still possible and is there some room to drop the cord through some open space around the engine compartment? I like the rear cigarette lighter option but not if I have to leave the hatch slightly open outdoors. Plus a regular battery tender inside engine compartment will keep it safe from theft.....
any thoughts and advice would be helpful. Haven't bought a new battery tender yet either so recommendations would be appreciated.
THANKS in advance.
Yes there is! Not stupid question. Don't have to follow the crowd!
You can use your battery charger on the posts mentioned below and save money.
Originally Posted by dbdave
Mine sits on a lift all winter. It's a '14 so I run the maintainer dc cords up to the under hood connections behind the front wheel well up through the right side to the terminals, one behind the fuse block and the ground on the right front frame. Works just fine.
Picture is worth a 1000 words so here it is! Direct answer to the OPs question!

For long term storage this works fine. Carefully remove the plastic cover and expose the threaded rod holding the power to the front fuse panel. DON'T remove the nut, add another with a ring terminal below. If using an alligator clip BE SURE it does not touch a grounded member. Ground clip can go on any grounded bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Stingray winter storage battery tender question