C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people regularly use V4/Eco mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Have never used Eco but do have V4 activated and watch it transition back and forth to V8 on the dash. I’m amazed how seamlessly it works and generally get about 26 mpg combined with one long drive (103 Miles) from Chester County Pa to Lewes, De averaging 32-34mpg on flat hwy crusing about 69mph.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
If I cared about pissing away money I would not have spent $60K+ on a car that heavily depreciates. I would have bought a cheap Toyota instead. So I could care less about 1 to 2 MPG.
I suppose that you don't bother with using the overdrive gears either then?
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Never tried it and never will, my Vette is for enjoyment and that does not translate into mpg.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WMark
I get a kick out of all the MACHO responses! NEVER! It's A Corvette! It's A Sports Car!!

I call BS!! You macho men don't drive a Corvette as it was designed, or haven't driven one further than the local macho man gathering at a club or car show.

Five Corvettes. Ron Fellows graduate, and previously Skip Barber. Driven the Coronado Trail (look it up) a dozen times, at illegal speeds.

AZ to Chicago, as much of Rt 66 I can find, a dozen times.

If I'm cruising I-40, at 80 MPH, I move it to ECO. What the hell do I have to prove, on an interstate, at the level? Nothing! So why not try to save a potty stop or two?? It is a nice feature. I still have the performance when I need it, and might save enough to buy a stale hot dog at the next rest stop.

Again, you Macho Men slay me! You are also likely the same people who claim you don't listen to music, just your exhaust.

Still love you!!

Exactly my point. Save the fuel for when you really want to romp on it. You don't need all 8 cylinders firing, if you're just idling down the interstate...but I guess if it makes one feel more badass, then so be it

Originally Posted by dvilin
Never tried it and never will, my Vette is for enjoyment and that does not translate into mpg.
Do you also boycott the overdrive gears? I mean their only real purpose is for added fuel mileage, so why use them?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-08-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

In a 2 week period, I went through a test period to see how much MPG I could save in my commute, and I used it every opportunity I had. It ended up saving me 2 mpg overall (moved me from average of 19 MPG, to 21 MPG).

I found myself starting to get really annoyed at the sensation of moving from V8 to V4 - the lurch wasn't big, but was definitely detectable. Didn't bother me at first, but at the end of the 2 weeks, I decided ECO mode wasn't for me, and wasn't worth the 2 MPG (under ideal circumstances), so I haven't used it since.

I do toggle between T, S, and TR quite a bit! And getting ready in our California winter, to start using Weather often as well.

Last edited by harmonyp; 11-08-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
Do you also boycott the overdrive gears? I mean their only real purpose is for added fuel mileage, so why use them?
Yes indeed I "boycott" the overdrive gears.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I get a kick out of all the MACHO responses! NEVER! It's A Corvette! It's A Sports Car!!

I call BS!! You macho men don't drive a Corvette as it was designed, or haven't driven one further than the local macho man gathering at a club or car show.

Five Corvettes. Ron Fellows graduate, and previously Skip Barber. Driven the Coronado Trail (look it up) a dozen times, at illegal speeds.

If I'm cruising I-40, at 80 MPH, I move it to ECO. What the hell do I have to prove, on an interstate, at the level? Nothing! So why not try to save a potty stop or two?? It is a nice feature. I still have the performance when I need it, and might save enough to buy a stale hot dog at the next rest stop.

Again, you Macho Men slay me! You are also likely the same people who claim you don't listen to music, just your exhaust.

Still love you!!

That a boy. Get it all out. Feel better now.
The following 4 users liked this post by Glenmcp:
dvilin (11-08-2017), ExRedRacer (11-08-2017), Kevin A Jones (11-08-2017), Rebel Yell (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Using V4 mode means you are also placing a bet that THIS time they got it right because there have been oil consumption issues with this system since it first appeared under the DoD (Displacement on Demand) name in 2005. The name was changed to AFM (Active Fuel Management) in 2008 but still using the same basic approach of disabling the intake and exhaust valves of some of the cylinders when the engine is lightly loaded in order to cut pumping losses.

Service bulletins were still being issued for several 2014 model year engines for excessive oil consumption at what GM called "higher mileage", 30K-40K miles

See for example: https://gm.oemdtc.com/683/engine-oil...et-gmc-pontiac
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock
Do you have any test results for ethanol vs non ethanol gas?
I haven't done the exact same road with ethanol gas and I don't run it very often so it's hard to tell exactly how much difference there is but general consensus is that ethanol hurts MPG by about 3-5% I believe.

Last edited by Patman; 11-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

No. M7 Z06 that I typically put about 6000 miles a year on. Financially a 10% gas saving wouldn’t even be a rounding error in my annual budget.

The main reason I’ve never put the car into ECO mode have been the reported engine failures. While the reported incident is miniscule and I have an extended GM warranty why go there if I don’t have to? Some reporting has indicated increased oil consumption in higher mileage examples..again why should I even play the odds here?

Thankfully GM has given us options to just say NO to ECO. No hate for those that use it, just not for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
No. M7 Z06 that I typically put about 6000 miles a year on. Financially a 10% gas saving wouldn’t even be a rounding error in my annual budget.

The main reason I’ve never put the car into ECO mode have been the reported engine failures. While the reported incident is miniscule and I have an extended GM warranty why go there if I don’t have to? Some reporting has indicated increased oil consumption in higher mileage examples..again why should I even play the odds here?

Thankfully GM has given us options to just say NO to ECO. No hate for those that use it, just not for me.
I am just glad I have the manual transmission so I have a choice...

The start/stop technology that CANNOT be turned off on our 2017 Malibu is even more annoying. I have heard that GM engineers' response was that if a customer is looking for a way to turn it off, then we have not designed it right. Neither one is flawless for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (12-15-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvilin
Yes indeed I "boycott" the overdrive gears.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,701 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Still love you!!

Coming from the MACHO MAN himself

Actually my comments had nothing to do with being Macho it's simply that I didn't purchase my Corvettes to drive on 4 cylinders and/or to save on fuel, I purchased them because I love Corvettes.

Again as I've stated before, I don't understand why it bothers some so much how little others drive their Corvettes.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I only use Eco in my A8 car when on a road trip. It's quite amazing the mpg's on a sports car with all that power, and torque while running between 70-80 mph. When people ask about the mpg's I tell them it's the fastest of the 5 cars I own, and get's the best gas mileage. You get some unique looks from folks when you tell them that.

BTW, drove the approx. 200 miles from Concord, NC to Myrtle Beach SC last week in "T" mode. The cars little mpg thingy showed 32.9 mpg's, and I ain't ashamed that I like that. Disclaimer: The fastest speed limit on the way down is 60 mph.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 11-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

You guys are comparing your total MPG (City+Hwy), which I think is flawed. Running it in a V8 vs V4 on a long stretch of highway is not a 2 MPG difference.

I live in San Francisco. If I am driving to Los Angeles down Interstate 5, which is a straight shot for about 300+ miles, why wouldn't someone want to get 33 to 35 MPG cruising at 75 MPH versus alot less MPG? Now if your driving that long stretch down the Pacific Coast Highway, then I understand why it would never see V4. But if your doing long highway stretches, I think it is a blessing a dragon like the Corvette can push 35 MPG.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Typically I'm driving to work and back and I typically leave it in ECO mode all the time in my GS / M7.

Seems like I either have it in ECO mode or PTM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

A comment on longevity:

I have a 2010 Tahoe and have reprogrammed it to run in 4cyl mode more often. 169,000 miles and no issues.
red62vette (11-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To How many people regularly use V4/Eco mode?

Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I have never engaged it and have still gotten 32.9 mpg in6 gear on cruise control at 70. One reason i don't use it is because the long term effects of disabling part if the valves and cylinders is unclear and the gains are minimal.
I have a vehicle with over 165K miles on the same fuel saving function and no sign of valve or any other failure. Our C7 is never out of Eco while going places. Comes out only if time to have a little fun.
red62vette (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 03:09 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Steve, my measurements are different. I'll often do the San Diego to San Jose drive. I used Eco the whole way up and Sport the whole way back. The difference for me is 1-2 MPG more. Not really worth it anymore.
That's 'cause its all downhill from San Jose!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I am just glad I have the manual transmission so I have a choice...(
Huh? You have a choice with an auto trans too.

Quick Reply: How many people regularly use V4/Eco mode?