Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by owc6
Tastes are subjective, but in real life, chrome wheels are much, much easier to clean.

More durable than painted wheels, too. Them's the facts!
My experience was that painted were easier to keep looking good just because a little dust didn't show as much, but I wasn't running a controlled study.

The durability comment I don't understand. The aluminum underneath the finish is equally durable, but in our area chrome seems susceptible to nicks, scratches, and peeling. Painted, as I mentioned, seemed to last almost forever- they can get minor blems from road trash but those don't spread and are easily touched up.

You must have had a different experience...
The following users liked this post:
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Those are outdated opinions on chrome. My 2008 had chrome wheels, when I sold it in 2015 the wheels looked as good as the day I bought them.

Chrome has no issues if you take care of them. Curbing is an issue for all wheels, not just chrome.

I was going to remove the pint from the barrels of my wheels until I realized that the paint there is to protect the chrome from heating up and bubbling. Chrome on the face as long as you clean off the brake dust and polish them yearly stays looking fresh and new.
We had chrome Gumbys like yours on our 2009. At the first tire change (25k miles?) I replaced them with painted split-spokes.
Much later, when I went to clean them up for sale, I found both fronts had some scratches (not rash) in the chrome, like from tossed-up stones or something similar. One rim also had a small spot where the chrome was unbroken but not adhering to the base material. No evidence of impact or other damage, just the beginning of flaking for reasons unknown.

One front wheel on our newish 2017 has something that looks like curb rash but extends most of the way up the spoke. Can't figure out how it got there, but it looks ugly and will need replacement or rechrome some day, GM officially says no rechroming. Painted would be a DIY fix or maybe $100 at the dealer.
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
My experience was that painted were easier to keep looking good just because a little dust didn't show as much, but I wasn't running a controlled study.

The durability comment I don't understand. The aluminum underneath the finish is equally durable, but in our area chrome seems susceptible to nicks, scratches, and peeling. Painted, as I mentioned, seemed to last almost forever- they can get minor blems from road trash but those don't spread and are easily touched up.

You must have had a different experience...
Quality chrome plating such as supplied on C7 wheels is extremely durable. Chrome plating that nicks/peels is junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
LT1 Z51 (11-10-2017), roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

We had chrome Gumbys like yours on our 2009. At the first tire change (25k miles?) I replaced them with painted split-spokes.
Much later, when I went to clean them up for sale, I found both fronts had some scratches (not rash) in the chrome, like from tossed-up stones or something similar. One rim also had a small spot where the chrome was unbroken but not adhering to the base material. No evidence of impact or other damage, just the beginning of flaking for reasons unknown.

One front wheel on our newish 2017 has something that looks like curb rash but extends most of the way up the spoke. Can't figure out how it got there, but it looks ugly and will need replacement or rechrome some day, GM officially says no rechroming. Painted would be a DIY fix or maybe $100 at the dealer.
GM says no to re-chroming because its expensive and in some places illegal (the process is not environmentally safe).

I would say your chrome wheels which had say got moisture in them, and that was the cause of the issue. Chrome is incredibly hard to keep in good shape when you store it. You have to take them out, clean them, and polish them regularly. If they just sat in your garage, they would eventually fail.
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Love my chrome wheels
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

No chrome!
The following 2 users liked this post by JGarland:
roadbike56 (11-11-2017), Stingray23 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Get whatever wheels come with the car and then go aftermarket....
This is also good option.
When I bought my C6 from dealer stock it came with Chrome wheels.
But shopping for a C7 I didn't want the extra $2000 option for Chrome wheels and bought one with Silver painted wheels.
I had 2 sets of wheels for the C6 and kept the Chrome Gumby wheels with A/S tires when trading it in for the C7.
Another option is Powder Coated wheels.
With the $2000 I saved getting Silver painted wheels, and a bit more $$, I bought a set of Gray Powder Coated Finspeed wheels to match the Shark Gray
I've had experience with Powder Coat before, but forgot how Durable it was.
Powder Coat is less prone to chip like Paint does, and resistant to gas, oil and everyday grime, bugs etc.
These wheels have been the easiest to clean no matter how dirty they get.
And there's limitless color/finish options with Powder Coat.
Just my suggestion for what it's worth
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:16 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Best looking C7 wheels hands down.
The following 3 users liked this post by JGarland:
John Micheal Henry (11-12-2017), roadbike56 (11-11-2017), Steve Garrett (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

That's certainly an option, all be it not an inexpensive one.
I prefer to purchase a car where existing wheels satisfy me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
dvilin (11-12-2017), roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

GM says no to re-chroming because its expensive and in some places illegal (the process is not environmentally safe).

I would say your chrome wheels which had say got moisture in them, and that was the cause of the issue. Chrome is incredibly hard to keep in good shape when you store it. You have to take them out, clean them, and polish them regularly. If they just sat in your garage, they would eventually fail.
If an owner or dealer is re-chroming on their own dime, GM doesn't care about the cost. Even under warranty, it's probably cheaper for GM than replacing an otherwise-good wheel.

The legality of the process is the responsibility of the plater, not GM.

I suspect that GM says no to re-chroming because of quality/safety concerns. Hydrogen embrittlement is not common in aluminum but is possible, and perhaps GM has had or seen other bad results like flaking/peeling/pitting and the hassles aren't worth the cost savings. Which could be true for individual owners also.
For those who wish to read it, the bulletin is #99-08-51-007G

We've had three Corvettes with painted wheels (66k miles, 44k miles, 102k miles) that all looked fine with just very minor DIY touchup and one $100 charge for curb repair.
We've had two Corvettes with chrome wheels (25k miles, 5k miles), each had at least one wheel that you would want to rechrome or replace. And an unfortunate number of friends with similar experiences.

If someone likes the look of chrome and is willing to put up with the hassles and likely expense, that's no more offbeat than buying a Corvette in the first place. For me, I prefer painted.
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:21 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

If an owner or dealer is re-chroming on their own dime, GM doesn't care about the cost. Even under warranty, it's probably cheaper for GM than replacing an otherwise-good wheel.

The legality of the process is the responsibility of the plater, not GM.

I suspect that GM says no to re-chroming because of quality/safety concerns. Hydrogen embrittlement is not common in aluminum but is possible, and perhaps GM has had or seen other bad results like flaking/peeling/pitting and the hassles aren't worth the cost savings. Which could be true for individual owners also.
For those who wish to read it, the bulletin is #99-08-51-007G

We've had three Corvettes with painted wheels (66k miles, 44k miles, 102k miles) that all looked fine with just very minor DIY touchup and one $100 charge for curb repair.
We've had two Corvettes with chrome wheels (25k miles, 5k miles), each had at least one wheel that you would want to rechrome or replace. And an unfortunate number of friends with similar experiences.

If someone likes the look of chrome and is willing to put up with the hassles and likely expense, that's no more offbeat than buying a Corvette in the first place. For me, I prefer painted.
While what you say is true in regards to the legality. Many dealers would do it if GM made it a policy.

I’ve looked in the aftermarket for re-chromium options. There are not many.

Side-note a lot of chrome wheels today are actually PVD. PVD is a process you can do to Wheels that looks like chrome and wears like paint. The issue is you can’t swap chrome wheels to PVD. Most places refuse to strip off chrome due to the process.

I just PVD’d my Focus ST wheels because I hated the painted look and wanted chrome. It was really the only option because no one would chrome my wheels locally.

Corvette wheels are unfortunately not PVD.
roadbike56 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Chrome vs Painted. Hmmmmmm.......

Depends on what you are after. Speaking of Depends, if you wear them, you probably want Chromies cause you're likely an Old Geezer. They will look sparkly and nostalgic when you pull in to the local nursing homes' parking circle to pick up your date. Just be mindful that you use a little extra Polident in case your jaw drops when that lovely Octagenarian exits the nursing home with a Chromie walker and blows you away with her new wig and that intoxicating Estee Lauder perfume. Let me bold the font for you Geezers so you can read this better.

Painted will make you appear more youthful and hip. Beautiful young(er) women will flock to you at the local Chili's when you roll up in your manly Rocketship of American steel.

But Black, now that is where it's at. When you exit a car with black wheels the Bald Eagles will scream with approval, the women will too. Your long flowing locks will gently flap in the breeze like they did back in 1961 when you were a freshman in college. Your quads and butt will once again have definition and that arthritic hitch in your giddy up will be replaced by a confident, powerful stride.

It's up to you!

Last edited by LimeRay; 11-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Italianfox (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Thanks Limeray. I needed a good laugh today. Great post. At my age if I thought black wheels would regrow my hair I would be all in.
LimeRay (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:06 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

These..

Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Chrome vs Painted. Hmmmmmm.......

Depends on what you are after. Speaking of Depends, if you wear them, you probably want Chromies cause you're likely an Old Geezer. They will look sparkly and nostalgic when you pull in to the local nursing homes' parking circle to pick up your date. Just be mindful that you use a little extra Polident in case your jaw drops when that lovely Octagenarian exits the nursing home with a Chromie walker and blows you away with her new wig and that intoxicating Estee Lauder perfume. Let me bold the font for you Geezers so you can read this better.

Painted will make you appear more youthful and hip. Beautiful young(er) women will flock to you at the local Chili's when you roll up in your manly Rocketship of American steel.

But Black, now that is where it's at. When you exit a car with black wheels the Bald Eagles will scream with approval, the women will too. Your long flowing locks will gently flap in the breeze like they did back in 1961 when you were a freshman in college. Your quads and butt will once again have definition and that arthritic hitch in your giddy up will be replaced by a confident, powerful stride.

It's up to you!
I enjoy the sarcasm.

But I guess this means I’m 63 not 36 at heart.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

While what you say is true in regards to the legality. Many dealers would do it if GM made it a policy.

I’ve looked in the aftermarket for re-chromium options. There are not many.

Side-note a lot of chrome wheels today are actually PVD. PVD is a process you can do to Wheels that looks like chrome and wears like paint. The issue is you can’t swap chrome wheels to PVD. Most places refuse to strip off chrome due to the process.

I just PVD’d my Focus ST wheels because I hated the painted look and wanted chrome. It was really the only option because no one would chrome my wheels locally.

Corvette wheels are unfortunately not PVD.
Can you post some pics of your PVD wheels?
Up close, do they look like chrome or slightly different?
If a PVD wheel gets the surface damaged, can you have it redone easily?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:06 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Can you post some pics of your PVD wheels?
Up close, do they look like chrome or slightly different?
If a PVD wheel gets the surface damaged, can you have it redone easily?

Thanks.
Sure.

My understanding is they can be touched up. Not as easily as paint. But to re-PVD the entire wheel is only $170.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Choosing Chrome or Painted Wheels for 2014 Z51

Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

You asked for my opinion, so here it is.

Chrome wheels on a new car screams “old man”. There I said it.

They are heavier, and due to H2 embrittlement, they aren’t as strong.

But, if you’re going chrome, make em spinners... yeah baby....
Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Where does the old man stereotype come from? I never got that. I’ve always loved chrome (my parents do not), I’m young (36), college educated (masters degree), have a good job where I make six-figures and I live in an upper middle class neighborhood and I have my entire life.

So the old man, low class, thug, uneducated comments and stereo types confuse me.

Spinners are to me ugly and in no way related to chrome. Wheels can be ornate and gaudy, which I view as low class, regardless of material or finish.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I prefer painted over chrome, I'm 72 and don't see any correlation between age and wheel finish in our area.
Come to think of it, the "young punk ricer" crowd prefers black painted.

Chrome Gumbys on the C6 weighed 1 lb more each than polished, not significant I think.

I'm confident that the failure rate of GM chromed wheels vs GM painted is essentially identical. Aftermarket chromed or rechromed, maybe not.
Italianfox (11-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Chrome or Painted Wheels for 2014 Z51