Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Sure.

My understanding is they can be touched up. Not as easily as paint. But to re-PVD the entire wheel is only $170.
Thanks.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,799 Likes on 5,631 Posts

Where does the old man stereotype come from? I never got that. I’ve always loved chrome (my parents do not), I’m young (36), college educated (masters degree), have a good job where I make six-figures and I live in an upper middle class neighborhood and I have my entire life.

So the old man, low class, thug, uneducated comments and stereo types confuse me.

Spinners are to me ugly and in no way related to chrome. Wheels can be ornate and gaudy, which I view as low class, regardless of material or finish.
Same here, I don't get the stereotype! I've always been active in the car scene/car shows/auctions and such and have never heard of the association between chrome wheels and old people until I started participating on this forum.
I have 3 son-in-laws ages ranging 24>36, all professionals, all appreciate fine cars and all like well designed chrome wheels.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 11-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Chrome is not any heavier than paint.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,755 Likes on 4,184 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Get whatever wheels come with the car and then go aftermarket....

Originally Posted by JGarland
Best looking C7 wheels hands down.

Thanks Jason! Plus, these wheels are less than $2,000 a set....less than Chrome wheels.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Thanks Jason! Plus, these wheels are less than $2,000 a set....less than Chrome wheels.
Looks like they added a inside ring in the casting to strengthen the barrel
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I said it was MY opinion. I'm not saying it's a fact. Up until the C7 I've never seen a young guy wheeling around in a Corvette with chrome wheels. It was always the old dudes with gold chains, open polyester shirts, and pinky rings. Same with Cadillac, or Lexus, or .... Old guys dig the chrome.

That's what I saw.

If you like it, fine. that's why they make them, but if someone asks for MY opinion on what they should get. You shouldn't get a bent outta shape when I tell them what I think... I wouldn't get chrome. (so I didn't...)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

It's a common theme on this forum, not an attack on you personally.

I just don't get why I see it here but not other places.

The guys at work under 30 all hate chrome but honestly my respect for the style and tastes of most Millennials is tepid at best. I feel like they will lead us into a generation of suck design as they gain buying power. And I say that as a guy who by some accounts is a Millennial (I'm a cusp baby, no one can decide statistically if I'm Gen-X or Millennial, and I hate both generations because I do not conform to the know stereotypes of either).
roadbike56 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

It's a common theme on this forum, not an attack on you personally.

I just don't get why I see it here but not other places.

The guys at work under 30 all hate chrome but honestly my respect for the style and tastes of most Millennials is tepid at best. I feel like they will lead us into a generation of suck design as they gain buying power. And I say that as a guy who by some accounts is a Millennial (I'm a cusp baby, no one can decide statistically if I'm Gen-X or Millennial, and I hate both generations because I do not conform to the know stereotypes of either).
It's not just here on the Corvette Forums. I was a member of the M6G forums for the S550 Mustang. They'd spew the same BS about chrome being for old guys. I say "whatever", I'm 61, so some would say I'm old. I've been modding cars cosmetically my whole life. There's just something about chrome wheels that really helps accent a nice car. Certain colors really pop with chrome. The whole "black wheel", "murdered out" craze has just gotten played out in my opinion (and it's just that, "my opinion").

Funny story (to me anyway) I sold the Mustang and bought a 2017 Escape Titanium because the winter weather was killing me last year. The car I picked out happened to have the "sport appearance package which blacked out the emblems, and the bight work like grill, fender vents, and roof rack cross rails. It also included gloss black wheels. I hated the look of the wheels, but it's what the car came with. The funny part about this is that almost everyone who sees the car comments on how nice the wheels are, or how much did it cost to put those wheels on. I don't like the black wheels, but they do seem to be very popular. Go figure.

PS. My wife is 13 yrs. younger than me and she likes the chrome wheels better also.
LT1 Z51 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Well, I'm a 70 yr old geezer and i don't like chrome wheels. My 2016 Shark Gray vert came with Silver Painted and they look great when all the brake dust is cleaned off. But I've now purchased aftermarket from a forum vendor in black, machined front wheels. They look great and the black background barrels really makes the machining pop. My silver now have my A/S 3+ tires mounted and the black machined have my summer tires .

Last edited by Italianfox; 11-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Sometimes I can't believe the stereotyping that goes on here because someone doesn't like what someone else does. Isn't a corvette just a car for old men?
LT1 Z51 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Italianfox
Sometimes I can't believe the stereotyping that goes on here because someone doesn't like what someone else does. Isn't a corvette just a car for old men?
Pretty much up until the C7 I'd say you were correct. They really weren't very good cars. They weren't well made, they weren't comfortable, they were pretty good at going fast in a straight line... The worst being the C4. The 5 was better, the 6.. better, but the 7 finally came closest to getting it right.

But I always got the impression that the guys I met, that bought the earlier cars, always secretly wished they could swing something better.

The C7 is a great car. Decent materials, relatively well made, fast, reliable, and a great value. It's the ONLY Corvette I'd ever considered in the last 40 years. (or American car) But it never occured to me to put chrome wheels on it. (it's just the engineer in me...)

Now, don't get your panties in a twist. I'll never say anything bad to anybody if they decide to something to their car. It's their car, if they like it, cool. Some cars look ok with them, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Thanks to everyone who posted. I read every post. I didn't see a clear consensus and that's OK. No matter what wheels I go with, they'll work out.
A special Thanks to LT1 Z51. I didn't know about the PVD process, very interesting.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Pretty much up until the C7 I'd say you were correct. They really weren't very good cars. They weren't well made, they weren't comfortable, they were pretty good at going fast in a straight line... The worst being the C4. The 5 was better, the 6.. better, but the 7 finally came closest to getting it right.

But I always got the impression that the guys I met, that bought the earlier cars, always secretly wished they could swing something better.

The C7 is a great car. Decent materials, relatively well made, fast, reliable, and a great value. It's the ONLY Corvette I'd ever considered in the last 40 years. (or American car) But it never occured to me to put chrome wheels on it. (it's just the engineer in me...)

Now, don't get your panties in a twist. I'll never say anything bad to anybody if they decide to something to their car. It's their car, if they like it, cool. Some cars look ok with them, but I wouldn't do it.
I dunno, the C6 broke a lot of those stereotypes. The 2008 interior update made the car decent.

I get you’re just saying your opinion, but I think I’m your explanation your dislike of American cars is the basis of your stereotype. People who bought American generally liked the C5 and the C6. The C7 is the first to cross that import boundary stereotype.

The reason I think has less to do with cars getting better or worse, but more so that cars are generally converging. Look at a 2000 car. It’s easy to tell US versus German versus Japanese. The styling, design, layout, themes are all very “country†specific. The push for global cars has removed this, and so people who used to “only†buy one type of car now find themselves not hating other types.

Very very few people look at things objectively. Even engineers, and I can say that as one, they like what they like. I used to be a big BMW fan but they lost their Germanness and I won’t buy them now. My parents still love them though.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rrsperry

My comment was meant to be sarcastic. When i was a teenager over 50 years ago the first thing I did to my first car was to put chrome mags on it. Of course in those days most cars had wheel covers over black steel wheels. Simpler times i guess. But maybe my mind is going and I really don't remember what i should. Maybe it's getting depends time? do chrome wheels really grow hair back??? if so I'll chrome wheel everything i own
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I dunno, the C6 broke a lot of those stereotypes. The 2008 interior update made the car decent.

I get you’re just saying your opinion, but I think I’m your explanation your dislike of American cars is the basis of your stereotype. People who bought American generally liked the C5 and the C6. The C7 is the first to cross that import boundary stereotype.

The reason I think has less to do with cars getting better or worse, but more so that cars are generally converging. Look at a 2000 car. It’s easy to tell US versus German versus Japanese. The styling, design, layout, themes are all very “country†specific. The push for global cars has removed this, and so people who used to “only†buy one type of car now find themselves not hating other types.

Very very few people look at things objectively. Even engineers, and I can say that as one, they like what they like. I used to be a big BMW fan but they lost their Germanness and I won’t buy them now. My parents still love them though.
On another topic-
A few of the letters/words in your posts look like they are in Cyrillic or something like that. Do you know what causes that?
Our computer is Windows 10, IE11. Seems to happen only with your posts.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
On another topic-
A few of the letters/words in your posts look like they are in Cyrillic or something like that. Do you know what causes that?
It’s an Apple thing. Apple just released a fix.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
On another topic-
The mobile app keeps changing ' to some weird characters. I see it on My PC's as well. Something to do with UTF-8 Encoding being wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Choosing Chrome or Painted Wheels for 2014 Z51

Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Italianfox
My comment was meant to be sarcastic. When i was a teenager over 50 years ago the first thing I did to my first car was to put chrome mags on it. Of course in those days most cars had wheel covers over black steel wheels. Simpler times i guess. But maybe my mind is going and I really don't remember what i should. Maybe it's getting depends time? do chrome wheels really grow hair back??? if so I'll chrome wheel everything i own
Notice I said modern car. A 60’s muscle car, chrome is period correct.

And I said the last 40 years, was because the US made pretty crappy cars. My last American car was a 1975 MustangII... not our best moment. Lol

A 76 Datsun 280z, RX-7, 4Runner, F150(doesn’t count as a car...lol)BMW M3 (still own it), Audi A6, and a Mini Cooper.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

The "chrome-thing" isnt exclusive to old people.

Its just chrome is out of style and has been for a while now.

If you dont like black there is painted or machine-faced.

Chrome is for C5 and older.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Chrome vs Painted. Hmmmmmm.......

Depends on what you are after. Speaking of Depends, if you wear them, you probably want Chromies cause you're likely an Old Geezer. They will look sparkly and nostalgic when you pull in to the local nursing homes' parking circle to pick up your date. Just be mindful that you use a little extra Polident in case your jaw drops when that lovely Octagenarian exits the nursing home with a Chromie walker and blows you away with her new wig and that intoxicating Estee Lauder perfume. Let me bold the font for you Geezers so you can read this better.

Painted will make you appear more youthful and hip. Beautiful young(er) women will flock to you at the local Chili's when you roll up in your manly Rocketship of American steel.

But Black, now that is where it's at. When you exit a car with black wheels the Bald Eagles will scream with approval, the women will too. Your long flowing locks will gently flap in the breeze like they did back in 1961 when you were a freshman in college. Your quads and butt will once again have definition and that arthritic hitch in your giddy up will be replaced by a confident, powerful stride.

It's up to you!
Black is now the new plain. A dime a dozen. Looks like someone painted them with a cheap can of spray paint. They are one step away from having hub caps

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-14-2017 at 01:08 PM.
LT1 Z51 (11-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Chrome or Painted Wheels for 2014 Z51