C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How straightforward is a Bendpak HD-9 lift install?

Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default How straightforward is a Bendpak HD-9 lift install?

Hello,

I have been prepping my garage for a while now and I am finally ready to order my lift (Bendpak HD-9). I am mechanically inclined; however, I have never installed a lift. Do any of you have experience and recommendations that you can share? One concern of course is just getting it from the curb to the garage. Do you recommend that I have it installed by a professional installer?

Any and all advice welcome!

Jim

Last edited by JBOSS; 11-13-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I did my own - first time with a friend, second time alone when I moved from Indiana to SoCal. If you have one or two buddies who will help for free beer, go for it. It's a lot of fun when you have help. When I did the install myself, it took longer but was doable with the help of an engine hoist. I recommend the friend route, though.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-to-rest.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lift-down.html
Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I installed one a few years back. It's not that hard if you have a helper with a strong back, and assuming you have one too. It's definitely not a one-person job.

The instructions are good, and if you read them 2-3 times, and follow them explicitly it's fairly simple. Do everything in the exact order specified and don't try any shortcuts, or you might end up taking everything back apart and starting over.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
I did my own - first time with a friend, second time alone when I moved from Indiana to SoCal. If you have one or two buddies who will help for free beer, go for it. It's a lot of fun when you have help. When I did the install myself, it took longer but was doable with the help of an engine hoist. I recommend the friend route, though.

Agree it's doable by yourself.....I've actually done 4 by myself now with the help of an engine hoist.... no biggie, the first one definitely took the longest (about 6 hours), the last one I did in just under 3 hours.

Extra hands are always nice for helping but in my case no one was around to help so I just did it myself.

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 11-13-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches

crap on a hoist man 4 of us and it wasn't easy 2 guys on each end. But then again I am a old fart too. Robert
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Well, my HD-9 STX is great but make sure that you get extended ramps or you WILL scrape rockers. You don't have to as how I know...I am VERY mechanically inclined however I did not attempt this. I had a local company pick it up at the supplier, bring it to my house and do the install. Cost? $500 WELL SPENT. FWIW.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:10 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

I had my Bendpac delivered and installed by a recommended contractor/installer. Well worth the money spent which was approximately $500, including the hydraulic fluid.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM
DD04C5
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

My son and I installed mine in one afternoon, just follow instructions, be sure to get it level. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Great advice, gentlemen. Thank you!

$500 sounds reasonable to me. Bendpak gave me the name of an installer, and they want $900!! Honestly, that is why I am considering doing it myself. I'd have it done all day at $500. How in the world do I find a lift installer? You'd think it would be easy to find online, but I am struggling. Any recommendations on how to find an installer? I live in the Chicago western suburbs.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I paid $450 to the guy I bought the lift from to install it. Money well spent.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by JBOSS
Great advice, gentlemen. Thank you!

$500 sounds reasonable to me. Bendpak gave me the name of an installer, and they want $900!! Honestly, that is why I am considering doing it myself. I'd have it done all day at $500. How in the world do I find a lift installer? You'd think it would be easy to find online, but I am struggling. Any recommendations on how to find an installer? I live in the Chicago western suburbs.
This should be so easy for you...google and then talk to a number of companies that sell automotive industrial equipment in the Chicago area and ask.
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I had 4 friends who helped the uninstall and installation of mine (Backyard buddy)...it came with a '66 Nassau Blue coupe. Installation is pretty straight forward, its the heavy lifting which is a pain in the back. As suggested earlier, an engine dolly would be helpful or pay the $500 and move on. Depending where you install, you may need a high lift kit for your garage door track / jack shaft opener. Good luck, remember you only have 1 back!
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

To OP. Are you going to pickup the lift at the local freight yard.

I believe that most deliveries have the responsibility of getting the lift off the truck to the owner.

I had a flat bed pick mine up and drop it off in the driveway.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 644 Likes on 387 Posts

It should be easy to install. Some friends and I did mine (different brand) on a Saturday morning. None of us had ever done one before.

I had a flatbed truck pick mine up at the freight place and deliver it.
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 238 Posts

I went through the local shop equipment company that services the NTB, Pep Boys and several dealership garages in the area. My net cost for full service delivery, installation AND WARRANTY service was only 300 over what the lift would have cost with shipping from the lowest bid internet seller I could find. $300 well spent. Especially considering the warranty is also honored by them and that paid off having the hydraulic unit replaced twice and rescuing my truck that was stuck 6 feet in the air.

Strongly suggest getting a couple turn key bids from local equipment dealers. The package price may just come out much better than you think and you don't have to deal with delivery, transport or installation.
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Admittedly my $450 was for a truck and 2 guys that didn't speak any English in Scottsdale, Az. Then they actually took it down and delivered it to San Diego and reinstalled it for that same price a bit later which included the 380 mile drive both ways. I think Trump and the ICE folks may have put the whammy on those kinds of deals that you likely couldn't access way up North in any case. Similar problem with my rent house painter in Phoenix and my local painter in Temecula. They no longer are here.
JBOSS (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by pkincy
Admittedly my $450 was for a truck and 2 guys that didn't speak any English in Scottsdale, Az. Then they actually took it down and delivered it to San Diego and reinstalled it for that same price a bit later which included the 380 mile drive both ways. I think Trump and the ICE folks may have put the whammy on those kinds of deals that you likely couldn't access way up North in any case. Similar problem with my rent house painter in Phoenix and my local painter in Temecula. They no longer are here.
Thanks, Perry. The lowest quote that I can get is $900 to deliver and fully install. Gotta love Chicagoland. I've also had no luck finding a "full service" shop that I could buy the lift and the installation from (hoping for a better package price). It shouldn't be this hard. UGH
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM
ClydeFrog
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 95 Posts

If you have the money to pay Kane County property taxes, you have the additional $500 to take the path of least resistance.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
If you have the money to pay Kane County property taxes, you have the additional $500 to take the path of least resistance.
LOL. You make a good point. These taxes truly are INSANE though. I’m at a full 3% of market value. I’m getting out of this crazy state as soon as I retire.

Get notified of new replies

To How straightforward is a Bendpak HD-9 lift install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How straightforward is a Bendpak HD-9 lift install?