Sponsored by:

Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Nuts,Now it's almost given away.That's what makes this forum interesting.A opinion different than others or yourself.Many don't like the spoiler at all.
I just had to throw a little JAB at ya All in fun.

I took it that way!
The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by DALE#3
I remember the LOCKED threads on the Z51 Being it's own Car.
New line:PEOPLE SUCK (Some do)
I forgot about those..."Is Z51 a model or an option package?"
Back in the C6 days, the weekly end of the world thread was: "Z51 or F55, which is better?"
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I forgot about those..."Is Z51 a model or an option package?"
Back in the C6 days, the weekly end of the world thread was: "Z51 or F55, which is better?"
Nuts.It really was.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
GregNYC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a relative newcomer to the forum and agree with the OP. But is the forum that bad? I haven't seen any posts that are:
  • anti-chrome wheels or
  • anti-old-guy or
  • anti-waxing and detailing
  • Or even anti "car-guy lawn-chairs" (of which I have two!)
What have I been missing?

EDIT: I just saw a reference to "the waxer crowd" in a ZR1 post. I see the idea behind that comment: the primary use of our Corvettes is supposed to be track use. Lol, as a newcomer, I'm learning about the culture!

Last edited by GregNYC; 11-16-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM
noennui
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jimmie,
I agree with 100% everything you stated and have seen the same types of behavior on a couple of Ducati forums I visit! I'm now on my second Corvette a 2017 GS Z07 which is awesome! The C7 is the first generation that I liked enough to sell my 1996 LT4 (although i am dragging my feet on selling it as my wife will confirm!!)
Here is my new baby:

Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,675 Likes on 5,586 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Funny how the anonymity of the internet seems to bring out the best in people.
There you have it!
Until recently I was a moderator on a collector forum where anyone could view however you had to be registered by your real name to post. There was rarely ever any conflict or harsh words.
lancekl (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500 hd
Your chair is parked in the handicapped spot .....
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

nice whip Jim. Did you tell us what year it is for the long term update?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

At NO point in my OP did I suggest that we should all agree. The entire point of the post is that we (clearly) have DIFFERENT ideas of how OUR Corvette should look and how we should use it. To suggest that this Forum takes these differences in stride (like the "real world") is folly, and coming from someone with 70,000+ posts, you KNOW how nasty and stereotypical this place can be. Also, comparing how folks interact on this forum to the "real world" is silly....9 out of 10 times, folks are not RUDE/NASTY/BELIGERENT to a stranger when face to face. The same cannot be said about Corvette Forum.
so in the real world people aren't "RUDE/NASTY/BELIGERENT", wow, where do you live because it sounds like a utopia.

I know full well how bad this place can be and having almost 71k posts and a 12 year membership I also know how fun, informative and interesting this place can be. I spend 95% of my time in the jungle of OT and that place is nasty, C7 Gen is Romper Room compared to that but being a person with thick skin who can dish it out as well as take it I take it all in stride. The trick is don't let it get to you, I don't mean 90% of the crap I spew as far as put downs, comments, ribs, it's merely guy talk. I can be cordial when the time warrants it, I'm not always an ******* so my advice to you, take it if you wish, don't let any of the negativity of people get to you, they are just words on a screen.

I hope you enjoy your time here, there are a lot of great people with a wealth of info.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

My only criticism buying a '15 was that Cyber Gray wasn't available. It was my 1st choice.
Beautiful car and great post!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Thanks.
I was surprised when they replaced Cyber Gray with Shark Gray in 2015. And then Shark had a two year run, to be replaced by Watkins Glen Gray, which is close to Cyber, but with more silver than blue.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by themonk
so in the real world people aren't "RUDE/NASTY/BELIGERENT", wow, where do you live because it sounds like a utopia.

I know full well how bad this place can be and having almost 71k posts and a 12 year membership I also know how fun, informative and interesting this place can be. I spend 95% of my time in the jungle of OT and that place is nasty, C7 Gen is Romper Room compared to that but being a person with thick skin who can dish it out as well as take it I take it all in stride. The trick is don't let it get to you, I don't mean 90% of the crap I spew as far as put downs, comments, ribs, it's merely guy talk. I can be cordial when the time warrants it, I'm not always an ******* so my advice to you, take it if you wish, don't let any of the negativity of people get to you, they are just words on a screen.

I hope you enjoy your time here, there are a lot of great people with a wealth of info.
My point was that folks tend to NOT be nasty face to face with strangers. The anonymity of a Forum makes folks BRAVE!
I hear you on OT. I dip my toe in the water there every now and then, OT (for me, at least) is best served in LIMITED doses. It's way too much of EVERYTHING.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-16-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks.
I was surprised when they replaced Cyber Gray with Shark Gray in 2015. And then Shark had a two year run, to be replaced by Watkins Glen Gray, which is close to Cyber, but with more silver than blue.
A consolation for me is that primarily because Cyber Gray (and my 2nd choice of Night Race Blue) isn't available, I have no temptation whatsoever to desire a new one.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:15 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
nice whip Jim. Did you tell us what year it is for the long term update?
Thanks. It's a 2014. Ordered the first day you could order convertibles (sometime in August 2013), was built in late February 2014, I got it in early March 2014, it was my dealer's first convertible. It has EASILY been my best Corvette (out of 5 total). It has never had an unscheduled service stop, the couple of recalls (shocks and fuel filler screen) were handled when it was in for oil changes.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't want to make this a rant, it will probably come across that way anyhow.

I am continually surprised and saddened by the tone on this Forum. Folks buy Corvettes for many reasons, but a very vocal group has appointed themselves the keepers of HOW a Corvette owner should:
1. Spec HIS/HER car.
2. What HE/SHE should DO with THEIR Corvette.

In no particular order, here are the never ending burrs under the self appointed KING'S saddles:
1. Chrome wheels: Holy cow, how can so many people find this SO offensive? Don't like chrome wheels? Fine, DON'T order them. If someone else LIKES them and it is, THEIR CAR, why is this a problem? And why cover your dislike/hatred AD NAUSEUM. We got the first time, really.
2. Convertibles: This one is near and dear to me because all 5 of my Corvettes have been convertibles. There is some kind of macho thing going on here that's really laughable. Since one can't track a convertible, these tough guys consider the convertible a poser car. Never mind the fact that probably 95% of these keyboard warriors DON'T track their coupes (assuming they even OWN a Corvette rather than a Civic with a rear wing).
3. Convertible Part 2: GM is going to offer a ZR1 convertible....you would think they're clubbing baby seals with the outcry. A handy reminder: Ferrari offers every "special" mid-engine V8 car in convertible (see 16M for example). So, it's OK for Ferrari, but GM is diluting the "purpose" of the ZR1 or whatever silly reason for this hissy fit. There was the same outcry, probably from the same guys, when they offered a Z06 convertible.
4. Manual verses automatic: This is a great one. Basically, REAL men buy manuals, waxers buy autos. Of course, that's patently WRONG but what the hell. All Ferraris since 2011 have been automatics, BTW. Ditto McLaren, but they don't count because they're DCT's. Pretty sure if a transmission will shift itself, regardless of design, it's an AUTOMATIC.
5. Old guys, Corvettes, and how they use them: Well....I'm NOW an old guy...bought my first Corvette at age 40, now I'm closing in on 61. I suppose I should have the good taste to start buying Lexus'. This one perplexes me the most. An old guy buys a Corvette (with chrome wheels and an automatic!), enjoys his car on nice days, goes to Corvette shows (and Cars and Coffee), sits in a lawn chair and talks CARS with other folks that also love CARS. And he waxes his car (the shame!). You would think the guy is a mass murderer the way his kind are talked about here. I don't get it and sure as hell don't know who died and made the complainers KING FOR A DAY.

In the end, I love my Corvette as I have all of them. It brings a smile to my face and even after nearly four years of owning my C7, I STILL make up excuses to take it out for drive. Forums are great, opinions are (mostly) great...the problem with too many Corvette Forum opinions is that they are mean spirited and divisive. Don't like chrome wheels? Cool. Why slap someone around because they do?

This is a CORVETTE. Let's all just enjoy ours and appreciate that everyone is looking for something different in THEIR Corvette. We call these "choices".

Jimmy

PS. The +/- of the above Corvette, which I ordered, equipped EXACTLY the way I wanted it:

Minus:
Convertible
Non Z51

Plus:
No chrome wheels
Manual transmission

So, I guess I'm even....

PSS. I forgot the car has NPP. So, I'm cool by a score of 3 to 2!!!! Yay me.

PSSS. I put in an MGW shifter a week and a half ago....4 to 2....

PSSSS: It's lowered all the way (stock bolts) Man, 5 to 2....I'm closing in on REALLY cool.

I'm partial to the coupe for esthetic reasons, but that is one beautiful vert!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bavaria
A consolation for me is that primarily because Cyber Gray (and my 2nd choice of Night Race Blue) isn't available, I have no temptation whatsoever to desire a new one.
Watkins Glen Gray is somewhat close to Cyber, until you see them side by side. Then you notice how much blue is in Cyber Gray

Cyber Gray is on the left:
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
There you have it!
Until recently I was a moderator on a collector forum where anyone could view however you had to be registered by your real name to post. There was rarely ever any conflict or harsh words.
That wouldn't be a bad idea on any forum unless someone has something to hide
lancekl (11-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Old 11-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well Jimmy, I was feeling really good about myself today until I read your post.

Convertible with auto, and chrome wheels.....I suck.

BTW, well said my Tar Hell brother. And your C7 is a beauty.

Kevin A Jones (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Grant G
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vette ownership

Jimmy nice article, obviously u have ur head where it belongs and ur feet on the ground, in aug 2014 ordered my 3rd vette 2015 stingray,im 67 its 1st time since 1970 that I ordered a new car w/ what I wanted on it, I don't need some yahoo telling me I made a mistake, been 3yrs and im still on cloud 9 ,looking at and driving it,people still say it looks awesome,good article.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Well Jimmy, I was feeling really good about myself today until I read your post.

Convertible with auto, and chrome wheels.....I suck.

BTW, well said my Tar Hell brother. And your C7 is a beauty.

Beautiful car! I had a 2005 C6 convertible (machine silver with red interior), loved that car and silver is sure easy to take car of....(oh wait, I must be a "waxer", so I suck also)

The point of my thread was that YOU did EXACTLY what you should do...order the car YOU want and you shouldn't have to listen to a bunch of faceless internet warriors second guessing that!

My 2005 C6

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-16-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view