Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

ROTFLMFAO. Just when I thought I'd seen it all. A group therapy, circle jerk thread for a "certain" group of owners. Priceless.
The following 2 users liked this post by rikhek:
Mordeth (11-16-2017), Stingray23 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
Great post....beautiful car and a few of my favorite comments....

keyboard warriors.....clubbing baby seals and....

sitting in a lawn chair.....LMAO

I'm going to lay claim to a new label for legacy owners, "SUPER WAXER". A regular waxer is not fully committed to the legacy ownership experience.

A SUPER WAXER goes the extra mile to source and buy both a shirt AND a lawn chair the same paint code as their car. Now that's commitment and dedication! You go girl!!!

Last edited by rikhek; 11-16-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stingray23 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

The internet, agreement on anything is pretty much impossible.

Nice car ! I used to like chrome wheels, not so much anymore, maybe I will like them again one day. Trends change, tastes change, now don't get me started on those ugly black wheels
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM
michel lussier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
The internet, agreement on anything is pretty much impossible.

Nice car ! I used to like chrome wheels, not so much anymore, maybe I will like them again one day. Trends change, tastes change, now don't get me started on those ugly black wheels
Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
ROTFLMFAO. Just when I thought I'd seen it all. A group therapy, circle jerk thread for a "certain" group of owners. Priceless.
Learn something everyday.Thanks for posting
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ROTFLMAO
Old 11-16-2017, 04:43 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I don't want to make this a rant, it will probably come across that way anyhow.

I am continually surprised and saddened by the tone on this Forum. Folks buy Corvettes for many reasons, but a very vocal group has appointed themselves the keepers of HOW a Corvette owner should:
1. Spec HIS/HER car.
2. What HE/SHE should DO with THEIR Corvette.

In no particular order, here are the never ending burrs under the self appointed KING'S saddles:
1. Chrome wheels: Holy cow, how can so many people find this SO offensive? Don't like chrome wheels? Fine, DON'T order them. If someone else LIKES them and it is, THEIR CAR, why is this a problem? And why cover your dislike/hatred AD NAUSEUM. We got the first time, really.
2. Convertibles: This one is near and dear to me because all 5 of my Corvettes have been convertibles. There is some kind of macho thing going on here that's really laughable. Since one can't track a convertible, these tough guys consider the convertible a poser car. Never mind the fact that probably 95% of these keyboard warriors DON'T track their coupes (assuming they even OWN a Corvette rather than a Civic with a rear wing).
3. Convertible Part 2: GM is going to offer a ZR1 convertible....you would think they're clubbing baby seals with the outcry. A handy reminder: Ferrari offers every "special" mid-engine V8 car in convertible (see 16M for example). So, it's OK for Ferrari, but GM is diluting the "purpose" of the ZR1 or whatever silly reason for this hissy fit. There was the same outcry, probably from the same guys, when they offered a Z06 convertible.
4. Manual verses automatic: This is a great one. Basically, REAL men buy manuals, waxers buy autos. Of course, that's patently WRONG but what the hell. All Ferraris since 2011 have been automatics, BTW. Ditto McLaren, but they don't count because they're DCT's. Pretty sure if a transmission will shift itself, regardless of design, it's an AUTOMATIC.
5. Old guys, Corvettes, and how they use them: Well....I'm NOW an old guy...bought my first Corvette at age 40, now I'm closing in on 61. I suppose I should have the good taste to start buying Lexus'. This one perplexes me the most. An old guy buys a Corvette (with chrome wheels and an automatic!), enjoys his car on nice days, goes to Corvette shows (and Cars and Coffee), sits in a lawn chair and talks CARS with other folks that also love CARS. And he waxes his car (the shame!). You would think the guy is a mass murderer the way his kind are talked about here. I don't get it and sure as hell don't know who died and made the complainers KING FOR A DAY.

In the end, I love my Corvette as I have all of them. It brings a smile to my face and even after nearly four years of owning my C7, I STILL make up excuses to take it out for drive. Forums are great, opinions are (mostly) great...the problem with too many Corvette Forum opinions is that they are mean spirited and divisive. Don't like chrome wheels? Cool. Why slap someone around because they do?

This is a CORVETTE. Let's all just enjoy ours and appreciate that everyone is looking for something different in THEIR Corvette. We call these "choices".

Jimmy

PS. The +/- of the above Corvette, which I ordered, equipped EXACTLY the way I wanted it:

Minus:
Convertible
Non Z51

Plus:
No chrome wheels
Manual transmission

So, I guess I'm even....

PSS. I forgot the car has NPP. So, I'm cool by a score of 3 to 2!!!! Yay me.

PSSS. I put in an MGW shifter a week and a half ago....4 to 2....

PSSSS: It's lowered all the way (stock bolts) Man, 5 to 2....I'm closing in on REALLY cool.
I beg to differ with your chrome wheels comment... all of the comments that I have read on this forum bash the BLACK wheels, but I do agree with you on the subject of how/where/ & how much to use your Corvette, nice post
Old 11-16-2017, 05:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The point was for all owners, but interpret it any way you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
LT1 Z51 (11-16-2017), Rebel Yell (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:22 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Jimmy, thx for the posts. My thoughts exactly. I just recently joined this forum and had to immediately start adding the haters to my ignore list. Haven't had to be so active adding them in other forums I'm a member of.
tractman (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM
RecklessOp
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyskate
Chrome wheels - check
Automatic - check
Old Guy - check
Don't care about the cry baby boys with their panties in a bunch! - CHECK!

Even if someone hated chrome, I'm not sure they could argue with that combo of paint color and wheels- that is a thing of beauty!
tractman (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The point was for all owners, but interpret it any way you want.
Dang Jimmy, you write about them, they will come.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

They really still make Buicks???

(Sorry, I cribbed that from a millennial's comedy album and been waiting for the opportunity to use it)

Last edited by Avanti; 11-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:19 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Man, I am in deep do-do. 73, and a '15 coup with black wheels, 7 speed, NPP and not a Z51. Daily driver with 42,000 on it. I have a bit of the cool ratio but blew it by not having the Z51 and having a DD.. Crap. Well said jimmyb!
I don't care what the owner likes, it's his car and it is a Corvette. More power to him....I just can't wait for the first vert ZR1 with chrome wheels to come around...boy the fit is going to hit the shan. Anyway, again well said and a great post!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Bunch of grumpy Geezers in here with their Depends in a bunch. Go muddle yourself an Old Fashioned, watch some Jeopardy, and simmer down.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Bunch of grumpy Geezers in here with their Depends in a bunch. Go muddle yourself an Old Fashioned, watch some Jeopardy, and simmer down.
Me doth think you protest too much....
In any case, your prerogative to disagree with the premise, but by dragging out the very stereotypes that the post was trying to eliminate doesn't make your case more substantial. Sorry it offended you, truly.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-16-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
ElGreco53 (11-17-2017), Rebel Yell (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:27 PM
herman2p
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree with your post. Even if I hate chrome wheels and automatics.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Just remember you will be the same way someday or die young.
Rebel Yell (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I'm on board with all of these except the lawn chair thing.

That kills me. Get off your keister and go talk to people. Walk around and meet some new folks. Don't just sit on your butt behind your car waiting to talk about your car. Be part of the community.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Old 11-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=jimmyb;1595982601]Watkins Glen Gray is somewhat close to Cyber, until you see them side by side. Then you notice how much blue is in Cyber Gray

Cyber Gray is on the left:

I rest my case!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Long live the Corvette's! The machined wheels look great on the C7's .
Put these on my Z's the wheels are getting swapped then I'll put the power stops on the 2017.

Attached Images    

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-16-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I don't want to make this a rant, it will probably come across that way anyhow.

I am continually surprised and saddened by the tone on this Forum. Folks buy Corvettes for many reasons, but a very vocal group has appointed themselves the keepers of HOW a Corvette owner should:
1. Spec HIS/HER car.
2. What HE/SHE should DO with THEIR Corvette.

In no particular order, here are the never ending burrs under the self appointed KING'S saddles:
1. Chrome wheels: Holy cow, how can so many people find this SO offensive? Don't like chrome wheels? Fine, DON'T order them. If someone else LIKES them and it is, THEIR CAR, why is this a problem? And why cover your dislike/hatred AD NAUSEUM. We got the first time, really.
2. Convertibles: This one is near and dear to me because all 5 of my Corvettes have been convertibles. There is some kind of macho thing going on here that's really laughable. Since one can't track a convertible, these tough guys consider the convertible a poser car. Never mind the fact that probably 95% of these keyboard warriors DON'T track their coupes (assuming they even OWN a Corvette rather than a Civic with a rear wing).
3. Convertible Part 2: GM is going to offer a ZR1 convertible....you would think they're clubbing baby seals with the outcry. A handy reminder: Ferrari offers every "special" mid-engine V8 car in convertible (see 16M for example). So, it's OK for Ferrari, but GM is diluting the "purpose" of the ZR1 or whatever silly reason for this hissy fit. There was the same outcry, probably from the same guys, when they offered a Z06 convertible.
4. Manual verses automatic: This is a great one. Basically, REAL men buy manuals, waxers buy autos. Of course, that's patently WRONG but what the hell. All Ferraris since 2011 have been automatics, BTW. Ditto McLaren, but they don't count because they're DCT's. Pretty sure if a transmission will shift itself, regardless of design, it's an AUTOMATIC.
5. Old guys, Corvettes, and how they use them: Well....I'm NOW an old guy...bought my first Corvette at age 40, now I'm closing in on 61. I suppose I should have the good taste to start buying Lexus'. This one perplexes me the most. An old guy buys a Corvette (with chrome wheels and an automatic!), enjoys his car on nice days, goes to Corvette shows (and Cars and Coffee), sits in a lawn chair and talks CARS with other folks that also love CARS. And he waxes his car (the shame!). You would think the guy is a mass murderer the way his kind are talked about here. I don't get it and sure as hell don't know who died and made the complainers KING FOR A DAY.

In the end, I love my Corvette as I have all of them. It brings a smile to my face and even after nearly four years of owning my C7, I STILL make up excuses to take it out for drive. Forums are great, opinions are (mostly) great...the problem with too many Corvette Forum opinions is that they are mean spirited and divisive. Don't like chrome wheels? Cool. Why slap someone around because they do?

This is a CORVETTE. Let's all just enjoy ours and appreciate that everyone is looking for something different in THEIR Corvette. We call these "choices".

Jimmy

PS. The +/- of the above Corvette, which I ordered, equipped EXACTLY the way I wanted it:

Minus:
Convertible
Non Z51

Plus:
No chrome wheels
Manual transmission

So, I guess I'm even....

PSS. I forgot the car has NPP. So, I'm cool by a score of 3 to 2!!!! Yay me.

PSSS. I put in an MGW shifter a week and a half ago....4 to 2....

PSSSS: It's lowered all the way (stock bolts) Man, 5 to 2....I'm closing in on REALLY cool.
I had to quote this so everyone reads it at least twice.

I'm tired of the chrome wheel threads. Some may find it odd that I'm the one who agree with this post because I'm always telling people what to think. But thinking and doing are not the same. If I could force people to be logical and open minded I would. But I'd never force somebody to spec a car a certain way, that's just crazy talk!
jimmyb (11-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view