Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
ROTFLMFAO. Just when I thought I'd seen it all. A group therapy, circle jerk thread for a "certain" group of owners. Priceless.
And a post like this is a counter circle jerk.

So what we have going on right now are two different circle jerks. It's going to be a huge mess to clean up when they are over. I feel sorry for the forum cleaning service.
The following users liked this post:
rikhek (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
2. Convertibles: This one is near and dear to me because all 5 of my Corvettes have been convertibles. There is some kind of macho thing going on here that's really laughable. Since one can't track a convertible, these tough guys consider the convertible a poser car. Never mind the fact that probably 95% of these keyboard warriors DON'T track their coupes (assuming they even OWN a Corvette rather than a Civic with a rear wing).

4. Manual verses automatic: This is a great one. Basically, REAL men buy manuals, waxers buy autos. Of course, that's patently WRONG but what the hell. All Ferraris since 2011 have been automatics, BTW. Ditto McLaren, but they don't count because they're DCT's. Pretty sure if a transmission will shift itself, regardless of design, it's an AUTOMATIC.
Good points. I came from a convertible car as my last. I actually considered the convertible Vette. I went with the coupe because the convertible just didn't look 'right' to me. I wouldn't bash you or any other owner on it because it is just a matter of preference. I prefer the look of the coupe, I don't feel it is superior. I do get mad when I realize after starting my drive that I could have removed the roof before hand, you can make that change on the fly...

Manual vs. auto is a tough one. I love banging gears and came from the old school mindset that the manual IS faster. I didn't even consider an auto when I bought my C7, it HAD to be a stick.

Call me jealous that you got the faster option. I just like rowing gears. I grew up in the mindset that a real sports car should have 3 pedals. It is getting to where manuals are the minority and may soon become extinct. I wouldn't bash anyone for buying the auto, or suffer a superiority complex over it.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

To the OP: why anyone is so concerned about what gets posted on Internet forums like this one always baffles me. First off, your car is beautiful. Second, I had chrome wheels on my first Corvette (a 2007 C6 I purchased nearly 3 years ago), I loved them. I was going to put chrome wheels on my 2017 C7 but it came with the black wheels and I've grown to love the black on red look of the car.

The first thing you have to realize is this- on one very basic level sports car ownership by men is a giant dick measuring contest and that pervades internet discussion forums of all sorts, but particularly sports cars. So take it with a MASSIVE grain of salt. And by all means, buy and drive the car you want.

Who CARES? I mean I could give a flying fark what anybody thinks of me, my car, etc. WhatEVER.

Carry on boys.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
OntarioOrangeC3 (11-18-2017), Rebel Yell (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I agree with who cares...to a point.

But, I am sad that this small group feels the need to turn everything into some internet big dick contest when we should just enjoy the car and the time in it.

In the end, I felt the need to write this manifesto. It was a RE-action on my part, not an ACtion. Most got it, a few didn't (but they never do....circle jerk, really?) because they KNOW they behaved badly, and can't muster the human skills to admit it and act like an adult. So, they attempt lame comedy to compensate for their insecurity.

I'm not willing to excuse bad behavior by professing thick skin. That's why bad behavior continues, unabated. If more folks man up and call someone acting like DB out, maybe, just maybe, they will grow up and see that this forum will be a LOT more enjoyable without the BS, which serves ZERO purpose.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-16-2017 at 11:00 PM.
tractman (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

This thread did give me a couple more names to add to my ignore list.
tractman (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Actually, I'm pretty certain that the naysayers are the younger crowd
Not necessarily...remember old Joe??

BTW, I love your machine faced wheels....always liked that design.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
And a post like this is a counter circle jerk.

So what we have going on right now are two different circle jerks. It's going to be a huge mess to clean up when they are over. I feel sorry for the forum cleaning service.
LOL. I don't care who ya are that's some funny chit right there!

True that. There's going to be nasty stuff everywhere on everything.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Not necessarily...remember old Joe??

BTW, I love your machine faced wheels....always liked that design.
On a serious note, did something happen to JoeC5? I haven't seen any posts from him in a while.

Thanks for the words on my wheels.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Amen to that

Great post. I too am astonished with how much bitching & whining goes on. It seems like 80% of the posts are people who want to wallow as victims. I owned two Corvettes and I couldn't be happier. I've never had a problem with either one, and they run like a cheetah.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Default Amen to that

Great post. I too am astonished with how much bitching & whining goes on. It seems like 80% of the posts are people who want to wallow as victims. I owned two Corvettes and I couldn't be happier. I've never had a problem with either one, and they run like a cheetah. Out.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

My Z06 drop top is a daily driver for the most part. Today I'm taking the trike to work. Close to 80* and sunny. My biggest issue is my lower back. I'm hoping the physical therapy will help. I do not relish the idea of having to give it up. I'm only 72
Old 11-17-2017, 08:24 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Default Amen to that!

I don't want to make this a rant, it will probably come across that way anyhow.

I am continually surprised and saddened by the tone on this Forum. Folks buy Corvettes for many reasons, but a very vocal group has appointed themselves the keepers of HOW a Corvette owner should:
1. Spec HIS/HER car.
2. What HE/SHE should DO with THEIR Corvette.

In no particular order, here are the never ending burrs under the self appointed KING'S saddles:
1. Chrome wheels: Holy cow, how can so many people find this SO offensive? Don't like chrome wheels? Fine, DON'T order them. If someone else LIKES them and it is, THEIR CAR, why is this a problem? And why cover your dislike/hatred AD NAUSEUM. We got the first time, really.
2. Convertibles: This one is near and dear to me because all 5 of my Corvettes have been convertibles. There is some kind of macho thing going on here that's really laughable. Since one can't track a convertible, these tough guys consider the convertible a poser car. Never mind the fact that probably 95% of these keyboard warriors DON'T track their coupes (assuming they even OWN a Corvette rather than a Civic with a rear wing).
3. Convertible Part 2: GM is going to offer a ZR1 convertible....you would think they're clubbing baby seals with the outcry. A handy reminder: Ferrari offers every "special" mid-engine V8 car in convertible (see 16M for example). So, it's OK for Ferrari, but GM is diluting the "purpose" of the ZR1 or whatever silly reason for this hissy fit. There was the same outcry, probably from the same guys, when they offered a Z06 convertible.
4. Manual verses automatic: This is a great one. Basically, REAL men buy manuals, waxers buy autos. Of course, that's patently WRONG but what the hell. All Ferraris since 2011 have been automatics, BTW. Ditto McLaren, but they don't count because they're DCT's. Pretty sure if a transmission will shift itself, regardless of design, it's an AUTOMATIC.
5. Old guys, Corvettes, and how they use them: Well....I'm NOW an old guy...bought my first Corvette at age 40, now I'm closing in on 61. I suppose I should have the good taste to start buying Lexus'. This one perplexes me the most. An old guy buys a Corvette (with chrome wheels and an automatic!), enjoys his car on nice days, goes to Corvette shows (and Cars and Coffee), sits in a lawn chair and talks CARS with other folks that also love CARS. And he waxes his car (the shame!). You would think the guy is a mass murderer the way his kind are talked about here. I don't get it and sure as hell don't know who died and made the complainers KING FOR A DAY.

In the end, I love my Corvette as I have all of them. It brings a smile to my face and even after nearly four years of owning my C7, I STILL make up excuses to take it out for drive. Forums are great, opinions are (mostly) great...the problem with too many Corvette Forum opinions is that they are mean spirited and divisive. Don't like chrome wheels? Cool. Why slap someone around because they do?

This is a CORVETTE. Let's all just enjoy ours and appreciate that everyone is looking for something different in THEIR Corvette. We call these "choices".

Jimmy

PS. The +/- of the above Corvette, which I ordered, equipped EXACTLY the way I wanted it:

Minus:
Convertible
Non Z51

Plus:
No chrome wheels
Manual transmission

So, I guess I'm even....

PSS. I forgot the car has NPP. So, I'm cool by a score of 3 to 2!!!! Yay me.

PSSS. I put in an MGW shifter a week and a half ago....4 to 2....

PSSSS: It's lowered all the way (stock bolts) Man, 5 to 2....I'm closing in on REALLY cool.
I'm astonished by how many whiners there are on the site. It seems like a lot of people just want to be victims. I've owned two Corvettes and they've been perfect. Have tracked both of them, I drive em clean or dirty and I just frickin' enjoy them!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Coupes are for chickens, Convertibles forever, anyone wanna fight?
LT1 Z51 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2

Careful, someone on here may challenge you to a duel, ..... handbags at 20 paces. And they'd win, since they have so much experience at it.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 AM
BlueFinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I hate people who complain about people complaining about people who complain about people complaining about people!
John
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueFinn:
LT1 Z51 (11-17-2017), MikeyTX (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 AM
crapthatsloud
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If your name is on the title, I'm fairly sure you can do whatever you want with your own car.

Also the advent of the high-tech performance automatic trans has made the manual vs auto strictly about preference, really. I am a card carrying track-day-bro, and I've always driven cars with MTs. I would not think for a second that my C7s A8 would dampen the experience on track at all. When you're on it it bangs off really fast shifts like a champ and asks for more. So yes it seems to be all about dick-measuring.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

On a serious note, did something happen to JoeC5? I haven't seen any posts from him in a while.

Thanks for the words on my wheels.
I think he was given a time out at banned camp. Things have been generally more civil since his departure.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view

Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

that was great!! thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

I see similar behavior with the Harley riders. There are some of the "old school" Harley guys who think that if you don't ride in the rain, sleet and snow you are not a "real" biker. Whether its Harleys or Corvettes, the whole point is to have fun and savor the experience. I can't do that if I'm cold and miserable on two wheels so I am definitely a fair weather biker.

BTW, I have chrome wheels on my C6 and they look great, and I have machine face wheels on my '17 GS (both manual trans). Free choice is one of the great joys of living in the USA.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by hope2
I'll meet you at Car and Coffee, first Saturday in December.

Murses at 20 paces.....

Quick Reply: Corvette ownership. A long time owner's view