Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Front Splitter ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grand Sport Front Splitter ?

Ok, So I need to get a stage 3 front splitter and stage 3 winglets for my 2017 Grand Sport in Carbon Flash. So my question is who has these things in stock so as I don't have to wait an eternity to receive it after I place the order. Or am I just asking to much of these vendors? I have called around to many vendors and get pretty much the same answer.
Thanks for all your help
Pete
Purple Heart Recipient

Last edited by Z06pete; 11-16-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM
bradt088
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06pete
Ok, So I need to get a stage 3 front splitter and stage 3 winglets for my 2017 Grand Sport in Carbon Flash. So my question is who has these things in stock so as I don't have to wait an eternity to receive it after I place the order. Or am I just asking to much of these vendors? I have called around to many vendors and get pretty much the same answer.
Thanks for all your help
Pete
Purple Heart Recipient
I ordered a stage 2 splitter from 2 different vendors. The quality was terrible. I had to send them both back. Guys on this forum were telling me to take a dremel to the splitter to slot the holes because they did not line up. I am going to order from Cultrag or GM. Cultrag has OEM parts. If you want quality take it from my bad experiences, the wait may be longer and the part may cost more but if you want it to look good buy an OEM. The only quality after market splitters that I have seen are carbon fiber...I have a posting with how bad the splitter looks.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bradt088
I ordered a stage 2 splitter from 2 different vendors. The quality was terrible. I had to send them both back. Guys on this forum were telling me to take a dremel to the splitter to slot the holes because they did not line up. I am going to order from Cultrag or GM. Cultrag has OEM parts. If you want quality take it from my bad experiences, the wait may be longer and the part may cost more but if you want it to look good buy an OEM. The only quality after market splitters that I have seen are carbon fiber...I have a posting with how bad the splitter looks.
Was one of the vendors C7 Carbon by any chance? I am actually considering a splitter/ side skirt package from them.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM
bradt088
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Inferno18
Was one of the vendors C7 Carbon by any chance? I am actually considering a splitter/ side skirt package from them.
No not from C7 Carbon, but again I am not sure of the quality from aftermarket now...I am all done taking chances. If my car was a daily or a beater it would be one thing but being that it is my dream car, I can't stand to have a rough looking piece of fiberglass thrown onto it...

Last edited by bradt088; 11-16-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I would reccomend APSIS they seem to make really good stuff but it is expensive but as they say you get what you pay for.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:09 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 604 Likes on 408 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

We have exact replica of stage 3 splitter including the winglets and absolutely you WON'T have fitment issue with our parts. Once you install our parts to your car it will look exactly like you get from factory. The color matches perfectly to factory carbon flash.

We have in stock so we can ship immediately.

Right now we are running Black Friday on forum at $898/package. Check it out our thread. Here is the link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...her-parts.html
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
bradt088
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by apsisusa
We have exact replica of stage 3 splitter including the winglets and absolutely you WON'T have fitment issue with our parts. Once you install our parts to your car it will look exactly like you get from factory. The color matches perfectly to factory carbon flash.

We have in stock so we can ship immediately.

Right now we are running Black Friday on forum at $898/package. Check it out our thread. Here is the link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...her-parts.html
Do you have any pictures of the top and bottom?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 PM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Do you have any pictures of the top and bottom?
These are the pictures we have installed on Laguna Blue but no pictures from bottom.

Basically it's EXACTLY the same as GM's parts so it looks EXACTLY the same as what on the car from GM.

Here are the pictures.

Last edited by apsisusa; 11-16-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought the complete Stage 3 kit from Apsis USA and I am completely happy with the product and customer service. The carbon fiber was awesome and the fit perfect. The only thing I didn't use was the hardware and sourced my own. I bought my 17 GS with the poverty splitters and the only thing you have to buy is the air deflector from GM which retails for about $150 or less on eBay. But be forewarned, your front splitter will be much more prone to driveway scrapes and damage. I ended up buying the Protek skid plates and now should I go up or down a driveway and hear a scrape, I don't cringe so much lol. Even on my low profile race ramps (10 degree slope) the front splitter will not clear and I had to buy the extension (6 degree slope). I also wrapped my Aero in Xpel as these CF bits are somewhat fragile. But I have to say, it does look so cool. Good luck.
Attached Images      
DWS44 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 AM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Gearbox22
I bought the complete Stage 3 kit from Apsis USA and I am completely happy with the product and customer service. The carbon fiber was awesome and the fit perfect. The only thing I didn't use was the hardware and sourced my own. I bought my 17 GS with the poverty splitters and the only thing you have to buy is the air deflector from GM which retails for about $150 or less on eBay. But be forewarned, your front splitter will be much more prone to driveway scrapes and damage. I ended up buying the Protek skid plates and now should I go up or down a driveway and hear a scrape, I don't cringe so much lol. Even on my low profile race ramps (10 degree slope) the front splitter will not clear and I had to buy the extension (6 degree slope). I also wrapped my Aero in Xpel as these CF bits are somewhat fragile. But I have to say, it does look so cool. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the thumb up about our products.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Mark Maple
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

I have had good experiences with multiple orders from C7 Carbon.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

APSIS USA, I have their items on my Z, perfect fit, but as other say, expensive.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:48 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought the complete Stage 3 kit from Apsis USA... I bought my 17 GS with the poverty splitters
How hard did you find it to remove the rivets holding on the factory poverty splitter? Did you go back with the same style rivets while installing your Stage 3? I have been considering a Stage 2 splitter and the Apsis sale is pretty tempting, but I've never had a need to remove or install metal rivets before.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWS44
How hard did you find it to remove the rivets holding on the factory poverty splitter? Did you go back with the same style rivets while installing your Stage 3? I have been considering a Stage 2 splitter and the Apsis sale is pretty tempting, but I've never had a need to remove or install metal rivets before.
The splitter is held on by several aluminum rivets and there are some screws as well (see pic). Use a 1/4" drill bit and drill off the heads, and since they are aluminum, they pop off fairly easily. I originally intended to buy the hardware from GM, but they wanted 6 bucks a piece for them and found the same ones, but in silver, from McMaster Carr for 10 bucks for a 50 count box. After you get the new splitter on, and if you had a poverty splitter like I had, you will have to get a new air deflector from GM part #23163400, which you can get off eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-FRON...53.m1438.l2649 for under $150. This requires "U" nuts and screws. I used 1/4-20 flat head screws that I found on Amazon that was the perfect size for the countersunk cups on the Protek Skid Plates
Amazon Amazon
. The "U" nuts slide onto the splitter and have some play, so the hardest part was getting the entire row of 22 screws to line up correctly, but by using an awls (sharp pointy tool) I was able to easily move the U nuts on the splitter around to line them up with the air deflector holes. Hope this helps and good luck, Allan
Attached Images     

Last edited by Gearbox22; 11-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
DWS44 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I am confused about the air deflector. I have installed other stage 2 splitter and had no problems. The splitters I installed did not have an undertray though. Do the air deflectors mount in a different spot. My ZO6 came with the poverty splitter.

Last edited by Mick14; 11-17-2017 at 04:51 PM.
larrywalk (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The splitter is held on by several aluminum rivets and there are some screws as well (see pic). Use a 1/4" drill bit and drill off the heads, and since they are aluminum, they pop off fairly easily. I originally intended to buy the hardware from GM, but they wanted 6 bucks a piece for them and found the same ones, but in silver, from McMaster Carr for 10 bucks for a 50 count box. After you get the new splitter on, and if you had a poverty splitter like I had, you will have to get a new air deflector from GM part #23163400, which you can get off eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-FRON...53.m1438.l2649 for under $150. This requires "U" nuts and screws. I used 1/4-20 flat head screws that I found on Amazon that was the perfect size for the countersunk cups on the Protek Skid Plates https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The "U" nuts slide onto the splitter and have some play, so the hardest part was getting the entire row of 22 screws to line up correctly, but by using an awls (sharp pointy tool) I was able to easily move the U nuts on the splitter around to line them up with the air deflector holes. Hope this helps and good luck, Allan
Thanks for the great info, I have a couple questions. Does the Chevrolet part number you quote in you message fit a 2017 Grand Sport. Could you pointl me to the URL for the Bolts and blind nuts on the McMaster site?
Thanks for your help.
Pete
Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

One other question I had...while installing the new splitter, is there any reason you couldn't go back with the regular plastic push-in type rivets in place of the metal ones?

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Front Splitter ?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mick14
I am confused about the air deflector. I have installed other stage 2 splitter and had no problems. The splitters I installed did not have an undertray though. Do the air deflectors mount in a different spot. My ZO6 came with the poverty splitter.
The poverty splitter uses a smaller unit that only covers the central part of the splitter. As you can see from the first pic below, the top is from the poverty splitter and the lower is the stage 2/3. The front mounts onto the splitter and the rear mounts using the screws used for the rubber air dam that always drags on driveways. You remove the poverty air deflector and replace it with the new part. BTW, the center rubber dam should not be used on Grand Sports with any splitter configuration, only the two side rubber dams are used as per GM tech, but these are shipped to the dealer for them to install so many Grand Sports/Z06's delivered had them incorrectly installed by dealers who didn't know better. But anyway, the Stage 2/3 splitter will have these tabs that stick out under the the splitter, this is where the "U" nuts are installed, 22 of them, and where the air deflector screws into. What the new air deflector does is to completely cover/seal the front of the splitter and tie it in with the flat bottom of the car. This helps the splitter to maximize down force and smooth out the airflow under the car. All race cars and most high end exotics have completely flat bottoms for this reason. If you can see from the second pic, it also deflects airflow to the front brakes. So, it is an integral part of the system for ground effects, cooling, as well as stiffening the Stage 2/3 splitter.

Also note the gap between the air deflector and the splitter on the second pic (not my car) this is caused by a improperly aligned U nut. If you just install the air deflector loosely and start tightening from the center out, you can eliminate these gaps by moving the U nut with a thin phillips screwdriver or awl. Yeah, I know, I have issues
Attached Images    

Last edited by Gearbox22; 11-17-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Mick14 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06pete
Thanks for the great info, I have a couple questions. Does the Chevrolet part number you quote in you message fit a 2017 Grand Sport. Could you pointl me to the URL for the Bolts and blind nuts on the McMaster site?
Thanks for your help.
Pete
Yes the part is for any C7 using the Stage 2 or 3 splitter, and what I have is a 17 GS as well. When I installed mine, not much information was out there, so I kind of snuck up on it going down some incorrect paths. The U nuts I used was from Amazon that came in a kit of 10 with 1/4-20 screws (first link), I found the remaining 2 U-nuts at the local Pep Boys under the Dorman brand. But the screws in the kit were too long and would have protruded through the top of the splitter if fully tightened. So, I bought these 9/16" allen heads (second link). The only issue you have to watch out for is the screws on the two protrusions that stick out forward on the splitter on both sides of the grill as the clearance gets very tight. Just make sure the screws do not touch the upper part of the splitter, and if they do, shim it with some washers. But I do recommend getting the ProTek skid plates for the stage 2/3, especially if you get real Carbon Fiber. Not only does it protect the splitter, but it reinforces it, making the entire assembly that much more robust. If so, then I switched over to these stainless screws I found on Amazon (third link) the heads fit perfectly into the countersunk holes of the Protek as you can see on my previous post. You can also get the U nuts from McMaster ( forth link) Remember, you will need 22 of them. Good luck with the project, Allan

First Link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second Link
https://www.mcmaster.com/#91255a524/=1aax49g

Third Link
Amazon Amazon

Forth Link
https://www.mcmaster.com/#94850a129/=1aax53x

Last edited by Gearbox22; 11-17-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Z06pete (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWS44
One other question I had...while installing the new splitter, is there any reason you couldn't go back with the regular plastic push-in type rivets in place of the metal ones?
I didn't have any plastic rivets on my car as I recall (maybe changed for 2017?), rather all aluminum. After drilling out the front splitter rivets, I did notice that they were like wall anchors where the barrel collapsed into a flower like form, but the rivet size was the same as my side skirts and I had already bought a box, so I used them. If you can source those rivets, by all means use them. Also, the 1/4-20 screws I used was a bit of overkill, I think GM used sheet metal screws #8 or #10, but I like the mechanical grip of machine screws better, so maybe 10-24? Again, I wasn't able to find a definitive "how to" when I did my project, so it was a bit of groping around in the dark But at the end, I was happy the way it turned out. Good luck Allan

BTW, just be careful on jacking up the car and putting it on jack stands. I was uncomfortable with the jack stand locations and even jacking up the car with those teflon pucks tended to make the car squirm around a bit, especially when you are doing both sides. I ended up buying a set of race ramps and then having to buy the extenders as the new splitter required a lower slope to drive on and off. But I love buying car stuff Yeah, it's a sickness.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Gearbox22; 11-17-2017 at 11:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gearbox22:
DWS44 (11-18-2017), Z06pete (11-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Front Splitter ?