Sponsored by:

Storage Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Default Storage Oil Change

I see it typed here often:Changed oil before storage.Make sure you change your oil now before it goes to bed!
Pertaining to Unheated Storage Area's ONLY
I say:Hogwash,.
Why Change?
Moisture kills your oil.If your area is unheated.You will have condensation issues.
I see it on my Motorcycle.If not heated.When it goes from freezing at nite,then warms during the day.The bike looks like it was left out side in the rain...Soaked
Same thing happens to your cars oil in the pan and tank.
Temp changes in a closed in area.Multiplies Condensation.Starting the car,let idle then shut-off...Worse
So i say Why, Have your New Oil be prone to this Condensation Bath?
Yes when you start up it burns the moisture off.True But storage is time.More time,more condensation,more moisture.
Another BS Line: Why leave old (contaminated)oil in during storage? The acids with this, and that will eat your engine.Anyone seen proof of this? Any photo's of this Ungodly eating of your Engine Block.
Car will get Brand New oil as soon as The SALT leaves the Roads.
Obviously if your car stay's Warm and Toasty Tires and Oil Temps won't be a issue.
Mobile 1
https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...into-motor-oil
So why Contaminate your New Oil with Moisture?
In Closing:

Hate this ****!! Can't move,Yet

Last edited by DALE#3; 11-17-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Im an hour south of Boston and deal with the same thing.
DALE#3 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I'm surprised hate comments have not flooded this thread yet, but I agree with you OP. Been storing for winters since 2011, so I may not have as much experience as others, but I simply don't get the fresh oil before storage concept, especially when by storage time, it still shows 60%+ oil life. I'm much more worried about moisture than acid breakdown during only 5 months of storage. But hey, do what makes you happy
DALE#3 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I'm surprised hate comments have not flooded this thread yet, but I agree with you OP.
Me too.Appreciate the positive.I'm not feeling liked here anyway.BOO HOO .My ASSHAT Past isn't received well.All kinds of readers and no posts.No problem.We are just keyboards here trying to help each other? Until the Handshake
Hopefully i helped some of over 100 readers not dumping good enough oil for storage?

Last edited by DALE#3; 11-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DALE#3:
LT4CMG (11-18-2017), Skid Row Joe (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Same thing goes for the gas in your tank. Condensation will cause water to form in your tank.
I go through this BS every year with storing my boat. I don't top off the tank like everyone says to do, I just add Stabil and never had a problem. Why start the season off with OLD gas.
DALE#3 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I stored this car for 15 years in cold Michigan winters, changed the oil prior to storage and didn't add any gas additives. The car was stored in a snowbirds unheated garage and every spring it started without issues. No engine issues either. I believe the secret is to park it and leave it alone, no warming up by idling in the garage. Many C2 owners in cold climates do the same.
Rick

jimmie jam (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

That looks like Memorial Park in the background where we park for the Chevy dealers cruise every year. BTW, that is one gorgeous C2 Rick
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
That looks like Memorial Park in the background where we park for the Chevy dealers cruise every year. BTW, that is one gorgeous C2 Rick
Yep, taken a few days before Dream Cruise in the Northwood lot last year. Thanks, the car now resides in L.A. but it was pure 15 years of fun.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Holy sh*t, Dale! Is this y'alls first snowfall up there this Fall?!

I say, go with #2. Put your C7 to bed with that used/dirty oil - then change both oil & filter before starting in the Spring!

Cr@p! It was 81* here in Dallas, Texas today.....I'm headed to Houston Thanksgiving Day to pick up my new 2017 C7 vert, bright and early Friday morning! Summer tires on it, too!

FWIW, you need to keep the storage garage for your C7 free of standing water, and salt in the air from other cars. Or you will get corrosion/rust on aluminum engine parts and more!
What you need is a dry, LOW or NO humidity in the air storage garage, Dale!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-17-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Great news, Joe. Congrats!
Skid Row Joe (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Great news, Joe. Congrats!
Thanks, Foosh!

It was just a beautiful car to me I ran across. It lacks two things I'd of ordered on it, (NPP Exhaust & Red calipers) - but, none of the biggies to me did I have to compromise on. I'm real conservative, and so I love the Arctic White. I climbed up in the bed of a new Chevy pickup to take a few pics at nightfall last Friday in Houston (avatar) after agreeing in principle to the discount on it agreed to. Deposit last Saturday.

2017 vert
Arctic White/BLK top/Jet Black interior / standard seats
3LT
Base engine
M7
FE2 - MSRC!!!!!! Z51 spoiler
BLK wheels
Crossed Flag wheel centers
35% window tint - dealer installed - looks acceptably lightly tinted to me.

*Sorry, Dale#3 for gushing to Foosh about the new C7 vert I put a deposit on.....

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-18-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Dale#3...I do the same thing and change mine after winter hibernation. When I put it into storage, the oil life is still typically in decent shape so as it hibernates, the oil monitor is still going to show a decline in oil life. I would rather the old oil be declining during hibernation rather than the new.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:26 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ricks327
I stored this car for 15 years in cold Michigan winters, changed the oil prior to storage
Bad Habits can be broken.Just Bustin..Your call.Your new oil to start the driving season has moisture in it.Is it enough to harm engine? Why add it if it can be avoided? Personal belief and habits are what makes a forum interesting.Some believe you,some me.Like Chrome and Black

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Holy sh*t, Dale! Is this y'alls first snowfall up there this Fall?!

I say, go with #2. Put your C7 to bed with that used/dirty oil - then change both oil & filter before starting in the Spring!
No Sir on the Snow fall.That was a File Photo.
Did you start a thread about your new baby.You should we need to party

Originally Posted by lakemg
Dale#3...I do the same thing and change mine after winter hibernation. When I put it into storage, the oil life is still typically in decent shape so as it hibernates, the oil monitor is still going to show a decline in oil life. I would rather the old oil be declining during hibernation rather than the new.
Yea Buddy,It's really Common Sense.Why add moisture (contamination)To New Oil?

Last edited by DALE#3; 11-18-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Skid Row Joe (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

You guys do realize that any moisture in your oil will evaporate/burn off the very first time you drive the car and get the oil hot don't you? It's not like moisture stays there forever. And moisture gets into your oil during the warmup period every time you start the car too.

If you shut your engine down (prior to storage) and it was driven for a long time, no significant moisture should get into the oil. It's not like the morning dew that forms on the outside of things, that same thing does not happen inside the engine during winter storage (and even if it did, like I said, it gets removed the very first time you get the oil hot, you don't need to change it in order to get rid of it, that's like throwing away your clothes just because they are dirty)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patman
You guys do realize that any moisture in your oil will evaporate/burn off the very first time you drive the car and get the oil hot don't you?
If Your talking daily and or short term.You would be right.A 3 or 4 month storage has a ton of different temp changes.Not dead of winter But,Early winter and Spring look out.
You could add a block heater.That would cut down on the condensation.
Why harm your New oil at all? If you don't have to.
Brings up another (I think)Stupid belief.Why are you draining all,ALL oil out of the pan.Leave some in their,it won't hurt anything.Been doing that for years...HA,Whatever.Not mine
Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

In my case a oil change right before storage works out quite well.

I live in Northern NY and my Vette drive season is about 6 months. Normal for me is about 3-5,000 miles in the year time between storage/oil changes. I fulfill the warranty items of once a year. ( Its done at dealer) and my car is in a unheated but has never goes below 40 degrees in my under house garage. Most of the storage times its closer to 48-50 degrees as heat from the basement part does make it into garage!

I have worked in a garage/speed shop for years and did plenty of my own work and have many hundred oil changes under my belt but at age 72 with so so health including bad back and knees its much easier to let a GOOD dealer do my work. Have credit card will use it! Apologies Paladin

Get notified of new replies

To Storage Oil Change

Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
If Your talking daily and or short term.You would be right.A 3 or 4 month storage has a ton of different temp changes.Not dead of winter But,Early winter and Spring look out.
You could add a block heater.That would cut down on the condensation.
Why harm your New oil at all? If you don't have to.

You're still not quite getting it though. You are not harming that new oil whatsoever by leaving it there during those 3-4 months. New oil, old oil, it doesn't matter if any moisture gets in there because it's going to be burned off after the first drive. So why store it with old oil that has other contamination in it (such as traces of fuel, acids etc), don't you worry more about that than a tiny bit of moisture?

It's really not a hard concept, put the car away with fresh oil so that oil is not going to cause any potential problems. Then in the spring, IF there is any significant moisture in the oil (which there won't be) then it gets burned off right away and isn't going to be "stuck" in your oil until oil change time.

Brings up another (I think)Stupid belief.Why are you draining all,ALL oil out of the pan.Leave some in their,it won't hurt anything.Been doing that for years...HA,Whatever.Not mine
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here? Are you telling people to leave oil in the pan? Or telling them not to? Or are you referring to people like me who use ramps so that a small amount of the old oil ends up left behind? (which isn't a big deal, don't forget you're always going to have old oil left behind, at least a half quart stays behind in the heads)

I feel like these discussions always go nowhere, people ask for advice but really don't want to change the way they always do things...
Steve_R (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I am just thinking out loud here, so please don't beat me up.

It is not the old oil stored for months in the pan or sump that causes any trouble. It is everything inside the engine that the old oil touched the last time it was pumped through the engine. Whatever contaminants are in the oil are left where they cling as the oil drains and dissipates while the car is sitting, and the additives/detergents in the old oil have lost some of their effectiveness in removing and capturing the impurities. It would seem to me that flushing the entire internal engine with fresh, clean oil before putting it away makes sense.

Not much different than washing the outside of the car before putting it away, and we certainly do not rinse it with dirty water.

All that being said, I still park the car with the old oil if the OLM reads above 60%.
Patman (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:27 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default It’s geen

Originally Posted by ricks327
I stored this car for 15 years in cold Michigan winters, changed the oil prior to storage and didn't add any gas additives. The car was stored in a snowbirds unheated garage and every spring it started without issues. No engine issues either. I believe the secret is to park it and leave it alone, no warming up by idling in the garage. Many C2 owners in cold climates do the same.
Rick

Hello Rick
What a great looking car.
Very nice. Very.

Quick Reply: Storage Oil Change