Sponsored by:

End of chrome wheel discussion-see this picture-new C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
This post was more about posting a picture of a new car than trying to start a war. Many people post their new car and everybody says "congrats" or "looks great" or something similar. Doing that is a form of bragging and is somewhat arrogant but this is the place to do it. We all have a common interest and we like to see photos of colors, options and backdrops. If we don't, we won't click on these and will stick to mechanical and performance based titles.
I just thought my wheels looked good in that picture. I bought a leftover '17 and if it had black or machined wheels, I would have posted a picture and bragged about it also. I can't say I hate any wheel color or style. My 54 year old eyes happen to find chrome very desirable. It's the brake dust I hate!
The fact that this thread has almost 10,000 views and 240 posts is evident that the topic is of interest to members and most replys have been fun and positive. I will confirm here that no negativity or put down of other opinions was intended.
We should all let this post die before it goes Sticky!! Kidding. Good day everybody.
And, judging by all the "Thanks' on that original post, a ton of us were in agreement.... welcome aboard this "Ship of Fools" we call a Forum. We do share one obvious thing.... Red, Black or whatever color.... wheels....black or shiny... we all love our Corvettes and take immense pride in them... I know I do!!...LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 11-26-2017 at 09:05 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by lennykoll:
gurneyeagle (11-26-2017), Jeffthunbird (11-26-2017), movinlow (01-18-2018), REZ1 (01-19-2018), robertbruce (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
This post was more about posting a picture of a new car than trying to start a war. Many people post their new car and everybody says "congrats" or "looks great" or something similar. Doing that is a form of bragging and is somewhat arrogant but this is the place to do it. We all have a common interest and we like to see photos of colors, options and backdrops. If we don't, we won't click on these and will stick to mechanical and performance based titles.
I just thought my wheels looked good in that picture. I bought a leftover '17 and if it had black or machined wheels, I would have posted a picture and bragged about it also. I can't say I hate any wheel color or style. My 54 year old eyes happen to find chrome very desirable. It's the brake dust I hate!
The fact that this thread has almost 10,000 views and 240 posts is evident that the topic is of interest to members and most replys have been fun and positive. I will confirm here that no negativity or put down of other opinions was intended.
We should all let this post die before it goes Sticky!! Kidding. Good day everybody.
Did you really think by starting your title with "End of Chrome Wheel Discussion"- 'see this picture- new C7' that the thread was going to take any other course? Especially considering the content of the other recent chrome/black wheel threads.

I don't believe posting photos of your new C7, or any C7 for that matter is bragging, but more showing your excitement and joy for your new C7 and the brand in general.
Posting photos of these beautiful C7s (chrome wheels or otherwise) has a positive impact on this forum and the Corvette community.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Jeffthunbird (11-26-2017), Torchsport (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Choices are a good thing. I prefer the gunmetal wheels option on the Z06 personally.

Just curious though - is there anyone here with chrome wheels under the age of 50? Just a demographical question.
Where's my Hawaiin shirt and chrome polish !?!?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
Where's my Hawaiin shirt and chrome polish !?!?
Look under your lawn chair!! Jus' Kidding!! ....LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 11-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Even the Children are debating.

This is for the Undecided
Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Default On a serious note....

Let me be serious for a moment.....

The demise of Chrome Wheels will probably be manufacturing issues vs. customer demand! Why do I say that..... well..... before my B to B ran out I detected that at least two of my Z51 chrome wheels had bubble/flake issues and, after closer examination at the dealer, we found all four factory wheels to be defective. It took several orders and a total of about 8 wheels to get FOUR that were initially defect free... on GM's dime not mine.

GOOD CHROME is hard to find..... just ask us C2 folks about bumpers etc. and how impossible it is to get really quality work done any more!! Thankfully I have a little Mom and Pop place us NCRS folks tend to use that still does top notch/lasting work, (had my C2 vent window frames done by them last year!)....I know.... "Hey Dad.... what IS a vent window?"..but perhaps GM is finding that even going offshore (Taiwan/China, etc.), quality control remains an issue. I think some of the aftermarket folks still do really good preparation/plating and probably will prosper as long as customers want the shine of chrome!!??

Me.... my C2 is Polished American Mags and my C7 is factory 5-spoke chrome..... but, like a beautiful woman, the first thing you look at ain't her shoes...... smile.... they all look fine despite the shoes they wear... or they don't!!....LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 11-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lennykoll:
Co-Vette (11-27-2017), DALE#3 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
Look under your lawn chair!! Jus' Kidding!! ....LK
See, that's funny
The following users liked this post:
lennykoll (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by lennykoll
Let me be serious for a moment.....

The demise of Chrome Wheels will probably be manufacturing issues vs. customer demand! Why do I say that..... well..... before my B to B ran out I detected that at least two of my Z51 chrome wheels had bubble/flake issues and, after closer examination at the dealer, we found all four factory wheels to be defective. It took several orders and a total of about 8 wheels to get FOUR that were initially defect free.

GOOD CHROME is hard to find..... just ask us C2 folks about bumpers etc. and how impossible it is to get really quality work done any more!! Thankfully I have a little Mom and Pop place us NCRS folks tend to use that still does top notch/lasting work, (had my vent window frames done by them last year!)....I know.... "Hey Dad.... what IS a vent window?"..but perhaps GM is finding that even going offshore (Taiwan/China, etc.), quality control remains an issue. I think some of the aftermarket folks still do really good preparation/plating and probably will prosper as long as customers want the shine of chrome!!??

Me.... my C2 is Polished American Mags and my C7 is factory 5-spoke chrome..... but, like a beautiful woman, the first thing you look at ain't her shoes...... smile.... they all look fine despite the shoes they wear... or they don't!!....LK
I'm sure the car manufacturers would love to see chrome go away, as it's a lot easier, cheaper, less warranty resolution and less environmental regulatory issues in manufacturing/providing chrome wheels than painted wheels.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Quality of Chrome Plating went right down into water tables years ago.The mineral Nickel ain't cheap and disposal is worse.It was a important part of plating to last.
Remember Crager SS Would last for years.No Chrome Plating lasts anymore.Not in the elements.Maybe in a heated garage with no rain driving days.Maybe.
I bet Chrome to last is to expensive to sell nowadays. Slow selling if it is more expensive than Black.I don't know the numbers of warranty Chrome Rims? I could be speculating a bit? If rumors are true on no more Chrome?
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm sure the car manufacturers would love to see chrome go away, as it's a lot easier, cheaper, less warranty resolution and less environmental regulatory issues in manufacturing/providing chrome wheels than painted wheels.
Lets get serious
After a while posts just start repeating themselves.Ever notice that?
All good just busting *****
Or some members just jump right in and say

Who does that?
Seriously: CHROME done right is to expensive.Especially selling from a mass produced car assembly line.
Harley Davidson Chrome has suffered over the yrs.Their going BLACK EVERYTHING.Yuck!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:51 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I like it.
DALE#3 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Did you really think by starting your title with "End of Chrome Wheel Discussion"- 'see this picture- new C7' that the thread was going to take any other course? Especially considering the content of the other recent chrome/black wheel threads.
"This post was more about posting a picture of a new car than trying to start a war"

Like Kevin said, What did you think would happen by wording your title like you did?

Now some have turned it into "My dad can beat up your dad."

We should take what Rodney King said after the 1992 L.A. riots: "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"
Jeffthunbird (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:39 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
"This post was more about posting a picture of a new car than trying to start a war"

Like Kevin said, What did you think would happen by wording your title like you did?

Now some have turned it into "My dad can beat up your dad."

We should take what Rodney King said after the 1992 L.A. riots: "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"
Here's My dad of late, drag radials & AFE doing some experimenting (idle launch).

I'LL TAKE THE "CHROME" MAN!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 11-26-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Torchsport (11-26-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Well, this thread has gone like every other black/chrome thread so far. No one is going to change another's opinion on this subject. That's expected, its based on a personal choice. I was interested in the trend and dug a little deeper to see how the 2 choices stack up.

Based on data I got from corvetteblogger.com in 2015, my MY, about 49% of Stingrays, all variants, were sold with black wheels of one style or another. 32.5% were sold with chrome wheels of one type or another. The remaining wheels were silver. The Z06s sold 53.8% black and 26.5% chrome. These percentages were given by the author of the page.

In 2017 the same source indicates 40% black and 30% chrome for the Stingrays, 59% black and 22% chrome for the GS, and a whopping 62% black and 22% chrome for the Z06. These percentages were my own calculations and may contain an error but are very close if not correct.

No doubt the black variants are by far more popular, as chrome once was. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the years. With GM selling as many chrome wheels as they do I doubt the end is near.

I noticed a few black wheel lovers wish to take away our freedom of choice for chrome wheels. Do you guys really want everyone to drive a car just like yours? On the one hand I guess its flattering believing the whole world thinks your choice is perfect. On the other hand it would be boring as hell. As for me, I'm happy there's so many black wheel lovers out there. Makes my chromies a bit more unique.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frodo:
DWillys (11-27-2017), ExRedRacer (11-27-2017), Fredtp (11-27-2017), lennykoll (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

Sticking with Black
The following 2 users liked this post by illmac77:
movinlow (01-18-2018), Stingray23 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frodo
Well, this thread has gone like every other black/chrome thread so far. No one is going to change another's opinion on this subject. That's expected, its based on a personal choice. I was interested in the trend and dug a little deeper to see how the 2 choices stack up.

Based on data I got from corvetteblogger.com in 2015, my MY, about 49% of Stingrays, all variants, were sold with black wheels of one style or another. 32.5% were sold with chrome wheels of one type or another. The remaining wheels were silver. The Z06s sold 53.8% black and 26.5% chrome. These percentages were given by the author of the page.

In 2017 the same source indicates 40% black and 30% chrome for the Stingrays, 59% black and 22% chrome for the GS, and a whopping 62% black and 22% chrome for the Z06. These percentages were my own calculations and may contain an error but are very close if not correct.

No doubt the black variants are by far more popular, as chrome once was. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the years. With GM selling as many chrome wheels as they do I doubt the end is near.

I noticed a few black wheel lovers wish to take away our freedom of choice for chrome wheels. Do you guys really want everyone to drive a car just like yours? On the one hand I guess its flattering believing the whole world thinks your choice is perfect. On the other hand it would be boring as hell. As for me, I'm happy there's so many black wheel lovers out there. Makes my chromies a bit more unique.
Good info!
I find it interesting that more C7s are produced with black wheels than chrome, however if you look at the recent wheel threads here, the majority of posters prefer chrome. See the results below from the thread I started not long ago. And from the looks of this thread chrome wheel fans far out number black wheel fans.

It would be interesting to see a chrome vs black comparison between 'special order' C7s.

Not according a recent thread here where chrome wheels were the most popular choice by a substantial margin.
Actually, I don't believe they have ever been out of style though have had ups and down in popularity over the years.

Final Count:
Chrome = 33
Black = 24
Silver Aluminum = 21
Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Well, I'm one of the special order chromies. Museum delivery, too.
Fredtp (11-29-2017)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Chromies and manual transmissions until death do us part.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Iconic:
movinlow (01-18-2018), Torchsport (01-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To End of chrome wheel discussion-see this picture-new C7

Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 AM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
Sick car!!
Iconic (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:22 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by US Icon
Gorgeous!
Iconic (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:24 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC17
I find it humorous (and a little sad) how many people seem to want to foist their opinion on others. Can we agree that all of our cars look great and that different people have different preferences??
But you're foisting your opinion on us that all of our cars look great...

Quick Reply: End of chrome wheel discussion-see this picture-new C7