Sponsored by:

Torque converter troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
They haven't done a recall because for GM it's economics. Cheaper to cover those that fail then replacing every TC out there.
Would have to be a really big problem before a recall. Robert
Old 11-20-2017, 01:32 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

This provides an excellent opportunity to see if "New GM" has become very short-sighted. Old GM would have extended the warranty on these as they did on many issues of the past (6.5 diesel injection pump driver, early Duramax injectors, 3.6 timing chains and tensioners, etc.).

Putting a flawed system on the market is bad act number one but excusable because things happen. Not providing an extended warranty to cover a clear manufacturer mistake is inexcusable and the sort of thing that drives customers to other brands which are all clamoring to gain share. The Corvette converter failures are small potatoes compared to the number of failures across the lines because the 8L90 (and lower torque rated 8L45) are used in a very large number of GM platform/powertrain combinations many of which utilize the same flawed AFM reduced NVH strategy.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Does customer service still monitor our forum ? Sure wish they would chime in on the problem but G M might have quieted them down on the forum!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by tmd937
Does customer service still monitor our forum ? Sure wish they would chime in on the problem but G M might have quieted them down on the forum!
Don't think we will hear from GM on this issue in this forum. Every TC replacement is costing them thousands of dollars. I see this issue as a big negative for used Corvettes down the road. I know I'm dumping mine before my warranty expires.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Can the flush be done in a day or do I need to plan to leave it over night?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Don't think we will hear from GM on this issue in this forum. Every TC replacement is costing them thousands of dollars. I see this issue as a big negative for used Corvettes down the road. I know I'm dumping mine before my warranty expires.
That is what I am thinking to . I have until Feb of 2019 before my 36 months warranty runs out ! I will either get an extended warrany before then or sell the vette! Very sad as this is my tenth vette!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
This provides an excellent opportunity to see if "New GM" has become very short-sighted. Old GM would have extended the warranty on these as they did on many issues of the past (6.5 diesel injection pump driver, early Duramax injectors, 3.6 timing chains and tensioners, etc.).

Putting a flawed system on the market is bad act number one but excusable because things happen. Not providing an extended warranty to cover a clear manufacturer mistake is inexcusable and the sort of thing that drives customers to other brands which are all clamoring to gain share. The Corvette converter failures are small potatoes compared to the number of failures across the lines because the 8L90 (and lower torque rated 8L45) are used in a very large number of GM platform/powertrain combinations many of which utilize the same flawed AFM reduced NVH strategy.
I agree.

Many years ago Acura TLs experienced an unusual amount of transmission failures. Within a year they extended the transmission warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles. My transmission failed in year 11 and they still replaced it for free! Now that's a company who stands behind their product.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 PM
phisch
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen a fair number of threads and posts about torque converter problems with the A8 transmission. Is this the result of a bad batch of TC's out there from GM, or is the underlying root problem with TC failure due to the V8 to V4 switching? If it is the latter, could it be assumed that the TC will eventually need replacing in all A8s?

Last edited by phisch; 11-20-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd937
Can the flush be done in a day or do I need to plan to leave it over night?
Flush is between 2 and 2.5 hours
The following users liked this post:
tmd937 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by phisch
I've seen a fair number of threads and posts about torque converter problems with the A8 transmission. Is this the result of a bad batch of TC's out there from GM, or is the underlying root problem with TC failure due to the V8 to V4 switching? If it is the latter, could it be assumed that the TC will eventually need replacing in all A8s?
It's clearly a design/programming problem. They let the TC lock-up clutch slip a little when the engine is in V4 mode to reduce the pulsing in the drive train. As the clutch wears out, it starts to shudder and let the rpms vary while cruising. Flushing replaces the very slippery original fluid with some that's not quite so slippery, which gives the lock-up clutch a new lease on life in some cases.

If you get a new TC and avoid V4 operation, you'll probably get trouble-free service from the A8 like you would from any other automatic transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by WelderGuy:
jimmie jam (11-21-2017), Johnp94 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Just curious.....With all these T.C. issues, when they get replaced, is it with the same type of unit or a redesigned one? If they are just a replacement unit of essentially the same design, seems like that's a set up for another potential problem. Has GM ever discovered what the problem is, or modified anything in the newer T.C's?
My early build 2016 just went in for the 2nd replacement at 29K miles (first one replaced around 15K miles)...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 238 Posts

Does a normally operating C7 automatic transmission exhibit any fluctuations of rpm while driving in the auto mode and cruising at a steady speed? I ask because I’ve seen that on mine, but only in 7th & 8th gear. It stops if I swx to manual mode, and there are no noticeable indications that anything has changed. I’d never know anything was going on if I wasn’t looking at the tach. Everything is buttery smooth.

FWIW, I also have a 2014 V8 Silverado with the 6 speed automatic that cycles between 4 & 8 cylinders and exhibits the exact same behavior. Of course on it you can’t swx to manual paddles.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by phisch
When my TC was replaced in 2016, I was informed by the dealer that my TC problem was a result of a bad O Ring. Since the TC replacement ( 22K miles ago) my transmission has been flawless. Just before my 3/36 ran out, I did purchase a GM Extended Warranty. The powertrain warranty does cover you for 5 years, but I plan on keeping my car longer than 5 years.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Does a normally operating C7 automatic transmission exhibit any fluctuations of rpm while driving in the auto mode and cruising at a steady speed? I ask because I’ve seen that on mine, but only in 7th & 8th gear. It stops if I swx to manual mode, and there are no noticeable indications that anything has changed. I’d never know anything was going on if I wasn’t looking at the tach. Everything is buttery smooth.

FWIW, I also have a 2014 V8 Silverado with the 6 speed automatic that cycles between 4 & 8 cylinders and exhibits the exact same behavior. Of course on it you can’t swx to manual paddles.
I have a 2015 A8. After my TC was replaced, I had NO movement of my RPM's while driving at a steady speed. Prior to my new TC, I had the shudder and the RPM movement at a steady speed. The Service Writer stated that I would have gotten a new TC because of the RPM movement, even if I had not had the shuddering. My new TC was installed in 2016 and now they want to try the flush before you get a new TC.
The following users liked this post:
Squeaky Wheel (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

GM knows what the problem is and why don't they get together with the supplier and correct it?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I have a new CTS4 with the 2.0 turbo AND the 8L45 A8. In just 5,000 short miles this tranny has many of the same issues as the L90. Hard up and down shifts from 1st to 2nd, auto stop bangs into gear so hard that the first time it did that I thought that someone rear ended me...it's like a "bang and then surge". Good thing that it's only a 4 banger so there's no AFM (only on the 6's). I think that this is more of a programing/electronic issue rather than a complete mechanical only issue. Ponderous...

Last edited by jimmie jam; 11-21-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Mine never fluctuates in auto mode. See my build date on my signature, etc. It has been perfect for my 48,750 miles. I drive the **** out it. And I did buy the Range device at about 37,000 miles. I forget to use it half the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque converter troubles

Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
GM knows what the problem is
Care to share with us what GM knows or how it can be corrected?

I find this issue to be quite disturbing. Would not have given the fluctuating RPMs a second thought until reading all these horror stories. I LOVE this car, and want to be able to enjoy it relatively worry free for many many years. Now I'm a bit anxious, and wonder if I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb! Have absolutely no other symptoms of a problem, and don't wish to invite them by tearing into an otherwise healthy unit, but thinking I should maybe get it looked at. At least I'll have something on record. Still 2+3/4 years of powertrain warranty remaining. I'll never hit 60K miles in that period.

Last edited by Squeaky Wheel; 11-21-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Length of Warranty remaining
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
I have a 2015 A8. After my TC was replaced, I had NO movement of my RPM's while driving at a steady speed. Prior to my new TC, I had the shudder and the RPM movement at a steady speed. The Service Writer stated that I would have gotten a new TC because of the RPM movement, even if I had not had the shuddering. My new TC was installed in 2016 and now they want to try the flush before you get a new TC.
The dealer just called - they want to do the flush instead of another TC replacement. He said they called GM tech assistance and they were told fluid change as the first step this time around

Last edited by HoustonMidtown; 11-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

All these comments make me really glad I went against conventional wisdom and bought a first year C7 with the 6 speed auto. I have a longer warranty and not the potential trouble. Despite all the incentives out there now I am not in any hurry to sell/trade mine for a newer one with the potential tranny issue. Given the history of problems one would like to think GM would extend the warranty on these trannys, but we'll see. That definitely casts a negative light on resale value for those equipped with the 8-speed.

Quick Reply: Torque converter troubles