C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
God Bless you for taking care of this litter of kittens.
Their mother got ran over by a car so I have been feeding them. Trying to find homes for them because the local shelter has so many cats if I hand them over they will be put down. I also got them spayed and neutered at my expensive. This chick I used to date is going to pick one up and I think one buddy at work will get one for his daughter so hopefully they will have good homes soon.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (11-22-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I guess I'm not the minority since I had a '14 and '15 Lexus GS and ES in my late 20s
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I just thought of something that may work if gm would do it.
I used to have a Saturn sky redline and it was a hoot to drive, that turbo it had it would move.
People said it was a mini Vette, they could bring it back, market it to younger people for under 30k, it had 260hp turbo.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

There will always be a few mega rich folks to buy Lambos, Ferraris, etc. but there may not be 25,000 people each year to buy a new Corvette. The millennial generation does not have the interest in cars that the current baby boomer generation has. I see very few folks under 55 at the car shows. The future is very uncertain. Time will tell.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Lyn Go Fast
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For me ... it was always a money thing!
When I was in high school, the Chevy dealer in my west Texas hometown had a "brand-spankin'-new" yellow '63 split window coupe for sale out on the sidewalk in front of the dealership. After class I would go down there and sit in that gorgeous machine until someone that looked like they could actually afford it ran me off. I "promised" myself that some-how some-way I would have one some day!
I now have a yellow '18 3LZ ZO6 on order that is seriously interrupting my sleep these days!
What difference does it make how old you are when one of these rockets finally finds its way to your garage?
Hell, I'm as excited as that high school kid sittin' & dreamin' in that '63!!!
BOTTOM LINE: As long as these cars continue to generate our kind of enthusiasm, there will always be buyers for 'em ... some young / some old!

Last edited by Lyn Go Fast; 11-20-2017 at 09:44 PM.
cowboy casey (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont think its a cost issue,I think its a budgeting issue. How many people do you know that are good with money. How many people actually have a plan and a dedicated budget? I have offered so many of my friends my expertise in budgeting money for free and not one has taken me up. I was a financial planner and a stock broker and even with that background I learned that people have no will power these days. They want what they want and they want it now. Wait until we have another recession, history will repeat itself and the same people who were in trouble in 2008 will be suffering again.

Last edited by millsy; 11-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
AORoads (11-27-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Money is a large factor, always has been and will be. It's getting people who can afford it to buy it. Sure, I could afford to drop $70k on a new C7, but I'd rather not pay the depreciation. That same money has bought me multiple cars that offer a different driving experience (GN, Wrangler, C5, TBSS) and are near the bottom of their curve. Heck, my GN and Jeep have actually appreciated in value since I purchased them.

Sure the C5 isn't a C7, but it offers a similar drive for a fraction of the cost. I don't need to have the newest thing. My next Vette will be a C6 GS, but I'll wait at least another 5 years for prices to drop more.

I know I'm not the norm, and my buying pattern will never help new car sales. I've had many cars, but only ever purchased one brand new, a Honda CR-V that my wife drives. While my DD is a beat up 2005 Hyundai with 100k that we've now owned for 10 years.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
Many millennials don't have the love of driving like many of us did/still do.They see a car as transportation only.

Their phones mean more to them.

\db2
You hit the nail right on the head. Young people don't have time to drive they are on the phone. Uber is their ride up until self driving cars become available. Then they can sit in the back on their phone while the self driving car gets them to the beer pub. Sad fact but that's the way it will be. I can't recall exactly where I read a similar artical written by an auto executive containing the same opinion.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

The whole young people don’t love cars things is nonsense. They just don’t buy Corvette’s because of the cost and lack of marketing towards them. I’m 32 and bought my first one 6 years ago. I’m a car guy so I don’t count but if I wasn’t I would probably buying something else before looking at a corvette cause Chevy does a horrible job at marketing it to a younger buyer.

Heck just look at the color options. They are dull and boring. Young people want options that appeal to them and two gray options with another couple options for black with a splash of yellow and low tech doesn’t do it for them. Oh yeah and the cost. I’ll continue to buy cause I love Corvette’s but I get why the majority of younger buyers look towards other brands.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Hmaringer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Im 26 and love my 2016 Z07 as do all of my friends. They just aren't in a situation where they can afford the car. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the car and figured I rather do it now then later down the road when I do have a family and other obligations/expenses.

I see A LOT of younger guys driving older C6s simply because they can afford them. If GM created a sub $30k Vette to compete with Camaros/Mustangs/370z I am sure all the younger guys would be buying a corvette instead. I was in that price range years back and really had no options except those.. A corvette was just out of my price range at the time being a base stingray is still over $50k new..
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The young people think they have to have awd and four doors for some reason. They also have a lot of debt and little disposable income..
Most think they need four seats and four doors.
Anything less and they feel insecure for some reason.
Keep in mind for most people under age 35, they have only 1 car and it needs to be a practical daily driver, which means room for 4 people and some storage - it is why compact premium (Audi, BMW, Jaguar Mercedes & Porsche for those under age 45 - Acura, Cadillac, Infinity, Lexus & Lincoln are for the old folks) SUV's are all the rage with the 25-40 crowd.
I am willing to bet that for 70% (and that might be low) of Corvette owners, the Corvette is not their only car.
Most millennials I know just don't have an extra $60-90k laying around to buy a toy.
ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Extremely stupid for any dealer to do that. As long as someone has a valid license. I have no problem with anyone driving a $100k LC500 here. A local Mercedes Benz dealer that usually lets everyone test drive cars had a black gentleman driving an older F150 with fairly dirty clothes walk in wanting to test drive a S550. He was told he can’t test drive until they run his credit and see if he qualifies for the car first. He left. Turns out he owns one of the largest landscaping companies in South Florida and had just left work and was in his work truck and his lease was coming to an end on his 7 series BMW and he wanted to try out the Benz. He bashed them all over social media and sent a complaint to Mercedes of North America. Any dealer that does that in this politically correct day and age is opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit.
I'm sure that they really want a guy in dirty clothes sitting in a $100K+ car. I don't care, but if you are shopping for that car, he could explain the situation, and they would probably loan him some coveralls. Or maybe even deliver it to his house for a test drive, after he got cleaned up...

As for mellinials? Most of them have a heafty nut to pay after they get out of college. Something most of us didn't have to deal with.

Originally Posted by ironman77
The hell with Kia, that is a communist car brand
Yep, you'd fit right in with the crowd in OT PRC...

OBTW KIA is a Korean car company, from R.O.K. (South Korea, good... North Korea D.P.R.K... bad communist...)

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-21-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Keep in mind for most people under age 35, they have only 1 car and it needs to be a practical daily driver, which means room for 4 people and some storage - it is why compact premium (Audi, BMW, Jaguar Mercedes & Porsche for those under age 45 - Acura, Cadillac, Infinity, Lexus & Lincoln are for the old folks) SUV's are all the rage with the 25-40 crowd.
I am willing to bet that for 70% (and that might be low) of Corvette owners, the Corvette is not their only car.
Most millennials I know just don't have an extra $60-90k laying around to buy a toy.
I agree that's the premise most non buyers convince themselves with.

Meanwhile as a father of a severely handicapped kid...for 20 years I've been driving two seat corvettes and gave up my traditional sedan a decade and a half ago..

I never needed that crap..

I use my corvettes with snow tires in ny metro winters and again...the car goes everywhere I want it to go..

Contrary to popular beliefs these cars are designed as daily drivers ..and my car is garaged and looks and drives mint..

The fallacies of needing a four door four seat car or cuv is nonsense..for 90 percent of those who dream of wishing they had a corvette...

It's a natural human condition for most to manage to talk themselves out of their dreams..

Sure if you have to move two or three kids and you'll need a partner with a four seater...

But other than that...anybody who doesn't move clients in heir cars on occasion can have any car they like...

Hell half the world thinks they have to have awd and alumbering cuv to survive life in the suburbs...so I understand...

I feel bad for all those that don't live their dreams ...(for all the logic that others project to "conform" to a life that isn't as rewarding..

It's the one thing I learned years ago...life is just a journey and when it's over...it's over...better do what you can to enjoy your life the way you want..within reason of course)

At fifty eight I learned this a long long time ago...

There isn't a day I have to say I shoulda coulda woulda...instead I say with pride...I did...

To each their own
ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Btw..the trunk in the corvette is huge!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Talk about a company in trouble finding new young buyers? It's Lexus.....omg it's a joke around here ...

Their new styling is pretty far out there and I admire that...

At least Lexus IS trying.

Wacko styling but becoming more balanced lately instead of just sticking that huge grille on the older more sedate sedans and such...

The new LC500 is a more balanced design...and we are hearing even if a little heavy and not really a performance machine it's kind of cool. How many a month are they selling of those?

500 LC500s? Is it young buyers or older people?

I'm betting besides a few rappers it's all over 60 crowd...

Worry more about that than other brands...

Simple fact the kids don't have the coin most of the time.,,some want trucks...some don't even care to drive...
Lexus can't make up their mind what they want to be. They have a great, good selling SUV, the RX350. But it took dealers screaming at them to finally expand it to a three seat car (coming next year) despite the fact that sister Toyota can't keep 3 seat Highlanders on their lots. Their front end re-design gets a general "ugly" remark and yet they insist on pushing it. I'll give Lexus a big, huge plus. They maintain parts for their older cars. That's one way to hook future buyers. Let them buy used and CPO cars. Keep those cars on the road with reliability and available parts. Some will become lifelong buyers and move to new when they can afford it. That's a smart move. Corvette should do more of this instead of abandoning their older models.
Corvette did begin manufacturing the ebcm for the 01 to04 C5s again, that was a good move.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:43 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Lexis is every mommy mobile dream wonder and holds a special place in real estate brokers as a business vehicle that every lady broker loves..

Good luck to them.
ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:43 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
GM needs to concentrate on the market it does have instead of going after the new gemeration. Since Corvettes usually sell for way below MSRP why dont GM lower the MSRP to what they actually sell for. While that will make the price more applealing to its current market it would also take care of the deprecation issue. All cars depreciate but those that are real bad will have higher lease rates. That is why you usually see Gap insurance part of a lease.
American car companies (Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc) are obsessed with this model of high MSRP and then big incentives to make it look like you are getting a screaming deal. When in reality your not.

Just price the damn MSRP right out of the gate and stop the silliness with employee pricing, etc. Chrysler is the worst. They offer like 20 different incentives on some cars but you may only qualify for a few of them. I honestly just stopped even looking at Dodge/Chrysler products because I hate the incentive game. I was looking at a Pacifica for my wife and even the sales person could not figure out what incentives I qualified for. She got back to me 2 days later after she sorted it all out and I had already bought a Honda

Last edited by thill444; 11-21-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 AM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

One thing that hinders young people with cars is college debt! Yesterday I was reading that college debt has accumulated to 1.2 trillion which is insane!
I was reading also about this one woman who had a degree and her mom got sick so she took time off from
Work to care for her mom while she recovered, her student loan debt has half her pay, she got behind and defaulted,in her state if you default on student loan they take your driver's license plus revoke license per say in degree field you are in which happened to her!
Like I have said many times college is worthless and a waste of money, if you people wants these cars then get a trade, they will pay for these cars
Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Champ203
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing that hinders young people with cars is college debt! Yesterday I was reading that college debt has accumulated to 1.2 trillion which is insane!
I was reading also about this one woman who had a degree and her mom got sick so she took time off from
Work to care for her mom while she recovered, her student loan debt has half her pay, she got behind and defaulted,in her state if you default on student loan they take your driver's license plus revoke license per say in degree field you are in which happened to her!
Like I have said many times college is worthless and a waste of money, if you people wants these cars then get a trade, they will pay for these cars
I'm betting most people who own Corvettes went to college. Furthermore I don't believe that everyone must go to college - it all depends on what you want to do as a career. My degree has opened doors and provided the foundation to launch a very successful business. My brother did not finish college and has done ok. Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Engineers have to attend college. College is outragiously expensive as I just put 2 boys through Clemson University and they have no debt. One of them is making 6 figures after being out for a year - show me that job for someone without a degree?

Peace,
Don

Last edited by Champ203; 11-21-2017 at 09:01 AM.
ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Very true. College debt it out of control. I looked into getting a Masters recently for my field and it would cost me over $60K. And that was mostly online.

Ridiculous.

The truth is cost of living, medical, etc has outpaced earnings for most Americans. Corvette is a toy and many cannot afford an impractical 2 seater sports car that cost $50K+.

Quick Reply: What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?