C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:05 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

I know an awful lot of millennials through work and through my kids and I have to say that most of them don’t care about cars. Many don’t even own a car. They take Uber frequently. I have read articles that claim that in 10 years or less self driving cars (and self driving Uber’s and taxis) will change the auto world as we know it. We won’t need all of the parking garages. Who knows, in 10 years electric cars may rule the roost. Hopefully retro kits will be available for those of us with the evil fossil fuel cars.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

I believe the majority of Vette owners/purchasers, originated from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In other words, many have remained loyal to the legacy of the Corvette over the years. Either they wanted one from their youth (like me) or they happened to purchased one of the many since 1953, most all remain firmly planted within that legacy. When I see a 1970 Chevelle while I'm driving my Vette, I look because it is from my past and I appreciate that type of vehicle. The same response would come from the majority of Vette owners when seeing an older model Vette. Although a young Millennial might not even look at it at all since that emotional legacy attachment is not there. A modern two seat sports car that costs more than the average young person's annual salary is just not that interesting. $$$ The market is exactly where it needs to be. You want to sell faster more expensive cars to kids, look at the Focus RS, Mustang, EVO, or WRX strategy.
The following users liked this post:
TyBoo (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Engsie
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

You either have the world's greatest parents, or they didn't realize you were living in the basement! If either of my children had completed college, moved home and then purchased a $70,000 car, the next vehicle they drove would have been a UHaul!

Most parents allow their children to live at home so that the kid can get a head start on saving money for their own home - not so that they can spend a large portion of that money on a depreciating asset like a car.

You should fall down on your knees and thank your parents every day for your financial "independence".
-----------------------------------------

I know a few other young people who bought cars before houses, because they didn't want to rent (and so they lived at home until they could buy a house closer to 30). This to me is smarter than WASTING your money on renting your entire 20's ....... Financial independence is much easier to achieve, if you come out of college single, when you move back in with your parents.
The following 3 users liked this post by Engsie:
collector man (11-21-2017), JBeng70 (11-20-2017), lancekl (11-30-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
I do think they need to look at the big picture. Right now on a Gs-F that is leftover from 2017 you have a money factor of 0.00001. Same on a 2017 Rc-F. That means you can lease a 467hp car that competes with (but isn't as good as an M5 or M4) at a substantially lower monthly lease payment. Yes I understand that GM is getting away with selling this vehicle to the seniors for a long time now but I truly believe they need to consider marketing this masterpiece to younger buyers until its too late. I love the Corvette yet I find myself very aggravated trying to defend it to guys my age who laugh at it and have no idea what they are missing out on while they drive their M4s, C 63 amgs and Lexus RC-Fs.
No one cares about a GS-F. Sure that may be the money factor but what is the residual? I bet its right in the toilet. Lol probably in the 30’s.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 PM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

College is a waste of time and money to start with, the problem today is not learning how to be away from mom and dad! Hell I rented until I was 21 then bought my first place! I drove wore out vehicles until i could do better!
I will say this if the younger generation has to do like I did they would not make it!
Corvette ED (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:52 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylars
I believe the majority of Vette owners/purchasers, originated from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
I think Jaylars' entire post was spot on, but the first line says it best. That is the reason the majority of Corvette owners are older and why the car has the reputation of being an old man's car. The fact that they are impractical through the family raising years is why many of us waited to own them, and our fascination with them throughout those years just kept building up. Seeing so many old guys like me driving Corvettes is enough to make kids nowadays uninterested in these cars, so the pattern continues.

This is a very interesting thread. Fun to read! Thanks!
GregNYC (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
Many millennials don't have the love of driving like many of us did/still do.They see a car as transportation only.

Their phones mean more to them.

\db2
Wow, talk about being out of tune with millennials. I see them driving and talking about the Nissan GT-R, Audi RS 7, Audi A8, Jaugar F-Type and tons of BMWs.

One other point, you should see what the young college kids are driving, epecially those from China. My son sends me pics from UoO in Oregon several times a weeks of kids driving Bentleys, Lamborghinis and other exotics but no Corvettes.
JBeng70 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 PM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Foreign people comes here gets a free ride, they pay no taxes,get free education and free stuff.
​​​​​​those communist need to stay out of this country!
patentcad (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:57 PM
NMC7
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Melinials don’t seem to have the same passion for cars as earlier generations. My 21 year old daughter is more happy with her Chevy Cruze than she would be in my Corvette. However I think there’s hope. My 13 year old son and his buddies love the Corvette as well as American muscle cars. I don’t think the Corvette is headed for extinction any time soon.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

There have been several threads where the subject of the younger generations comes up. But for some reason, these discussions focus on millennials. Why? They're too young and have too much debt. They haven't had time to accumulate wealth.
If you want to focus on younger buyers, focus on Generation X. Tadge and GM stated when the C7 was released that they were focused on successful individuals in their 40's, that's Gen X, not millennials. Gen Xers have had time to accumulate wealth and are now in the position to purchase upscale vehicles. I think that's the right group to focus on. Millennials will get their turn.
For Boomers that remember the good old days when you could buy a new Corvette for around $30,000 to $35,000 in today's money, those days are gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadbike56:
Fr333zy (11-20-2017), ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
I am a Sales Manager for one of the top Lexus dealers in the world. Over the last few years we had come to the conclusion that the vast majority of our buyers (the ES, the LS, etc owners) were fairly senior people who possibly wont be driving very soon. If we didn't try to target the younger market we might very well end up like Buick or Cadillac where the vast majority of their buyers simply passed away and their children weren't interested in those cars. So over the last few years the company has been trying hard to capture the younger clientele but it will take a while and many of those buyers are now loyal to Bmw, Audi, Mercedes or Infiniti.

At 34 I'm definitely not the typical Corvette buyer. There is no doubt the Corvette even as a base 1lt automatic is a amazingly fun car to buy, maintain without spending an arm and a leg and get very good resale value. I appraise cars all the time the only two American cars that hold exceptional resale value in my opinion are Jeep Wranglers and Corvettes.

What can or should General Motors do to market this amazing machine in a way where more late 20, early 30s buyers would consider it?

The biggest flaw I find is they need to have good factory lease programs. A lot of the high end car market shoppers are leasers who look at MSRP and monthly payments only. They want the car with the highest MSRP at the lowest monthly payment. They get turned off when they find out leasing a Grand Sport that has an MSRP of 79k costs MORE than leasing a $110k Mercedes Benz S class (and the Benz comes with MUCH BETTER customer service and lifetime free car washes when the Vette owner gets treated at the dealer the same as the guy who has an Aveo or a Cruz). Where else do you think GM can do better to market the younger crowd so their iconic car doesn't die eventually?
How can that Benz lease for less? Isn’t the cost of a lease primarily based on the depreciation of the car over the lease period? And don’t Benz values drop like a rock?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

41 years ago at 25 yrs of age I bought my 1st new Corvette in cash. 40 years later this week, I'm buying my 2nd new Corvette for cash. When I was 25, I was making the equivalent of $140K a year in today's dollars. A new Corvette, then, and now would take 1/2 a year's income to pay cash for a new Corvette. Not a whole lot of Americans can even afford a new Corvette.

It doesn't take very many brains to figure out that new Corvettes are pricey - then and now.

Your problem is that the population growth keeps diminishing.
The Country being over run with illegal, uneducated, cheap labor isn't helping any.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by dbdave
Younger buyers have more to do than spend money on a non-essential car. Unless that's all they do, owning cars like Corvettes is something that doesn't fit well with finding gainful employment, getting married, buying houses, having a family, etc. The ownership will come for those who work for it.
Hit the nail on the head. However, from what I have seen on this forum there are more and more younger owners driving a new Corvette - something that didn't happen not all that long ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
Fr333zy (11-20-2017), ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:30 AM
GregNYC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

They seem to be addressing the issue by making the ME, to compete with the Ferraris and Poorcjes that younger folks (who like sports cars) seem to prefer.

One thing they could do is make a Corvette SUV. That move worked for Porsche. A thirty-five year old salesman at Kerbeck once told me, “If Corvette made an SUV, I’d be able to retire in two years.”

:-)

Last edited by GregNYC; 11-20-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 AM
MAGRED-02
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

ironman77 I quoted your posts below and all I can say is maybe you should have wasted some time and money.

"College is a waste of time and money to start with, the problem today is not learning how to be away from mom and dad! Hell I rented until I was 21 then bought my first place! I drove wore out vehicles until i could do better!
I will say this if the younger generation has to do like I did they would not make it!"

"Foreign people comes here gets a free ride, they pay no taxes,get free education and free stuff."
​​​​​​those communist need to stay out of this country!

Last edited by MAGRED-02; 11-20-2017 at 03:20 AM.
golden2husky (11-25-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by roadbike56
There have been several threads where the subject of the younger generations comes up. But for some reason, these discussions focus on millennials. Why? They're too young and have too much debt. They haven't had time to accumulate wealth.
If you want to focus on younger buyers, focus on Generation X. Tadge and GM stated when the C7 was released that they were focused on successful individuals in their 40's, that's Gen X, not millennials. Gen Xers have had time to accumulate wealth and are now in the position to purchase upscale vehicles. I think that's the right group to focus on. Millennials will get their turn.
For Boomers that remember the good old days when you could buy a new Corvette for around $30,000 to $35,000 in today's money, those days are gone.
Not only too much debt nor time to accumulate wealth, but the Millenials have gone thru this past recession w. very little: money or a job to make decent money. They are tapped out, disillusioned w. the cost of the car scene, as well as the value of their "education."

GenX'ers are 35-50 but also went thru the last recession. If anything, they are big-ticket-item gunshy, and reasonably so. But age-wise, it is the right group to focus on. One small problem, I don't know where the ads are for Corvette or if the powers think racing is THE ad, but I see virtually none for the Corvette. Very similar to the way the Volt when it came out was "seen" (or not seen) on tv and other media until it was almost too late.

I very well remember the days when you could buy a new Corvette for $30K-$35K--I did---a new '93. But, you must be talking about the '50s or '60s price of a new Corvette, for "today's money." Every year, due to inflation no matter how small, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar next year. That means a $35K Corvette back in '93 would cost far more in "today's money." How much more? About $59K+. Which happens to be about the cost of a new Stingray.
LT1 Z51 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Talk about a company in trouble finding new young buyers? It's Lexus.....omg it's a joke around here ...

Their new styling is pretty far out there and I admire that...

At least Lexus IS trying.

Wacko styling but becoming more balanced lately instead of just sticking that huge grille on the older more sedate sedans and such...

The new LC500 is a more balanced design...and we are hearing even if a little heavy and not really a performance machine it's kind of cool. How many a month are they selling of those?

500 LC500s? Is it young buyers or older people?

I'm betting besides a few rappers it's all over 60 crowd...

Worry more about that than other brands...

Simple fact the kids don't have the coin most of the time.,,some want trucks...some don't even care to drive...

Get notified of new replies

To What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?

Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Make Corvette ownership a right and give them away for free.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
One small problem, I don't know where the ads are for Corvette or if the powers think racing is THE ad, but I see virtually none for the Corvette. :
Good point. I can’t recall seeing an ad for a Corvette in decades. Maybe that is by design. Maybe Chevrolet is happy with the volume that they sell? I attached a small few at random but a Google search has thousands and most seem to be C2’s or C3’s. Chevrolet definitely targeted various demographics with their ads. I know when I was younger and saw one of those ads it sure made me want a Corvette.
Attached Images    
ptran00 (12-13-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Everyone probably already knows this. But for a young person unless your on your parents car insurance to afford the car payment and the High insurance rate it is very tough for a young person to buy a Corvette. I have heard over the years where someone could afford the corvette payment but then trying to pay for the car insurance makes it hard.

Quick Reply: What can GM do to get more younger/millenial buyers to buy Corvettes?