Sponsored by:

Service Experience On Corvette Not Where It Needs To Be

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:21 PM
entman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Service Experience On Corvette Not Where It Needs To Be

I love the corvette but think the service experience is just terrible. When I brought my Z06 in for the oil change I had to remind the technician to put rubber pucks under the car so as not to damage the side skirts on the car. I was standing at the garage door waiting to see if he knew to do this and he didn't. This was after I was reassured that I would have a certified corvette mechanic. How can GM sell a 120-150 k car and have uneducated people working on these cars? This is the second dealer that I have had this same issue. One dealer took 3 hours to change one tire.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Gryphon_
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to a Chevrolet main dealer to ask if they could dig up the service history on my new '08 C6 to see if it had ever had a transmission oil and filter change. They said they can only see the services they have done on the car themselves. They weren't 'connected' to a central database of VIN histories.

Did I regress a decade or is this still 2017?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

There are many Corvette servicing dealerships who are not acceptable. I “fired” two of them and now drive 38 miles each way, past both of them, to get to one outstanding dealership, with a 30 year experience Corvette Tech who has never failed solve issues (going back several Corvettes), never failed to impress with his quick and reasonably priced service. And they understand and support that that only my Tech Ken touches my Corvette — including for even an oil/filter change.

We do not always go to the nearest restaurant, to the nearest doctor, or to the nearest CPA, yet so many Corvette owners, for whatever reason, cite convenience as their reason that they go to their closest dealer.

It is not good we have to “select” our Corvette servicing department, but there are many good to great ones out there...

Last edited by elegant; 11-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (11-27-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 05:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
I love the corvette but think the service experience is just terrible. When I brought my Z06 in for the oil change I had to remind the technician to put rubber pucks under the car so as not to damage the side skirts on the car. I was standing at the garage door waiting to see if he knew to do this and he didn't. This was after I was reassured that I would have a certified corvette mechanic. How can GM sell a 120-150 k car and have uneducated people working on these cars? This is the second dealer that I have had this same issue. One dealer took 3 hours to change one tire.
Nothing better than someone trying to tell the service department how to do their job I drop my car off and leave it and everything's fine
The following 2 users liked this post by 3 Z06ZR1:
AWOL (11-27-2017), woodsguy (11-24-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 06:04 PM
entman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Nothing better than someone trying to tell the service department how to do their job I drop my car off and leave it and everything's fine
Well if you saw the mechanic putting metal against your plastic side skirts without problems I am happy for you.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:04 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

It's a Chevy. They also sell and service $15K cars. Does anyone truly believe that it's feasible to have a different SLA in place for ZR1 buyers?
Old 11-23-2017, 06:40 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Some are good, and some are bad... Fortunately, I have a good one.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Well if you saw the mechanic putting metal against your plastic side skirts without problems I am happy for you.
Is that what you saw or was it you thought they needed
Jacking pucks which are for at home use
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I'm lucky, Bryner Chevy is the closest dealership to my home in PA, they have a guy that has been there for decades Steve Spencer, I get treated better there than at my Porsche, MB and even Ferrari dealership, yep shocked me too.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:38 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default dealerships

The last time I brought my Vette to the dealership they broke the console and then denied doing so. It was only after I threatened to file in small claims court that they reimbursed me for a new console. The other Chevy dealership close by to me has such bad reviews that I wouldn't send my bicycle there let alone my Vette. I now have to drive two and half hours to get my car serviced at Kerbeck in AC. They've always been quick and efficient with my service issues. Chevy has a serious problem getting qualified people to service Vettes.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

WTH does this have to do with the ZR1...which hasn’t even been released yet?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Same issue at Dodge with the Viper (and Hellcat)
Same issue at Nissan with the GT-R
Same issue at Ford with the GT
etc

There are F250s and 350s that cost more than a Z06 and get serviced just fine.

There are plenty of regular old Mercedes Benz that cost WAY more than a Z06 or ZR1.
Do you REALLY think the techs at an MB dealer work in a sterile environment and only use a delicate touch on those cars? LOL.....

The real issue is corvette owner neurosis. "Don't touch my car, I just washed it!"
Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Nothing, of course. But to complainers, the most important thing on earth is complaining. Whether it's the right forum or not or whether their real issue is that they need to acquire a life, or at least some perspective, complainers throw down complaints at the first possible opportunity that is convenient for THEM, like the people who throw cigarette butts out the window because they don't want to stink up THEIR ashtray.

No dealer has messed up my Z06 convertible yet, nor did they mess up the C6 coupe before it, and they had plenty of opportunity. There wasn't a chef making free crepes in the client lobby--apparently, this is a thing in some marques' dealerships--but there was a fine selection of cost-effective fast food within walking distance. The bill was about one-eighth of what it would have been at the free crepes establishments. Then I got back in my car and drove it some more. Now I have a total of 153,000 miles actually driving Corvettes, which puts me in such a good mood that I don't much feel like complaining most days. Except about the complainers that need to go drive and appreciate their Corvettes some more.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:37 PM
entman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
It has to do with expectations of buying a 120 k priced car and having incompetent service personnel. If GM wants to sell in this price range then they need to up service experience
Old 11-23-2017, 11:43 PM
entman
Advanced

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Nothing, of course. But to complainers, the most important thing on earth is complaining. Whether it's the right forum or not or whether their real issue is that they need to acquire a life, or at least some perspective, complainers throw down complaints at the first possible opportunity that is convenient for THEM, like the people who throw cigarette butts out the window because they don't want to stink up THEIR ashtray.

No dealer has messed up my Z06 convertible yet, nor did they mess up the C6 coupe before it, and they had plenty of opportunity. There wasn't a chef making free crepes in the client lobby--apparently, this is a thing in some marques' dealerships--but there was a fine selection of cost-effective fast food within walking distance. The bill was about one-eighth of what it would have been at the free crepes establishments. Then I got back in my car and drove it some more. Now I have a total of 153,000 miles actually driving Corvettes, which puts me in such a good mood that I don't much feel like complaining most days. Except about the complainers that need to go drive and appreciate their Corvettes some more.

You don't know me so why the insults ? I think this is a legitimate observation, I'm happy for you that your dealer experience has been good. I would love to have a recommendation of a dealer in the south eastern Pennsylvania
Old 11-23-2017, 11:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

It has to do with expectations of buying a 120 k priced car and having incompetent service personnel. If GM wants to sell in this price range then they need to up service experience
Well, with that much skin in the game, you might want to invest in a set of jacking inserts to keep in the car. You can, then, do what the rest of us lowly base punks do, and hand them with the fob to whichever service advisor writes up your ticket.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Well, with that much skin in the game, you might want to invest in a set of jacking inserts to keep in the car. You can, then, do what the rest of us lowly base punks do, and hand them with the fob to whichever service advisor writes up your ticket.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Experience On Corvette Not Where It Needs To Be

Old 11-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,205 Likes on 3,452 Posts

EXACTLY one of the main reasons I'll never spend "real" money on any Vette (nor any other GM product). I've said I'd go $50k max, so I just made it spending $49K for an '18 base. Any more is simply tooooo stupid, even for me!

Thinking about this and my experiences, the only thing worse might well be Ford servicing ones $400K supercar.

Last edited by Avanti; 11-27-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems to me that while I understand your gripe, keep in mind you are purchasing a 120K car, from a manufacturer who's bread and butter is 25K cars.... If high end intelligent techs, with state of the art tools and the high end facilities to perform their work in, is what you're looking for, You may be better off purchasing a Porsche, Ferrari etc... cuz it aint happening in a Chevy dealership ... LOL
Old 11-24-2017, 12:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

My post, while sarcastic is also what you, entman, should do.

You have purchased a car that very few mechanics have ever worked on. That in and of itself is not a problem, but it does behoove you to learn as much about your car as you can to stave off as much as many potential issues (inherent the car) as you possibly can.

This forum is a good place to start to learn.
The following users liked this post:
dbintegrity (11-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Service Experience On Corvette Not Where It Needs To Be