C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown engine-dealer said they won’t fix?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
What you say above may have been true in the past, but I don't think any company has the ability to hide the fingerprints of a tune any more. Manufacturer forensics have progressed by light years over just the last couple of years. GM has the ability to do forensics more complex than the process you described above, which is now dated. Moreover, as NSC5 pointed out in post #24, the next step is an ECM that can't be broken into at all, and GM is already using technology in diesel engines.
The ECM for us is still the E92 but the problem in the 2018s is apparently that Chrysler, Cummins and soon GM have added a security gateway that does not allow nonstock tunes to be passed to the ECM. However folks are thinking that bench flashing will work as the ECM itself is programmable. But you are correct that nonstock tunes may be a lot harder in the future. I quit tuning before the advent of the CVN in 2008 as I value the warranty to much to allow it to be blocked.

Hopefully the OP will find out that all is good with his ECM on Monday.

Last edited by pkincy; 11-25-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:17 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
seen this stuff happen a few times, not always catastrophic but people buying used and finding out later the car was tuned.....I think people need to start looking at making sure the car wasn't tuned when buying used....either take it to a GM dealer and have it checked pre-purchase or find a shop with HP Tuners or a Tech2 to take a look
Good advice, but there are still a few hurdles...For example, if the car was tuned and then returned to stock tune prior to trading it in, the HP Tuners isn't going to be of much help because all it is going to do is read the current tune and not show you what the previous tunes were. All you can do with it is see if it currently has a tune that matches a stock tune.

I'm not even sure that a dealer will scan it for you to confirm if it's been tuned previously or not until you are ready for warranty repair. I say this because I recall another guy on here having a blown engine and it was a GM certified car, if I'm not mistaking. This leads me to believe that many dealers, just funnel them through without doing a deep dive into the car's tune/flash history.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
Good advice, but there are still a few hurdles...For example, if the car was tuned and then returned to stock tune prior to trading it in, the HP Tuners isn't going to be of much help because all it is going to do is read the current tune and not show you what the previous tunes were. All you can do with it is see if it currently has a tune that matches a stock tune.

I'm not even sure that a dealer will scan it for you to confirm if it's been tuned previously or not until you are ready for warranty repair. I say this because I recall another guy on here having a blown engine and it was a GM certified car, if I'm not mistaking. This leads me to believe that many dealers, just funnel them through without doing a deep dive into the car's tune/flash history.
Then IMO the dealers are taking the risk. I certainly believe if they don't want to do their due diligence and check a car with a higher probability of tuning than normal and something happens to an unsuspecting future owner who has been LIED TO and told BY THEM that there's a valid warranty still on the car then fixing whatever issue it is falls solely on them.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Then IMO the dealers are taking the risk. I certainly believe if they don't want to do their due diligence and check a car with a higher probability of tuning than normal and something happens to an unsuspecting future owner who has been LIED TO and told BY THEM that there's a valid warranty still on the car then fixing whatever issue it is falls solely on them.
No offense, but what a load of crap. I know someone that runs the operations dept. of a Carmax, and gave them a call to ask about this. Only the MANUFACTURER has the ability to forensically check the ECM data. Dealerships like Carmax sell cars from all makes and models (for the most part. They do have some vehicles they won't sell) and they don't have the ABILITY to check, not that they just don't WANT TO DO IT.

Now if the engine blew in the first few thousand miles or in the first month, they might be able to do something for the customer because they do want to stand behind their vehicles. But 1 1/2 yrs. and 31K miles is beyond reasonable for them to still be liable.
The following 5 users liked this post by Martman C7:
449er (11-27-2017), kenownr (12-06-2017), Maxie2U (11-26-2017), Steve_R (11-25-2017), WKM (12-01-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM
George Dediashvili
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
George,

I'm very sorry this happened to you, but we've seen several other cases here of folks buying what appeared to be very lightly-used C7s, had engine trouble expecting warranty to cover it only to find the car had been tuned at some point by a previous owner.

Follow the very good advice in post #41. I'd press CarMax very hard to make this right if GM's forensics shows that the car was tuned in the past.

Good luck, and I wish you the best!
Thanks, means a lot my friend.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:46 PM
George Dediashvili
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Martman C7
No offense, but what a load of crap. I know someone that runs the operations dept. of a Carmax, and gave them a call to ask about this. Only the MANUFACTURER has the ability to forensically check the ECM data. Dealerships like Carmax sell cars from all makes and models (for the most part. They do have some vehicles they won't sell) and they don't have the ABILITY to check, not that they just don't WANT TO DO IT.

Now if the engine blew in the first few thousand miles or in the first month, they might be able to do something for the customer because they do want to stand behind their vehicles. But 1 1/2 yrs. and 31K miles is beyond reasonable for them to still be liable.
I see your point, but I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do. I just left my job to start a business and have a baby on the way due in 2 months. I can’t eat an $11,000 bill right now.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Too lazy to read all of your replies however I experienced something very similar earlier this year. 4th of July weekend I was driving home at normal speeds, only owned my 2015 Z51 for maybe a month or two. Either way, bought it with 26k miles and at this point it had about 28k miles, broke down on me in the middle of the night and I had no clue what was going on. Towed it to the closest Chevy first thing in the morning, advisor explained everything is on stand by until after the Holiday weekend. 3 days later I finally get some answers, they say I need an entire engine rod bent and blew a piston or something crazy like that and they couldn't promise me that anything would be covered under warranty until running tests and getting certain people involved. Basically for two weeks they jacked me around and said they cant guarantee anything is covered, finally after about 3 weeks with no car they said everything checked out and I got a new engine at no cost. Whole process took weeks and it was extremely stressful not knowing what the outcome would be. Being that you purchased from Carmax is don't see you having any issues with your warranty! After you get your new engine, any warranty work after that will be a much easier process. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by George Dediashvili
I see your point, but I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do. I just left my job to start a business and have a baby on the way due in 2 months. I can’t eat an $11,000 bill right now.
I really feel for ya brotha! I'm hoping all will go well for you. Just hate when people think a selling dealer is "on the hook" for a car they sell in good faith. Would be nice if the vehicles had a tune counter in the instrument cluster so we could check this kind of stuff before hand.
George Dediashvili (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

I am not offended.

I only can tell you that if it were my dealership I would stand behind the car if I or one of my employees told someone that he had warranty and he had a failure.

That's just how I run my businesses. It's not hard. I just try and do what is right every single time. Do I make everyone happy? No I don't. Do I try? Yes I do. Can it be expensive? Sure it can. I just happen to feel that the goodwill and customer loyalty earned is far more valuable.

If their car was still supposed to be under factory warranty and someone representing CarMax told them it was still in good standing then yes it's absolutely on CarMax to fix this. That's how I would vote if I were on a jury and I would not be swayed. Pretty simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racingswh:
George Dediashvili (11-25-2017), Maxie2U (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:07 PM
George Dediashvili
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Derek Felix
Too lazy to read all of your replies however I experienced something very similar earlier this year. 4th of July weekend I was driving home at normal speeds, only owned my 2015 Z51 for maybe a month or two. Either way, bought it with 26k miles and at this point it had about 28k miles, broke down on me in the middle of the night and I had no clue what was going on. Towed it to the closest Chevy first thing in the morning, advisor explained everything is on stand by until after the Holiday weekend. 3 days later I finally get some answers, they say I need an entire engine rod bent and blew a piston or something crazy like that and they couldn't promise me that anything would be covered under warranty until running tests and getting certain people involved. Basically for two weeks they jacked me around and said they cant guarantee anything is covered, finally after about 3 weeks with no car they said everything checked out and I got a new engine at no cost. Whole process took weeks and it was extremely stressful not knowing what the outcome would be. Being that you purchased from Carmax is don't see you having any issues with your warranty! After you get your new engine, any warranty work after that will be a much easier process. Good luck!
thank you brother, means a lot. I hope it will be the case.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:33 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I am not offended.

I only can tell you that if it were my dealership I would stand behind the car if I or one of my employees told someone that he had warranty and he had a failure.

That's just how I run my businesses. It's not hard. I just try and do what is right every single time. Do I make everyone happy? No I don't. Do I try? Yes I do. Can it be expensive? Sure it can. I just happen to feel that the goodwill and customer loyalty earned is far more valuable.

If their car was still supposed to be under factory warranty and someone representing CarMax told them it was still in good standing then yes it's absolutely on CarMax to fix this. That's how I would vote if I were on a jury and I would not be swayed. Pretty simple.
Well said...
Racingswh (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:33 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't get why people keep saying it's on Carmax if the car was tuned. Carmax does an excellent job of verifying their cars aren't damaged by both data available via internet, and visual inspection. In a case where a car has been previously tuned, Carmax would have no knowledge of this. You can't see a cars been tuned and no reports are issued stating that it has. No dealer that I'm aware of (and I worked in auto sales for years) reads the cars ECM to see if there's ever been a tune added, and they probably don't have the equipment to do so. Carmax sells their cars in good faith and stands behind those cars wayyyyy more than the average used car dealer ever would. This guy's had his car for 1 1/2 yrs and driven 31,000 miles. I'd say Carmax sold him a very decent car. Who knows what's been done to this car during that year and a half. Proper scheduled maint. done? Did this owner tune the car then try to hide it? We don't really know, we just have his side of the story. One thing I do know from experience. Customers lie! Not saying OP is lying, just saying it happens. Hopefully, if the car was tuned, the date can be obtained. Maybe this will help his case, maybe it wont, but Carmax isn't liable because they wouldn't have known the car had been tuned previously either.
Sorry not true, I am sure the CarMax has the equipment to check the ECM, and if they give a warranty and don't check it their a damn fool. Either way they gave out the warranty and now their on the hook. But getting them to stand behind it will be another story ,as I stated in an earlier post ,he'll need a lawyer to get them to fess up.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Interesting topic. I am in the middle of trading in a car and also traded in 2 others earlier in the year. In all three cases I was asked if any of the trade in’s were modified from stock and if any modifications were made to the vehicles computer or exhaust system. The wave of the future.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Depending upon the state you live in the consumer affairs or attorney general's office may be of assistance. If the car was tuned then it likely falls under a violation of the Clean Air Act since it is no longer conforming to the original emissions compliance certification. A lot of states take this very seriously and a dealership is generally more concerned with getting crossways with the state as opposed to an issue with a customer.

This is a gray area of consumer protection that is definitely in need of regulation because the customer is caught in an untenable situation where he/she is sold a product with a stated warranty but finds out later that actions by the previous owner resulted in loss of the warranty.

Both national outfits like the one mentioned in this thread and individual dealers in the manufacturer's franchise network often try to hide behind the "in good faith" sale of used cars and do so because to date there isn't a federal consumer protection requirement that these vehicles be checked for warranty compliance prior to sale. Either the car should receive the same check, prior to sale, that it would have for warranty conformance in the event of a major powertrain failure OR it should be sold with language disclosing that the powertrain warranty MAY be void and the customer buys at his/her own risk. The average customer doesn't perceive this risk prior to purchase so it would be reasonable to require some consumer protection in this domain.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
Foosh (11-26-2017), OntarioOrangeC3 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:58 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Please drop this already and look at the facts provided throughout the topic before disrespecting someone going through an issue like this again. Thank you.
You are new to the forum and you are getting a rude introduction to the attitude that you will often find here.

I read this forum a good bit, but it is not generally a friendly forum unless you are praising Corvettes. Otherwise you are a troll by default and must prove your sincerity or be shot down in flames.

A moderator recently commented on the nasty attitude on this forum and how he felt that it must change. But I am not sure that this problem can be fixed, since it comes from the attitude of some of the people who post here.

On most forums that I use people are trying to help each other, listen to what others have to say and offer support, but here that is often not the case.
The following 4 users liked this post by JimNeedsC7:
AttyVette (11-27-2017), dmaxx3500 (11-26-2017), George Dediashvili (11-26-2017), JOEHAWK (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:14 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

good luck with the fix

Last edited by walleyejack; 11-25-2017 at 08:40 PM.
George Dediashvili (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If it was tuned outside of your knowledge (previously) you may have a claim against the guy who sold it to you. That is, if a dealer sold it to you and didn't tell you of the problem he is liable. Let's say he took the car on trade from a customer who didn't tell him it was tuned. He should have inspected the car on trade-in which means hooking the 'puter up to it to see the car's health and would have found a tune. Go after the guy who sold it to you and with an attorney if necessary which will be cheaper than buying a new engine ($25,000 Ouch!).

Hello my friends,

I’m in a very sticky and infuriating situation right now. As my wife was driving my 2014 corvette Z51 at normal speeds and revvs, the engine suddenly exploded with such force that we received seat belt cuts although we luckily didn’t crash. There was oil everywhere and shrapnel/bolts as well. The Corvette has 61,000 miles left under the powertrain warranty and I purchased it with 8000 miles as a pre-owned vehicle. Of course I thought replacing the engine will be no issue, but the dealership is saying that they suspect “someone” re-calibrated the corvette for performance upgrade and because of that GM will void the warranty. When I asked what they mean by recalibration, he said that somebody tampered with the engine’s computer to boost hp, although I have a very hard time believing this bs. He says that they have to send the calibration numbers in to GM and if they don’t match “what factory is supposed to be,” than they will void the entire powertrain warranty. Does anybody have information on what I should do? I bought the car from CarMax and I think they are bsing me honestly in order not to do the cheap warranty work. Please help!
The following 2 users liked this post by Foxer55:
dmaxx3500 (11-26-2017), George Dediashvili (11-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine-dealer said they won’t fix?!?!

Old 11-26-2017, 01:51 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Depending upon the state you live in the consumer affairs or attorney general's office may be of assistance. If the car was tuned then it likely falls under a violation of the Clean Air Act since it is no longer conforming to the original emissions compliance certification. A lot of states take this very seriously and a dealership is generally more concerned with getting crossways with the state as opposed to an issue with a customer.

This is a gray area of consumer protection that is definitely in need of regulation because the customer is caught in an untenable situation where he/she is sold a product with a stated warranty but finds out later that actions by the previous owner resulted in loss of the warranty.

Both national outfits like the one mentioned in this thread and individual dealers in the manufacturer's franchise network often try to hide behind the "in good faith" sale of used cars and do so because to date there isn't a federal consumer protection requirement that these vehicles be checked for warranty compliance prior to sale. Either the car should receive the same check, prior to sale, that it would have for warranty conformance in the event of a major powertrain failure OR it should be sold with language disclosing that the powertrain warranty MAY be void and the customer buys at his/her own risk. The average customer doesn't perceive this risk prior to purchase so it would be reasonable to require some consumer protection in this domain.
^

What he said!

Last edited by Foosh; 11-26-2017 at 01:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
George Dediashvili (11-26-2017), JOEHAWK (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 AM
George Dediashvili
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
You are new to the forum and you are getting a rude introduction to the attitude that you will often find here.

I read this forum a good bit, but it is not generally a friendly forum unless you are praising Corvettes. Otherwise you are a troll by default and must prove your sincerity or be shot down in flames.

A moderator recently commented on the nasty attitude on this forum and how he felt that it must change. But I am not sure that this problem can be fixed, since it comes from the attitude of some of the people who post here.

On most forums that I use people are trying to help each other, listen to what others have to say and offer support, but here that is often not the case.

its okay, it seems like it’s an online type of atttide that we see on so many different platforms
nowadays. It’s mob mentality but if you’re strong enough to not act like that, you are above average . Thank you for your comment you’re awesome
JOEHAWK (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:39 AM
George Dediashvili
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NSC5

Thank you so much for this comment, I’ll look into it.

Quick Reply: Blown engine-dealer said they won’t fix?!?!