Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-brake sticking after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:46 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Interesting, I had a C6 but it was my DD. I never consciously bothered to park it in reverse. Seems pretty dumb to require that. I wonder what was draining the battery in the C6 if parked in something other than reverse. BTW this says it's for C5's not C6's.

So then, it is really no difference if I park it in reverse or 1st or 2nd, etc.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria

Yep or what I do and have done with all 5 Vettes! I leave it in neutral!

Comes from old habit that with my first car a ‘41 Ford and 2nd ‘50 Ford, if in gear and someone hit your bumper when parallel parking (we had real bummers then) could hurt a trans gear.

Frankly as flat as we are in Eastern SC it’s a none issue. If I ever have to park on an incline I would put it in gear. But no inclines from Myrtle Beach to Society Hill SC, 2 hours away!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Interesting, I had a C6 but it was my DD. I never consciously bothered to park it in reverse. Seems pretty dumb to require that. I wonder what was draining the battery in the C6 if parked in something other than reverse. BTW this says it's for C5's not C6's.

This issue was strictly a C6 M6 issue. The C6 progressively went through multiple "shut-down" steps, each of which reduced the drain on the battery as various functionality was shut down. For some dumb reason, parts of the shut down procedure would not begin unless the transmission was in Reverse gear. As a DD you probably would never notice the issue.

As other have pointed out, the C7 M7 does not have that problem.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by drs
This issue was strictly a C6 M6 issue. The C6 progressively went through multiple "shut-down" steps, each of which reduced the drain on the battery as various functionality was shut down. For some dumb reason, parts of the shut down procedure would not begin unless the transmission was in Reverse gear. As a DD you probably would never notice the issue.

I think that was the C5 with the issue. I had the M6 C6 and there was NO issue with me leaving it in neutral.

Elmer
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by drs

Yeah but this says it's for C5's not C6's.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I think that was the C5 with the issue. I had the M6 C6 and there was NO issue with me leaving it in neutral.

Elmer
My recollection is that it was just the first year (2005) of C6 manual tranny, and a program update was later issued to correct the problem on 2005's if desired.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:44 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Fiction for all 2006 and newer Corvette models with manual transmission.

Fact for all 2005 Corvette models with manual transmission.

AKA DBS Dead Battery Syndrome

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 11-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (11-28-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

You don't need to set the E-Brake. Similar to me parking in "Park" in my garage, no E-Brake.
Even when driving my automatic cars I always put on the emergency brake. I feel like it's easier on the transmission. My wife never uses the emergency brake and when I drive her BMW (or my Honda) after she was the last one to drive them, the transmissions both engage a little bit harsher when putting them into reverse without that emergency brake being used. That can't be good for them in the long run.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I am fairly confident it isn't the E brake sticking, it is the primary brake pads that "bond" to the rotor when parked wet (rain or just washed) or when a sudden increase in temperature causes moisture to build up on heavy metal parts that only slowly increase in temperature.

This can happen with any vehicle but it more noticeable on vehicles with greater braking capability, like our Corvette.

About a year ago a member posted where both front wheels were completely locked after parking the car over the weekend just after washing it. Generally a little gentle rocking shifting from forward to reverse will break them loose but in rare cases you will actually rip off part of the pad material so avoidance is best. After washing use a blower to dry the wheel area or take it for a short drive and ride the brakes enough to heat them up, do the same before parking for a longer period after driving in the rain. Some pads and rotor material are worse than others about this issue.

Last edited by NSC5; 11-27-2017 at 07:00 PM.
GM'er (11-28-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Even when driving my automatic cars I always put on the emergency brake. I feel like it's easier on the transmission. My wife never uses the emergency brake and when I drive her BMW (or my Honda) after she was the last one to drive them, the transmissions both engage a little bit harsher when putting them into reverse without that emergency brake being used. That can't be good for them in the long run.
On an incline, using the parking brake in an automatic avoids loading the parking pin in the transmission. I generally set the brake first, release the footbrake to load the park brake, then put it into park. This way the transmission isn't really involved. It has no idea I'm on a hill because the brake is taking all that torque.

Similarly, if you're on flat ground, the transmission can't know and doesn't care whether you've set the brake or not.

With respect to washing the wheels, I had mine lock up enough that I dragged the fronts on concrete while backing out. As soon as I hit the driveway they broke free. Didn't hurt anything, but sure doesn't feel like it's good for anything either!

Last edited by davepl; 11-27-2017 at 07:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by davepl:
Maxie2U (11-27-2017), Patman (11-27-2017), Skid Row Joe (11-28-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Fiction for all 2006 and newer Corvette models with manual transmission.

Fact for all 2005 Corvette models with manual transmission.

AKA DBS Dead Battery Syndrome

Elmer
Well, that would explain what I said above. I had a 2005 Corvette with a manual transmission, and I missed the memo that it was later corrected.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I am fairly confident it isn't the E brake sticking, it is the primary brake pads that "bond" to the rotor when parked wet (rain or just washed) ...

After washing use a blower to dry the wheel area or take it for a short drive and ride the brakes enough to heat them up, do the same before parking for a longer period after driving in the rain.
Worse after washing as even when raining your using your brakes to stop. Doesn't take much of a stop to get the rotors hot regardless of rain. Stopping energy is quickly converted to heat.

I always drive a short distance after washing. Doesn't take many stops to heat and dry the rotors and avoid rust. When I am back in the driveway, I pick up water drops that spilled from the mirrors, spoiler and clean up water drops on the wheels. That is when I apply a matte tire dressing, then park.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-28-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NSC5
I am fairly confident it isn't the E brake sticking, it is the primary brake pads that "bond" to the rotor when parked wet (rain or just washed) or when a sudden increase in temperature causes moisture to build up on heavy metal parts that only slowly increase in temperature.

This can happen with any vehicle but it more noticeable on vehicles with greater braking capability, like our Corvette.

About a year ago a member posted where both front wheels were completely locked after parking the car over the weekend just after washing it. Generally a little gentle rocking shifting from forward to reverse will break them loose but in rare cases you will actually rip off part of the pad material so avoidance is best. After washing use a blower to dry the wheel area or take it for a short drive and ride the brakes enough to heat them up, do the same before parking for a longer period after driving in the rain. Some pads and rotor material are worse than others about this issue.
GM actually has a service bulletin noting this.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:24 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
GM actually has a service bulletin noting this.
Anyone have a link to this service bulletin?

I notice that the brakes on my GS sometimes stick after being parked for more than a few hours. Didn't happen often enough for me to correlate wet car with the sticking brakes.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:26 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by muncie21
Anyone have a link to this service bulletin?
Not offhand, but I doubt there's a fix. It's more likely a "Yep, that happens, don't sweat it" kind of TSB.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Not offhand, but I doubt there's a fix. It's more likely a "Yep, that happens, don't sweat it" kind of TSB.
I agree. Wet rotors and parking the car over night right after washing will definitely build up corrosion between the rotor and pad that needs to be broken loose. Will happen on any car with iron rotors and pads that have some metallic compound. Of course some car wheels don't let a lot of water get on the rotors when the car is being washed so it won't be as noticeable on them. With the Corvette wheels you are spraying water directly on the rotors when washing the car.

From the standpoint of something to worry about it comes in significantly lower than worrying about whether my shoe laces are dirty and I don't spend much time worrying about the shoe laces.

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Go to corvetteactioncenter.com under C7/Brakes. As Bill said it is not something to be fixed by service dept. It just advises service depts. of the problem & to explain not fixable. Use steps as others have described to avoid. PS: Wish someone would advise this moron (ME) how to post links so I don't have to type them out-DOH!

Last edited by madrob2020; 02-18-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To E-brake sticking after sitting

Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

I had a 2001 Z06 manual and NEVER used the parking brake. The car was usually parked in 1st gear. I NEVER had a battery drain issue, either.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

No No No No (!)
The C5 M6 never had the "battery drain if not left parked in R" issue....that was the C6 that had this problem. I parked my C5 M6 in neutral for the 15 years I had it, and never had the battery drained because of that.

Last edited by ersatz928; 02-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Exactly why I don't put/leave them on if vehicles are to be parked any amount of time.

Last edited by Avanti; 02-19-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: E-brake sticking after sitting