Sponsored by:

Looking for warranty opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Looking for warranty opinions

Its time to extend the warranty on my 2015 C7 Z07 as I bought it on January 2, 2015. I've been doing research on warranties and polling the field of providers including my dealer and Fichtner. What I'm having a problem with is my car has a 100,000 warranty including engine, tranny, etc. The warranties offered by these third party guys cover the same thing as well and the list of Exclusions is so L-O-O-O-N-G that it seems a waste of time to extend the warranty for $2000 or more.

Anybody have experience with this and what did you do?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Will you keep it longer than 5 years? OEM warranty will expire in 5 years. You should be able to purchase a GMEPP that will give you at least 2 more years BtoB.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Thanks. Yes, will probably keep it for quite some time unless I croak before I get the next one (possible at my age). No, You can't get a BtoB extension - the exclusion list practically lists the whole car. Here's a example, not the whole list:

"Exclusion List
Components that are not covered are those listed on the Exclusion List:
A. Any of the following parts: carburetor, battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts), standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3,000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/video equipment, pixel damage due to impact on display screens, key fobs, tire pressure sensors, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck, weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages, tires and wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.
B. Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's Owner's Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts, which include, but are not limited to: alignments, adjustments, wheel balancing, tune-ups, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, hoses, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings/shoes, and wiper blades. Filters, lubricants, coolants, fluids, and refrigerants will be covered only if replacement is required in connection with a breakdown.
C. For any damage and/or Breakdown resulting from collision, road hazard, fire, theft, vandalism, riot, acts of terrorism, explosion, lightning, earthquake, freezing, rust or corrosion, windstorm, hail, water or flood, acts of God, salt, environmental damage, chemicals, contamination of fluids, fuels, coolants or lubricants.
D. Any breakdown caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle, or improper servicing or repairs subsequent to purchase. Any breakdown caused by sludge buildup resulting from your failure to perform recommended maintenance services, or failure to maintain proper levels of lubricants and/or coolants, or breakdowns caused by fuels containing more than 10 percent ethanol (if the engine was not manufactured for this fuel mixture), or failure to protect your vehicle from further damage when a breakdown has occurred or failure to have your vehicle towed to the service facility when continued operation may result in further damage. Continued operation includes your failure to observe warning lights, gauges, or any other signs of overheating or component failure, such as, fluid leakage, slipping, knocking, or smoking, and not protecting your vehicle by continuing to drive, creating damage beyond the initial failure.
E. Any repair or replacement of any covered part if a breakdown has not occurred. Any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires be replaced or repaired or is an update, and is not a breakdown, is your responsibility and expense.
F. Any alterations that have been made to your vehicle or use of your vehicle in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to the failure of any custom or add-on part, all frame or suspension modifications, lift kits, any tire that is not recommended by the original manufacturer if it creates an odometer/speedometer variance of greater than 4 percent, and trailer hitches. Also not covered are any emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications, engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications."

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Will you keep it longer than 5 years? OEM warranty will expire in 5 years. You should be able to purchase a GMEPP that will give you at least 2 more years BtoB.

Last edited by Foxer55; 11-25-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Warranty question

Foxer 55

Platinum Coverage -Virtually the entire vehicle (see section “Exclusions” for non-covered items) in looking at exclusions most everything listed is not on your car such as carb, rotor, etc. A lot of the items listed are covered under your factory warranty such as catalytic convertor, exhaust, emission items so that is why they are excluded. The only things not covered that most customers want covered are the key fobs and tire monitors.

I have also sent you an email to feel free to contact me.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dennis Fichtner:
Maxie2U (11-26-2017), MHE-Plex (02-10-2019), movinlow (11-26-2017), Rebel Yell (11-26-2017), Red C8 of Jax (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

You're a good man, Dennis!

Key fobs and tire monitors? Pocket change. I'm more concerned with things like shocks ($500?) control arms, springs, and so forth. Maybe airbags ($1500) or PTM system.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
Foxer 55

Platinum Coverage -Virtually the entire vehicle (see section “Exclusions” for non-covered items) in looking at exclusions most everything listed is not on your car such as carb, rotor, etc. A lot of the items listed are covered under your factory warranty such as catalytic convertor, exhaust, emission items so that is why they are excluded. The only things not covered that most customers want covered are the key fobs and tire monitors.

Last edited by Foxer55; 11-25-2017 at 11:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Foxer55,

Your 15MY car has a 5yr or 100K mile (whichever comes first) power train-only warranty and 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty. With the exception of the A8 transmission, the power train is pretty bullet-proof. It's the electronics that are usually the biggest worry. I bought the extended warranty just for that.

However, shocks and suspension components are also covered under the Chevrolet Protection Plan (GM-sanctioned extended warranty) that Dennis usually has the best price on. It looks to me that you haven't read the exclusions very carefully. Shocks and suspension components are not on the list of excluded items. The exclusions mostly cover things that are considered wear items, many of which are not covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty either.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Save your money most people never use or get their moneys worth on these extended warranties. EXCEPT for the ones that will respond to this thread and tell us how this or that broke and how the warranty paid for itself.

Last edited by dvilin; 11-26-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

If you plan on keeping your car longer than 5 years, get the extended warranty. Your car is now 3 years old and it will be 5 years old before you know it. As mentioned, the electronics on these car are very expensive and the A8 does have it's problems. On my 2015, I got the 72/60 extended warranty from Dennis at a great price. I plan on having some warranty left when I get my C8, and the extra warranty usually helps me sell the car quickly.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:00 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Its time to extend the warranty on my 2015 C7 Z07 as I bought it on January 2, 2015. I've been doing research on warranties and polling the field of providers including my dealer and Fichtner. What I'm having a problem with is my car has a 100,000 warranty including engine, tranny, etc. The warranties offered by these third party guys cover the same thing as well and the list of Exclusions is so L-O-O-O-N-G that it seems a waste of time to extend the warranty for $2000 or more.

Anybody have experience with this and what did you do?
Call Fitchner and talk to him, he will do right by you and tailor fit a warranty to your needs. He's the best and honest in the business.

Last edited by stillcrazy; 11-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've had the GM extended warranty on 3 previous vettes and paid for itself every time, unfortunately. We had a few items denied but overall the coverage was excellent.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:34 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

thanks for asking - I have the same situation / questions
Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Does anyone know if any Canadians purchased their extended warranty through a US dealer?
Dennis?

Is the warranty even valid in Canada?
With thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Foxer 55

Foxer, this is the man to talk to for the best price on an extended warranty. EZPZ transaction.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
If you plan on keeping your car longer than 5 years, get the extended warranty. Your car is now 3 years old and it will be 5 years old before you know it. As mentioned, the electronics on these car are very expensive and the A8 does have it's problems. On my 2015, I got the 72/60 extended warranty from Dennis at a great price. I plan on having some warranty left when I get my C8, and the extra warranty usually helps me sell the car quickly.

I purchased a GMEPP 7 year zero deductible warranty. I will trade it in on a C8 or ME or whatever is out in 2024. Warranty = insurance = peace of mind = no surprises. Yup I may even not have to use it but it's got my back.

Last edited by c54u; 11-26-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:30 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by c54u

I purchased a 7 year zero deductible warranty. I will trade it in on a C8 or ME or whatever is out in 2024. Warranty = insurance = peace of mind = no surprises. Yup I may even not have to use it but it's got my back.

I will likely sell or trade my C7 before my 7 year warranty expires. It may help sell the car or I'll cancel and get a partial refund.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 11-26-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

Can Vette
We can't sell warranties in Canada.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Can Vette
We can't sell warranties in Canada.
Do you cover Dodge vehicles?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for warranty opinions

Old 02-09-2019, 05:26 PM
WhiteRocket
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Track Days

Dennis,
The following statement is on the warranty web page.

The Protection Plan does not provide coverage for vehicles that are being or will be used for: taxi, rental, limousine or shuttle service, towing/wrecker service, police or emergency service, dumping (dump beds), cherry pickers, lifting or hoisting, principally off-road, or prearranged or organized racing or competitive driving.

Does this refer to class racing or would HPDE/Track Days void the warrenty?

I ask because Corvettes/Camaros are sold and marketed as track capable and does not void the warranty.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Originally Posted by WhiteRocket
Dennis,
The following statement is on the warranty web page.

The Protection Plan does not provide coverage for vehicles that are being or will be used for: taxi, rental, limousine or shuttle service, towing/wrecker service, police or emergency service, dumping (dump beds), cherry pickers, lifting or hoisting, principally off-road, or prearranged or organized racing or competitive driving.

Does this refer to class racing or would HPDE/Track Days void the warrenty?

I ask because Corvettes/Camaros are sold and marketed as track capable and does not void the warranty.
My view of this from a policy perspective is that the disclaimer addresses competitive driving. My understanding of HPDEs is that competing on the track is absolutely forbidden and will get you sent home. And I agree with you, Corvettes are sold as track vehicles and their warranty does cover any failures on the track as I have observed on several occasions. An acquaintance of mine blew his C6 engine on Turn 14 at VIR one week after he had renewed his then GM warranty. The GM staff at the track said, "Yup, covered," and the car was repaired under warranty. I did not manage to get a GM warranty for my C7 but I did get the warranty through who the dealer uses/sells and expect them to live up to the deal. I have been told a lot of it depends on dealer influence with the warranty underwriting.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 394 Posts

Do you plan to have a dealer do all of the maintenance? There is another thread going on now where Dennis recommends having the dealer do all service work, including oil changes to maintain coverage. I do my own maintenance and I have a GMEPP policy from Dennis. At the time he told me it was no problem doing my own maintenance. Sounds like he may be changing his tune.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598835942

Quick Reply: Looking for warranty opinions