C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint peeling at bumper corner/edge where it meets the fender - What's the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts
Default TSB Number

I wonder if I should post this separately since it is a big issue?
The following 3 users liked this post by In-n-Out:
806-Corvette (06-28-2018), Kevin A Jones (06-28-2018), SSTG (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 AM
806-Corvette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by In-n-Out

I wonder if I should post this separately since it is a big issue?
What is contained on the other 10 pages? Just more detail on the repair?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:27 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

It is step by step instructions for the body shop. They painted the rear bumper area where the body meets the body panel and rubs. I looked for this issue two months ago and it wasn't there. They took the nose and bumper off, prepped it, applied spacers and then blended the paint. You can't notice it at all. The guy has been painting for 40 years. I will say, that I was extremely P.O. that it took 10 months to get fixed. I am stationed in Alabama where it isn't necessarily known as Corvette Country. I purchased it from Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland. I informed them of the issue upon delivery back in August of 2017. Was called by the GM of the dealership and informed that I needed to be patient as the factory was shut down and I would receive a new painted nose. I called at the beginning of the year and then was informed I would not get a painted nose. Worked with their regional sales rep who reached out to the dealership in Birmingham and Montgomery. One of the local dealerships here refused to honor the warranty. I opened a case with Chevrolet and then had to educate the case worker on all the issues that we are facing. That took a little over two months. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted by 806-Corvette
What is contained on the other 10 pages? Just more detail on the repair?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I would be interested in seeing the other pages if it has instructions on any adjustment or reassembly procedure to prevent it happening again.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

I am at work right now and the document is at the house. Will see if I can take some photos and upload tonight.

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I would be interested in seeing the other pages if it has instructions on any adjustment or reassembly procedure to prevent it happening again.
The following 2 users liked this post by In-n-Out:
806-Corvette (06-28-2018), SSTG (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 PM
In-n-Out
Instructor

The following 4 users liked this post by In-n-Out:
2017C7 (06-29-2018), 806-Corvette (06-28-2018), Allen_B (07-19-2018), SSTG (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 PM
806-Corvette
Intermediate

In-And-Out:

Thanks for posting all of your repair paperwork. Everything I have read on the CF as the long term fix for the fascia issue is addressed in your TPS Paperwork. I will be headed to see my dealer next week. I will wait until after the 4th of July to have my fascia repaired. No need to start and stop for the 4th.

All in, how long was your car in the shop for the needed repairs and paint to fix the fascia?

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 PM
In-n-Out
Instructor

I dropped it off on the 12th of June (Tuesday). Their goal was to have it back to me on the 15th as their body shop guy was going on vacation. When they reviewed the TSB, they found that the rear needed to be looked at for potential paint issues. I looked at it about a month ago and didn’t see anything. They did. So there was a slight delay with that. Because of the additional issue, the body shop guy went on vacation. Bottom line, they had it for two weeks but some of that was due to the right person not being there.

Just a note. I am stationed in Montgomery Alabama. Not exactly Corvette country so I was worried. Capital Chevrolet refused to conduct the warranty work. The dealership I did go to at first said that they were not a Corvette dealership but a Chevy dealership! I informed the lady that this wasn’t a Ford Corvette. That was several months ago of me trying to get this issue resolved. I had to educate the case worker in Dearborn on the problems we face. I sent her a link to the Forum where we were posting our problems. Only to be told that they can’t use a forum blah blah blah. I informed her to not even go there as I am seeing people getting their issue fixed while I (and some of us) am being jerked around. I finally told her to reach out to Bowling Green since I am sure that they are aware. She finally did and that is when the ball got going.

Oh, the TSB doesn’t call for it but the dealership put spacers there too.

Sorry for the long post!

In-And-Out:

Thanks for posting all of your repair paperwork. Everything I have read on the CF as the long term fix for the fascia issue is addressed in your TPS Paperwork. I will be headed to see my dealer next week. I will wait until after the 4th of July to have my fascia repaired. No need to start and stop for the 4th.

All in, how long was your car in the shop for the needed repairs and paint to fix the fascia?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by In-n-Out; 06-28-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 PM
806-Corvette
Intermediate

I dropped it off on the 12th of June (Tuesday). Their goal was to have it back to me on the 15th as their body shop guy was going on vacation. When they reviewed the TSB, they found that the rear needed to be looked at for potential paint issues. I looked at it about a month ago and didn’t see anything. They did. So there was a slight delay with that. Because of the additional issue, the body shop guy went on vacation. Bottom line, they had it for two weeks but some of that was due to the right person not being there.

Just a note. I am stationed in Montgomery Alabama. Not exactly Corvette country so I was worried. Capital Chevrolet refused to conduct the warranty work. The dealership I did go to at first said that they were not a Corvette dealership but a Chevy dealership! I informed the lady that this wasn’t a Ford Corvette. That was several months ago of me trying to get this issue resolved. I had to educate the case worker in Dearborn on the problems we face. I sent her a link to the Forum where we were posting our problems. Only to be told that they can’t use a forum blah blah blah. I informed her to not even go there as I am seeing people getting their issue fixed while I (and some of us) am being jerked around. I finally told her to reach out to Bowling Green since I am sure that they are aware. She finally did and that is when the ball got going.

Oh, the TSB doesn’t call for it but the dealership put spacers there too.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks for posting!! I will let you know what my dealer says here in Lubbock, TX. The Zone Manager already agreed to repaint my Corvette but the paint shop foreman wanted to know what the root-cause fix is. So the dealer reached out to the Zone Manager again. He had no clue. I asked who his boss is. The Regional Director had no clue either but loves Corvettes and agreed to look into it. He is a young GM guy and can't get any old timers to give him the time of day. I gave the Service Manager at the dealer the GM Job Number to give it to the Regional Director. That was a week ago. No word from them yet.

I will give them a copy of your 11 pages and ask to schedule my repair. I will also hand walk a copy of your 11 pages over to the paint shop manager so he can begin to work my Corvette into his schedule. Like your paint shop they have a very experienced painter he wants to work on my car. (I hope I don't have any issues with the rear end. Like you don't see any issues.)

After I get my car repainted I will send you a case of beer or a bottle of your favorite whiskey / bourbon!! It that is against the law (to send booze in the mail) I'll find away!! Thanks a million!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Thanks! I am so happy that I can help other people having issues. Very frustrating indeed. I wish that the document was printed in color but they should be able to tell.

Keep us posted and I hope it is repaired perfectly!

Long live Buddy Holly!

Thanks for posting!! I will let you know what my dealer says here in Lubbock, TX. The Zone Manager already agreed to repaint my Corvette but the paint shop foreman wanted to know what the root-cause fix is. So the dealer reached out to the Zone Manager again. He had no clue. I asked who his boss is. The Regional Director had no clue either but loves Corvettes and agreed to look into it. He is a young GM guy and can't get any old timers to give him the time of day. I gave the Service Manager at the dealer the GM Job Number to give it to the Regional Director. That was a week ago. No word from them yet.

I will give them a copy of your 11 pages and ask to schedule my repair. I will also hand walk a copy of your 11 pages over to the paint shop manager so he can begin to work my Corvette into his schedule. Like your paint shop they have a very experienced painter he wants to work on my car. (I hope I don't have any issues with the rear end. Like you don't see any issues.)

After I get my car repainted I will send you a case of beer or a bottle of your favorite whiskey / bourbon!! It that is against the law (to send booze in the mail) I'll find away!! Thanks a million!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by In-n-Out:
806-Corvette (06-28-2018), lupicon (06-28-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I am reading from my phone, but will look closer when I get home. It looks like they are calling for significant cleaning and prep to address this adhesion problem?

Yep, as I figured all along it is mostly an adhesion issue. That explains why many cars don't have the issue and others do. Someone on the line wasn't doing their prep job.

Why is this TSB dated Nov 2017? I haven't found it prior to your post.

Last edited by djnice; 06-29-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:04 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

I know that the body shop manager said that they had to order the 3M “spacers.” He showed it to me and it looked like a clear tape. I am thinking some of the prep was to ensure that this spacer/tape adheres properly. Not 100% sure though.

I was thinking thst the Nov date was their publish date.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I went to the website printed on the bottom of the document, but the site is on a protected server and would not allow access. Does anyone have the document on a format that would permit it to be copied?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:01 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

I can scan later today and upload it.

Originally Posted by Apocolips
I went to the website printed on the bottom of the document, but the site is on a protected server and would not allow access. Does anyone have the document on a format that would permit it to be copied?
The following users liked this post:
Apocolips (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM
806-Corvette
Intermediate

I saved the images that were uploaded last night as .jpg. Glad to send those if you want. If In-n-Out can scan and upload a PDF that would be Excellent!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Here you all go!

I saved the images that were uploaded last night as .jpg. Glad to send those if you want. If In-n-Out can scan and upload a PDF that would be Excellent!!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette TSB for Paint.pdf (503.9 KB, 204 views)
The following users liked this post:
806-Corvette (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:58 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Perfect!!!!! Thank you. It's always nice to have documentation instead of word of mouth.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint peeling at bumper corner/edge where it meets the fender - What's the fix?

Old 06-29-2018, 11:19 AM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Yes! I remember seeing one forum member post that there was a TSB but never provided it. Then when I talk to Chevy, they act like there was nothing out there. There should be TSB thread/forum header that people can post these too. When I looked at the database that you had to pay for to get this, there were several other TSBs out there for the C7.

Perfect!!!!! Thank you. It's always nice to have documentation instead of word of mouth.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM
806-Corvette
Intermediate

Here you all go!
Thanks for the PDF!! This way my dealer can share the TBS with the Regional Director and my Corvette should be on the way to the paint shop!!

Long live Buddy Holly!!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
In-n-Out
Instructor

Hopefully they can repair it quickly! So far mine came out great!

Thanks for the PDF!! This way my dealer can share the TBS with the Regional Director and my Corvette should be on the way to the paint shop!!

Long live Buddy Holly!!

Quick Reply: Paint peeling at bumper corner/edge where it meets the fender - What's the fix?