Sponsored by:

Flat spots on tires on new 2017 Grand Sport at Kerbeck

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Great deals out there. Move on to the next one. Definitely a buyer’s market.
Good luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Glad we got the rest of the story, and the whole truth, from Kerbeck.

I couldn't deal with the OCD-ness of some Corvette buyers and owners.
The following users liked this post:
Newdude (11-29-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Flat

I assure you it doesn't take 15-20 miles for flat spots to go away. I sell MINI Coopers. 90% of them have RUN Flat Tires. Run Flats Tires Flat Spot quickly because of the rigid sidewall. Our test drive is 3 miles long. The cars that have been sitting shake a little (or alot if it's an aged unit). They are running smooth after the first mile or something else is wrong.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
When this happened on Saturday, we called our top Corvette tech at home and asked him to come in (45 minutes away) and check it out. He swapped out the tires for a fresh set but the customer was still wary and wanted to think about it. We had absolutely no problem with that since I don't want anyone purchasing a car they are not completely comfortable with.

The customer wanted us to give our own guarantee that if he wasn't happy after so many miles we would give him new tires if the warranty wouldn't which we were not willing to do.

When the shop opened Monday morning, we had the car road tested again and it was fine. Unfortunately we had another customer contact us last night to purchase the car. We are getting the wire transfer today. The car is still on the website because we leave it up till we have money in house and paperwork going out.

We did tell the customer today that we have a similar car in another color he could purchase and that if he came in during normal business hours he could ride in the car with our tech or service manager to check the ride quality.

I didn't want the customer to think we were making up the story of someone else buying the car.

Dave
Thanks Dave, that clears it up. As they say, there's always 2 sides to every story

Last edited by Thunder22; 11-28-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
What part of the car has a significant vibration do you have a problem understanding?

You're arrogance never ceases to amaze me.
Your naivete in believing the things some people say on an internet forum never ceases to amaze me, only to be surpassed by the notion that flat-spotting is an actual problem.
4thC4at60 (11-29-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Foosh
Your naivete in believing the things some people say on an internet forum never ceases to amaze me, only to be surpassed by the notion that flat-spotting is an actual problem.
Yeah, you knew both sides before dave posted, yup, you're all seeing, the great and powerful FOOSH! Never question the omniscient FOOSH!

Funny how you avoid the point that I was making, I would try to explain it to you again, but that would be like singing a song to a deaf man.

How did you know that the vibration was 100% caused by flat spotted tires? How did you know that Dave replaced all 4 when the OP said he only replaced 2? yeah, you knew, ok, lol Arrogance, you have the market cornered on that one.

Last edited by Thunder22; 11-28-2017 at 04:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder22:
WideVette (11-29-2017), Z06NJ (11-30-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Onrails
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
When this happened on Saturday, we called our top Corvette tech at home and asked him to come in (45 minutes away) and check it out. He swapped out the tires for a fresh set but the customer was still wary and wanted to think about it. We had absolutely no problem with that since I don't want anyone purchasing a car they are not completely comfortable with.

The customer wanted us to give our own guarantee that if he wasn't happy after so many miles we would give him new tires if the warranty wouldn't which we were not willing to do.

When the shop opened Monday morning, we had the car road tested again and it was fine. Unfortunately we had another customer contact us last night to purchase the car. We are getting the wire transfer today. The car is still on the website because we leave it up till we have money in house and paperwork going out.

We did tell the customer today that we have a similar car in another color he could purchase and that if he came in during normal business hours he could ride in the car with our tech or service manager to check the ride quality.

I didn't want the customer to think we were making up the story of someone else buying the car.

Dave
As Paul Harvey would have said.......
Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I have to side with the OP here. For him to pay for and drive off in a car when he wasn't completely satisfied or had lingering reservations he would have to be nuts. If the car has been sitting since March there can't be that big a demand for it and surely there are others available.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by USA1-
I assure you it doesn't take 15-20 miles for flat spots to go away. I sell MINI Coopers. 90% of them have RUN Flat Tires. Run Flats Tires Flat Spot quickly because of the rigid sidewall. Our test drive is 3 miles long. The cars that have been sitting shake a little (or alot if it's an aged unit). They are running smooth after the first mile or something else is wrong.
Not according to Foosh, it takes a lot longer than that, 15-20 miles!!!! I'm so confused, who should I believe, a guy who sells min-coopers and has first hand knowledge, or the omniscient FOOSH!?!?!

I think I'll stick with you

Old 11-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TyBoo
I have to side with the OP here. For him to pay for and drive off in a car when he wasn't completely satisfied or had lingering reservations he would have to be nuts. If the car has been sitting since March there can't be that big a demand for it and surely there are others available.
You are 100% correct. Even though we knew there was nothing wrong with the car we put no pressure on him to take it. He was here for about 6 hours trying to decide. After our tech came in and replace the front tires the OP was going to take it but wanted us to drop the price which we weren't willing to do. When he called today the car was already gone. There aren't that many 2017s left with the big incentives from the factory.

Dave
The following 9 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
4thC4at60 (11-29-2017), beaversstonehaven (11-30-2017), CACTI 1 (11-29-2017), Corvette ED (11-28-2017), Foosh (11-28-2017), Thunder22 (11-28-2017), tntls7 (11-30-2017), TyBoo (11-28-2017), Vetteram (12-16-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

6 hours? Wow. I think the last time I bought a vette from Kerbeck/Harry I was in/out in about an hour, and that's because I couldn't get my father to leave the showroom, and that hour included using the men's room twice
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Looks like a nice ‘17 GS to me. Surprised it stayed unsold that long.

VIN 1G1YX2D7XH5xxxxxx Engine 6.2L (376 ci) V8 DI engine Transmission 7-speed manual transmissionTrim Jet Black, Perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces Color Admiral Blue Metallic
Pricing
Destination Charge $995.00
Installed Options
Carbon Flash Badge Package $100.00
Red-painted brake calipers $595.00
Wheels, 19" front and 20" rear, Black aluminum, Grand Sport $495.00
Performance data recorder and Navigation1 $1,795.00
Grand Sport 2LT $4,455.00
Red safety belt color $395.00
Total Options $7,835.00
MSRP* $74,280.00

Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thunder22
6 hours? Wow. I think the last time I bought a vette from Kerbeck/Harry I was in/out in about an hour, and that's because I couldn't get my father to leave the showroom, and that hour included using the men's room twice

I think I was in and out of the dealership here in less than an hour when I traded my C6 for my C7. If anyone is at a dealer for 6 hours deciding whether to buy a car or not, they probably shouldn't buy it. It's also a clue to the dealer that the customer may be so OCD their life would be miserable if they sold it to him.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
4thC4at60 (11-29-2017), Foosh (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve_R

I think I was in and out of the dealership here in less than an hour when I traded my C6 for my C7. If anyone is at a dealer for 6 hours deciding whether to buy a car or not, they probably shouldn't buy it. It's also a clue to the dealer that the customer may be so OCD their life would be miserable if they sold it to him.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:56 PM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know - $75,000 is a lot of money (to me) and I would want to be sure I was making the right decision. If it took 6 hours then that's what it took. I don't think it's unreasonable to have certain expectations when you spend your hard-earned cash on a vehicle. It should be clean, it should not have flat spots. A little customer education up front would probably have resolved this issue with the buyer. A simple explanation about flat spots and why not to worry about them - maybe take it out with the buyer and run it for 2-3 miles. After all, he's paying you and wants to feel like his concerns are being taken seriously - who knows how long it took to be able to afford a car like this?
I help people either buy their home of sell their home - either way, usually the biggest transaction of their life. I do everything to make sure to explain upfront what to expect during the process and hold their hands (if they want me to) to the very end. I get lots of repeat business and referrals because of it.
I made the purchase of my car in less than an hour and with test drive of about 3 miles. Arranged delivery and was told to expect the car to be cleaned polished and sparkling when I came back. I came back for delivery to find my "new" car dirtier than when I last saw it with fingerprints smeared all over the windows. Didn't make a big stink about it - figured if that's the best they could do I wouldn't give them a second chance. IMO, that salesman should have inspected the car before I got there and corrected the condition - ah, but I had already paid for it. Some times we need to think about exceeding the buyer's expectations - never mind just barely meeting them. And with that .... I'll get off my soap box
Old 11-28-2017, 05:12 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Even if the tires had a problem I would expect that the manufacturer, Michelin, would have taken care of it. The OP did lose the car for a silly reason IMHO.
Foosh (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I am quite sure Kerbeck got a good laugh out of that, and most dealerships don't want the business of customers making unreasonable demands like that.

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's also a clue to the dealer that the customer may be so OCD their life would be miserable if they sold it to him.
I am reasonably certain that Kerbeck didn't become the "world's largest Corvette dealership" by thinking about their customers this way.
Metalgearsolid_x (11-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Flat spots on tires on new 2017 Grand Sport at Kerbeck

Old 11-28-2017, 05:20 PM
tptboy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it about "there was no problem" do people not understand? Some responses around here never cease to amaze me.
You’re the one being rude. I just wanted to know what people thought of the tire situation. If you think the tires would be ok, you take the gamble on a car that was sitting for months and covered in sand from Atlantic City. I made an appointment to see the car...the least they could have done was prepped it for sale before I showed up.

Last edited by tptboy; 11-28-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RipcordZ51
I don't know - $75,000 is a lot of money (to me) and I would want to be sure I was making the right decision. If it took 6 hours then that's what it took. I don't think it's unreasonable to have certain expectations when you spend your hard-earned cash on a vehicle. It should be clean, it should not have flat spots. A little customer education up front would probably have resolved this issue with the buyer. A simple explanation about flat spots and why not to worry about them - maybe take it out with the buyer and run it for 2-3 miles. After all, he's paying you and wants to feel like his concerns are being taken seriously - who knows how long it took to be able to afford a car like this?
I help people either buy their home of sell their home - either way, usually the biggest transaction of their life. I do everything to make sure to explain upfront what to expect during the process and hold their hands (if they want me to) to the very end. I get lots of repeat business and referrals because of it.
I made the purchase of my car in less than an hour and with test drive of about 3 miles. Arranged delivery and was told to expect the car to be cleaned polished and sparkling when I came back. I came back for delivery to find my "new" car dirtier than when I last saw it with fingerprints smeared all over the windows. Didn't make a big stink about it - figured if that's the best they could do I wouldn't give them a second chance. IMO, that salesman should have inspected the car before I got there and corrected the condition - ah, but I had already paid for it. Some times we need to think about exceeding the buyer's expectations - never mind just barely meeting them. And with that .... I'll get off my soap box
I would find a garage queen Z06 for less. That GS will take big drop quick! those tires may have done him a favor!
joemessman (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I am reasonably certain that Kerbeck didn't become the "world's largest Corvette dealership" by thinking about their customers this way.
I'm sure you're correct.

Originally Posted by tptboy
You’re the one being rude. I just wanted to know what people thought of the tire situation. If you think the tires would be ok, you take the gamble on a car that was sitting for months and covered in sand from Atlantic City. If this is Dave or someone for Kerbeck it just goes to show how much you don’t care about your potential customers.
What does sand have to do with it now?

A large number of C7 owners put their car away for several months every winter. They do this for several years with no damage from flat spotting of the tires.

Quick Reply: Flat spots on tires on new 2017 Grand Sport at Kerbeck