Sponsored by:

How To Video: Installing a Trailer Hitch on Your 7th Gen Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by 19672014
Correct. Though the “frame mods” are simply drilling a few holes in the bumper cross member and installing spacers inside so that it isn’t crushed when the hitch receiver bolts are tightened.
Yeah, I watched the linked vids in the 1st post. Unfortunately, the guy totally skips over the entire critical and hardest portion of the install (sourcing all the parts and mounting the hitch) and spends 99% of his time talking about what is by far the easiest task (wiring). I guess it is just a "here - look at the finished product of these unknown modded parts that I installed" video and not a true "how-to".

So as I surmised, there is a good bit of modding/fabricating involved (but just not the 'frame mods' I mentioned):
1) Sourcing an off-the-shelf semi-generic hitch of unknown origin and application,
2) Sourcing and modding a lower "L" bracket of unknown origin and dimensions,
3) Sourcing the needed spacers of critical wall thickness and OD, and cutting them to an unpublished (but critical) length,
4) Figuring out how to insert spacers to the center of the beam and lining them up to the proper position, and finally,
5) Drilling the 4 holes in the frame.

All the above steps are certainly possible, but far from an even semi-commercialized solution. Not even close to a "drill 4 holes and mount hitch PN#123456, trim facia for clearance" operation as is common for real hitches.

Also not mentioned: how to avoid dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion between the steel hitch hardware and the aluminum beam of the frame. True, it could be many years before that corrosion becomes a real issue, but it is an issue none-the-less.

I'm guessing that low demand wouldn't support anyone productizing the hitch described above, so I guess anyone wanting a C7 hitch is still stuck with fabbing one up.

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-19-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Yeah, I watched the linked vids in the 1st post. Unfortunately, the guy totally skips over the entire critical and hardest portion of the install (sourcing all the parts and mounting the hitch) and spends 99% of his time talking about what is by far the easiest task (wiring). I guess it is just a "here - look at the finished product of these unknown modded parts that I installed" video and not a true "how-to".

So as I surmised, there is a good bit of modding/fabricating involved (but just not the 'frame mods' I mentioned):
1) Sourcing an off-the-shelf semi-generic hitch of unknown origin and application,
2) Sourcing and modding a lower "L" bracket of unknown origin and dimensions,
3) Sourcing the needed spacers of critical wall thickness and OD, and cutting them to an unpublished (but critical) length,
4) Figuring out how to insert spacers to the center of the beam and lining them up to the proper position, and finally,
5) Drilling the 4 holes in the frame.

All the above steps are certainly possible, but far from an even semi-commercialized solution. Not even close to a "drill 4 holes and mount hitch PN#123456, trim facia for clearance" operation as is common for real hitches.

Also not mentioned: how to avoid dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion between the steel hitch hardware and the aluminum beam of the frame. True, it could be many years before that corrosion becomes a real issue, but it is an issue none-the-less.

I'm guessing that low demand wouldn't support anyone productizing the hitch described above, so I guess anyone wanting a C7 hitch is still stuck with fabbing one up.
Pretty much, it isn't an undoable job mine took me two afternoons to do. the hardest part was plugging in the wiring harness to the tail lights.

Last edited by ErnieN85; 03-19-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis
No, it’s legitimately a great idea and really useful. Clean install too.
I took it the wrong way, I owe you an apology , SORRY!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I just wathed the video on how to remove the lower bumper. I just need to get to it , Just refilled the argon tank for the mig
Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 AM
tastegw
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Wide Tires and Slime don't mix very well.
lol
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM
exprodiver
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's to bad they don't have a hitch set up like the SSR. Only see it when it is on.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:12 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I was hoping an aftermarket company had this.Where you didn’t need to do anything but mount it.I need this done to take the tires to the track.

Quick Reply: How To Video: Installing a Trailer Hitch on Your 7th Gen Corvette