C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I understand the snow, sand and salt thing but not the cold weather thing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,109 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default I understand the snow, sand and salt thing but not the cold weather thing.

I understand myself included put the car away for the winter when it snows and salt and sand are thrown all over the road. I just can't understand why people put their C7 and all Corvettes away just because it is cold like 35-55 degrees like it is here in Massachusetts this week. Went out for about a 10 mile ride today weather was 50 degrees just to keep the car going until I have to put it away for good. Anyone can do whatever they want because it is their car but just don't understand why people for example say my car is going to be put away for the winter say September 1St, October 1ST or November1ST NO MATTER WHAT even when their hasn't been any snow,sand or salt.Sometimes I make it all the way to January and back out in March or April. I always wait before I take it back out for that 1 big rain storm to wash away all the sand and salt off the roads. Thanks Dave

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Always Red Dave:
Corgidog1 (12-04-2017), dvilin (12-01-2017), Judgment Day (12-04-2017), snappy2u (12-04-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 03:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I always wait before I take it back out for that 1 big rain storm to wash away all the sand and salt off the roads. Thanks Dave
Hmm, when I live in NE Ohio along Lake Eire I parked my 260Z until spring. With all the salt mixed with sand from the huge salt mines under Lake Eire the roads were coated white until April or May! It was on the side of the road regardless of the rain of snow.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, when I live in NE Ohio along Lake Eire I parked my 260Z until spring. With all the salt mixed with sand from the huge salt mines under Lake Eire the roads were coated white until April or May! It was on the side of the road regardless of the rain of snow.
Well that is a good example but unordinary reason that most of us in snow areas would not be exposed to.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:07 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I understand myself included put the car away for the winter when it snows and salt and sand are thrown all over the road. I just can't understand why people put their C7 and all Corvettes away just because it is cold like 35-55 degrees like it is here in Massachusetts this week. Went out for about a 10 mile ride today weather was 50 degrees just to keep the car going until I have to put it away for good. Anyone can do whatever they want because it is their car but just don't understand why people for example say my car is going to be put away for the winter say September 1St, October 1ST or November1ST NO MATTER WHAT even when their hasn't been any snow,sand or salt.Sometimes I make it all the way to January and back out in March or April. I always wait before I take it back out for that 1 big rain storm to wash away all the sand and salt off the roads. Thanks Dave
I don't even understand the snow, salt and sand thing. It's all about tires and car washes. It's like magic my car gets dirty and salt on it and I go through a car wash and it's gone!

Last edited by PobreWey; 12-01-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by PobreWey
I don't even understand the snow, salt and sand thing. It's all about tires and car washes. It's like magic my car gets dirty and salt on it and I go through a car wash and it's gone!
It's still pretty easy to spot a car from the north that has been driven extensively during the winter. The car wash doesn't get all of that salt residue off the undercarriage. The difference in rust and corrosion between a car that has been driven on salty roads during the winter and a car that is covered and garaged during the winter is substantial.

Cinders, sand, and rock salt also hurt the appearance of the car. I can always spot the chips all over the front of the car and on the fenders behind the wheel wells.

There's nothing wrong with driving your car during the winter, but not all of us want to put that kind of wear and tear on the body and frame.
The following 3 users liked this post by Billy346:
3 Z06ZR1 (12-01-2017), 449er (12-03-2017), vbdenny (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This. It's a depreciating Chevy. I just had A/S tires put on mine yesterday. I live in Colorado and drive it all year unless the snow is too deep. Had it over 3.5 years and never used the battery tender because it doesn't sit long enough to need it. I'm not saving it for the next owner.

To each their own.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Italianfox (12-02-2017), Scruff Vette (12-02-2017), Z06NJ (12-03-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

For me, it's a pride of ownership thing. I want to clean it properly before it goes into storage, which include complete detailing, Stabil in the gas tank, etc.

It's just a whole lot easier to do that when the weather is nice than it is when it is 20 DegF and blowing outside. I've done it both ways --- doing it when the weather is nice is way more preferable.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
pika
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

there are some nice days during winter here in NJ so I still take it out as long as the roads are clear and it's above freezing
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (12-03-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Hmm, was in Calgary (where you live) on business years ago when the high for the day was -40 (C=F.) Salt does nothing at those temps! Not sure if you'all use it. I recall all cars had a plug coming out of the grill and you plugged in the block heater at work!

The problem in some parts of the States is salt is cheap. There are huge salt mines that go miles under Lake Erie. The salt mixed with dirt/sand is overburden and cheap. It's used by the towns in the area. When I lived there I was convinced Detroit paid for the transportation!

Agree sand washes off, but I brought my CJ5 Jeep to a do-it-yourself car wash often and washed inside and out! Floor still rusted!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-01-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
It's still pretty easy to spot a car from the north that has been driven extensively during the winter. The car wash doesn't get all of that salt residue off the undercarriage. The difference in rust and corrosion between a car that has been driven on salty roads during the winter and a car that is covered and garaged during the winter is substantial.

Cinders, sand, and rock salt also hurt the appearance of the car. I can always spot the chips all over the front of the car and on the fenders behind the wheel wells.

There's nothing wrong with driving your car during the winter, but not all of us want to put that kind of wear and tear on the body and frame.
You do realize the C7 is an all aluminum chassis w/ plastic (SMC) panels don't you?

Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion.

Rust on iron and steel can affect structural integrity eventually. That is not the case w/ aluminum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Silver C7 (12-03-2017), Walt White Coupe (12-02-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:30 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Summer tires at <45 degrees are, can be, a problem...isn't going to a car wash against "the CODE"?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:31 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes. When my new Stingray arrives it will get AS tires and be driven. Of course the SUV will be used when conditions require or probably most of the time.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:34 PM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You do realize the C7 is an all aluminum chassis w/ plastic (SMC) panels don't you?

Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion.

Rust on iron and steel can affect structural integrity eventually. That is not the case w/ aluminum.
So my car is getting stronger all winter long, nice
Old 12-01-2017, 04:38 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in Mass as well, we have been lucky this fall, I have still been driving mine as well, took mine to work all week too. We may get a few more good rides in... but once the ice and salt hit, fill the tank, add the Stabil, wipe it down, plug it in, and cover it till spring...

Last edited by madmusicltd; 12-01-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:04 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, was in Calgary (where you live) on business years ago when the high for the day was -40 (C=F.) Salt does nothing at those temps! Not sure if you'all use it. I recall all cars had a plug coming out of the grill and you plugged in the block heater at work!

The problem in some parts of the States is salt is cheap. There are huge salt mines that go miles under Lake Erie. The salt mixed with dirt/sand is overburden and cheap. It's used by the towns in the area. When I lived there I was convinced Detroit paid for the transportation!

Agree sand washes off, but I brought my CJ5 Jeep to a do-it-yourself car wash often and washed inside and out! Floor still rusted!
I think you're right it's mainly sand. My car has 3m coating for rock chips etc however I do agree without a doubt I will probably get some damage from rocks etc and need to fix it however I'm more than happy to.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

I think you're right it's mainly sand. My car has 3m coating for rock chips etc however I do agree without a doubt I will probably get some damage from rocks etc and need to fix it however I'm more than happy to.
PobreWey, you have the same attitude of my 30 almost 31 year old son. He likes nice cars and has driven BENZ,CADDYS but they are just cars to him and he even smokes in them and goes through the car wash when they are dirty. He likes Corvettes but thinks I am crazy for constantly cleaning and OCD'S I have about my Corvette and too a lesser extent my family car. Good for you for doing what you want with your own car that makes you happy. Maybe now I will look at the way my son takes care of his CADDY in a different way now that I got your perspective to each their own!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Depends on where you live. If you live where I used to in the Midwest. The roads once the first snow flies are covered with salt and gravel. The street I lived on was frozen ice packed snow with 2- 6 inch ruts frozen for more 60 days solid!

In that scenario. You would be half nuts to drive your Z06 Corvette and would IMO look like an idiot out there if you did snow tires or not!

Fast forward here in western Oregon in the valley. 40 is an average winter high. No salt and they rarely use gravel and if they do a sweeper cleans it up with in a week of a snow event. So no reason not to drive the Z06 MOST of the time but I still drive 1 of my 3 trucks a lot. I just drive the Z06 like a normal car not expecting to play race car with it.

My tricky 3 level beach home has a car wash full floor drain with hot water in the garage under the home. Plus a full generator circuit like a hospital.
Power goes out? Everything comes back on

Get notified of new replies

To I understand the snow, sand and salt thing but not the cold weather thing.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

It's not the car it's the TIRES put a/s Michelins on it and drive away
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 PM
7Corvette5
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that it's a depreciating car that is meant to be enjoyed...I had parked mine in storage when we got our first snow (literally 10-15 minutes before it hit), and thought the car would be tucked in for the winter. However, then it warmed up again and on Monday I couldn't resist taking the car back out of storage as it's been -1-15 degrees C (30-58 degrees F) since. The C7 is too incredible to drive just sit in storage!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Yippee another why don’t you drive your corvette through a blizzard, hurricane, tornado, rain thread. It’s really simple guys, it’s my car that’s why. Drive yours in the snow. No one cares.

Quick Reply: I understand the snow, sand and salt thing but not the cold weather thing.