Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst sucker sticker of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Worst add-on ever, hardley we’ve all seen worse...but hyperbole is typical for this forum. I find the title ironic since apparently you ended up purchasing the car...I guess you answered your own question.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM
FormerBiker
Race Director

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Funny thing about the wheel locks. When we bought our jeep, the dealer had pictures on the wall of every vehicle in their lot sitting on the ground with tires and wheels missing. Said it happened on a sunday night.

BTW our jeep came with wheel locks the dealer added at no charge. They said it was just the cost of doing business.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Consumer's Report says nitrogen don't make a bit of difference compared to AIR. NASCAR USES IT BUT.....................
Consumer Reports did a study in 2006 where they measured pressure loss of nitrogen-filled Vs air-filled tires over a one year period. Their conclusion was that nitrogen does reduce tire pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only 1.3 psi for the 12 months.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:06 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 243 Posts

And don't forget about the ultimate dealer con:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I can't resist sharing the "protection package" sucker charge seen on my 2015 Nissan Frontier truck sticker. I didn't care since their bottom-line price was $800 lower than anyone else within a 250-mile radius, and the competition didn't add the towing package or a bed liner. When I inquired about what constituted a "protection package" they could only come up with a paint sealant application--$10 worth of product applied in an hour by a minimum-wage worker.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
The 2018 Honda CR-V my wife just bought had $2000 in dealer add-ons they wanted us to pay for, including the $299 Nitrogen tire fill. She got a loaded, top of the line Touring Model and the MSRP was still under $38K so adding $2k to that was pretty noticeable.

Some of the add-ons were things we would have done anyway (tinting, all weather mats, in addition to the stock ones) and some were meh (door mouldings, edge guards).

when we actually went to buy it we argued over the add-ons and they said they had to be included. So I gave them the internet prices on all the accessories and local prices for installing the tint, added them up, and told them they could have the $748 and no chance we were paying for nitrogen, since 78% of it should be free, anyway.

My wife is driving the CR-V so they weren't really stuck on their add-ons pricing. Though I 'm sure quite a few people take it at face value.
We bought an Accord V6 it had the mud flaps, some thing over the sunroof and nitrogen We didn't pay for any of it
Old 12-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Consumer Reports did a study in 2006 where they measured pressure loss of nitrogen-filled Vs air-filled tires over a one year period. Their conclusion was that nitrogen does reduce tire pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only 1.3 psi for the 12 months.
In other words NO ADVANTAGE
Old 12-12-2017, 04:43 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGreco53
I believe nitrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe...
That would be Hydrogen.

Air is over 70% nitrogen... tell them you have a special nitrogen mix of 70% and 20% Oxygen
Old 12-12-2017, 05:45 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Not to be a contrarian, but I have a fun story to add to this insanity. So I arrive at the dealer to check out a truck I'd seen on line. Since the O/L pics had been taken running boards and a bed liner had been added. The sales person told me not to worry, "If you don't want them, we can pull them off in a minute, otherwise you can bargain for them". We're closing the deal and I mentioned the bed liner and running boards. He said "let's don't worry about that just now. I have a couple of rookie managers back there and I just want to see if they catch it." Neither of us mentioned the matter again....

Last edited by BarneyZ; 12-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe nitrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe...
I will tell him how to get 80% nitrogen for free!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Thought I'd add this nice little add on from one of the local dealerships I was at today.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

When I was looking for a GT350, dealers wanted $10k more than sticker and that didn't even include anything extra lol.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 PM
vetterestorer1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would think that for $999 they could spell it correctly.......
Old 12-13-2017, 05:31 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I bought a Toyota Avalon that had things like that listed. I saw the car online but when I saw all the extra BS listed, I started to walk out. And then mysteriously it was super easy for them to remove the taped pin stripes and “forgive” the cost of the nitrogen. I was like if I don’t want nitrogen, will you take it out and just put the air back in? I got all kinds of odd looks. Not that I doubt the use of nitrogen, but what are you going to do when the tire eventually runs low? You’re going to put air in it. Air is mostly nitrogen btw. I think the markup for nitrogen is a scam.....how do you prove it’s in there?

I don’t know how many times a dealer will also tell me I need an alignment or other services when I don’t. Just another service that you really can’t prove or disprove anything was done. A quick check of your tires will tell you if you need one.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thompyt

Thought I'd add this nice little add on from one of the local dealerships I was at today.
None of that is stuff I’d want. I wouldn’t do tint at a dealer. I have a guy I trust and know what tint he is putting in the car.

What is UV theft lol? I don’t want UV on my car, so they can have it.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Originally Posted by karmatourer

Not taking "Market Adjustments" into consideration though.
Nice color though.
The following users liked this post:
karmatourer (12-16-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WGGS
I bought a Toyota Avalon that had things like that listed. I saw the car online but when I saw all the extra BS listed, I started to walk out. And then mysteriously it was super easy for them to remove the taped pin stripes and “forgive” the cost of the nitrogen. I was like if I don’t want nitrogen, will you take it out and just put the air back in? I got all kinds of odd looks. Not that I doubt the use of nitrogen, but what are you going to do when the tire eventually runs low? You’re going to put air in it. Air is mostly nitrogen btw. I think the markup for nitrogen is a scam.....how do you prove it’s in there?

I don’t know how many times a dealer will also tell me I need an alignment or other services when I don’t. Just another service that you really can’t prove or disprove anything was done. A quick check of your tires will tell you if you need one.
Ask the dealer to show you where they deflate the tires on new vehicles and than add the nitrogen. You will get a blank stare! Adding nitrogen consists of changing the valve stem caps to green.

Get notified of new replies

To Worst sucker sticker of all time?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
I can pretty much guarantee that anything anyone puts up in this thread today will be eclipsed by the super sucker stickers yet to come with introduction of the new C7 ZR1 and, after that, the new C8.

You will want to keep both hands on your billfold when looking to buy one of those cars!
Maybe Kerbeck will beat their own $43,000 mark up on that previous C6 ZR1.

Last edited by warren s; 12-13-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Quite frankly I want more argon in my tires... : )
Yep tics me off that CO2 gets all the publicity and it’s only 0.04% of the air and Argon at 0.9% or 23 times more, gets a back seat! Argon is a big molecule and dosn’t permeate though a tire as fast as nitrogen and oxygen! After a few top offs with Air may have 1% in the tire.

Saving Argon is my business, I help welders cut Argon (& Argon mixtues) gas waste by 50+%. The industrial gas companies just laugh about the waste as they know at least 3 times what is used by welders, even very large fabricators, is wasted!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-13-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:37 AM
karmatourer
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Worst add-on ever, hardley we’ve all seen worse...but hyperbole is typical for this forum. I find the title ironic since apparently you ended up purchasing the car...I guess you answered your own question.
So happy ALL of you have seen worse. I indeed purchased it but those charges were removed. Glad the irony wasn't wasted on you.But my 4 years of knowing Hill Country folks was different until now. Move along.

Quick Reply: Worst sucker sticker of all time?