Sponsored by:

Powerstop installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Powerstop installation

Got my new z26 pads for 18 zo6.1405 in front and 1718 back.thought I had everything in order and started on right front.easy swap even center bolt ok. Wear indicator clip ended up on top of outside pad of new powerstop On original left drivers side Brembo pad wear clip is on bottom of outside pad?any way I look at Brembo pads I took off on pass side front wear clip comes out on top of outside pad and bottom of inside pad. That is they are exact opposite and not mirror image.Am I missing something here? Does it matter? It’s late And I’ll finish other three wheels tomorrow. Maybe one of you can clarify. Also is jut a very thin fill of lube ok. I don’t want the squeals!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I installed mine last March and also had a few minor issues, but it sounds like they weren't the same as you encountered. I don't recall the configuration of the wear clips on the front and didn't have any problems with them, but the rear had them on both inner and outer rear pads which caused a fitment issue on the right rear inner pad. IIRC all stock pads had only one wear clip on them, which is all that's required. I described my install experiences here at the time, so you might read it to see if any of my description or others on that thread help.

The front pad box contained only one small packet of lube, which meant that I had to apply it sparingly to cover the back of all four front pads. The rear had two packets, which is odd since those pads are smaller. I assume the front should've been provided with two packets like the rear. All is well, though, as they've performed perfectly since installing them. No noise, almost no dust, and equal performance on the street as far as I can tell.

Last edited by iclick; 12-15-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Default Powerstop

Originally Posted by iclick
I installed mine last March and also had a few minor issues, but it sounds like they weren't the same as you encountered. I don't recall the configuration of the wear clips on the front and didn't have any problems with them, but the rear had them on both inner and outer rear pads which caused a fitment issue on the right rear inner pad. IIRC all stock pads had only one wear clip on them, which is all that's required. I described my install experiences here at the time, so you might read it to see if any of my description or others on that thread help.

The front pad box contained only one small packet of lube, which meant that I had to apply it sparingly to cover the back of all four front pads. The rear had two packets, which is odd since those pads are smaller. I assume the front should've been provided with two packets like the rear. All is well, though, as they've performed perfectly since installing them. No noise, almost no dust, and equal performance on the street as far as I can tell.
Wow! Over 200 views and only one reply.Thank you for responding. I saw your post back then too and it was helpful. Glad you are still happy with pads. As you know some aren’t. Late last nite pads didn’t match up. Wear clip is on top of outside pad on passenger side and bottom side on drivers. Went to do that side and didn’t pay too much attn on pass side. Seemed intuitive. I of course have Brembo from right and matching them up on right off the car there is no other configuration than clip up on right and down on left. Called powerstop and “Mom” was absolutely no help. “He’s not here “ rears have only on clip. Up on outer. Going out now and doing the remaining three.no instructions included on install from power stop. She did tell me all four pads are same so there is no way to mix them up. This leads to location difference of wear clip side to side.Btw my torque wrench doesn’t fit well on caliper bolt. Not sure how firm 12 ft lbs is? I’ll estimate. Report to follow on pads.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bikeman
Glad you are still happy with pads. As you know some aren’t.
Most or all of the complaints seem to relate to the pads changing the color of the rotors, which on my car is so minimal I wouldn't have noticed had I not read about it in other threads. I can't imagine why some think it is so unacceptable.

Late last nite pads didn’t match up. Wear clip is on top of outside pad on passenger side and bottom side on drivers.
Where it is shouldn't matter, as it is a very low-tech (but effective) solution.

...rears have only one clip.
Is that one clip per wheel or one per pad? Mine had one per pad, and the right inner rear clip created fitment problems, as it wouldn't slip all the way in. The stock Brembos had a clip only on the outer rear pad, but don't recall if the fronts had one or two per wheel. I'm sure yours would be the same as mine, though. Unless the inner and outer can wear unevenly I don't see the need for two per wheel.

She did tell me all four pads are same so there is no way to mix them up. This leads to location difference of wear clip side to side.
Yes, that makes sense. The location of the clips shouldn't matter.

Btw my torque wrench doesn’t fit well on caliper bolt. Not sure how firm 12 ft lbs is? I’ll estimate.
I didn't torque the center bolt, but 12 lb/ft isn't much. Just firm it up.

Last edited by iclick; 12-15-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Bikeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by iclick
Most or all of the complaints seem to relate to the pads changing the color of the rotors, which on my car is so minimal I wouldn't have noticed had I not read about it in other threads. I can't imagine why some think it is so unacceptable.

Where it is shouldn't matter, as it is a very low-tech (but effective) solution.

Is that one clip per wheel or one per pad? Mine had one per pad, and the right inner rear clip created fitment problems, as it wouldn't slip all the way in. The stock Brembos had a clip only on the outer rear pad, but don't recall if the fronts had one or two per wheel. I'm sure yours would be the same as mine, though. Unless the inner and outer can wear unevenly I don't see the need for two per wheel.

Yes, that makes sense. The location of the clips shouldn't matter.

I didn't torque the center bolt, but 12 lb/ft isn't much. Just firm it up.
All 4 wheels done.Did paint seal on each wheel too.The rears are a b%#&* for my my old back but got them back on.Did the bedding routine. Brief first impression is they are quiet and probably not quite the bite the Brembos have but If dust is down that’s ok. I certainly have no plans to spend another afternoon to switch back any time soon!
Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

The only minor annoyance of swapping the pads was that there is not much clearance between the back of the rear caliper and the plastic brake cooling duct, which limits how much of a small hammer swing you can make, even with a short punch, to get the retainer pins to seat fully back into the caliper.

And my discs are also slightly brown/bronze tinted from the Power Stop Z26 pads. I observed the same thing when I put Akebono low dust pads on my other car.

And a tip to make it easier when installing the wheels back on : put a plastic garbage bag on the ground beneath each wheel well....that makes it easy to slide the tire into position when re-installing the heavy wheel.

Last edited by ersatz928; 12-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I use these from https://www.reverselogic.us/shop.htm...ool/p/33249836 ,
Old 12-16-2017, 09:51 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ersatz928
The only minor annoyance of swapping the pads was that there is not much clearance between the back of the rear caliper and the plastic brake cooling duct, which limits how much of a small hammer swing you can make, even with a short punch, to get the retainer pins to seat fully back into the caliper.
I noticed the same thing. One pin on the right rear caliper didn't want to seat quite all the way in, but has not moved in 3k miles and nine months. Will try again next time I have the wheel off using a shorter punch and smaller hammer.

Originally Posted by Bikeman
...probably not quite the bite the Brembos have but If dust is down that’s ok.
Give them a bit more time to judge their performance relative to the stock Brembos. They won't bite as well after repeated stops in track use, but I won't encounter that in a street environment.

Last edited by iclick; 12-16-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:29 PM
VETTEKEDC7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wish I could help on these questions, but I have a 16 Z51 that I installed the PowerStops on. Only thing I can tell you is that after 5K on them, almost no dust, no squeaks, and for street driving they are incredibly similar in stopping power to the OEMs. Hope you have the same good experience I have had.

Get notified of new replies

To Powerstop installation

Quick Reply: Powerstop installation