Sponsored by:

Alarm with proximity sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Alarm with proximity sensor?

Anyone have an alarm installed on their C7 that features a proximity sensor?

At work where I park it daily there will be many 12-14 year old kids walking near it in the morning and the afternoon. I was thinking that a proximity sensor that would chirp when someone gets within a few feet might discourage anyone from getting too close to the car.

I realize false positives are an issue but I'd rather have too much discouragement than none at all. I'm not concerned with the classic alarm features like ignition deactivation or entry alarms. I'm specifically wanting people to keep their distance.

So will an alarm with a proximity sensor achieve this or do I need a different plan?

Also does the system included with 2LT include this sort of sensor? Any other suggestions?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Anyone have an alarm installed on their C7 that features a proximity sensor?

At work where I park it daily there will be many 12-14 year old kids walking near it in the morning and the afternoon. I was thinking that a proximity sensor that would chirp when someone gets within a few feet might discourage anyone from getting too close to the car.

I realize false positives are an issue but I'd rather have too much discouragement than none at all. I'm not concerned with the classic alarm features like ignition deactivation or entry alarms. I'm specifically wanting people to keep their distance.

So will an alarm with a proximity sensor achieve this or do I need a different plan?

Also does the system included with 2LT include this sort of sensor? Any other suggestions?
Here is a YouTube Video of one:
Amazon has it listed for $30. It is armed with a remote. Looks like you could mount in the rear near the battery so wire connections would be short.
My concern with kids as you mentioned, is it more fun to keep on setting it off after the first time they find it is installed!? Reminds me of the motion detector I put on my ’93 Vette. I traveled a lot and often parked it at the airport, always near where the attendant was located. Coming back after one trip she told me the alarm was going off continually on a very windy day! I reduced the sensitivity!
There is a motion detector on the inside of my 3LT but that only protects the interior. When my C7 was parked, the radar detector suction cup mount let go on a hot day and the alarm sensed the movement and went off. It told me there had been an intruder when I started the car. Fortunately I had put a thin stainless braded wire tether from the mount attached to the upper trim (used a fishing leader with clasps) so it only dropped about 4 inches and was just hanging. But that was enough to set off the alarm!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

although the one above that Jerry mentioned would most likely work.....IMHO, I would look at it this way..... you are talking about 12 to 14 your old kids.....and this may sound like its a bit like profiling, but in this day and age, within the "MANY" kids you are talking about, if just one of the "bad eggs" gets to close, they just may decide to pick up a rock....or worse yet a brick and heave it at your car..... personally, if you have no other option as to where you park, I would just leave well enough alone and not take the chance of antagonizing some 12 to 14 year old that your car pissed off.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
although the one above that Jerry mentioned would most likely work.....IMHO, I would look at it this way..... you are talking about 12 to 14 your old kids.....and this may sound like its a bit like profiling, but in this day and age, within the "MANY" kids you are talking about, if just one of the "bad eggs" gets to close, they just may decide to pick up a rock....or worse yet a brick and heave it at your car..... personally, if you have no other option as to where you park, I would just leave well enough alone and not take the chance of antagonizing some 12 to 14 year old that your car pissed off.
I was being kind when I said the kids might just have fun by continually setting it off! As you say there may be one showing off to his friends who will do something worse!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
Originally Posted by JerryU
I was being kind when I said the kids might just have fun by continually setting it off! As you say there may be one showing off to his friends who will do something worse!
And therein lies my greatest concern, it could actually be counterproductive and attract unwanted attention.

The thing is, this concern is all that stands between myself and my dream car, and I'm having a really difficult time finding a way around this obstacle.

I've thought about fully wrapping the doors in XPEL because they are what I'm most concerned about regarding vandalism. But that adds a huge penalty on to the price of the car. I'm starting to wonder if I just don't have the right environment to park a car like this in daily. That hurts to see in words and painfully admit.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

If you are that worried and concerned with where you are parking than you need to drive something else to work. A proximity alarm is not a solution.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (02-11-2019)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by docprego
And therein lies my greatest concern, it could actually be counterproductive and attract unwanted attention.

The thing is, this concern is all that stands between myself and my dream car, and I'm having a really difficult time finding a way around this obstacle.

I've thought about fully wrapping the doors in XPEL because they are what I'm most concerned about regarding vandalism. But that adds a huge penalty on to the price of the car. I'm starting to wonder if I just don't have the right environment to park a car like this in daily. That hurts to see in words and painfully admit.
With the hot sun where we are I used a small top only car cover for my C6 but one of my product magaers used a full car cover for his. We parked at the end of a ~500 car lot so few even came close! But only enployees were in the lot, no kids. His did stay nicer!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryU
With the hot sun where we are I used a small top only car cover for my C6 but one of my product magaers used a full car cover for his. We parked at the end of a ~500 car lot so few even came close! But only enployees were in the lot, no kids. His did stay nicer!
I thought a car cover was the clever answer to my problem. Until several people told me that it's a bad idea to cover a car daily. Mostly because you're putting it on a less than perfectly clean surface and the dust present could scratch the car with repeated application and removal of a cover.

Also I don't want to be "that guy".
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendation is to install a kill switch. Best and cheapest to prevent car theft

Get notified of new replies

To Alarm with proximity sensor?

Quick Reply: Alarm with proximity sensor?