Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Read the OP's review again. He believes the AS3+ ZP is a little softer/smoother than the OEM PSS ZP.

I don't recall anyone comparing the AS3+ ZP to the standard version, but I am running the standard version because ZPs weren't available at the time I purchased well over a year ago when the AS3+ first came out. I think the AS3+ standard tire version is a bit softer than the OEM ZP, but it's not dramatically softer. I have a fresh comparison because I just put the standards back on after running OEM PSS ZPs all summer.

I would have preferred the ZP version, and when I replace them that's what I'll purchase. ZP technology is light years better than when they first came out more than a decade ago, and are no longer noticeably harsher than standard tires. Yet, folks still hang on to the antiquated notion that ZP tires are much harsher than standard designs.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
For the GS/Z06, the Alpin tires (real winter stuff, not All Season)(non-runflats) were available from Tire rack, but not shown today. Possibly discontinued but most likely just out of stock.
I was looking on Tire Rack for these a couple of weeks ago and if I remember correctly they were showing up as out of stock for the season.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That always happens this time of year with winter tires. They sell out, and it takes a month or more for a new shipment to come in and sometimes not until the next winter season.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-09-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Read the OP's review again. He believes the AS3+ ZP is a little softer/smoother than the OEM PSS ZP.

I don't recall anyone comparing the AS3+ ZP to the standard version, but I am running the standard version because ZPs weren't available at the time I purchased well over a year ago when the AS3+ first came out. I think the AS3+ standard tire version is a bit softer than the OEM ZP, but it's not dramatically softer. I have a fresh comparison because I just put the standards back on after running OEM PSS ZPs all summer.

I would have preferred the ZP version, and when I replace them that's what I'll purchase. ZP technology is light years better than when they first came out more than a decade ago, and are no longer noticeably harsher than standard tires. Yet, folks still hang on to the antiquated notion that ZP tires are much harsher than standard designs.
I assume ZP rating means run flat? It will be interesting to see how the ZP run flat are reviewed here. I can hold out a bit to buy. Would really like to stick with a run flat with all the crap on roads, a smoother riding one would be great

Last edited by jtranger; 12-09-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It was time to replace the original tires on my '14 vert, and since it's my DD in western CO unless there is snow or ice on the road, I wanted all season tires. After looking at the options I got Michelin PS A/S 3 tires installed week. They're ZP and AS rated, so the right choice for me.

So far they are noticeably smoother, which surprised me a bit since they're ZP. They still have soft tread compound as they pick up loose gravel just like the PSS did when they were new. One very noticeable difference is that the scrubbing on slow tight turns is gone.

It was 16 degrees this morning when I drove to work. I kept it in Sport mode and got on it hard in a safe place to see how they'd hook up in temps that cold. They hooked up well with no loss of traction. Cost was just under $1,200 installed at Discount Tire, which is the only place I'll trust, and they made no attempt to sell me nitrogen. So far I'm happy with my choice.

I don't typically drive in snow, but will try them out when we get a bit on the roads and update this thread with my impressions of them in those conditions.

Obligatory pic:

Steve,
Did you order these directly from Discount tire or have then delivered from tire rack or another vendor?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
I was looking on Tire Rack for these a couple of weeks ago and if I remember correctly they were showing up as out of stock for the season.

Got mine from Tire Rack just before Thanksgiving and had them installed the next week. So far, i think they're great!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jtranger
Steve,
Did you order these directly from Discount tire or have then delivered from tire rack or another vendor?
Ordered them through Discount. Tire Rack would have been a few dollars cheaper but not enough to make a difference to me.

ZP means Zero Pressure, aka runflats.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
jtranger (12-09-2017), movinlow (01-26-2018)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I purchased a set of the Michelin Pilot A/S tires a few weeks ago. Love the ride and love knowing that I’ll have excellent traction on the cold and sometimes wet streets and freeways around here from now until next Spring/Summer.

Now I have to decide whether or not to keep the original Summer-only tires and install them for the track and summer driving or sell ‘em and go with the A/S set full-time.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:14 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

OEM MPSS with 2500 miles and MPS A/S3+ (non-run flat) with 0 miles.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

^ For what it's worth.
Here's what the Original A/S ZP tires look like with noticeably rounded edges compared to the New A/S 3 +.
Aside from improved rubber compound and tread design, there's less rounded edges for more rubber to road contact with the A/S 3 +
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dif; 12-09-2017 at 09:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
ElGreco53 (12-10-2017), Skid Row Joe (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

I also should have mentioned that I have the AS/3+ "ZP" and the steering and ride is much improved.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Once again, I'm begging you Michelin - start manufacturing these tires for the GS/Z06.

Please!!!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
^ For what it's worth.
Here's what the Original A/S ZP tires look like with noticeably rounded edges compared to the New A/S 3 +.
Aside from improved rubber compound and tread design, there's less rounded edges for more rubber to road contact with the A/S 3 +
The original ZP Michelin all seasons (back in C5/C6 days) cannot be compared to the new tires. I put a set of the original Michelin all seasons on my C6 and HATED them. Handled horribly, nannies were intruding all the time, not good.

The new A/S 3ZP seems to be worlds better, I have not driven a car with them.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

^ they didn't feel as precise on my C6 either.
Odd thing is they feel a lot better on my C7 w/Z51.
My guess is the Z51 suspension is tighter and I run more tire pressure than I used to.
Looking forward to the A/S 3+
Old 12-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DGA3
Once again, I'm begging you Michelin - start manufacturing these tires for the GS/Z06.

Please!!!
Be patient, Michelin has been "making" vaporware widebody winter tires for a decade.
When the C6 Z06 first came out (and later the GS), A/S tires were supposed to be available "soon". They just appeared this Fall, about 10 years late.

As Foosh pointed out, Michelin often runs out of Corvette winter tires early in the season and doesn't re-stock until next summer. The good news is that by next Fall you may be able to choose between the AS3+ and the Alpin, for C7 widebodies.

We bought our C7 Z51 in May and I bought the AS3+ runflats in August, just to avoid getting caught without them for an upcoming winter trip.
DGA3 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Be patient, Michelin has been "making" vaporware widebody winter tires for a decade.
When the C6 Z06 first came out (and later the GS), A/S tires were supposed to be available "soon". They just appeared this Fall, about 10 years late.

As Foosh pointed out, Michelin often runs out of Corvette winter tires early in the season and doesn't re-stock until next summer. The good news is that by next Fall you may be able to choose between the AS3+ and the Alpin, for C7 widebodies.

We bought our C7 Z51 in May and I bought the AS3+ runflats in August, just to avoid getting caught without them for an upcoming winter trip.

Patience, patience . . . . I know, but I just got the car, and I really won't be able to drive it much here in Ohio for a few months (as long as it has the summer only tires on it).

When the warm weather comes, however - it's time to have some fun!

Maybe by next winter Michelin will have those AS tires ready to go for my Z06.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

man I'm on the fence here. Want to replace my Bridgestones (horrible tire) and go back to Michelin. The OEM tires had gave me traction that was unrivaled, but the low turn tire hop and low mileage (20k) turns me off. I don't need sub freezing weather tires, rarely dips below 32 here, but the extra treadlife on these make them super appealing.

I'm above 80 degrees for over 6 months of the year, with 3 months of 90-100. Do these stick well in the heat, compared to OEM's? Cause these POS bridgestones don't, slippery as heck.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Review

Old 12-10-2017, 02:00 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I haven't noticed any mention of noise on this thread. The OEMs can be quite noisy at times, so an improvement here would be a big plus. Don't notice any difference between my current GS sizes and my old Stingray with Z51 tires.

I live in S. LA and temperature isn't an issue since the car isn't a DD and I'm never out when ambient is <40°, which it usually isn't during the day here. Did it on my trip back from MacMulkin (35-40°) last March and didn't notice any traction issues although it was all low-stress break-in cruising on the freeway. Would like to get an assessment of AS3+ traction on hot road, like >90° ambient in summer.

What about slow-turn tire hop? This doesn't bother me much but I'm curious if the AS3+ helps.

I would only consider these if noise, ride, overall traction, and durability were equal or improved. Wouldn't want to sacrifice much in any category and I would definitely opt for ZP. All that said, no sizes for my GS yet, but just thinking ahead.

Last edited by iclick; 12-10-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think the AS3+ is a little quieter.

The Ackerman-effect hop is also not evident at all, but that only happens on the OEM PSS when they are cool/cold, and the rubber compound is hard until tires are heated up. AS3+ rubber compound does not get nearly as hard when cool, so they don't produce the tight-turn hop, which is also why they provide better cold-weather traction.

I see the difference frequently in my very tight, downtown DC, underground parking garage. In the summer time, I don't get tire hop w/ the PSS when hot and parking after my commute. But leaving work in the evening when they are cold, I do hear it. On the AS3+, they don't hop at all cold or hot.

Originally Posted by rothchilds
man I'm on the fence here. Want to replace my Bridgestones (horrible tire) and go back to Michelin. The OEM tires had gave me traction that was unrivaled, but the low turn tire hop and low mileage (20k) turns me off. I don't need sub freezing weather tires, rarely dips below 32 here, but the extra treadlife on these make them super appealing.

I'm above 80 degrees for over 6 months of the year, with 3 months of 90-100. Do these stick well in the heat, compared to OEM's? Cause these POS bridgestones don't, slippery as heck.
AS3+ is not just better in sub-freezing temps, it's better in mild temps as well. The OEMs don't give you better traction than the AS3+ unless they are hot, usually above 80º pavement temps. Anytime the pavement temps are below 70º, AS3+ have superior grip. Since I've swapped between the two sets for 2 seasons now, I have a lot of experience w/ both in various temp profiles.

The AS3+ is also very good in hot temps, just not quite as good as the PSS when really pushing hard, such as on the track. The vast majority will never notice a performance difference on the street even in hot weather.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-10-2017 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
karlm (12-10-2017), rothchilds (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 02:27 PM
vfour
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/s 3+ ZP

Got my run flats Friday at Costco. $1127 out the door. 19 and 20....
Skid Row Joe (12-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Review